Midoztouch Discussion Forum

SUGGESTIONS & GUIDELINES FOR USE IN DISCUSSION FORUM

If you want to upload an album or songs to this section of the site, please ensure that it's not already on a physically available CD or one that's slated for future release on CD. By that we mean the actual Disc with artwork and packaging which you can physically hold in your hands.

To check on that availability, most often but not always on independent labels, the best sources  are reputable music traders like JB Hi Fi, Sydney's Red Eye Records & Timewarp's mail order division and for major label releases only, Sanity. Also check an artist's or a record label's online website ie Aztec Music, Raven or Canetoad Records. If you're still unsure then please ASK as someone is sure to know.

The minimum bitrate to upload at is 256kbps but must be 320 if ripping the music yourself.  Lower bit rates may only be accepted if there truly is no other option ie you are a 2nd or 3rd party . Many would disagree, but it's sometimes better to have something of extreme rarity in poor quality than not at all. But again ask if someone has a better rip before uploading your inferior one.

Artwork is highly desired but not a pre-requisite when uploading as someone in the group may be able to provide it later if you can't e.g. you have no scanner. However in all cases when posting an album in the discussion forum, please let us know if the CD art is included or not. If it is then is it

(a) the full artwork CD ready ie front & back cover scans, any gatefold inserts and tray insert. For best results we recommend scanning all 4 corners of L.P. covers before stitching so all information on the cover is available.
(b) just front & back only with no tray insert
(c) or just front cover scan only. The latter is to be discouraged completely unless you intend providing the back scan later. In which case wait till then & upload both.

ALWAYS: If providing art, please also list it as A SEPARATE LINK even if it is included with the main music file. This is so that others who only need the art don't have to download 80-100 mg of music they already own to get it.

Lastly, we appreciate that some here do have difficulty in stitching the scans together, so it is initially acceptable to upload unstitched scans. Someone may help & do the job for you, uploading these at a later stage. However it is strongly suggested that you keep practicing your own skills .

Midoztouch Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHAT IS AN AUSTRALIAN / NZ ARTIST?

After several years of posts on this forum, it seems that suddenly we have confusion as to what exactly an Aussie/NZ artist (I'll use Aussie to denote both countries but mean no offence to our NZ readers). I would have thought it was resonably self-explanatory but it's likewise partly understandable as we only recently included 1980's music, a decade which saw more & more performers recording Overseas than ever before, as well as earning international acclaim

By my interpretation, and to keep it as loose as possible, 'An Aussie artist" means:

A/ Any Aussie or New Zealand born artist or musician, or one born overseas who spent their formative years out here. They would have begun their career in Australia, even if they earned international acclaim & most of their recordings were made overseas. Many of our earlier performers also had to base themselves overseas to realize that recognition.
Artists would include the likes of Helen Reddy, Rick Springfield, Air Supply, Bee Gees (+ their solo projects & brother Andy), Peter Allen, Olivia Newton John, Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan, Steve Kipner & his various bands (Tin Tin/Friends/Skyband), Darryl Cotton's O'S bands (Friends/Cotton Lloyd & Christian) & soloist Trevor Gordon who later joined Aussie band the Gathering before heading to the UK to join his cousin Graham Bonnet in The Marbles.

We also need to consider Aussie musicians like John Williams & Kevin Peek of "Sky" & Trevor Spencer and Alan Tarney (Tarney Spencer Band & Quartet - with Peek & Terry Britten) but who began in Oz with Johnny Broome & The Handels and James Taylor Move (again both with Peek). Others to consider OK would be The New Seekers who included 2 Aussies who recorded solo out here before venturing O/S. They were Marty Kristian & Peter Doyle (also a Virgil Brother)

B/ The second bunch to consider OK would be performers born & who started their careers overseas but who recorded in Australia/NZ & spent a significant amount of time in our country. These would include only the Australian made recordings by the likes of Don Lane, Mike Preston, Pilita, Tommy Leonetti, Joe Dolce & Venetta Fields. It would not include any recordings made overseas prior to their move out here, nor any subsequent ones if they had returned home as in Pilita's case.

C/ The third category I'd allow would be a smaller group but would be overseas recording artists who recorded an album or single specifically for the Australian market. There are probably more examples but 2 that come immediately to mind are Dr. Hook's hit single "The Wild Colonial Boy" (to my knowledge never issued on any of the many Hook comps) & Neil Sedaka's Aussie recorded 1969 album "Workin' On A Groovy Thing" with an Aussie producer (the late great Pat Aulton) & Aussie musos

ALBUMS/SONGS THAT WOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED OK FOR INCLUSION:

A/ As stated above, recordings made by overseas immigrants to our country ie Leo Sayer, Graham Bonnett (solo & with Rainbow), Hank B. Marvin (of the Shadows), Venetta Fields (with the Ikettes/Blackbirds) & Dave Mills prior to their move to Australia will not be allowed retrospectively as they were not Aussies when these were recorded. Subsequent recordings after their move to Oz & if recorded here would be OK if not currently available. As an example Leo has at this stage, only recorded the one currently available album in Oz. It came out only last year & I've never read worse reviews for any of his albums. Nonethless if & when it's deleted we would OK this after a few months. Graham has not recorded at all out here to my knowledge.

B/ The 2nd & last category that won't be considered are hits by overseas performers, who recorded overseas but who's only or main chart successes were in Australia. These artists may have visited Australia to cash in on this success, but returned to their home countries as soon as they'd milked us for all they could to pursue further success at home which in most cases never came. These would be Countdown era acts like *****foot (ex-mixture Mick Flynn wrote & produced but she was promoted out her as a solist), Graham Bonnet's late 70's solo work & any number of acts that were played in the 60's when DJ's had a say in what they played.

