Midoztouch Discussion Forum

SUGGESTIONS & GUIDELINES FOR USE IN DISCUSSION FORUM

If you want to upload an album or songs to this section of the site, please ensure that it's not already on a physically available CD or one that's slated for future release on CD. By that we mean the actual Disc with artwork and packaging which you can physically hold in your hands.

To check on that availability, most often but not always on independent labels, the best sources  are reputable music traders like JB Hi Fi, Sydney's Red Eye Records & Timewarp's mail order division and for major label releases only, Sanity. Also check an artist's or a record label's online website ie Aztec Music, Raven or Canetoad Records. If you're still unsure then please ASK as someone is sure to know.

The minimum bitrate to upload at is 256kbps but must be 320 if ripping the music yourself.  Lower bit rates may only be accepted if there truly is no other option ie you are a 2nd or 3rd party . Many would disagree, but it's sometimes better to have something of extreme rarity in poor quality than not at all. But again ask if someone has a better rip before uploading your inferior one.

Artwork is highly desired but not a pre-requisite when uploading as someone in the group may be able to provide it later if you can't e.g. you have no scanner. However in all cases when posting an album in the discussion forum, please let us know if the CD art is included or not. If it is then is it

(a) the full artwork CD ready ie front & back cover scans, any gatefold inserts and tray insert. For best results we recommend scanning all 4 corners of L.P. covers before stitching so all information on the cover is available.
(b) just front & back only with no tray insert
(c) or just front cover scan only. The latter is to be discouraged completely unless you intend providing the back scan later. In which case wait till then & upload both.

ALWAYS: If providing art, please also list it as A SEPARATE LINK even if it is included with the main music file. This is so that others who only need the art don't have to download 80-100 mg of music they already own to get it.

Lastly, we appreciate that some here do have difficulty in stitching the scans together, so it is initially acceptable to upload unstitched scans. Someone may help & do the job for you, uploading these at a later stage. However it is strongly suggested that you keep practicing your own skills .

Midoztouch Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SHOW AND TELL: The Bobbi Marchini Collection

I know a few of you have commented favourably about the huge vocal talents of Bobbi Marchini. Some like Richard coz he remembers, others because they've only just discovered here from hearing the Duck album & her work on the Grass soundtrack which is available on Midoztouch

Now here's the real treat. A couple of years ago, Bobbi & I collaborated on compiling all of her work for herrself & a few close friends & family. Now Bobbi has kindly allowed me to upload the 2 disc set to Midoztouch for all to enjoy.

The first CD contains all her officially released stuff including all of her lead vocals with Duck, The A & B sides of her 4 singles, the single she recorded with 2 other tonsil testers in Alison MacCallum & Janice Slater as The Hooter Sisters, the 2 tracks she performed on John Robinson's Pity For The Victim album & her songs from Grass: A Rock Musical. On all she proves what a truly awesome singer she is, in styles ranging from hard rock to pop, progresive & soul influenced music.

But for the 2nd disc, Bobbi was good enough to dig into her own archives & came up with another discs worth of unreleased demos & live material. Along with her versions of Piece Of My Heart & a unique take on Here Comes The Sun, on this disc she further extends her musical pallette into jazz & blues territory also.

I do hope ya like it. Withe her deep, but huge raspy vocals (lotsa grunt as Bobbi says ) this gal coulda & shoulda been huge if she'd had good management. The track listing is:

SHOW AND TELL: The Bobbi Marchini Collection
CD 1:
DUCK: "Laid" L.P. (07/72)
1/ Buried Alive In The Blues - 2.37 (Nick Gravenites):
2/ Southern Man (Neil Young) - 2.34:
3/ Anyway You Want Me - 3.45 (Chip Taylor) w/ Jon English)
4/ How Long Before I'm Gone - 3.59(Michael Zager/Aram Schefrin)
5/ Ain't No Sunshine - 3.22 (Bill Withers)
6/ Mother - 4.25 (John Lennon)

