Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Override Defeat

The stock market went down one thousand points this week. 401Ks took a hit. Interest rates are going up next month. The ant-government and ant-tax movements have nationwide support from democrats, independents and republicans. This does not bode well for passage of the Override. No one can afford an increase in their taxes.

Re: Override Defeat

I can afford the override quite easily.

Great! Then you pay for it..it is only for $2.25 million....and then we can all thank you for wasting your money!

I can

You are lucky but in the minority.......

Minority
I can

You are lucky but in the minority.......

With Melrose being the hottest zip code, and people moving into town who can afford high end condos, and who can bid cash over asking price for 500k+ houses, I think a lot of Melrosians will be able to afford $240/year. After all, it isn't that much more $$$ than a few rounds of good at Mount Hood and much less than an annual golf membership.

Oh...so now that people are moving into Melrose affording those expensive condos- we should all vote for the override - what universe do you live in? Like we all have an extra $300-400 a year for the rest of our lives to spend on this override plus an extra 2.5% increase each year, plus an increase in water/sewer rates, etc.

Hey Golfer - why don't you and your fellow golfers get together and chip in the $2.25 million dollars the city is asking for and we will all say - THANKS!

No, because as another golfer pretty soon I won't be able to afford to play anymore anyway.

I can

Sorry to disappoint, man, but this isn't Lexington. Not everyone wants to pay 240 extra a year for EVER. Obviously you're right, could they pay it, of course, but who can blame them for NOT wanting too.

Why should I pay one cent towards any past, current or future BOA member's healthcare? ....The phony political hacks should not expect taxpayers to pay GIC !