Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BOA and GIC

All candidates who run for The Board of Aldermen need to spell out where they stand on Melrose tax dollars being used for BOA members private health insurance.... FOR LIFE! The cost to The City of Melrose over the years is millions of dollars. The Override campaign formally started after Taymore and Dolan's remarks. Any request for increased taxes is nullified by the hypocrisy of stealing precious Melrose tax dollars for private use. This "loophole benefit" to the BOA Thieves must be changed.

Re: BOA and GIC

Great post. I just heard all of the BOA taking health insurance just resigned and Dolan has decided not to support an override. You should be a motivational speaker.

Mr./Mrs. "What an Inpact", you can be as sarcastic as you want to be...but for many voters GIC/Health Insurance offered to the BOA is a line in the sand....it will Inpact their decision not to support a tax override.

The Free Press announced that Mortimer was just elected Treasurer of The Melrose Democratic City Committee. Can he be trusted to handle their finances? He doesn't work, collects a "Retirement" sum every month and has his family's health insurance paid by the taxpayers of Melrose. This permanent LIFE LONG family plan benefit costs the rest of us a lot. And he is only one example. City funded health insurance should be eliminated for the Aldermen. If the City can afford the luxury of paying for BOA GIC, they don't need extra cash or need a tax override.

You clowns need to be honest with yourselves. None of you would vote for an override whether the City paid for alderman's health insurance or not. Save the grandstanding for the election.

you're right ...we will be voting NO on the Override because we don't have the money....no grandstanding involved....if the City of Melrose can afford the luxury of paying for BOA health insurance, Melrose doesn't need the cash or have the right to ask people to foot the bill for a bunch of political hacks.....

peter's impact
If the City can afford the luxury of paying for BOA GIC, they don't need extra cash or need a tax override.

Indeed. That's not grandstanding, that's a fact. Some people simply refuse to get it.

The real deal with the anti-tax crowd in Melrose is that they are not interested in paying any more in taxes. Period. That's totally legitimate. Its expensive to live here, water rates and trash collection are expensive. I completely support the right for people who can't afford it to vote against a tax increase. Honesty is always the best policy. The City does nothing for me and I won't pay another nickel unless I'm forced to. I don't care who the mayor is, who the board is or what benefits City workers get.

Why not withhold your real estate taxes? It will take years for city to figure it out.

Real Deal
The real deal with the anti-tax crowd in Melrose is that they are not interested in paying any more in taxes. Period. That's totally legitimate. Its expensive to live here, water rates and trash collection are expensive. I completely support the right for people who can't afford it to vote against a tax increase. Honesty is always the best policy. The City does nothing for me and I won't pay another nickel unless I'm forced to. I don't care who the mayor is, who the board is or what benefits City workers get.

BOA members are not "City Workers". Part of everyone's tax bills go to paying for some elected politicians (who claim to be "public servants") and their families health insurance. It's wrong. I do get many things from the City and its government functions and services. I wouldn't describe my self as anti-tax. It is expensive to live in Massachusetts and Melrose. I accept that the choice to be here is an expensive decision. It is a struggle sometimes. I do not accept that Melrose is paying for BOA health insurance. It's wrong. I will be voting No on the override.

Its your right to vote no on the override. Its granted to you by the laws of Massachusetts. It's also the right of the elected officials in the City of Melrose to elect health insurance coverage under the GIC...the same laws that let you vote against an override. Its not your issue to accept or not accept. Put a meeting together with the rest of the Bozo Brigade. Its time for you loud mouths to put up or shut up. Big election next year. Lets see what kind of impact this crowd actually has.

Uh-oh. The hacks have awakened, and have gone into attack mode, as usual.

Your right
Its your right to vote no on the override. Its granted to you by the laws of Massachusetts. It's also the right of the elected officials in the City of Melrose to elect health insurance coverage under the GIC...the same laws that let you vote against an override. Its not your issue to accept or not accept. Put a meeting together with the rest of the Bozo Brigade. Its time for you loud mouths to put up or shut up. Big election next year. Lets see what kind of impact this crowd actually has.

It is every eligible voter's and taxpayer's issue how their money is spent and the way their government is run. Everyone knows it is you, Morty. Why don't you just keep quiet.

Just keep flailing away. It's not Morty. By the, who is everyone? I've come to believe there are really only four of you clowns. You guys should show up at the Victorian fair and do a trick...you guys can pile out of a clown car on Main Street and announce your plans to dominate the November elections.

If by "flailing" you mean continuing to discuss, question, and debate, then flail away we will! I have no idea how many Melrose residents think one way or another, never have I claimed to know. The truth is it really doesn't matter... Data speaks for itself, MPS aren't in great shape. That speaks much louder than the subjectivity of people's beliefs, whether a majority or not.

Your right

How any BOA member (who rips off the City by taking tax money to pay their family health insurance) can look themselves in the mirror and not feel ashamed is fooling themselves. They can attempt to justify that it is their "right" and that they are "entitled" but in fact they are "USERS" and hopefully LOSERS at the ballot box next fall !

peter's impact
The Free Press announced that Mortimer was just elected Treasurer of The Melrose Democratic City Committee. Can he be trusted to handle their finances? He doesn't work, collects a "Retirement" sum every month and has his family's health insurance paid by the taxpayers of Melrose. This permanent LIFE LONG family plan benefit costs the rest of us a lot. And he is only one example. City funded health insurance should be eliminated for the Aldermen. If the City can afford the luxury of paying for BOA GIC, they don't need extra cash or need a tax override.

How did the Melrose Democratic City Committee ever elect PM for Treasurer?

Your right

This couldn't be more wrong. Your right to vote is absolutely not granted to you by the laws of Massachusetts. It is granted to us all by the U.S. Constitution. Residents have the right to oppose any law or regulation they wish, and the right to push for change to any of them.

Actually Dink, an override is part of the legislation voters approved in Massachusetts under the Proposition 2 1/2 law. Uncle Sam could care less. Massachusetts law governs override votes.

Come again
Actually Dink, an override is part of the legislation voters approved in Massachusetts under the Proposition 2 1/2 law. Uncle Sam could care less. Massachusetts law governs override votes.

You're right in regard to specific legislation pertaining to state tax overrides. However it is untrue that Uncle Sam "couldn't" care less. Federal law guarantees Americans the right and act of voting itself, not state.