Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Humorous New Set of Melrose Liquor Laws

Willie
Just go up to Mt. Hood, pretend you just played golf, and stand at your car and drink, like everyone else!

He he he... you'll also want to leave the trunk lid open and have a half filled cooler in there so it won't look like you just swung be the packie.

Small restaurants can now sell beer and wine. No big deal. If you are complaining about this change you are truly a MM clown.

I wouldn't call it humorous, it's actually great. Melrose used to be dry, then it had restricted sales, and now those restrictions are becoming a little more relaxed. It's progress if anything.

Willie
Just go up to Mt. Hood, pretend you just played golf, and stand at your car and drink, like everyone else!

Willie...you are an idiot to suggest doing this at Mount Hood! Get some "common sense" which is not so common in people like you!

I will refrain from name calling, and say that I am simply stating what goes on every day at your 'sacred' Mt. Hood.

I wish more people would leave Melrose when they want a good night out. The maybe I could park downtown on a Friday night and have a nice meal!

M10
I wouldn't call it humorous, it's actually great. Melrose used to be dry, then it had restricted sales, and now those restrictions are becoming a little more relaxed. It's progress if anything.

Well said mam/sir. Melrose has been stuck in the 50's since....well....the 50's. A little change could do this city some good. For me, I still think these laws are too tight for grown adults. If I want to have a few beers, I shouldn't have to order food to do so.

Willie

Willie
I will refrain from name calling, and say that I am simply stating what goes on every day at your 'sacred' Mt. Hood.

Why anyone would encourage people to go up at Mount Hood to drink even though a few jerks do, is estounding! You have earnbed your nickname Willie - "Silly Willie"!

"estounding" ????? 😳

I think he meant "Gee, collywobbles!".

I don't understand how a little breakfast/bagel/sandwich shop gets a beer/wine license. "Right On" calls this progress. I call it stupidity. There are plenty of places to already get your drunk on in this booze fueled society. Owner must have give Dolan a pretty penny for him to make changes to allow this.

Next D'Amicis will be serving italian wine to go with their pastries.

Kat
I don't understand how a little breakfast/bagel/sandwich shop gets a beer/wine license. "Right On" calls this progress. I call it stupidity. There are plenty of places to already get your drunk on in this booze fueled society. Owner must have give Dolan a pretty penny for him to make changes to allow this.

Next D'Amicis will be serving italian wine to go with their pastries.

It is progress. If you want to live in the 1950's move to a small, rural town in western mass.

If we have progressed as a society to a point where we need to have beer/wine available everywhere we go then I hardly call that progress. And if you can't go and have a sandwich for lunch without needing a beer then you have a problem. Don't give me the 1950s crap. There are plenty of other places to go and have a drink in this town without making it available everywhere.

Dimwit
If we have progressed as a society to a point where we need to have beer/wine available everywhere we go then I hardly call that progress. And if you can't go and have a sandwich for lunch without needing a beer then you have a problem. Don't give me the 1950s crap. There are plenty of other places to go and have a drink in this town without making it available everywhere.

you are right but the leadership in this town either have "problems" themselves or again are trading their support for something.."role models" who never stay home with their own kids and are out every night...no one can handle anything "stress" w/out "something" to take off the edge....so the poor kids in this town are already set up to struggle....Melrose has a huge alcohol and drug problem.....adults and young people included.....

Dimwit

God you're dumb. Another Melrose homer. Just because someone wants a beer doesn't mean they're an alcoholic. We live in the Boston Metro area, it's about time Melrose grew up a bit. Like I said, if you don't like it, then move. Melrose is growing every single day, this isn't the 1950's (I noticed you liked that reference).

Mo Mo, you miss understand Dimwit's real issue. Mayor Dolan proposed the change...therefore it is BAD...if Dolan proposed banning Alcohol from Melrose Dimwit would have said it was Bad. Dimwit is a Dimwit.

Yes melrose is growing everyday you can tell by the amount of traffic and lack of parking. Afternoons and Saturdays are almost impossible to get around. I don't know how you think this is a good thing. Are you new here? Are you a young hipster who wants to live in the city but cant afford it so you think that urbanizing the suburbs is a good thing? Branching out from Boston in this direction is Everett>Malden>Melrose--Melrose is the first, or was the first, nice quiet suburb. Now its becoming an extension of Everett and Malden. If people wanted places like that, people would have moved to places like that. People want the quiet of a suburb, its not a 1950s thing. Instead of you and those like you trying to transform Melrose, how about you move to a community that has everything youre looking for.

yippie
Yes melrose is growing everyday you can tell by the amount of traffic and lack of parking. Afternoons and Saturdays are almost impossible to get around. I don't know how you think this is a good thing. Are you new here? Are you a young hipster who wants to live in the city but cant afford it so you think that urbanizing the suburbs is a good thing? Branching out from Boston in this direction is Everett>Malden>Melrose--Melrose is the first, or was the first, nice quiet suburb. Now its becoming an extension of Everett and Malden. If people wanted places like that, people would have moved to places like that. People want the quiet of a suburb, its not a 1950s thing. Instead of you and those like you trying to transform Melrose, how about you move to a community that has everything youre looking for.

