Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ANOTHER FREE PRESS OPINION FOR MELROSE

The Melrose Free Press has published an editorial saying it would be a “good thing” for Melrose to establish a Commission on Women. Once again, as with their endorsement of an override, we have an out-of-town publication (that you have to dial 978 to reach) telling Melrose citizens which side they should be on regarding a pending issue.
This, at a time when the credibility and the viability of the press are at an all time low. It undermines what should be the very basis for their business which is informing readers with impartiality.
They fail to mention that only ten out of 351 municipalities have such a Commission. Cambridge (pop 105,000) and Brookline (pop 60,00O) are used as examples - absurd demographic comparisons.

Re: ANOTHER FREE PRESS OPINION FOR MELROSE

Who the heck wants to emulate those two towns! Cambridge is a sanctuary city - ugh! How about a Commission on Men, Commission on Dogs, Commission on LGBT, Commission on "fill it in". This will just be another slide in the Mayor's annual review of the city!

My question to all that are for this Commission that have daughters, granddaughters, nieces, etc. Do you say to them this Commission is good because without it you won't succeed. You're different than the boys and therefore you need someone fighting for you. Doesn't this start to divide your daughter from the boys. Does she begin to think at an early age she's different and weaker. The Free Press said without these types of groups, many would still be oppressed. In 2016 this seems like a ridiculous thing to say especially about women given many women hold the top seat in organizations.

Quite frankly - the whole thing is ludicrous. It's more because of identity politics - giving some people more power to use against others! One has to know that our Mayor is a Democrat and they certainly subscribe to identity politics - big time!

Imagine the reaction of the distaff side of the Board of Alderman if a male board member had suggested a Melrose
Commission for Men. Instead, they sat there like the neutered sex American males have been accused of
becoming.

The Village Voice
Imagine the reaction of the distaff side of the Board of Alderman if a male board member had suggested a Melrose
Commission for Men. Instead, they sat there like the neutered sex American males have been accused of
becoming.

The Village Voice/Mrs. DiLillo why are you so angry and fearful?

Don;t get paranoic. I am not Julie.

The Village Voice
Don;t get paranoic. I am not Julie.

The VV' s postings are almost verbatim (Julie 's letter to the editor FP) and comments on MM. So, maybe The VV is not Julie but her "distaff" named Brian. The VV postings are filled with negativity which is worrying.

Julie DiLillo "voiced" her opposition to The Commission on Women to the Board of Aldermen. The same words she spoke then were written in her letter to the Editor of The Free Press. The Village Voice posted on Melrose's Messages the same phrases, exact words and opposition. The Village Voices are Brian and Julie.

Julie had nothing to do with the Editorial or Letters to the Editor on this topic nor did her husband Brian. As a friend I know neither has voiced any opinion to any medium other than the Board of Alderman so please unless you know your facts do not call out names with negative comments.

Just to clear up all issues, the Melrose Free Press only contained an Editorial supporting the Commission by using my arguments made at the Board of Alderman. I have not voiced my opinion to any newspaper but of course I am more than open to talking to the media. As for angry, I guess I am. As a successful woman who has worked hard and has risen through the ranks to a leadership position, I am insulted to think we as women need a commission to fight for us. In addition, in 2016 women are not oppressed as was implied in the Free Press. Do some research, look at statistics and be knowledgeable about what such a Commission may do.

Good for you. Well said. And I am totally confused by some posters attempting to cast you as VuVu et al, especially after your public position about that stupid override. I for one am grateful to have someone willing to take a public stand like that. It's not easy to cross the Emperor, since you knew going in you'd be forevermore on his $hit list.

Who the f*** needs a womens commission?

Woman
Who the f*** needs a womens commission?

Because the Mayor needs another slide in his annual city address to show how much he is doing for the city. Of course the city does not need a "Woman's Commission". It doesn't take a "rocket scientist" to see just how many women in this city hold good positions in city government, commissions, boards, as well as those leading or participating in local non-profits and other organizations in the city.

Mayor Dolan and the aldermen are creating a “Women’s Commission.”

