Midoztouch Discussion Forum

SUGGESTIONS & GUIDELINES FOR USE IN DISCUSSION FORUM

If you want to upload an album or songs to this section of the site, please ensure that it's not already on a physically available CD or one that's slated for future release on CD. By that we mean the actual Disc with artwork and packaging which you can physically hold in your hands.

To check on that availability, most often but not always on independent labels, the best sources  are reputable music traders like JB Hi Fi, Sydney's Red Eye Records & Timewarp's mail order division and for major label releases only, Sanity. Also check an artist's or a record label's online website ie Aztec Music, Raven or Canetoad Records. If you're still unsure then please ASK as someone is sure to know.

The minimum bitrate to upload at is 256kbps but must be 320 if ripping the music yourself.  Lower bit rates may only be accepted if there truly is no other option ie you are a 2nd or 3rd party . Many would disagree, but it's sometimes better to have something of extreme rarity in poor quality than not at all. But again ask if someone has a better rip before uploading your inferior one.

Artwork is highly desired but not a pre-requisite when uploading as someone in the group may be able to provide it later if you can't e.g. you have no scanner. However in all cases when posting an album in the discussion forum, please let us know if the CD art is included or not. If it is then is it

(a) the full artwork CD ready ie front & back cover scans, any gatefold inserts and tray insert. For best results we recommend scanning all 4 corners of L.P. covers before stitching so all information on the cover is available.
(b) just front & back only with no tray insert
(c) or just front cover scan only. The latter is to be discouraged completely unless you intend providing the back scan later. In which case wait till then & upload both.

ALWAYS: If providing art, please also list it as A SEPARATE LINK even if it is included with the main music file. This is so that others who only need the art don't have to download 80-100 mg of music they already own to get it.

Lastly, we appreciate that some here do have difficulty in stitching the scans together, so it is initially acceptable to upload unstitched scans. Someone may help & do the job for you, uploading these at a later stage. However it is strongly suggested that you keep practicing your own skills .

Forum: Midoztouch Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Billy Thorpe Plaque at Sunbury Festival

Dave is spot on:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150228801615927&set=a.437027445926.231651.22755990926&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150228801900927&set=a.437027445926.231651.22755990926&type=1&theater

Email  

Dave and Neb-Maat-Re, thanks for the info and links.

You can get a real good aerial look at the site using Nearmap.
Here's how.
Go to http://www.nearmap.com/
Accept and click on personal user link at the bottom.
In the search field type in "Duncans Lane, Diggers Rest, VIC"
Navigate north until you get to the end of Duncans Lane. ZooM in and you will see the ACTUAL memorial.

Unreal. I must go there for a look see one day soon.

cheers,
Branko

Be warned.....long post ahead...
(For those interested... read on.)

Today, (with the missus), I finally found some time to go and find Billy Thorpe's memorial at the Sunbury Festival Site. It is actually at Diggers Rest. For the festivals, the Sunbury name was adopted as it sounded better that Diggers Rest. I also went for a walk onto hallowed ground...The site of the Sunbury Pop Festivals. 1972/3/4/5.

Drove from the east along Buller - Diggers Rest Rd and we missed the turn off to Duncans lane. Went all the way to the Diggers Rest Hotel that was shown in the 1972 Sunbury footage, where the hotel shut it's doors and Police wearing Pith Helmets arrested many young hotel patrons.
I was so very very saddend to see only a burnt out structure of what was a 161 year old hotel. What a mess and such a shame to have lost a piece of Melbourne History. It burnt down 29th Oct 2008.

After spending some time there, We went back to Duncans lane. At the end of this lane is a small car park area and just beyond that is a park bench and in front of it is Billy Thorpe's memorial. Some A-holes put deep scrathes into it. No Respect...

From there I took a long walk all the way down to the Sunbury site, right down to the where the stage would have been setup just in front of Jacksons Creek. Standing there, brought back so many memories of my time there in 3 visits to that site back in 73,74 & 75.

Dissapointly, there were no signs of any kind, what so ever, that there was ever a festival held there. NOTHING. The area is overgrown and even the opposite hillside looked different. I compared the video I took today with the 1972 Sunbury video and the opposite hillside has lost its deep grooves. I suppose over the years lots of dirt has filled in the ruts. Looks a little different, as the top lip of the hillside had exposed rocks which was not visible in the 72 Sunbury footage.

Anyway, for those that would like to visit this historic site, it is very easy to get to and well worth the trip out there.

Cheers,
Branko

Branko,
thank you for taking the time to write about your revisit to Sunbury. A good read.

Cheers,
Ian

Hi All,
In my last post, I mentioned that when I walked down to the Sunbury Site, that something just did not feel right. Well, I had justification for those feelings. I have now discovered that I was indeed not at the Sunbury Music Festival Site after all. I now have proof where the Festival was actually held. Here is the proof.
Visit Youtube and perform a search for "DEEP PURPLE SUNBURY 75" or if you prefer, here is the direct link to that video clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-xA4ZfmoP8
Watch closely and wait till you get to about 1:33 and pause it. Check out the 4 rectangular structures in the Left corner of the video. These, I believe, were the permanent Toilet Blocks that George Duncan Snr allowed the Festival organises to build there. Now, as before, go to Google Maps and search for "Duncans Lane Diggers Rest". At the end of Duncans Lane is indeed the Billy Thorpe Memorial. Now Zoom out and travell to the right, to the next bend. Zoom in and there you will see what is left of the 4 Toilet Blocks Concrete pads which comprise of 2 large blocks and then 2 smaller blocks, just as is shown in the video clip. It even shows the festival roads that were used all those years ago. Google maps shows that area as belonging to The Holden Flora and Fauna Reserve. Also, If you locate that site in www.nearmaps.com, you will see it as it was one month ago, lots of motor bike tracks. This means I am now on a quest to Revisit it and will try to make contact with the council to get permission to take some film footage and pictures of that very special place. Just need to work out how to get across over there, because access may not be too easy.

Anyway, I hope that clears up somethings.
Cheers, Branko