Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Eliminating GIC

While commuting home tonight, I heard on WBZ radio that the Town of Bedford is putting eliminating GIC for their Board of Selectmen to a town meeting vote in September. Interesting interview with 2 Selectmen who said neither they or their colleagues deserve taxpayer funded health insurance. They talked about the state of the economy, the anxiety of people about taxes and their own ability to pay bills. They predicted that GIC would be eliminated by the citizens of Bedford by a big majority at the Town Meeting. I challenge the BOA members to repeal GIC in Melrose for themselves. It was done once before and can be done again. Melrose is not a town so we can not organize or vote at a Town Meeting. We can however challenge BOA members to be responsible and ethical by eliminating their own health insurance ( GIC ) funded by City Taxes. The other option is to vote against every member of the BOA who takes GIC. And of course vote against the OVERRIDE !

Re: Eliminating GIC

Can't find an argument against your statements!

MFD, weren't you the one supporting the fact that Mortimer "retired" in order to take full benefits? That seems a little hypocritical.

Here is my suggestion for dealing with 2 issues simultaneously. Many residents think that the 4 or 5 BOA should not be getting city assistance for their health insurance and I can actually empathize with them since no other city board or commission member is getting this kind of deal.

Let's have these alderman donate a total of $10,000 to the Melrose Education Foundation and eliminate the need for the city to contribute this amount. I think that this would be a fiar thing for them to do.

Don't know if you are being Stupid or Sarcastic, Myron!
The GIC for the BOA should be 100 percent eliminated...Completely....Period.....Forever....currently serving Aldermen and "retired" Lifer folks like Billy Forbes and PM (and others ?) need to face reality, show integrity and pay their own bills. The BOA are soon going to ask folks for an override. The want Melrosians to pay more tax money while they use it for their Private Family Health Insurance? If they had to pay for their own health care, they might think twice before asking the rest of us to support an OVERRIDE . People are struggling with financial concerns and will be voting NO to the "political hacks/public servants" !!!!!!! NO ! No, No to GIC and No On The Override!

I thought Billy Forbes was a lifelong union man. Why isn't he taking health insurance for life from the union instead of the city?

Good Question for BF.
What is the cost of "Lifelong" Health Insurance to the city?
Over the long term.... Millions?

People are struggling with financial concerns and will be voting NO to the "political hacks/public servants" !!!!!!! NO ! No, No to GIC and No On The Override![/quote

You use the term "public servants" like it's a bad thing. Our Fire fighters and Police Officers deserve their healthcare and everything else they get. BOA members, no effing way. Just making sure you weren't speaking about all public employees.

My apologies for the confusion. The "political hacks" who claim to be "public servants" are the politicians who use their roles and positions to game the system. In the case of Melrose, The BOA steal our limited tax revenu to pay for health insurance. The Fire, Police and other city employees who work FULL TIME for the City of Melrose deserve retirement and health benefits. The BOA may be "entitled" (because of a legal loophole which the State Legislature [true political hacks] passed for themselves, friends and family) but that doesn't make it fair or moral.

You are right. The City needs to eliminate GIC for the BOA immediately. This idea is really gathering momentum and will be an issue in the upcoming BOA elections and The Override debate which certainly impacts the SC races. The money spent on Health Insurance for the Aldermen will increase the NO votes on the Override.

Stupid Suggestion, Myron
My apologies for the confusion. The "political hacks" who claim to be "public servants" are the politicians who use their roles and positions to game the system. In the case of Melrose, The BOA steal our limited tax revenu to pay for health insurance. The Fire, Police and other city employees who work FULL TIME for the City of Melrose deserve retirement and health benefits. The BOA may be "entitled" (because of a legal loophole which the State Legislature [true political hacks] passed for themselves, friends and family) but that doesn't make it fair or moral.

Don't part time workers get health insurance too? What is the minimum number of hours that city employees need to work to get benefits?

Yes, part time workers are allowed to receive benefits in Melrose. So I am not sure why it is such a big deal that the Alderman receive GIC- they are probably working as many hours and getting very little pay for the work that they do on behalf of the city.

PT workers
Yes, part time workers are allowed to receive benefits in Melrose. So I am not sure why it is such a big deal that the Alderman receive GIC- they are probably working as many hours and getting very little pay for the work that they do on behalf of the city.

It is a very BIG DEAL !

Big Deal
PT workers

It is a very BIG DEAL !

GIC for the BOA will be a "Big Deal" in defeating the Override.......;

If selected Aldermen get GIC insurance then isn't it fair that other groups such as the school committee get the same benefit? They actually are responsible for more of the city budget dollars than the BOA even given the fact that the BOA needs to sign off on their budget. Also, the school committee has many more meetings than the BOA.

The fairest thing to do is to eliminate the benefit from the few aldermen who have it now. Otherwise it shows how much our Mayor is playing favorites.

Come on Mayor Dolan - grow a couple!

PT workers
Part time workers don't get health insurance. That's why the schools keep so many people from working more than 20 hours a week.

The school crossing supervisors are serving many more hours in inclement weather, crossing your children, and they do not rate GIC insurance! If you support the clowns on the BOA recieving GIC then answer this simple question please....ARE YOU A MORON OR JUST PLAIN OLD FASHION STUPID? Who the hell elected Mortimer, that ward needs to seriously study their district school requirements![BigGavel]

part time workers
PT workers
Part time workers don't get health insurance. That's why the schools keep so many people from working more than 20 hours a week.

Last time I checked, 20 hours was part time.