Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Earnings

Is anyone going to ask how the Mayor made almost 135000 when his salary is 125,000?

Re: Earnings

Mayor 2020
Is anyone going to ask how the Mayor made almost 135000 when his salary is 125,000?
n

Didn't the BOA vote in a special step increase system for his position in the dead of night in the recent past? You know - that group that got the GIC insurance benefits from the Mayor. You rub my back - and I'l rub your back - is the philosophy at city hall!

Are you kidding? So on top of his 26% salary increase of last year he will get another $10000 a year? Sounds more like you s*ck my d*ck I'll s*ck yours.

Visuals. 🙈🤑

From Boston Globe Magzine Cover Story on Gov. Baker (2/21/16):

IT’S A MONDAY EVENING and the governor is onstage at the century-old Memorial Hall in Melrose. The building, Baker observes, is newer than some of the switches on the Green Line. Baker is here for what he puckishly says is the 486th inauguration of Mayor Robert Dolan, a Democrat, and he is dispensing plaudits all around — to the high school band for its rendition of the national anthem (“Beautifully done”), to a blue-necktied a cappella group (“I have no tonal capability, but I’m loud”), to a third-grade piano prodigy playing Debussy, to Dolan himself (“his temperament, his class, his dignity”).

(Maybe his driver took him to the wrong location ?)

From what can be ascertained, most of the figures listed in the Weekly News story are 1 or even 2 years out of date. Taymore makes way more than $165, for instance. Burgess needs to do a better job getting the facts reported!

aarp member
From what can be ascertained, most of the figures listed in the Weekly News story are 1 or even 2 years out of date. Taymore makes way more than $165, for instance. Burgess needs to do a better job getting the facts reported!

The Weekly News has only last year's figures to report - they are always a year behind. Taymore makes about $73,500 based on her raise for this year. However, she should give some of that back because of what she is costing the district because of the OCR cases and the legal and PR expenses the city has had to incur because of her incompetence.

Its amazing how the current school administrators can willfully violate the law repeatedly, defy the Office of Civil Rights till the very last minute, and then spend hundreds and thousands of tax dollars dedicated to educating our kids to instead protect themselves from their sins hiring lawyers and spin masters at will for the coverup. And then, all but one school committee member actually votes to give Taymore after-the-fact approval for spending money outside of the budget process without school committee approval... without blinking an eye! In fact, the SC chair actually praised her for her actions even though CT has not been forthcoming since the very beginning about the Federal OCR investigations and her runaway unauthorized spending to contain the mess. But then again, this is Melrose where government ethics and civility gets tossed under the bus.

What is the base pay for a cop in the city? A newly hired one. Some of the salaries are up there. I'm guessing a new cop makes about 50000 and a lot of cops on the list make over 1000000 more than that. I know one of the new cops who did. I make small talk with him when we cross paths but dont know him enough to ask when he works. I know hes been on only a couple of years so there is no time on the job pay or superiors pay. As I drove to the middle school everyday I didnt see him too often doing details on Lebanon St or now on Tremont st so how does he and the others earn more than 100000 over his base pay?

Neighbor
What is the base pay for a cop in the city? A newly hired one. Some of the salaries are up there. I'm guessing a new cop makes about 50000 and a lot of cops on the list make over 1000000 more than that. I know one of the new cops who did. I make small talk with him when we cross paths but dont know him enough to ask when he works. I know hes been on only a couple of years so there is no time on the job pay or superiors pay. As I drove to the middle school everyday I didnt see him too often doing details on Lebanon St or now on Tremont st so how does he and the others earn more than 100000 over his base pay?

There are many factors into an Officers pay. Step one (new guys) Patrol Officers make around $45,000 base. Step five (top step) Patrol Officers make in the area of $54,000 base. These pay figures are about 9 to 11 thousand less than surrounding cities and towns. It is no wonder the Police unions are always going at it with he city, I don't blame them. Like you I am an acquaintance of one of the younger Officers, so this information is very reliable. As for how do they make so much, it's called work work work work work. My buddy says it's easy to make $100,000 but don't plan on spending much time with your family.

So beyond being paid 10K less than surrounding cities, they don't have enough working cruisers, are about 18 men undermanned, and work out of the most disgusting Police Station on the eastern seaboard. But because they can work 80 hours a week and make 100K we overlook the rest? I think we as a city should be promoting a Public safety building. Not only good for the Officers but good for us residents as well.

