Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tax Increase Coming

Just read in the local papers that the BOA will be recommending a tax increase for residential & commercial properties. Looks like our residential taxes will go up about an average of $170 per homeowner, more for commercial properties. This means with property evaluations going up for each homeowner, the city will probably take in an extra 2 plus million dollars. Of course this doesn't include any additional monies from Enterprise accounts.

I guess this money will be used to replenish our Mayor's "slush" funds so that he can allocate monies to his favorite departments. I'm sure one department that will receive a good share of this money will be the school department since school chief Taymore will no doubt be asking for more money to subsidize her long commute from Salem, her long hours of work, and her extensive clothing costs!

Also, don't expect our diligent Aldermen to control the "purse strings" much since they are in the Mayor's bag for those generous health benefts many of them got from him several years ago before they voted him a 25% salary increase!

Re: Tax Increase Coming

Voting No On The Override !

Aren't overrides just a tad more specific than "Money for Mayor's Slush Fund"?

Two different things - they recommended a 1.42 shift (residential/commercial) for the new tax rate, which raises revenue intake the maximum allowable under Prop 2 1/2, around $170 per property, depending on your assessment. That's the rate hike that goes into effect whether an override passes or not. Hitting us up for an override, if one passes, is on top of that. I'll be voting no on that if it comes up.

You would have to be insane to vote for an override without strict conditions where the money would go and that it would be a one-time thing. Sorry but I don't trust this group of politicians to play it straight with the people - it is not in their DNA!

I certainly would not agree to an override for the schools given the current management we have in place - they would just squander the money away for useless purposes - they are clueless as to what needs be done to make our schools better. It only goes to show that added degrees doesn't make one intelligent, smart or increase common sense - but just more letters after your name.

What "added degrees"? They (mayor/school board) had the opportunity to hire academically qualified individuals to run the school district but chose charlatans instead. This latest has no doctorate, not even the mail-order kind, not that it would matter. Listen to her talk for five minutes and it's clear that this is not someone who is even vaguely well-educated. Listen to her hired hacks (or watch them present their insufferable endless powerpoints) and it's even more clear that the place is being run by highly paid illiterates. Super wouldn't know how to draw in a real educator to teach or to her "leadership team" even if she tried, and she is threatened enough with the good ones left in the district that they are being harassed and punished. With her lousy human interaction skills, she's managed to damage what was left of any credibility the district might have had and drive away our best and brightest--teachers and students alike. It was pretty awful with "Mr. You-know-you-know-movingforward-movingforward," but this one makes him look good! That guy at least knew enough to dodge the third rails and schmooze, play-acting the nice guy long enough to slither the district out of worse trouble. This one couldn't care less and just lets loose on anyone who dares to cross her, even on camera.

Maybe you're thinking that there are "added degrees" of the mayor or something? This guy reads what Brigid writes, period. Nothing more than soundbytes for that guy. He has stated (even publicly) that he is "gifted" (but wasn't recognized as such in school--LOL). He has also stated that he is an "education expert." Now about that bridge they were trying to sell us.... And he has an even worse track record of letting loose on anyone and everyone, on camera or off, snickering his way to ego gratification. He gleefully trash-talks even his diehard sycophants (are they without any realization of this?). No, trusting this guy with more tax dollars is pure foolishness, but that appears to be the middle name of most of the aldermen! How about those water bills, folks!

You are correct in using the word "clueless." But worse than clueless or without common sense, they are lacking in basic common decency or concern about the damage they have done and are doing.

Bottom line, though, is that Melrose voters are apparently getting the government they want and deserve. It's not rocket science to see the lousy decisions being made with our money. So where are the candidates? One lazy little burb with almost no one willing to step up and serve, even with the prospect of GIC handout for life for them and their family. School board members may not get paid, but they get to walk in parades and make their mark with thousands of pages of packets, policies, and procedures. Their heavy hands can come down hard on any and every student and teacher, making it clear who's boss. (If you're really good, you might get chosen for a Focus Group, or even pave the way to a cushy city job!) And being the mayor would mean getting to pee on every tree. Now who wouldn't want to do that?! Sure, give them more money and then whimper about it before going back to alcoholic indifference. Or, here's a thought, get a spine and stand up to it. Better yet, talk to your neighbors and gather that outrage into something useful and learn the full truth, not just the half-truth that the pols made sure was printed. Take that and find the individuals strong enough to lead and convince them they will have enough support to run for office. Don't assume that this is someone else's responsibility, unless this is the Melrose you actually want.

Can you please just keep your daily vindictive anti-schools post onto the school section? I think you have made your point there and we don't need spillage onto the sports and government threads too. Thank you.