The SINGLES:
7/ A/ Your'e The Hand That Feeds My Love (And Won't Bite You) - 3.26 (Simon
Napier Bell) (02/72)
8/ B/ London Town - 3.43 (Harry Vanda/George Young) (02/72)
9/ A/ Home - 3.35 (*Harry Vanda/George Young) (05/72)
10/ B/ I Love You Lord - 3.11 (Sven Libek) (05/72)
11/ A/ Working My Way Back To You - 3.18 (Harry Vanda/George Young) (01/73)
12/ B/ I Found My Way - 3.08 (Ted Mulry) (01/73)
13/ A/ Show And Tell - 3.14 (Jerry Fuller) (12/73)
14/ B/ Voodoo Woman - 2.12 (Bobbi Marchini/Chris Gilbey/Bobby Gebert)(12/73)

The HOOTER SISTERS (w/ Alison MacCallum & Janice Slater)
15/ A/ To Know Him Is To Love Him - 2.40 (Phil Spector) (10/74)
16/ B/ So Tough - 3.20 (Chris Gilbey/Janice Slater/George Brodbeck) (10/74)

John ROBINSON: "Pity For The Victim" L.P. (07/74)
17/ Let The Sun Touch The Earth - 3.57 (John Robinson/John Spooner)
18/ Whirlpool - 2.58 (John Robinson/John Spooner)

"GRASS: A Rock Musical" L.P. **(06??/74)
19/ Love Is Stillness - 4.51 (Sven Libaek/Avater Linden)
20/ Judge Me - 3.27 (Sven Libaek/Avater Linden)
21/ Multiply - 9.11 (Sven Libaek/Avater Linden)

Disc 2:
BOBBI: Rare And Unreleased

1/ Proud To Be A Honky Woman -2.58 (Peter Gage)
2/ Piece Of My Heart -2.51 (Jerry Ragavoy/Bert Berns)
3/ Since I Fell For You - 3.45 (Buddy Johnson)
4/ Travellin' Light - 2.30 (Johnny Mercer/Trummy Young/Jimmy Mundy)
5/ Here Comes The Sun -3.14 (George Harrison)
6/ Feel Like Making Love -2.55 (Gene McDaniels)
7/ Life On Mars - 3.20(David Bowie)
8/ Light A Light For Me -2.50 (Janis Ian)
9/ In The Winter - 2.29 (Janis Ian)
w/ SOUTHERN COMFORT 2004 Reunion Live)
10/ Tramp - 5.16 (Lowell Fulsom/Jimmy McCracklin) (Live)
LIVE RADIO BROADCAST '76
11/ Travellin' Light (Live) -3.33 (Johnny Mercer/Trummy Young/Jimmy Mundy)

Disc 1 is available here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K22I96HL

Disc 2 & artwork to follow. If you enjoy this, I'm sure if you show your appreciation we may even be able to get Bobbi to leave a message here herself

Cheers & enjoy this

Micko

Re: SHOW AND TELL: The Bobbi Marchini Collection

Great work Micko, a real treat. If there is one thing i love more than my wife or a cold one on a hot summers day, it is our very own gal singers. In my opinion "the best!" My corpustles are "pustling" overtime, listening to these "girls" all over again.

Fantastic collection Mick have you or Bobbi thought about offering this to Raven or Aztec or one of the other revival lables cos' this is right up there.

Deutros.

Micko

I was one who only found out about Bobbi through the Duck posting but what a talent. I am really looking forward to disk 2 what an absolute belter of an album.

Regards

Rhod

Thanks for this one Micko ... I see from her website she began performing live at the age of 14

Micko and Bobbi,
B.T.U. A very BIG THUMBS UP!!!!

jimijac

Bobbi!!!! What A Voice!!!!
Micko how long will we have to hold our breath for the 2nd disk?

Here ya go Wurffy & others who were holding their breathe

Bobbi Marchini: Show & Tell- Rare And Unreleased

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWJ97391

As you might expect from the title, these unreleased recordings are not of CD quality & have come from a variety of tape sources. However the performances survive intact & for that we can be very grateful to Bobbi for allowing us access to this priceless stuff.