In an efficient and transparent local government, we should next expect Dolan and company to establish a “Special Education Commission” to determine why Melrose spends twice the state average and three times the national average on special education in the public schools. It’s goals and outcomes might be to align such taxpayer dollars to state and national averages, while budgeting for lower class size and improved teaching and learning with available data to back it all up.

Or: “Water and Sewer Citizen’s Advisory Commission” that reveals the individual personnel transfers by Dolan and the aldermen from city hall accounts to Water and Sewer accounts along with their respective salaries, benefits and new job descriptions. Its goals and outcomes might be to assure taxpayers that their water and sewer payments are going exclusively to water and sewer services.

Or: “Employment Commission” that lists each city and school employee’s salary (including aldermen) that are earning less than their $22,000.00 full-time health benefit. Its goals and outcomes might be to assure the taxpayers that public salaries are not back-ended with costly benefits.

Or: “Ethics Commission” that publicly lists all city and school employee salary and their relationship -- through to cousin – to any other city or school employee or elected official. Its goals and outcomes might be to track nepotism and favoritism, and assure the taxpayers that employment in the city and schools is, indeed, open to all.

Or: “Unfunded Pension Liability Commission” that publicly tracks the city’s pension contributions from current employees and payments to retirees. Its goals and outcomes might be to show on a prescribed timeline that future city retiree pensions – paid by taxpayer dollars – will provide the expected benefit 10 and 20 years down the road.

All of the above public information would directly benefit every parent and taxpayer. Experience tells that vague and questionable committees and commissions are often established to divert attention from the taxpayer about the real issues facing a city and its schools.

J DeLillo
Just to clear up all issues, the Melrose Free Press only contained an Editorial supporting the Commission by using my arguments made at the Board of Alderman. I have not voiced my opinion to any newspaper but of course I am more than open to talking to the media. As for angry, I guess I am. As a successful woman who has worked hard and has risen through the ranks to a leadership position, I am insulted to think we as women need a commission to fight for us. In addition, in 2016 women are not oppressed as was implied in the Free Press. Do some research, look at statistics and be knowledgeable about what such a Commission may do.

What an incredibly selfish, self centered, pompous thing to say. Basically saying, "I did it all on my own" and everyone else can and should too regardless of their circumstances! Not all about you lady. You do not represent all women, and your statements show how small minded you are. This person works for HR? You must be great at that job. So understanding. NOT.

Now this woman is on the Women's Commission? Pathetic.

Bob Snow
Mayor Dolan and the aldermen are creating a “Women’s Commission.”

In an efficient and transparent local government, we should next expect Dolan and company to establish a “Special Education Commission” to determine why Melrose spends twice the state average and three times the national average on special education in the public schools. It’s goals and outcomes might be to align such taxpayer dollars to state and national averages, while budgeting for lower class size and improved teaching and learning with available data to back it all up.

Or: “Water and Sewer Citizen’s Advisory Commission” that reveals the individual personnel transfers by Dolan and the aldermen from city hall accounts to Water and Sewer accounts along with their respective salaries, benefits and new job descriptions. Its goals and outcomes might be to assure taxpayers that their water and sewer payments are going exclusively to water and sewer services.

Or: “Employment Commission” that lists each city and school employee’s salary (including aldermen) that are earning less than their $22,000.00 full-time health benefit. Its goals and outcomes might be to assure the taxpayers that public salaries are not back-ended with costly benefits.

Or: “Ethics Commission” that publicly lists all city and school employee salary and their relationship -- through to cousin – to any other city or school employee or elected official. Its goals and outcomes might be to track nepotism and favoritism, and assure the taxpayers that employment in the city and schools is, indeed, open to all.

Or: “Unfunded Pension Liability Commission” that publicly tracks the city’s pension contributions from current employees and payments to retirees. Its goals and outcomes might be to show on a prescribed timeline that future city retiree pensions – paid by taxpayer dollars – will provide the expected benefit 10 and 20 years down the road.

All of the above public information would directly benefit every parent and taxpayer. Experience tells that vague and questionable committees and commissions are often established to divert attention from the taxpayer about the real issues facing a city and its schools.

