Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joan Bell the Unsung Hero of Mt. Hood

I just watched the budget hearings, and for the first time I actually heard a chairman of the Parks Commission, (William Gardiner) give credit where credit is due. To his credit as well.

Joan Bell is truly a work horse, a visionary and she plays with the cards that she is dealt to do her job with integrity and professionalism that many young women and us older gals should aspire too.

It must be insufferable to work with the likes of John Mercer and John McLaughlin and be required to suffer through their needless onslaughts of self-importance and testosterone to do what is right for the community. But yet Joan proves her worth in action not words.

I hope this message finds you well Joan. Keep up the good work!

Re: Joan Bell the Unsung Hero of Mt. Hood

I would partially agree with the previous post. Joan Bell is very professional and does an outstanding job for the citizens of Melrose. She is a tremendous asset and we are lucky to have her.

However, I also say that we are lucky to have Mercer, McLaughlin and Gardiner on the Park commission. They have absolutely been visionaries for this city. In a small little city like Melrose they have delivered state of the art facilities; turned our golf course into one of the best in the state; deliver an outstanding schedule of programs each season through the parks department and also manage to work with a number of different groups to deliver offerings that make Melrose such a great place to live (like the recent basketball benefit for Sean Collier; the recent Gronkowski camp; the dog park or the ever-popular Farmer’s market). Make no mistake about it, were it not for this commission the high school’s athletic facilities would still be stuck in the 1970’s and dogs would still be pooping all over our fine city. This commission, working closely with Joan and her team over the years, has done a great job for our city. We are lucky to have this commission of unpaid volunteers serving our community. Their tireless work deserves gratitude, not criticism.

Sycophant Alert: The administration attack dogs are out.

"Make no mistake about it, were it not for this commission ... dogs would still be pooping all over our fine city." Who says they aren't still pooping all over the city???!!! They are certainly pooping on this website!

Partially agree
"turned our golf course into one of the best in the state"

Put down the crack pipe, doofus. If you think Mt. Hood is one of the best golf courses in the state, I have a bridge I want to sell you. Have you forgotten that McLaughlin was the tip of the spear for Mr. 26%'s raise? It's been a long time since I've read such a collection of tripe. Get off your knees - and what's that brown stuff all over your nose?

Call Mt. Hood and see if you can get a tee time for this weekend. Good luck!

Can't. I'll be at Pine Hills both days.

Good luck paying $220 for that over-rated crap hole of a track. No room at the Hood, they are at full capacity this weekend....oh, and the Mt. Hood is also responsible for funding the MHS fields. Great course, great oversight by the Park Commission and great City. Thrilled to be living here. Enjoy Plymouth with all the other whale-pant wearing losers. You will not be missed here.

Honestly, I have no opinion about Mt Hood or any other golf course. I have no opinion about Joan Bell or anyone else. I am not informed on the issue, but I will be after reading this. I will get informed. In the meantime, I understand that if you do have an opinion and want to defend either, that is your choice. But why do you have to do it in such a crude and, dare I say, douchey way? Why does the other place have to be an "over-rated crap hole of a track"? Why do the people of Plymouth have to be "whale-pant wearing losers"? Why can't you just defend Mt. Hood on the merits of Mt. Hood? Why does it always have to devolve into the sort of argument where, even if I want to take your "side", I can't, because you sound like such an ignorant jerk? You are actually the type of person that would not be missed in Melrose?

Why?
Honestly, I have no opinion about Mt Hood or any other golf course. I have no opinion about Joan Bell or anyone else. I am not informed on the issue, but I will be after reading this. I will get informed. In the meantime, I understand that if you do have an opinion and want to defend either, that is your choice. But why do you have to do it in such a crude and, dare I say, douchey way? Why does the other place have to be an "over-rated crap hole of a track"? Why do the people of Plymouth have to be "whale-pant wearing losers"? Why can't you just defend Mt. Hood on the merits of Mt. Hood? Why does it always have to devolve into the sort of argument where, even if I want to take your "side", I can't, because you sound like such an ignorant jerk? You are actually the type of person that would not be missed in Melrose?

That is the nature of this board. There are a few rules - 1) never admit to anything positive going on Melrose and 2) be very crass in the process of trashing Melrose when complying with point 1. There is a third rule, which is to repeat your crass anti-Melrose statements on every thread over and over ad infinitum. Also call anyone who has anything positive to say about Melrose dumb and uniformed, because if they were either smart or informed they would trash Melrose too.

FYI - 54 holes over 2 days. 18 Jones, 36 Nicklaus. Cost - $0.00. Eat your heart out.

