Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Free Cash Parade

The Free Cash Parade has begun. Document here how much and where it all goes.

$210,000.00 to "Fire Overtime"
$547,246.05 to "Contract Stabilization Fund"
$197,500.00 to "Capital Stabilization Fund"
$120,000.00 to "Police Overtime"
$ 58,500.00 to "Wyoming Cemetery"

Total so far - $1,133,246.05

Re: Free Cash Parade

What does contract stabilization mean?

You came late to the parade. It started last year.
They spent $2,462,606.95 of free cash in December.
Add tonight's amount and the total is $3,595,853.
No honest budget would put that much extra money in some line items and not put enough money in other items.

How many teachers,firemen and police officers have left the city for better jobs in the last 5 years?

Question

It's to cover raises in the non-school contracts for next year. Until a contract is signed, they can't put money directly in the budget. Some of it will go to prior year increases. I heard the old police and fire contracts expired.

Pete
How many teachers,firemen and police officers have left the city for better jobs in the last 5 years?

Can't speak to the teachers or firemen, but cousin is an Officer. He didn't say a time period, he just said "since Lyle has been chief at least 10 guys have left." EFFING TEN! That is ten academies you and I have paid for folks. And to think if we just paid these guys the median salary for the area they would have stayed, unreal.

If I had to guess, Fire and Schools can't be far off.

The fire and police stations are a disgrace. This city has spent too much on the failing schools while neglecting/disrespecting other departments. Maybe the MEF "low culture parents" will change their narcissistic ways when they have to call the fire/police to administer narcan to their spoiled, emotionally illiterate brats.

Question

Watched some of last night's Appropriation Committee (BOA) where this parade of transfers was taking place. Don Conn at one point said he didn't want to hear officials talk about items (like percentage of raises) that are matters of negotiation. Maybe he should say that to the superintendent who started talking openly at last SC meeting during budget stuff about coming down from 3% to 1% or something like that. The rank unprofessionalism of that woman is astounding. Of course no one is supposed to discuss those things openly. But why does DC have to stoop even to make such a warning? When is Melrose going to grow up and hire mature, qualified professionals to do their jobs instead of the immature hacks that now fill the top echelon of city management? Answer: when Melrose votes in mature elected officials, which obviously isn't going to happen anytime soon.

The Melrose SC has started on MMTV.... 2to1 voted NO in November... Please remember the voters message, folks. Seeing the convicted felon (who stole seniors investments and retirement accounts) posturing and being "the expert" makes my stomach turn. NUTS!

There they go on the SC, raising Ed Stations fees a whopping 20%, athletic fees 8%, adding a general activity fee across the board for secondary. These people really have no shame. Their trumped up "crisis" and response is sickening and indefensible.

Really get real
The Melrose SC has started on MMTV.... 2to1 voted NO in November... Please remember the voters message, folks. Seeing the convicted felon (who stole seniors investments and retirement accounts) posturing and being "the expert" makes my stomach turn. NUTS!

10:44 pm Ed O'C finally opened his mouth as chair his sub committee.

get real
There they go on the SC, raising Ed Stations fees a whopping 20%, athletic fees 8%, adding a general activity fee across the board for secondary. These people really have no shame. Their trumped up "crisis" and response is sickening and indefensible.
20% increase? Crazy.

why do fireman get more overtime than police? they dont do anything.

carter
why do fireman get more overtime than police? they dont do anything.

Notice that "Carter" is trying to undermine a thread on here by insulting the firefighters. Carter apparently is against transparency about free cash and is also against the firefighters.

Actually it's a legit question, and the answer is because they have a minimum manning clasue.

I Don't Think So
Actually it's a legit question, and the answer is because they have a minimum manning clasue.

I was thinking the same as Carter & I'm not against firemen. When you need them, you really need them. Just that fortunately their true emergencies are few. Not the follow the ambulance stuff. They have my utmost respect because of how dangerous their job can be. Police too. I can't begrudge them their overtime.
The contract stabilization??? I admit that I haven't seen the meeting but it sounds fishy. Because of the high total amount.
Is it a float to cover future contract amounts? If so, I hope it's recorded whereby people aren't getting paid twice. I'm pretty distrustful at this point so I side eye everything. Been lied to too many times by this city.