Thank you "Boss" for helping educate the community about the deplorable state of affairs for our police officers. How did Melrose come to be a community with such contempt for basic values that other communities consider basic--like respect for the police force (demonstrated in appropriate working conditions and compensation), respect for basic civil rights of all, respect for teachers (not under this administration!), respect for the taxpayers, respect for children and families? I just don't understand how Melrose has sunk so low.

It's simple, really - there have been several plans floated over the years for a "new" police station, all of which have year after year been shuffled to the back of the list in favor of other projects.

The answer is simple - there are no votes to be had by building a new PS building. The Mayor spends all his time and money catering to the MEF mommies, and anything else related to the schools. That's where the votes are. The Mayor hates the cops anyway. The only proof you need of that is that cockamamie overtime audit and police study. That hatred began the night of his very first election, when his father was causing a disturbance at the election office and had to be asked to cease and desist several times before the prior election head had to stop what she was doing and order him away from the office because he was disrupting the process of compiling the results. One vote was the original margin, if you'll remember.

Years ago the FD was the department that had a reputation for sticking up for themselves and battling with the city. In the last 10 years, they've rolled over and gone buns up.

Boss
and work out of the most disgusting Police Station on the eastern seaboard.

Did they not renovate the building only a couple of years ago?

They did not. What on earth gave you that idea? A little paint and some movable partitions do not a renovation make. The place is an embarrassment, and it is still not handicap accessible. The phone board is so old and outdated there is no one still alive that knows how to fix it, and the communications equipment and dispatch gear is 1980's vintage. The place is a dump, and it should be torn down immediately. But there are no votes to be had and no a$$es to be kissed, so it won't happen.

To be honest - this is one dedicated override that I would vote for. There is not another police station in surrounding communities that is as bad as ours - it is an embarrassment. The Mayor should be locked up in it for not making this a priority in his administration.

How do so many of the cops make almost $200000? Especially ones who work days because there are no night details in Melrose? There arent a lot of day ones either and it always looks like the same cops doing them. Just curious. I do think they should earn more money without having to work 80 hours a week.

As would I in the right circumstance, Myron, but it should be relocated. The property it sits on now is bigger than it looks and I'll bet you could squeeze forty or more parking spaces in there. In this day and age the PD doesn't need to be in the downtown. One possible viable location might be the field to the left of the Knoll, which is really not much use for anything else. They've sat on this so long that a lot of other locations have slipped away, like the bowling alley property or the Deering property.

They work out if town and they have a lot of night work. They still have to work 80 plus hours so I agree that they should make more money.

Eminent Domain. Take back Wyoming. Demolish Hurd Street, Cory Street and the buildings up to the Masonic Lodge on Wyoming.
Build a new combo police and fire public safety center there. Kick out the drug dealers and slum lords who have turned the deteriorating area into a no go zone! Two obviously high men and their brown and white Pitt Bull walk in the area just when the Lincoln and St. Mary's elementary school are getting out. Yesterday these druggies were headed to the problem house behind Marathon Sports at 2:15pm.

That would be a great idea. Especially Corey St. and that house on the corner. The building that used to be a drapery shop is empty isn't it? Plus side it's right across from dunkin donuts.

Eminent Domain
Eminent Domain. Take back Wyoming. Demolish Hurd Street, Cory Street and the buildings up to the Masonic Lodge on Wyoming.
Build a new combo police and fire public safety center there. Kick out the drug dealers and slum lords who have turned the deteriorating area into a no go zone! Two obviously high men and their brown and white Pitt Bull walk in the area just when the Lincoln and St. Mary's elementary school are getting out. Yesterday these druggies were headed to the problem house behind Marathon Sports at 2:15pm.

That is actually a very good idea, is it legal to do so? Talk about sending a message to the drug scum of this city, putting a station right in their "territory."

Bomb Berwick as well...should be included in a new Public Safety center location....

M10
Boss
and work out of the most disgusting Police Station on the eastern seaboard.

Did they not renovate the building only a couple of years ago?

Some cheap plastic flooring, a paint job, and ceiling tiles. Dolan just made it decent enough in the areas the public has access too, don't be fooled. The man is a thinking politician through and through haha, almost have to admire it. Imagine being so sneaky to the point where you literally "renovate" a building in such a manner. "If they (public) can't see the problem, the problem doesn't exist."

Yes, once again good points. I did a tour with my sons Boy Scouts , What a DUMP !!

Need Public Safety Building bad
No votes in it for Robby