It's not about "changing Melrose" it's about growing with the times. We live 7 miles from the state capital (can see it from my house - sarah palin anyone?) Point is, we are not the "suburb" you describe, we are in the "metro" area. And finally the Mayor, and good on him, is noticing this. There is nothing wrong with adding restaurants and bars to the city/downtown area. And by your post, you're saying if there was more parking it would be fine? But because there is lack of parking it's not? Get your story straight. In case you haven't noticed melrose is the hotbed of the metro area right now, lots of young people/families coming to town. And with that, is going to be a movement towards the future and change. Not all bad change btw.

Keep in mind there are many other cities that you could move too that don't have this "problem." I'm very happy in which the direction in which my city is heading and give RD full props. Schools, aren't so great, but the housing market is on fireeeee. And to leave you with this......It's only going to become more urbanized, there is no stopping it at this point, so if you don't like it, leave.

Mo Mo
yippie

It's not about "changing Melrose" it's about growing with the times. We live 7 miles from the state capital (can see it from my house - sarah palin anyone?) Point is, we are not the "suburb" you describe, we are in the "metro" area. And finally the Mayor, and good on him, is noticing this. There is nothing wrong with adding restaurants and bars to the city/downtown area. And by your post, you're saying if there was more parking it would be fine? But because there is lack of parking it's not? Get your story straight. In case you haven't noticed melrose is the hotbed of the metro area right now, lots of young people/families coming to town. And with that, is going to be a movement towards the future and change. Not all bad change btw.

Keep in mind there are many other cities that you could move too that don't have this "problem." I'm very happy in which the direction in which my city is heading and give RD full props. Schools, aren't so great, but the housing market is on fireeeee. And to leave you with this......It's only going to become more urbanized, there is no stopping it at this point, so if you don't like it, leave.

Apt sentiments. The townies need to realize that the blow-ins are paying the freight for the inflation of the housing market, and privately-held amenities are as important as city services. If the expansion of liquor licenses means we'll FINALLY get a decent restaurant in Melrose, great.

How many Melrosians out there love dealing with the extra congestion over the past few years? And the stupidity of peoe doesn't help. More and more I'm seeing people block intersections on green lights fully knowing that it may turn red any second and the flow of traffic will be impeded. This is happening more because of the congestion slowing everyone down. They don't want to wait for the light again.

So let's hear opinions. Who is in favor of a more urbanized Melrose, aside from Rob, I wish I were in charge of a real city, Dolan?

People are constantly texting while driving and are so narcissistic that they wouldn't recognize that their selfish behavior impedes traffic flow. How often do people wave thank you for normal driving courtesies.... Maybe 25% of the time....includes all races, ages and genders....

Poll
How many Melrosians out there love dealing with the extra congestion over the past few years? And the stupidity of peoe doesn't help. More and more I'm seeing people block intersections on green lights fully knowing that it may turn red any second and the flow of traffic will be impeded. This is happening more because of the congestion slowing everyone down. They don't want to wait for the light again.

So let's hear opinions. Who is in favor of a more urbanized Melrose, aside from Rob, I wish I were in charge of a real city, Dolan?

Rob needs to get another job. He doesn't look or act happy, confident or comfortable in his own skin. Time to go. Term limits should be applied to all elected positions in Melrose. Then we could get rid of the SC crazies and the self serving BOA members who are only interested in role playing, posing for pictures and having their neighbors be forced to pay for their health insurance.

Here we go again with the Melrose Messages Clown Patrol anonymously calling for civic change. Term Limits this time. Last week it was a rally at the Alderman meeting to protest the override...huge turnout by the way...from the Mayor's supporters. The clowns all failed to show.

I have an idea. Why don't you have a big clown rally on the steps of city hall. You can all dress up like your favorite clown and honk your noses, waddle around in your big rubber boots and squirt water at each other from the flowers on your vests...and start chanting we want term limits...then you can pile into your little clown car and drive away.

Cowardly clowns, each and every one of you.

The "clown" thing is getting old.

Really old!!!!

[/quote] Rob needs to get another job. He doesn't look or act happy, confident or comfortable in his own skin. Time to go. Term limits should be applied to all elected positions in Melrose. Then we could get rid of the SC crazies and the self serving BOA members who are only interested in role playing, posing for pictures and having their neighbors be forced to pay for their health insurance.[/quote]

This post makes more sense than anything else on MM.