My fave? Like Bobbi, it's the old standard "Since I Fell For You", but for those who prefer rock belter Bobbi she rips up the mike on the first 2 tracks, "Honky Woman" & Janis' Piece Of My Heart. A gorgeous retake of the Beatles Here Comes The Sun also. Then there's the cool jazz of Billie Holiday's Travellin' Light, a lesser known Janis Ian song (In The Winter) which is sublime & an interesting take on Bowie's Life On Mars. Plus a live version of Travelling Light & another live cut from the 2004 Southern Comfort reunion shows(SC were her 1st band with former Missing Link..now actor Andy [James] Anderson) And despite an absence of nearly 30 years, Bobbi proves she still has it in spades.

Hope ya like it. Artwork to follow tonight.

Micko

PS Erle's on his way up too, but Megaupload is mega-slow again today so may still be an hour or more away

Micko, Haven't listened yet, but looking forward to it. Mate I reckon I've been around a little bit, but I have never heard of this girl. Still, you haven't steered us wrong yet, so here we go. Thanx again mate for your generosity and for sharing these things with us all. On Australia Day, you should be recognised for your patronage of Oz music.

Totally agree with your comments Colin.
Micko and Paul, and now perhaps Bobby, deserve some sort of mention in Oz music despatches. Along with Aztec, Liberation, Raven etc. Keep up the grouse work you all do around here. It is very much appreciated by all.

jimijac

Thats Micko, Paul and ROBBO. Sorry!
Cletis Carr's Hillbilly Moon is Gold

jimijac

Thanks guys. Colin you must let me know what you think after you have a listen to Bobbi. Unless you have diverse tastes you may not enjoy all of it but i'm sure you'll enjoy some of it a lot.

But be buggered if I know how the ****ed catchy Vanda & Young written & produced "London Town" wasn't a major hit. But ya could say that about her fine hard rock performances on the Duck album too. Still at least Qld & the ACT had the good sense to make her other V & Y single "Show & Tell" a Top 3 record on the local charts.

BTW Bobbi was chuffed to know that you all enjoyed the 1st CD. TO quote "Blimey!! They like me...maybe I should do a botox and come on back and rock the world..tee hee hee" I think there's a few here who'd like to see her do just that. However having seen some recent photos, I can assure you she don't need no botox. Must try & get her to send a post here if she'll come out of hibernation

Well enuff from me

Cheers

Micko

Thanks Micko and Bobbi for cd2. By the way, "London Town" is my favourite from cd1! Sexy!! Yes, it would be good to see "the" girls come out from hiding and maybe release something "for the times". Britny *&^%$^& Spears is making a mint just by being a !!$%,! Imagine the impact of an onslaught of our gals on the market today. Kylie, anyone? If i was Packer, i would be backing `em!

Thanx Micko. She has got a great set of chords, though the genre is not my favourite. She reminds me a bit of Irma Thomas, who is well worth hunting down if you are a fan of the big voice. Show and Tell is a cracker, and her version of Southern Man was really interesting. Re the comments regarding Britney et al from "oz". Maybe that is a subject for another thread. It seems that talent and hard work isn't enough in the music industry!

Thanks for Disc 2 Micko. These I din't have and did'nt know about.

Hi All....Hi Mikey. I've never really thanked you for all the hard work you've done for me ..and others. It's hard to believe that after all these years there are people out there appreciating my music and it's been because of you!
It's a mixed bag of stuff. Record companies didnt have any idea of what to do with my strange voice so they did weird things like put a soft song as a B side to a hard one (London Town/You're the hand)
It wasnt easy for women performers back then ..but that's been talked about forever. The most important thing was it was the best time in Sydney music apart from MY record co nightmares...it was a time of great singers and bands and I'm just happy to have been there and still count as my good friends most of the other artists of that time. Thanks again Mikey and thanks to all of you who said nice things...love it..wow. Bobbi.

Hi Micko, so much great stuff gets posted up on this forum ,that it's sometimes gets hard to keep track of it all. I had never heard of ' Bobbie Marchini', but on first listen all i can say is ' What A Voice!'. Thank you for posting this one and i can tell you that i will be playing more of it.

Nice to hear you dig our Bobbi, Brett & I hope yoa ain't the only one who'll be playing the CD's more than once. And it seems she is 'our' Bobbi now as she is now officially part of our Midoztouch community . With Erl Dalby-Montaegue also posting recently, that makes 2 alumnus of the era in our midst. It kinda makes the whole site that much more special, especially when your'e both 2 of the most talented, yet most underrated warblers we've ever produced in this lucky country of ours.

