Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Election

It's no secret that the pro-override people will be out in force on election day. It's crucial that those of us opposed to the override not abdicate our responsibility. We cannot assume that opposition to the override is strong enough that we, each and every one of us, isn't crucial to the effort to stop it. Get to the polls and cast a ballot.

There are some really clear choices available to us this time around, and we have a real opportunity to send a very clear message - that we are fed up with business as usual, that our patience has run out, and that we will not trust them with any more of our hard-earned dollars until it's clearly demonstrated that they have put their house in order.

Get to the polls and vote. If you don't you will have no right to complain about whatever comes next.

Re: Election

Each day that passes I am more convinced my NO vote will be the correct one.

Melrosian
Each day that passes I am more convinced my NO vote will be the correct one.

No doubt in my mind either.

Everyone needs to get out and Vote on November 3rd. The yes people will, make no mistake in thinking otherwise. If the override passes, it is forever so a few minutes at the voting booth is well worth it. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. Get out and vote. Even late in the day.

I wouldn't have thought of myself as either a pre-decided "yes" person or a "no" person, but most of the threads here (including some comments by the same people on this thread) have had the effect of nudging me toward voting "yes".

So you're going to have to work on your argument.

The threads which confuse me go something like this:

* Why does the city have a non-handicapped accessible, falling apart police station [followed by a bunch of likeminded complaining] [followed by "vote "no" on the override!]
* Why are Melrose school class sizes so large [followed by a bunch of likeminded complaining] [followed by "vote "no" on the override!]
* Why can't the city afford to fix a few potholes [followed by a bunch of likeminded complaining] [followed by "vote "no" on the override!]
* Lots of other complaints about the lack of city resources, for PD, FD, DPW. There seem to be fewer people here who care about schools (more chatty gossip about school committee members than actual talk about schools), but plenty of complaints about lack of resources there too.

Occasionally there's complaining about improvements the city *is* making, like all the construction on Lebanon Street. But then, 30 seconds of web searching tells us that's a MassDOT funded project. Or the work done last year on Franklin Street. But another 30 seconds of web searching tells us that was a one-time state funded MassWorks grant.

So maybe it would make sense to give the city a few resources to do things right?
[:-?]

sort of confused
I wouldn't have thought of myself as either a pre-decided "yes" person or a "no" person, but most of the threads here (including some comments by the same people on this thread) have had the effect of nudging me toward voting "yes".

So you're going to have to work on your argument.

The threads which confuse me go something like this:

* Why does the city have a non-handicapped accessible, falling apart police station [followed by a bunch of likeminded complaining] [followed by "vote "no" on the override!]
* Why are Melrose school class sizes so large [followed by a bunch of likeminded complaining] [followed by "vote "no" on the override!]
* Why can't the city afford to fix a few potholes [followed by a bunch of likeminded complaining] [followed by "vote "no" on the override!]
* Lots of other complaints about the lack of city resources, for PD, FD, DPW. There seem to be fewer people here who care about schools (more chatty gossip about school committee members than actual talk about schools), but plenty of complaints about lack of resources there too.

Occasionally there's complaining about improvements the city *is* making, like all the construction on Lebanon Street. But then, 30 seconds of web searching tells us that's a MassDOT funded project. Or the work done last year on Franklin Street. But another 30 seconds of web searching tells us that was a one-time state funded MassWorks grant.

So maybe it would make sense to give the city a few resources to do things right?
[:-?]

All of the items you mentioned above are not part of the override funding as published by the mayor so I don't understand your point. Actually I do. You are a troll.

People on here care about the schools to a level and extent of thoughtfulness that I don't see on other media sites.

A big turnout is expected so those voting YES are asked to show up at the polls on Tuesday the 3rd and those voting NO are asked to show up on Wednesday the 4th. This should help with traffic.

"* Why does the city have a non-handicapped accessible, falling apart police station [followed by a bunch of likeminded complaining] [followed by "vote "no" on the override!]"

The override is not for any specific physical improvements, please remember that. After the first year it is not earmarked at all it can be diverted to any purpose including raises for the mayor and alderman.

Is our Police station old outdated and in need of replacement, yes, but the override was never put in to be dedicated for that purpose. If it was, I would vote yes, we would have a modern functional public safety building and when the bond was paid off the override would go away. The Override as currently proposed never goes away it increases your property tax forever, all future taxes to be based on that higher rate so it has a along term multiplier effect. A yes vote will negatively effect our seniors and those on fixed incomes.

I have kids in our school system and many physical improvements could be made, renovations to Horace Mann, new Lockers for the high school that students could and would use. New energy efficient and noise reducing windows at Franklin. completion of AC at the middle school.The Override does none of these, it basically creates a slush fund the administration can diverte anywhere it wants. I will vote NO.

Wed. the 4th
A big turnout is expected so those voting YES are asked to show up at the polls on Tuesday the 3rd and those voting NO are asked to show up on Wednesday the 4th. This should help with traffic.

Haha. Very funny, except that voter misinformation is considered electoral fraud.

So, "Sort of confused" is getting "nudged" to a yes vote? Please, just stop.
Your post is clearly the workings of a fully-decided "yes" voter, and that is fine, but spare us the dramatics.
Try the Melrose schools thread, and take a look at the numerous posts from people who have clearly explained their reasoning for a "no" vote. The schools have shown no ability to spend wisely, the SC cannot even be trusted to operate with transparency or explain their spending for lawyers, the three OCR investigations, the sham of a school committee who gives a terrible superintendent glowing reviews and raises in salary, despite cold, hard facts from the one upstanding SC member, showing Taymore's gross failings, consistent mediocre performance on state testing, parents, trying to advocate for their children being silenced by the administration. Chatty gossip? I don't think so. Go talk to the METCO student, or the fired art teacher, or the numerous good teachers who have walked away. None of this is chatty gossip. These are real issues, and they show a broken system that cannot be fixed by throwing more money at it. That is why people are voting "no".
Your post is cute. Pretending to write in the manner of "Poor me. I am just a confused person who can't understand all of you complaints" is so disingenuous, it is almost funny. We all get your point. You disagree with the "no" vote. Fine. Just vote "yes" and stop with the fake "confusion".

A NO vote on November 3rd is a Yes vote for demanding Honesty, Transparency, Accountability and Ethical behavior from our School Committee, Superintendent's office, City Solicitor's office and Mayor's office. Let's get our house in order before we discuss overrides.