If you are going to act like a bunch of clowns you will be called a bunch of clowns. The truth hurts Bozo. What's really old is the constant whining by the pack of mewling cowards on Melrose Messages. MFD the blowhard, how can you continuously run your mouth on this site, call for action at an Alderman's meeting to protest the override, state you are going to be there, and then not show up? Its because you are a clown...just like the rest of the constant critics. All show and no go. Chicken little.

The truth is that the Mayor is very nervous, the SC is dysfunctional and the BOA use limited tax revenue for their own personal health insurance.

My protest will be when I vote no!!![8-)]

Clown Patrol
If you are going to act like a bunch of clowns you will be called a bunch of clowns. The truth hurts Bozo. What's really old is the constant whining by the pack of mewling cowards on Melrose Messages. MFD the blowhard, how can you continuously run your mouth on this site, call for action at an Alderman's meeting to protest the override, state you are going to be there, and then not show up? Its because you are a clown...just like the rest of the constant critics. All show and no go. Chicken little.

If the whining on here is getting old to you, stop visiting this site. Though I have to admit, your bit about the clown protest on City Hall had me laughing out loud. I usually disagree with you, but I'm not against loosening alcohol laws here. Urbanization and population growth are inevitable, Dolan is right to get on board with it. Traffic is an inevitable part of our growth. But Clowns, get real, you're not upsetting or hurting anyone here. You just seem to use the same couple vocabulary words and put downs over and over. We are mewling cowards, right? And clowns. Shrug.

"Love it" is engaging in classic Bozo maneuvering by the Clown Patrol. MFD complains that being called a clown is getting old. No response by "Love it". MFD is told that the Clown Patrol whining is getting old and "Love it" comes back with "stop visiting the site" The Clowns think the MM whiner board is their personal paradise. Big election coming up. Big chance for the clowns to show they are something other than a bunch of hypocritical weenies.

Myron and the rest of the clowns have small weeeeeenies[:))]

Democrats have the small weenies.

Idiot
Democrats have the small weenies.

Come on, folks. We all know that Democrats represent genetic engineering gone awry!

Stop posting under Myron's "nick". Although we do not agree politically, I know he's above comments like that!

Clown Patrol
"Love it" is engaging in classic Bozo maneuvering by the Clown Patrol. MFD complains that being called a clown is getting old. No response by "Love it". MFD is told that the Clown Patrol whining is getting old and "Love it" comes back with "stop visiting the site" The Clowns think the MM whiner board is their personal paradise. Big election coming up. Big chance for the clowns to show they are something other than a bunch of hypocritical weenies.

I didn't come back with "stop visiting this site." It was predicated on your position of being "tired of the whining." Taking an abbreviated quote out of context is maneuvering, dolt. The "whining" you refer to is discourse, so there is no reason for one to ask for it to stop. You happen to disagree with it. Myron said the clown stuff is getting old, because it adds nothing to discourse and is ultimately just nonsense. No hypocrisy there. Try making your arguments with facts, not stupidity. If you really see an equivalence you're more of an idiot than I realized.

Apparently most people are in favor of a more urbanized Melrose or they wouldn't keep voting in the same people. I for one don't mind what is happening in Melrose, in fact, I kind of like it. Our housing values are through the roof because of the fact Melrose has been "discovered." So while the traffic and population go up, so don't our resale values [:D].

It was only a matter of time Melrose started to change, it's too close to Boston to not. And while the new alcohol laws have loosened up a bit, we are still far behind any community in the Metro area. Still have some catching up to do.

Isn't Clown Patrol tired of being routinely ridiculed and exposed? I loved how you neutered him with the revelation that his immature and vulgar language and put downs were doing the mayor a disservice. Did you notice he stopped, and started criticizing CKK's supporters for being too aggressive with the MG incident? Warning them they were doing more harm than good for her? Where did we hear that before... We are obviously dealing with a halfwit.

Jester Squad must be a member of the bozo all star team. Critiquing and praising the other clowns posts puts you in a class all your own. Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that collectively the clown patrol is still just a useless bunch of cowards that can't do anything other than whine and complain on MM.

Clown Patrol, could you just once debate on the issues and facts, and not bloviate nonsense? You calling me a coward for the 100th time bothers me no more and no less than the first time you did. I'm a reasonable person, try to convince me why you know better than me, if you're capable.

I think the better topic would be when and where will Melrose's first sports bar be located? At this point it only seems like a matter of time. Too be honest I figured someone would have grabbed the old RMV on Washington St and converted that. Instead that looks to be a daycare.....awesome. Maybe Caruso's if that lazy, greedy family ever gets their act together. Any other thoughts?

That's a big leap to think Melrose will allow zoning for a sports bar from allowing wine and cheese shops to sell beer and wine and a few smaller restaurants to serve the same...