Thanks also for the compliment Ms. Bobbles. Ya know ya have said it, but before this it was just thanks shared with a few friends who recieved the CD's originally. Now with you allowing me to share this set on Midoztouch, I can now shout it to the world. And you're very, very welcome my friend.

Thank YOU for putting your trust in me to begin with as I know you were quite happy hibernating on your Greek Island away from the world of Oz rock. And the best thing is by allowing me to do this whole project, you've found a whole new batch of fans too.

So I think I can speak for all of us Midozzers when I say it's now about time ya got ya booty back to Oz as we'd luuuurv to see ya back up on that stage again REAL SOON, belting it out as only you can.

Lotsa luuuurv to ya as always

Mikey Micko

With all the hype, I decided to give an ear. But bit of an anticlimax to see disk 1 "temporarily unavailable", whatever that means.

Bob give it another go, maybe 2 or 3 if necessary as sometimes Megaupload does this. It's a pain I know but persistence beats resistence LOL

BTW I realized that I never officially welcomed Bobbi to the forum so a big welcome BFH. Sorry bout dat but it's great to have ya on board

Lastly I haven't uploaded the artwork for this as yet & thought ya might want it. So here it is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D7J9XS54

Cheers

Micko

I see, thanks Micko. I haven't learnt all the quirks yet. Let's hope resistance is futill as they say. As regards Sharebee, I can't even connect to THEM this morning.

You apparently are or have been involved in the music business in some way. I'd like to be involved but don't know where to begin. I think I'd enjoy recording, producing, promoting, or even sales.

Hi all,
was doing a bit of trawling to see what I might have missed and came across this gem.
Thanks Micko & Bobbi. What a great find. Will be on high rotation for quite a while me thinks.
Cheers,
Terry

Hi terryh

I'm glad you've dragged this back to the top of the list. I hope you enjoyed it, and if it IS on high rotation I take it you must already be a fan of Bobbi's.

In fact as the 21st response, she's officially a 'hot topic' as well now, something that many better known names haven't achieved as yet. What a shame she didn't get the exposure during her active career in the 70's.

I have let Ms. Bobbi know & she was rapt. In fact to quote:

WOW!!! Finally hot stuff after all these years.

That's like getting a Granny's Grammy!!!

Cant help wondering what would have happened if I'd been given good material and a bit of attention by Alberts.
Don’t forget that all the stuff that everyone likes wasn’t done at Alberts.

Lotsa

Bobbi

So I thought you all might like to know that she really appreciates all of the compliments

Cheers

Micko

Micko,
Couldn't get CD1 off Megaupload as the file has been deleted. However I have just finished listening to CD2 and was blown away by Bobbi's fantastic voice. Her dynamic range allows her to belt out hard rock then beautiful soulful stuff. Totally under promoted. She could have been bigger than Kylie, given the chance! I was sceptical when I first saw your comments about her voice but you have excellent taste and I would class her up there with the best female singers in the world. In the top ten at least! Thanks for the introduction, now I'm hooked

Whoa Dave, that's one big rap butI did tell ya . But you're right, ain't nothin' that woman couldn't sing,sing it bloody well & yet still make it sounds so easy. And yet all you've heard is her unreleased sruff too. Interesting

I must post this to Bobbi, she'll be rapt as she's recuparating from a small op but otherwise in good spirits. This will raise them even more haha Are you on Bobbi's Facebook friends at all Dave

Oh & before I forget. Try Disc 1 again Dave, I did & it's working

Cheers mate

Micko

Micko, Thanks mate. I tried Disc 1 again and its working for me now. I meant what I said about Bobbi and we are friends on FB. I've listened to Janice and Allison and the three of them are great. I'd better listen to the Hooter Sisters now or the others will get dark with me I would like, on behalf of everyone who visits MidozTouch, to give you a big wrap for your work in compiling Bobbi's material and for all the other gems you have made available to us. We do appreciate it very much

Bumped up for friends

After seeing the wonderful Bobbi and Peter play as a duo at The Elizabethan Village last night... this collection is a great one for me for the drive to the Legends On The Loose show tomorrow night at The Perth Blues Club.

