Midoztouch Discussion Forum

SUGGESTIONS & GUIDELINES FOR USE IN DISCUSSION FORUM

If you want to upload an album or songs to this section of the site, please ensure that it's not already on a physically available CD or one that's slated for future release on CD. By that we mean the actual Disc with artwork and packaging which you can physically hold in your hands.

To check on that availability, most often but not always on independent labels, the best sources  are reputable music traders like JB Hi Fi, Sydney's Red Eye Records & Timewarp's mail order division and for major label releases only, Sanity. Also check an artist's or a record label's online website ie Aztec Music, Raven or Canetoad Records. If you're still unsure then please ASK as someone is sure to know.

The minimum bitrate to upload at is 256kbps but must be 320 if ripping the music yourself.  Lower bit rates may only be accepted if there truly is no other option ie you are a 2nd or 3rd party . Many would disagree, but it's sometimes better to have something of extreme rarity in poor quality than not at all. But again ask if someone has a better rip before uploading your inferior one.

Artwork is highly desired but not a pre-requisite when uploading as someone in the group may be able to provide it later if you can't e.g. you have no scanner. However in all cases when posting an album in the discussion forum, please let us know if the CD art is included or not. If it is then is it

(a) the full artwork CD ready ie front & back cover scans, any gatefold inserts and tray insert. For best results we recommend scanning all 4 corners of L.P. covers before stitching so all information on the cover is available.
(b) just front & back only with no tray insert
(c) or just front cover scan only. The latter is to be discouraged completely unless you intend providing the back scan later. In which case wait till then & upload both.

ALWAYS: If providing art, please also list it as A SEPARATE LINK even if it is included with the main music file. This is so that others who only need the art don't have to download 80-100 mg of music they already own to get it.

Lastly, we appreciate that some here do have difficulty in stitching the scans together, so it is initially acceptable to upload unstitched scans. Someone may help & do the job for you, uploading these at a later stage. However it is strongly suggested that you keep practicing your own skills .

Midoztouch Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MANIKINS - MANIKINS

Sunshine, here is the “Manikins” album that I promised you last month. I hope this stops the itch.

TRACK LISTING:

01. What Are You On?
02. Happy People
03. Cruel World
04. Scent
05. Life Underground
06. Love Building
07. As Time Goes By
08. Ivory Tower
09. Hurts A Bit
10. Spanish Ditty
11. Dracula's Slut

The Manikins are:
Christine Bodey - Vocals
Bradley Clark - 12 & 6 string guitar
Alexander Nettelbeck - Keyboards & Piano
Mark (Cup of Tea) Betts - Drums

Guest musicians include Venetta Fields, Shirley Matthews, Joe Creighton and Cattle Truck’s “little big horns”.

Ian “Big” MacKenzie produced “What Are You On?”, with David Courtney producing the remainder of the album. Recording sessions were held at Platinum Studios in Melbourne and the LP was released on CBS 450494 1 in 1987. Bradley Clark wrote all tracks, with the exception of “Cruel World” which he co-wrote with Christine Bodey.

MUSIC ONLY:
Ripped @ 320 kbps from vinyl LP
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U6OZ6TAG

ARTWORK ONLY:
As this is my first attempt at stitching LP scans, I hope they are OK. Many thanks to Woodynet, once again, for helping me get started.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZRHJW3PZ

Cheers,
RAM

Re: MANIKINS - MANIKINS

RAM - Thanks for this one. I appreciate you posting it.

I've had the Cruel World single off the album for years now and it really impressed me. I understand that this was their only album.

Thanks for this one RAM. Under-rated and all-too emphemeral this band. I have another track "Dictator's Dream" which was the b-side of What Are You On? I will post this on the weekend for the sake of completeness.

Thanks RAM,

i nearly let this one slide as i thought i already had it! but as it turns out this is not the MANIKINS i thought it was ! There was a Perth Band in 1978 called "The Manikins" who where

Mark Betts - Drums
Neil Fernandes - Guitar Vox
Robbie Porritt - Vox
Ken Symour - bass

Emerged in May '78 from the embers of the early punk scene via a brief period as the Remnants of the Cheap Nasties. Toured the east coast in 79, they released 2 singles

I Never Thought I'd Find Someone Who Could Be so Kind / Radio World
and
Premonition / Laugh too Loud

and an album "The Manikins" released on CD on Two Tribes Records #ttrcd01 in 2004. The albums was recorded at Sweetcorn Studios and recorded about 50 songs live first time mistakes and all, the songs on the album are the bands favorites and the ones with the fewer mistakes.