Wrong thread
Can you please just keep your daily vindictive anti-schools post onto the school section? I think you have made your point there and we don't need spillage onto the sports and government threads too. Thank you.

Listen - it's all related and certainly appropriate to include these topics when discussing city tax issues. Get your attitude straightened!

MFD
Wrong thread

Listen - it's all related and certainly appropriate to include these topics when discussing city tax issues. Get your attitude straightened!

Agreed. And I see nothing "vindictive". That, Virginia, is what is known as Projection. It was well stated opinion, with strong factual basis, clearly not what the lemmings want to hear.

Wrong thread

No, correct thread. The BOA must vote to put an Overide ? on the ballot. And of course they will. Some owe Mr. 26% for their GIC for Life (on the backs of the rest of Melrose taxpayers) and the rest of the BOA don't have the courage to change the policy. This opinion is widely shared and does not equal being anti-schools or being vindictive.

Saw 5 minutes of the SC meeting repeat on MMTV while cooking dinner tonight. KT yelling and excessive arm movements as the "Finance Experts" ask for more $ for the schools. No on the Override....not one more cent should be given to a City and System whose accountability and results are AWFUL! Voting No on the Override is actually a vote for the schools and being pro-schools. Voting No on The Override sends a message that the "data" and "results" of this District and its leadership warrents a failing grade.

If you don't want an override, contact your alderman and let them know that they will lose your vote and your neighbor's votes if they vote to put an override on the ballot.

Strategy
If you don't want an override, contact your alderman and let them know that they will lose your vote and your neighbor's votes if they vote to put an override on the ballot.

I have already done it.

Don't stifle the people. Put it on the Ballot and let the voters decide.

People's Choice
Don't stifle the people. Put it on the Ballot and let the voters decide.

I will not vote for an override, any alderman who votes to put an override on the ballot or any BOA member who takes GIC. I have the right to contact anyone/everyone and express my views about how I will vote. Please do not attempt to stifle me.

More Wasteful Spending Ahead
Just read in the local papers that the BOA will be recommending a tax increase for residential & commercial properties. Looks like our residential taxes will go up about an average of $170 per homeowner, more for commercial properties. This means with property evaluations going up for each homeowner, the city will probably take in an extra 2 plus million dollars. Also, don't expect our diligent Aldermen to control the "purse strings" much since they are in the Mayor's bag for those generous health benefts many of them got from him several years ago before they voted him a 25% salary increase!

Just had a thought while shoveling. The City is going to run way over the snow budget. We can make it up if all the current and "retired" BOA members give up their GIC which they steal from the rest of Melrose tax payers.

Or perhaps we could just put BOA members to work shoveling city sidewalks to earn their health benefits?

So far - this is the best idea I've seen expressed! Hand them the shovels now in preparation for the next storm coming soon!

MFD
So far - this is the best idea I've seen expressed!

Must be yours then.

The "MFD is everybody" bologna is getting VERY old (pun intended). Give it a rest, please.

Snow removal cost is now a legitimate fiscal concern. Just shows that throwing money at GIC for elected officials (who are not full time employees) and big raises and bonuses for School ADMINISTRATORS can't continue. City and School finances must be fair to all Melrosians. If any additional "snow fee" is proposed, the money should first come from a "flexible" (hidden non-transparent) account which seems to be " free cash" for any part of the budget that funds the flavor of the week. Received my water bill this week which is outrageous and already serves as a tax increase/override "line item" in our family's budget.

I think we should blame all of this SNOW on Mayor Dolan. This is completely his fault. If we had another mayor in office this would NOT have happened. A dome would have at least been built around the city where the temps would have been kept around 60 degrees. This is just ridiculous. I am moving to Lexington where the schools are better and there are no snow issues.

Not blaming the snow on the Mayor but I am questioning the Mayor' s handling of the budget and the Override Campaign "blow".
We need dollars for safety issues and unforeseen events ( example: unprecedented snow storms ). We can't afford to waste money on GIC for the BOA , " team" bonuses and raises for Taymore and her crew, or School Department gadgets. The budget is not sustainable as it is currently spent and proportioned and we need to fundamentally change " how business is done". The unspent snow budget a few years back should have been saved for its allocated purpose in an interest bearing account.

Just a little warning that we should get our ducks in a row on the Snow Budget before making recommendations. I recall, years and years ago, someone explaining the process to me. I had asked why the snow budget was at a very low level when compared to reality. I was told there were funds available from the state or maybe the feds and the other cities and towns operate under the same, or similar process. This is just a little “Heads Up” that I hope is helpful before anyone decides to run into a city hall meeting, with potential misinformation. Sorry that I can’t recall the details. That happens a lot these days.