Bob, "You state “Water and Sewer Citizen’s Advisory Commission” that reveals the individual personnel transfers by Dolan and the aldermen from city hall accounts to Water and Sewer accounts along with their respective salaries, benefits and new job descriptions. Its goals and outcomes might be to assure taxpayers that their water and sewer payments are going exclusively to water and sewer services."

How do you prove this is happening so that we can stop it? The fake water bills need to stop.

I give credit to Ms. DeLillo and Alderman Lemmerman for communicating and having an open conversation. Diversity includes people of varying political perspectives and differing opinions. JL invited JD to be one of the first Commissioners and JD accepted. Working "across the divide" isn't easy but when attempted can bring about more creative and meaningful impacts. I think what JL and JD showed by the process described in this Thursday's Free Press is something other Melrose groups and politicians should try.

While JL certainly deserves credit, it remains to be seen what JD deserves. JL said there were many candidates who wanted to be on the Commission. So now that JD has gotten herself put on a Commission she didn't think should even exist, it remains to be seen whether she will be obstructionist or productive. If JD's starting point remains that she got everything she got on her own (obviously not true since life does not occur in a vacuum), remains offended at the thought of the the Commission, and believes that women do not deserves equal pay or equal benefits, then she will serve as a ball and chain for that Commission. Let's hope not but I wonder whether someone with a better understanding of life from the get go would have been more productive and indeed, more deserving. Her "facts/statistics" about women likely come from Faux news and Palin/Bachmann land, because they sure aren't a reality for most.

JD deserves a ton of credit for running a dignified, respectful and fact-based campaign against Dolan's override (which by contrast was run disrespectfully and based in fraudulent manipulation of the facts and the most cynical abuse of the voter's trust).

JL deserves no special credit for a history of going with the administration on all things that should count in Melrose but obviously don't (beyond the faux PC crumbs thrown around). However, there is nothing wrong per se in having this "commission," even though it is most obviously a political crowd-pleaser, which is more of the kinds of crass political machinations of which this community has grown weary. Just like the HRC, it is likely to be useless in taking meaningful stands when it counts, only going where RD tells it to, everyone on it being his grateful personal appointees, after all.

Party politics should not be determining local governance, though unfortunately they too often do.

JD has a justified perception problem when it comes to her Repub party line and her rather ridiculous, right-wing objections to this commission, though she is a nice person who obviously has only the best of intent. She should stick with the fiscal issues, where she has plenty of credibility.

JL has plenty of justified perception problems in a voting record to date that is totally a rubber stamp for Dolan, though no one would suggest she is anything but a nice person, also. By going with the local dems (who are anything but representative of true democratic values in local governance) on absolutely everything (including that boondoggle of an override) she automatically discredits herself.

Give Credit
I give credit to Ms. DeLillo and Alderman Lemmerman for communicating and having an open conversation. Diversity includes people of varying political perspectives and differing opinions. JL invited JD to be one of the first Commissioners and JD accepted. Working "across the divide" isn't easy but when attempted can bring about more creative and meaningful impacts. I think what JL and JD showed by the process described in this Thursday's Free Press is something other Melrose groups and politicians should try.

The SC and BOA members should follow the example of JL and JD.

Honestly, I could care less about this commission, but these things have a weird way of turning into just another RD pep club. I'll wait until I see whether JD's position on an override changes if the MEF mafia succeeds in getting another one on the ballot. I suspect it will not, but stranger things have happened. Any time you get a group appointed by the Mayor you get a group beholden to the Mayor. Aren't there enough of those already?

The MEF crew haven't a chance in hell in getting another override on the ballot because it would be a major embarrassment to RD and cohorts when it is defeated. And don't assume that the new Commission is another pep squad beholden to Dolan. It appears that the majority of appointees are older and wiser than the MEF mommie brigade.

I hope you're right. We'll see, but if RD is involved, it's political. That's his bottom line.

Off Base
The MEF crew haven't a chance in hell in getting another override on the ballot because it would be a major embarrassment to RD and cohorts when it is defeated. And don't assume that the new Commission is another pep squad beholden to Dolan. It appears that the majority of appointees are older and wiser than the MEF mommie brigade.

