Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vinton/Warwick

We need to start thinking about limiting truck traffic along Vinton Street and Warwick Road. I know this is a common shortcut to the fells (and vice versa) but these are still residential and school neighborhoods. The noise and volume of trucks, is just not acceptable.

There are many small children living along this route, and because of the school there are many more playing in the neighborhood. People speed, and otherwise don't obey the traffic laws. The rolling stops are dangerous - assuming they stop at all. I'd hate to see someone get hurt before we decide to do something.

Probably not much can be done about the private cars - that is what it is. But we can and should limit the dump trucks, 10 wheelers, and the like from using the route to cut through.

As a local resident to this area - i favor doing it just to reduce the noise, but I'm telling you - come watch the traffic in the morning (6-8AM) and around 4-6PM. It's down right scary.

Re: Vinton/Warwick

The trucks that you mention, using Warwick and Vinton are more than likely cutting through to avoid the Fells Way, were trucks are banned. Who knows where they'd go if you ban them from Warwick.

I think it should be a 4 way stop sign there. One of the most dangerous intersections in Melrose. The vehicles come flying down the hill and in the past cars have rolled through the Vinton stop sign and there have been some bad accidents

I have a great idea. I really think this is a serious safety issue so I will put an anonymous post out here on a message board and hope something changes.

I had forgotten that trucks were not allowed on the Fells. I suppose they are crossing the Fells and cutting through towards main street. Seems crazy that they'd allow these trucks on the side streets but not the Fells. The DCR still rule that stretch of road?

Vinnie
I had forgotten that trucks were not allowed on the Fells. I suppose they are crossing the Fells and cutting through towards main street. Seems crazy that they'd allow these trucks on the side streets but not the Fells. The DCR still rule that stretch of road?

I could be wrong but I believe the State Police are now responsible for the Fells.

I know the MDC originally ran the Fells Way and similar roads (Breakheart?).

Then, I think someone else ran it before the State Police took over.