Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WATER BILLS

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE OF THE INSANE AND RIDICULOUS WATER BILL RATES? THE TIER SYSTEM SYSTEM THAT WE PAID A CONSULTANT TO DETERMINE IS INSANE. MY BILL HAS INCREASED $800 PER YEAR WITH NO INCREASE IN USAGE. I AM OUTRAGED AND DISAPOINTED AND DISGUSTED FRANKLY BY THE BEHAVIOR OF THE ENTIRE BOARD WITH THE NOTABLE EXCEPTION OF MS. MEDERIOS. THIS IS CRIMINAL, HOW CAN I BE EXPECTED TO PAY THE SAME RATES WITH AN AVERAGE OF 2500 IN USAGE AS A 10 UNIT CONDO USING 10,000? SHAME ON THE TAXPAYERS FOR TAYING ATTENTION, I AM GETTING THE WORD OUT. WE TRUSTED OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS AND WERE PROFOUNDLY LET DOWN. WE ARE NOW PAYING ATTENTION AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT ANY ASPIRATIONS FOR CONTINUING AS MAYOR OR RUNNING FOR MAYOR ARE TIED TO THIS ISSUE. STOP THE LAZY ACCOUNTING AND DO YOUR JOB! WE WILL ALL START SHOWERING AT THE Y!!!!!! AND FLUSHING THEIR TOILETS!!!!

Re: WATER BILLS

Taxpayer
WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE OF THE INSANE AND RIDICULOUS WATER BILL RATES? THE TIER SYSTEM SYSTEM THAT WE PAID A CONSULTANT TO DETERMINE IS INSANE. MY BILL HAS INCREASED $800 PER YEAR WITH NO INCREASE IN USAGE. I AM OUTRAGED AND DISAPOINTED AND DISGUSTED FRANKLY BY THE BEHAVIOR OF THE ENTIRE BOARD WITH THE NOTABLE EXCEPTION OF MS. MEDERIOS. THIS IS CRIMINAL, HOW CAN I BE EXPECTED TO PAY THE SAME RATES WITH AN AVERAGE OF 2500 IN USAGE AS A 10 UNIT CONDO USING 10,000? SHAME ON THE TAXPAYERS FOR TAYING ATTENTION, I AM GETTING THE WORD OUT. WE TRUSTED OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS AND WERE PROFOUNDLY LET DOWN. WE ARE NOW PAYING ATTENTION AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT ANY ASPIRATIONS FOR CONTINUING AS MAYOR OR RUNNING FOR MAYOR ARE TIED TO THIS ISSUE. STOP THE LAZY ACCOUNTING AND DO YOUR JOB! WE WILL ALL START SHOWERING AT THE Y!!!!!! AND FLUSHING THEIR TOILETS!!!!

And city politicians expect taxpayers to support an Override?

Yes, ours went up the same proportion for no increased usage (decreased, actually), and add to that now a $200 fee for our second meter, our bill is now $1000 more a year. It's crazy. That consultant they hired is a joke, and the aldermen should be ashamed of themselves.

With an override we could do this too.....

(CNN) -- The New York Police Department, the largest police force in the United States, announced Tuesday that it has received funding to equip close to 20,000 officers with naloxone, a heroin antidote that can instantly reverse the effects of an overdose.

State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman declared that his office would provide the funding of more than $1.1 million to equip and train the NYPD officers as part of the Community Overdose Prevention Program.

Why? So they can recover and shoot up again?

Anonymous guy
Why? So they can recover and shoot up again?

And get "treatment" involving another synthetic opiate, methadone.

In the 1990s, with the blessing of the state's Department of Revenue, the city established three budgets: the City budget, the Supplemental Budget and the Enterprise Fund. The latter
contains all the collections from water and sewer bills and is responsible for freeing up millions of dollars from the
revenue cap imposed by Prop. 2 1/2 thus circumventing it. It also removes the ability to include water and sewer bills in our property tax for possible tax deduction.

Also, in 2005, the city established a retroactive billing system that applied the new July 1 rates retroactively
to April 1. The backbilling was overturned in Oct. 2008 thanks to the efforts of the Melrose Taxpayers Alliance, Aldermen Conn and Medeiros only to be re-established in June 2013 with little over one week's notice of the
meeting. The DPW was successful in getting another "bite of the apple" thanks to the usual passive posture of the
majority of the Board of Aldermen.

Voting NO on the OVERRIDE.

Just got my letter from the Water Department, fee for second meter going up to 200 a year plus i have to pay for a new meter and the plumber to install it. and still pay for the water i use. My second meter was installed in 1989 now i am forced to take it out because the city wants to charge me the sewer fee on that water that goes into the ground, this sucks.

resident
Just got my letter from the Water Department, fee for second meter going up to 200 a year plus i have to pay for a new meter and the plumber to install it. and still pay for the water i use. My second meter was installed in 1989 now i am forced to take it out because the city wants to charge me the sewer fee on that water that goes into the ground, this sucks.

Show up and tell the Aldermen who approved this madness.

The Wambulance can swing by and pick you up.

The only worthy member of the BOA is Monica Mederios. She gets it and tries to advocate for all of the citizens of Melrose. The Kabul of self serving stepford types are in it for the GIC, the stipend and the pension. Wake up Melrose! The water tier system is insane. Blame the MWRA all you want, the truth is that the BOA voted to approve the outrageous tier model.

the water bill is just another money grab for the city. just like the trash fee and other hidden taxes. when does it end?

It ends when we vote all of them out of office. They all have their own agenda, all on the dole on our tired backs.