What a lovely couple that made me feel very welcome.

thanks to all concerned

I somehow missed this the first time around. As someone who has long enjoyed the great "Working My Way Back to You" single, as well as the Duck LP, I'd love to hear it.

Is there any kind soul who could repost this?

Love Bobbi's voice - and love her photography too.

G.

Here you go Gareth the artwork is in one of them.

#Rare And Unreleased

http://www.filefactory.com/file/2wg5wul8yfh9/%23Rare%20And%20Unreleased.rar

#Show And Tell

http://www.filefactory.com/file/3aknshxn7jrl/%23Show%20And%20Tell.rar

Thanks Deutros

I was just about to get to this as I was a bit busy when I saw the request this morning. By the way, as you have now got new links, please feel free to add it to Midoztouch 2 as well if you wish

Anyway, I do hope you enjoy this Garethofoz. Of course since I put this together with Bobbi, she has returned to Australia & is now gigging again regularly up in Northern NSW at Bellingen, with guitarist Peter Hardinge (formerly Peter Roberts, bassist with The La De das) & their new band. They have had some terrific guests recently also like Pete's old bandmate Kevin Borich, Shauna Jensen & Les Karski, since starting their own venue Bellingen Lookout at the Gold Club, late last year

I'm still hoping Bobbi, Pete & the band will make a trip down south at some stage coz she still sounds great & looks terrific too in the videos she has posted

Hope others enjoy this collection also so thanks for reviving it

Micko

Deutros
Here you go Gareth the artwork is in one of them.

#Rare And Unreleased

http://www.filefactory.com/file/2wg5wul8yfh9/%23Rare%20And%20Unreleased.rar

#Show And Tell

http://www.filefactory.com/file/3aknshxn7jrl/%23Show%20And%20Tell.rar

Thanks, Deutros. I shall look forward to this immensely.

Micko
Thanks Deutros

I was just about to get to this as I was a bit busy when I saw the request this morning. By the way, as you have now got new links, please feel free to add it to Midoztouch 2 as well if you wish

Anyway, I do hope you enjoy this Garethofoz. Of course since I put this together with Bobbi, she has returned to Australia & is now gigging again regularly up in Northern NSW at Bellingen, with guitarist Peter Hardinge (formerly Peter Roberts, bassist with The La De das) & their new band. They have had some terrific guests recently also like Pete's old bandmate Kevin Borich, Shauna Jensen & Les Karski, since starting their own venue Bellingen Lookout at the Gold Club, late last year

I'm still hoping Bobbi, Pete & the band will make a trip down south at some stage coz she still sounds great & looks terrific too in the videos she has posted

Hope others enjoy this collection also so thanks for reviving it

Micko

Yes, Micko, I have been following Bobbi's activity on Facebook and am also hopeful of being able to catch a gig one day. I may have to journey from the UK to Oz to do it though! Really wish I'd been able to see the show with Kevin Borich and Yuk Harrison, but we makes our choices.

Thanks to you and Bobbi for compiling these, and thanks again to Deutros for the share.

Oh, and BTW, Bobbi's photographs of th world around her are great as well.

Thanks again for this Micko (and Deutros). Enjoying it very much.

Couple of quick questions though:

The download has all the tracks mentioned on your post, but the artwork lists three further tracks on the "Rare and Unreleased" disc:

For Once In My Life (Miller / Murden)
Aquarius / Let the Sun Shine In (from "Hair") (Ragni / Rado / McDermot)
Sing a Simple Song (Sly Stone)

None of these are in the download, which is as per your original track listing on this forum. Did Bobbi decide not to go with them after you had done the artwork? Could they not be found? Or are they out there somewhere?

Second question: where (and more importantly) when do the rare and unreleased tracks date from?

No matter if you don't know the answers - the tracks I have are great and will be on heavy rotation for the next few weeks.

Garethofoz

Good Question Gareth I've never noticed that before, as you say the tracks correspond with the listing here in the forum they also are the same as the tray insert in the artwork but differ from the tracks listed in the info page . We'll have to see if Micko knows the fate of the other songs.