Of course all of these artists will still only be allowed as long as the original albums are not currently available on CD.

I do hope that this helps to clarify the situation of what is considered Aussie & therefore what is allowed on the Midoztouch forum. I have tried to make it as wide reaching as possible but we must draw a line in the sand somewhere

Cheers, now let's get back to the music shall we

Cheers

Micko

Re: WHAT IS AN AUSTRALIAN / NZ ARTIST?

Mick,

Can you paste this in an area like to top of the page where you have instructions for how to set up downloads etc?

If this is your forum rules, then we can all mange to comply, I'm sure I can!

I know you think it has been clear for a long time but when I questioned you in January re the Dave Mills inclusion on Ozburn it got me wondering why some artists were included and some artists wern't...

Kiwi wrote to say he has removed Dave now from Ozburn...

Anyway, as usual my questioning mind has caused you some angst but as a result the forum has some new rules and Ozburn has eliminated an impostor.

Cheers and thanks,

Still your mate,

Tom

So by your definition Micko, Thane Russal & Three's Security would not be acceptable. Although they are a UK band with two 45s, possibly three. They didn't have a successful hit in their homecountry but a top five hit here.

Tom I've set the forum so that this post stays at the top of the page always & will be easily accessable to those wanting a refresher on what's allowed. But this should cover all of that & I don't see any need to repeat myself after this.

The only possible queries should be about what's currently available, but as has always been the case, ask if you're not sure

As to the other sitauation on the P u s s yfoot post, my friend. After seemingly days of endlessly repeating myself about our aims & guidelines, on top of Easter celebrations & having visitors staying over for the long w/e with the usual lack of sleep such things engendre, I'm afraid I did perhaps over-react to the posts by you & Gruntrat. But you both did stir the pot rather blatantly when I was obviously NOT in a good mood for such things

Nonethless I too apologise for perhaps over-reacting & of course you can include your website addresses when you post. Perhaps next time ya naughty boys, you can leave any potentially contentious issues for a time when I have not had to constantly re-iterate what is there for all to see.

Thanks for that

Micko

Stampy
So by your definition Micko, Thane Russal & Three's Security would not be acceptable. Although they are a UK band with two 45s, possibly three. They didn't have a successful hit in their homecountry but a top five hit here.

That's correct Stampy as Thane's Three were never at any stage a resident band in Australia. The only possible way around this would be on compilations similar to the 3 Volume "I Used To Hear That On The Radio". That set had a few O/S artists with oz only hits by the likes of Buzz Cason, Duke Baxter, Larry Henley (of the Newbeats)& Tom Northcott. But the set is predominantly Australian artists.

Hopefully that's the 1st & last time I'll need to clarify what I said above.

Cheers

Micko

I notice the forum has censored p-u-ss-y-foot (maybe it doesn't like cats).

Now, my question: Is there, somewhere, a definitive list of Aussie artists?

I will be digitising "Steph and Us" shortly, which mainly features the jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli. Shortly before his death the great man visited Australia and recorded this early digital recording on the Cherry Pie label with Don Burrows and George Golla.

Does this one qualify Micko?

ratso
I will be digitising "Steph and Us" shortly, which mainly features the jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli. Shortly before his death the great man visited Australia and recorded this early digital recording on the Cherry Pie label with Don Burrows and George Golla.

Does this one qualify Micko?

Considering that the majority of musicians were Australian, and it was Recorded in Australia then I assume it would qualify - just as Neil Sedaka's Working on a Groovy Thing LP which was recorded here with local musicians.

Actually Micko describes such a situation here:

C/ The third category I'd allow would be a smaller group but would be overseas recording artists who recorded an album or single specifically for the Australian market. There are probably more examples but 2 that come immediately to mind are Dr. Hook's hit single "The Wild Colonial Boy" (to my knowledge never issued on any of the many Hook comps) & Neil Sedaka's Aussie recorded 1969 album "Workin' On A Groovy Thing" with an Aussie producer (the late great Pat Aulton) & Aussie musos

so there is your answer - post away

That Grey's Anatomy DVD combined with the fact that everyone in the show was incredibly hilarious and differnt from each other, the show strayed from the usual sense of shows and brought something new and fascinating to tv. Bones DVD It didn't just remain a drama, or just a comedy. The storylines are so twisted, surprising and exciting, that even if you plan on watching one episode, you end up watching five!! Plus, there is a good mixture of drama, tragedy and humour, which keeps you wanting more. Lastly, it has an amazing soundtrack! The Big Bang Theory DVD The music goes really well with what's happening and really heightens the atmosphere, and in sad scenes, I can't help but get welled-up. Grey's Anatomy is amazing! Grey's Anatomy is my favorite program ever! Hide I miss Grey's Anatomy so much now that the writers strike has ended it too, The L Word DVD along with all the other good shows! Grey's Anatomy is my favourite program ever! I saw that the guys here are so hott. AKA mcdreamy! He caught my eye literaly during the start of grey’s anatomy it was already, interesting. every episode, there was already something to look forwarrd to. Curb Your Enthusiasm DVD The stories are unique, the characters are unique. The finales are alwaya great and the premieres! I hope this show goes on for a long time, it's a can't miss one! I love the relationship between Meredith and Christina, George and Izzy, and I think that Bailey's just amazing! They definetly cast the right people! I'm on the 5th or 6th episode of the 4th season and can't wait to see what happens...especially with Meredith-Derek, and Meredith-sister.