What difference does that mean! They will still be beholding to him since he appoints or recommends them. You have a so called "older group" as BOA and they are just rubber stamps for the Mayor who has given a number of them GIC health care. Age and wiser does not mean more enlightened.

JD, who was chair of the No Override committee, was obviously co=opted by the Mayor in hopes of neutralizing her
if another override is attempted. She was naive to think otherwise. As the saying goes, "Blow in her ear and you
can take her anywhere."

The Truthsayer
JD, who was chair of the No Override committee, was obviously co=opted by the Mayor in hopes of neutralizing her
if another override is attempted. She was naive to think otherwise. As the saying goes, "Blow in her ear and you
can take her anywhere."

No override will be attempted any time soon because it would go up in flames. DeLillo is not naive, will not be co-opted and will not be an obstructionist on the Commission on Women. My Easter Sunday Truthsaying includes a wish that this new Commission be given a chance and that the appointees be respected not dissected. Happy Easter, Happy Spring, Happy New Beginnings and let's all wish for some Ressurection Spirit which Melrose desperately needs! The Melrose Commission on Women might just surprise everyone.

I am far from naive and certainly well aware of any tactics. However I wanted to be on this commission to lend a diverse point of view. I am a Director of Human Resources and have first hand knowledge of what really goes into compensation. I will use my experience to hopefully add value and make sure the commission works to educate both sides versus making this a women against men commission. If you watched, I spoke out twice against the commission but when it passed knew we needed a diverse point of view whether it was mine or someone else.

I am not beholden to the Mayor or anyone but this is our city so if we have these types of commissions then instead of complaining we need to be a voice and that's my goal.

Julie DeLillo
I am far from naive and certainly well aware of any tactics. However I wanted to be on this commission to lend a diverse point of view. I am a Director of Human Resources and have first hand knowledge of what really goes into compensation. I will use my experience to hopefully add value and make sure the commission works to educate both sides versus making this a women against men commission. If you watched, I spoke out twice against the commission but when it passed knew we needed a diverse point of view whether it was mine or someone else.

Although I think it's highly suspect that the city suddenly wants a "Woman's Commission" in 2016, I hope that you are able to stay strong & clear eyed. To speak out when you hear something that makes no sense especially if it benefits someone with a personal agenda.
Keeping the research, facts & real numbers at the ready always helps.
Going along to get along is so much easier. I realize that your work against the override indicates that you're not trying to win a popularity contest. I have no reason to doubt your perseverance. Except, I have seen some SC committee members come in looking like they might be about something and then they fold. Happens all the time in government all over.

@Bob Snow, All of those commissions are needed.
I would add personal friend to the ethics commission for the nepotism check. A Friend before employment whose experience isn't close to what the job requires but gets hired anyway while other actually qualified people don't.

Julie DeLillo

Perhaps outside your commission's jurisdiction but why is Cyndy Taymore scheduled to get a 3% raise when there is the all too familiar no money in the school budget? Since she makes over $170,000 her 3% translates into approx 7,000. A raise many people would appreciate receiving themselves but seems excessive if the budget woes are real.

Let's face it, she won't stay or leave based on that amount but some parents might appreciate not having a fee raised. Has she really added more than 3% value to MPS this year?

[/quote]Let's face it, she won't stay or leave based on that amount but some parents might appreciate not having a fee raised. Has she really added more than 3% value to MPS this year?[/quote]

Are you kidding!Have you read her glowing school committee performance evaluations? Except for the the honest opinion from former committee member CKK, they rated her exceptional, walks on water, advanced our school district to new heights - noted all the positive things - based on this information she should received a 25% raise!

Only - they left out the major OCR finding - the first in recent memory, left out all the pending OCR cases, left out the harassment of SPED parents, the lack of transparency, the excessive spending for legal fees, decimation of the arts and fine arts programs, the lack of engaging the community (except for written questions reviewed and edited by school committee), stagnant SAT and ACT results, lowest graduation rates in recent history (after reviewing the real data)......on and on!