@ "Why" - I find your selective indignation to be laughable. I posted brief compliment about Mt. Hood and a reply came in from "Too Much Crack" that: (1) calls me a “doofus”, (2) accuses me of smoking a crack pipe, (3) tells me to get off my knees and (4) indicates that I have brown stuff all over my nose. You apparently were fine with that venomous attack none of that was crude or, dare I say, douchey, by your standards. Maybe you didn’t read the entire string or perhaps you have a soft spot for the residents of Plymouth. More likely you are another Melrose hater on this board that hates to admit to the awesomeness that is the city of Melrose. Go jump in traffic and join your buddy down in Plymouth; you will not be missed here at all. I will be at the hood soaking in the rays on our own gem of a golf course.

"Partially Agree" and "Too much crack" seem to be the worst this city has to offer. I agree that "Why?" should have called out "too much crack" as well, but his/her point was well-taken. Can't you just point out all the great things at Mount Hood, and leave it at that? You both sound simply awful when you choose to speak this way. And "Partially agree", I wish you would stop telling people to leave the city. It seems to be your only rebuttal. Many of us like public debate, and feel that it is a sign of a healthy community if we can debate things without deciding that people who don't agree with us should leave. If you were really confident in your convictions, you could just say them without feeling the need to eliminate those who would disagree.

Thanks for the reply...now leave this city!

I’d like to see Patrick DelloRusso play a round of golf in Plymouth with the town manager and selectmen! Talk about getting run out on a rail! But I digress.

Mt. Hood is a treasure. Despite the fact that it has to operate short of the funds it needs to pay for all the new fields in this City. I know I’ll get a lot of flak for that last statement and so be it. Dolan couldn’t bond for them so he figured out a way to get the legislature to change the law and siphon off precious resources. Malden wasn’t stupid. Oh sure…right…right! We’ll help pay for revamping Pine Banks! When that fell through (and Dolan knew it would) guess who paid for the whole kit and caboodle? I don’t fault Malden at all. It was an offer they couldn’t refuse. Why pay for the milk when you have the Melrose cash cow?

Mt Hood is truly a special place for hiking and walking. Not just for golf. There are many volunteers that contribute to its success and like him or not Myron Dittmer is one of them. But I won’t udder (pun intended) one word of thanks to Mercer and McLaughlin. I have witnessed the way they treat members of the public. They act like Mt Hood is their person fiefdom and soap box with which they are able to pontificate about how great they are. Just sayin….
[8-)]

PdR should join EoC in an orange or striped jumpsuit somewhere minimally secure, and bring their best bud RD along after a necessary stint in rehab. Several others might be good candidates to join in the fun if the house of cards tumbles they way it very well might for these arrogant SOBs.

There are many rumors/facts in Plymouth about PdR.....

Mt. Hood funds being used to fund fields at MHS, Pine Banks and keep the course running at full capacity should be held up a model for municipal management for the rest of the Commonwealth. Using golf fees from a public course to pay for public spaces was pure genius. Even though Malden could not come through and it would’ve been nice to have a turf softball field, the grass field is in great shape and the Pine Banks facility is getting great usage. If we had other open space options to serve our city perhaps Melrose could’ve turned their backs on Malden, instead the city pushed forward an created a great multi-use facility at Pine Banks with no impact to taxpayers. That would not otherwise have been possible without the great leadership of the Mayor, Mercer, Mclaughlin and the rest of the park commission. The only thanks to MFD is for agreeing to support the change in state law so that turf fields were not built up at Mt. Hood (aka the red herring). The residents of this city, and Malden, owe these gentlemen a huge round of applause.

Lord, what a pile of drivel.

Yes, a huge pile of drivel.

Patricia the fact that you started this thread for you to compliment one person but end up bashing two others by the end of your post is embarrassing. I have known both Joan and John since I was 5 and they both have done nothing but set a good example for any kids they worked with. It is sad and petty that you put your name on a post where you said such things about a well respected man in this community. Figure it out.

Just noticed this subject matter based on the new posting - I totally agree with Patty's assessment of Joan Bell.I have worked with many different Superintendents of Parks in Melrose over my 39 years here in the city and she is by far the best of them! She has been very professional in all my dealings with her related to Mount Hood and open spaces and she brings thoughtful, creative, and high energy in carrying out her duties and responsibilities. We are fortunate to have such a dedicated person in our city government and she represents all that is good about public service.

There was a change in the chairmanship of the Park Commission 2-3 years ago and I can honestly and truthfully say that the current group of commissioners and the chairman have been more cooperative and open-minded to suggestions and recommendations by the public and are welcoming to these who wish to speak before them at their monthly meetings. Unlike our school committee, you won't find these commissioners belligerent, confrontational, or limit you to 5 minutes when speaking.

Anyone Notice Joan Bells name on political contribution lists ? Guess who she gave money too?

Dolan right?