Anyway back to Manikins, i too have had the Cruel World EP for many many years and never thought an album had been released, so thanks again for the opportunity.

cheers

woodynet

Thanks RAM

Hagar

woodynet
i nearly let this one slide as i thought i already had it! but as it turns out this is not the MANIKINS i thought it was ! There was a Perth Band in 1978 called "The Manikins" who where

Mark Betts - Drums
Neil Fernandes - Guitar Vox
Robbie Porritt - Vox
Ken Symour - bass

There is a sort of band history Woodynet. The Perth punk-pop band "The Manikins" disbanded in the early 80's. By that stage I think singer Robert Porritt and drummer Mark Betts were the only original band members left standing anyway. Mark Betts then later retained the name "Manikins" and formed a new version of the band, featuring Christine Bodey on vocals, and a new-romantic/synth-pop style. Certainly a far cry from his original band heritage!!

Cheers

Here is, as far as I know anyway, the only song they recorded not on the album plus scans of the two picture singles. The song is called Dictator's Dream and was written by Bradley Clark.

Music (vinyl rip @ 320)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZNGU1063

Singles picture covers
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W4RJ8UA7

Now this post is more complete!!

Thanks ratso....proper job!!!

I have the CD and the CDS. Although the tracks on the CDS appear identical to the Albums.

If its OK and someone wants the MP3 or Flac I would be happy to post.

Manikins (1987) (11 tracks)  47:35

01 What Are You On 03:04
02 Happy People 04:05
03 Cruel World 03:57
04 Scent 03:31
05 Life Underground 06:03
06 Love Building 03:31
07 As Time Goes By 03:25
08 Ivory Tower 04:55
09 Hurts A Bit 04:29
10 Spanish Ditty 05:56
11 Dracula's Slut 04:39

Cruel World (1987) (3 tracks)  11:46

01 Cruel World 04:00
02 What Are You On 03:05
03 Dracula's Slut 04:41

Cheers

Trekker,

I for one would like the album in CD quality rather than my vinyl rip. 320kbps MP3 would be great.

From the running times, the tracks on the Cruel World single appear to be the album versions. Correct?

Many thanks for the offer.

Cheers,
RAM

Hi Trekker

Hopefully you'll post the CD version of this.

Would it also be possible to post the artwork of of the CD single version

thanks

Sunshine

I'll flac these over this coming weekend. Will include scans for both.

Cheers.

Had some time available so ripped the CD's
File format is Flac, Convert to MP3 if suits.

Links in following text file

http://hotfile.com/dl/76135290/294be8b/Manikins.txt.html

Artwork Included in file sets

Enjoy

Thank you Trekker. But your file reads 0 MB?

Just tested the file and it worked fine for me.
If you try d/l within an hour of it being posted it can give reports of zero length.

Give it another go.

Or email and I'll post the txt file

Cheers

brett
The link is to a small text file Brett. It's only a few bytes in size, so HotFile (just like RS and MU) doesn't register the filesize and displays 0mb - but the file really is there and will download without problem (so quickly you probably won't even notice it has downloaded). The text file contains the links to the FLAC archives elsewhere on HotFile, so you will need that.

There's around 440mb in 5 parts to download (all in FLAC format), and it's HotFile so those without HF accounts will have a long wait to download all the required parts.

If preferred, and OK with Trekker, I can convert the FLAC files to mp3@320, re-package the archives, and re-up to my RapidShare account. That could make it a bit easier for some to access?

Cheers

motcher76
brett
The link is to a small text file Brett. It's only a few bytes in size, so HotFile (just like RS and MU) doesn't register the filesize and displays 0mb - but the file really is there and will download without problem (so quickly you probably won't even notice it has downloaded). The text file contains the links to the FLAC archives elsewhere on HotFile, so you will need that.

There's around 440mb in 5 parts to download (all in FLAC format), and it's HotFile so those without HF accounts will have a long wait to download all the required parts.

If preferred, and OK with Trekker, I can convert the FLAC files to mp3@320, re-package the archives, and re-up to my RapidShare account. That could make it a bit easier for some to access?

Cheers

Thanks motcher76 for your help. I understand it now. Downloading the album now, as i already have the CD single. I have a converter to change it to wav or mp3.