I can't tell if it is worth keeping the second meter. $200 a year plus we need to have the meter replace by July of next year for another cost of the parts plus plumbing labor. FANTASTIC. I may need to dig a well.

Another thrilled citizen
I can't tell if it is worth keeping the second meter. $200 a year plus we need to have the meter replace by July of next year for another cost of the parts plus plumbing labor. FANTASTIC. I may need to dig a well.

Yup. A total disgrace.

And the one Alderman (Medeiros) who tried valliantly to represent our wishes by asking that this be discussed last Monday was shut down by all the rest of them, Lavender Bird, Lemmerman, Infurna, all of them. Time for a big big broom!

It is criminal and my eyes opened wide when I watched the rerun of the last meeting. The blatant nasty, dismissive, accusatory attitude directed to the ONLY member advocating for the public was telling.

Why so defensive? What are you hiding? Time for a financial forensic.

The answer is very obvious. The Jason Lewis supporters are scared that Monica will win
Her "motive" was to bring the water rates issue up. Yes, she was serving her own campaign interests....true. The "shutter downers" were all serving the Jason Lewis campaign. I am a registered Democrat who is voting for Monica in November because of her leadership on questioning the MWRA.

So obvious, how could I miss it? Thank you for sharing. I too am a registered Democrat and will be casting my vote for Monica. The lipstick is off of the pig (s) for sure.

Back to the Financial Forsenic of city accounts. The MWRA can dictate rates, where is the additional tier money going? Who is profiting from the mandatory purchase of the city meters.

Most of the Aldermen are holdovers re-electeed for four years. "Democracy is not a spectator sport" which too many voters ignored and are paying the price. Medeiros is an exception to the norm in that environment.

The Truthsayer
Most of the Aldermen are holdovers re-electeed for four years. "Democracy is not a spectator sport" which too many voters ignored and are paying the price. Medeiros is an exception to the norm in that environment.

Yes!

And she would keep her alderman position if she won the state election, giving Melrose her continued advocacy at multiple levels, making her by far the most effective choice!

We're Dems and she has our vote! Cannot abide the alternative and have long admired Monica's hard work for our community.

Next November we need to vote out the other ones for the most part, which means starting right now we need to rally two slates of new candidates for aldermen and school committee. Out with most of the incumbents! They are worse than useless. They have harmed our community. Look at the schools, look at your water bill if you need proof!

You have to remember that this is an Insiders Club. I've fought the fights in public and behind the scenes, this will not change unless someone with big money enters the game. The lipstick has worn off the pigs but Infurna and Margolis are still oinking every Monday the lipstick is only smudged or Morty from all of his free meals and the free hugs he gives out after showering at the Y.

It gets me mad that the last water bill was the most expensive I've ever had. By far.

It gets me madder still that they charge me more money per gallon because I have a family which goes over the 200 limit.

It's Discrimination against families. I'm glad to pay my fair share for the water I use. It's Unfair to charge more than my share to subsidize others who have smaller families. Isn't Melrose wonderful?

Huge Charges
It gets me mad that the last water bill was the most expensive I've ever had. By far.

It gets me madder still that they charge me more money per gallon because I have a family which goes over the 200 limit.

It's Discrimination against families. I'm glad to pay my fair share for the water I use. It's Unfair to charge more than my share to subsidize others who have smaller families. Isn't Melrose wonderful?

If you care about the outrageous water bills then don't vote for Jason Lewis or his advocates on the BOA or SC. Vote for Monica! All the families w/children who care about the awful MCAS scores and lousy schools will never vote for an override because they need their cash to pay for their water and sewer bills!

The water bills and the sleazy way that the rates were voted in sickens me.

Monica is the only one that deserves our vote. I am so disappointed in some of the members. They are all a bunch of hacks with no integrity on the dole.

They all speak out of both sides of their mouths.

Vote for Monica
Huge Charges

If you care about the outrageous water bills then don't vote for Jason Lewis or his advocates on the BOA or SC. Vote for Monica! All the families w/children who care about the awful MCAS scores and lousy schools will never vote for an override because they need their cash to pay for their water and sewer bills!

Boy that is for darn sure!

Such a "drain" on our finances.

love it

"Love it"
you are so rude and crude w/your clever comments and rhymes
People are really struggling to pay their bills.
National Grid just announced a 37% increase in Electricity rates.
"Love it " you are a bully!

Rude and Crude
love it

"Love it"
you are so rude and crude w/your clever comments and rhymes
People are really struggling to pay their bills.
National Grid just announced a 37% increase in Electricity rates.
"Love it " you are a bully!

Ask Monica about being bullied by her female BOA colleagues!

Agree, I was frankly horrified initially at the attack directed at Monica BY HER FEMALE BOA peers. I have always respected these women. Not any longer, it is now clear to me that they are supporting another AND I say thank you for the mean girl show!!!! YOUR TRUE COLORS HAVE BEEN REVEALED. Perhaps you are looking for a job for yourself or a relative, you need the stipend because of the tax and water rate increase compounded by the National Grid 37% INCREASE.

WHERE IS THE MONEY?????? WHERE IS THE $3M SUPPOSEDLY SPENT ON TEXTBOOKS???? WE ARE BEING SCAMMED!

VOTE FOR MONICA-SHE HAS INTEGRITY AND NO AGENDA BECAUSE SHE TAKES CARE OF HERSELF AND IS NOT ON THE DOLE.

TIME FOR AN AUDIT I WOULD SAY.

We are being "hosed" by these water bills.

I hear the Condo and Rental companies in Melrose are getting together to form a lobbying effort to get a better deal on Water Bill rates.

Big Guys: +1

Little property owners: Screwed Again