Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ben Franklin Quotes

Geezer got me googling Ben Franklin quotes. Here are a few from American History Central:

“Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society.”

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.”

“Where liberty dwells, there is my country.”

“Never confuse motion with action.”

“This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins. ”

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

“Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God. ”

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”

Re: Ben Franklin Quotes

The third one from the bottom seems particularly relevant.

Thanks for the additional quotes, interesting! (The one I posted was a bumper sticker I saw [:-D])

Myron, this one is for you:

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

I think that should be the theme of this entire message board.

What if the criticism, condemnation, and complaining is actually justified? And wasn't Franklin one of the key players in the American Revolution, which is the textbook example of a justified reaction to unresponsive and out of control governance? Seems to me Franklin criticized, condemned and complained about British rule for some time prior to that. All that's necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to say and do nothing.

I think Ben Franklin actually identified himself and proposed some solutions.

When the Boston Tea Party took place in 1773, Ben Franklin dubbed it an “act of violent injustice on our part” and insisted that the East India Company should be compensated for its losses.