New text file link

Included Flac & MP3 files on Hotfile and Rapidshare servers

Should have done this before (apologies)

http://hotfile.com/dl/76337435/c81a8da/Manikins_-_HFRS.txt.html

Cheers.

I am desperately trying to get an mp3 copy of 'Cruel World' by Manikins..
Does anyone have just the single file of that particular song that they can send to my email address as an attachment PLEASE?

The link to the mp3 file is not working.

Any help or at least a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

dj ronnie james

dj ronnie james
I am desperately trying to get an mp3 copy of 'Cruel World' by Manikins..
Does anyone have just the single file of that particular song that they can send to my email address as an attachment PLEASE?

The link to the mp3 file is not working.

Any help or at least a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

dj ronnie james

Here you go:

Cruel World

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8I83OZMW

Thanks Brett

Hagar

I have the original vinyl single of "Cruel world" backed with "Dracula's Slut" in mint condition if you are interested.....

Hi those chatting here... my name is Brad Clark... I was in the Manikins... in fact from the early Perth days. Actually I do not have a copy of this ****.
Old McKenzie and some guy who mixed, Roger Daltrey, David… someone… and CBS records at the time, in my view completely screwed the sound and the intent.
It was supposed to be skiffle, lots of guitars, even crazier. But between various band members and this pressure it was 80s ised, with lots of digital reverb, click tracks, which were unnecessary as Mark Betts is very precise… a great creative individual and drummer, flattened.
The record company signed us on some rough but raw and fairly cool demos, and then proceeded to make product. What a mess. Ah it is a well told story…
I went on to make guitars with Maton… and then Cole Clark guitars: Neither do they appreciate my ‘talents’.
So I now I live in China… a copy of some of this **** would be kind of funny.
I am trying to think of the name of the guy with the original demos. He was a friend of Phil Maracas… forgive the spelling... a onetime keyboard and bass player in the band, and kept the demos… he might be dead by now for all I know. They were, as I say better, good. At least interesting. Cruel World was just guitars… What are you On was… raw, more acoustic guitar.
The rest… turned into a nightmare.
I tried to write the songs around Christine’s voice… Poor Christine did not come out of it so well.
Some of the earlier stuff was also interesting… both before Neil Fernandes left… which was a matter of great regret. He was and remains an unrecognised talent of a guitar player, writer, and ‘a good man’… and after he left.
But there you go.

Hi Brad,

It's great to hear from you.

Thanks for the "inside story" on the album. I can relate to your 80ised comment. To my ears, there was a lot of good music in the 80's that was ruined by the production and is almost unlistenable these days.

For all your frustration with how the album turned out, I think it holds up much better than a lot of others of the day. That said, I'd love to hear the demos... it sounds like an opportunity was lost.

Cheers,
RAM

Hi Ram,
Mmm… I had to research myself for a reference here in China… hopefully I will be able to download the album.
I have some of the Perth demos back in Australia on reel to reel. I have no idea if the other stuff still exists, and I had no idea that anyone had any interest. Some of it is really awful.
I have met with Neil a few times… even gave him a guitar I made… nice to be able to… and I know he is more pro-active about this stuff. The old Manikin gigs in Perth, that place, a tavern, near the university, (Vin Breslin… I think his name was did the mixes…) and even some that I played at some place in Northbridge, were some of the best I have been to…
Brad C

It's great to read all this on Manikins / Christine Bodey times. I have the album on vinyl in mint cond and was lucky enough to just last week track it down in Melb on CD, again mint, for $10. Gotta love that. There really is some great musicianship on the album.
Happy memories !

I remember seeing the band live in Melb in '87.

Unfortunately my vinyl is now gone and all these links are dead.

Any chance we can get something back up?

A few years late in posting this. Just found the conversation. Was a big fan and still have the album. Remember seeing lots of gigs in Melbourne with friends. Even remember heading back to I think Christine's and Brads pad in I think hardware lane in the city one very hot late night with a bunch of friends and got to listen to Christine sing and Brad play acoustic up stair in an old loft. Was sad the band split after trying other countries. I think Christine went to the usa, and soon after the band split. A manager or RRR friend of mine said the Christine visited, I think sprooking some tapes. Not shore what happened after then. I believe she may still be singing. Would be good to hear her again.

If this is the same Christine Bodey, then I suspect she is not doing so well:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/christine-bodey/84/b36/361

(She's also on Facebook.)