Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
INAUGURATION ALERT

According to a shout-out by Michael Moore, “On January 20th - Inauguration Day - a call has gone out to nonviolently disrupt the proceedings.” (This is not “The Women’s March on Washington” to be held the next day.) Good luck Michael. If the past is a prologue, radical groups will be there in force to protest against “the system” (regardless of Trump) with physical disruption and media attention as their goal.
A previous Messenger commentator mentioned that the Republican Party was the party of Lincoln. Interestingly, Lincoln once expressed his thoughts about domestic vs. foreign threats to our system of government in an address before the Young Men's Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois on January 27, 1838:
“All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years.
“At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.”

Re: INAUGURATION ALERT

I made this same comment in another topic on this message board but is appropriate here also.

"What ever happened to civility? Why do some people need to vilify those who may think differently than themselves? I understand that we are a divided nation but we are still human beings who are all united in wanting to remain free in the pursuit of happiness!

We have a Constitution and the Bill of Rights to guide us to the freedom and the pursuit of happiness we all seek. Turning against each other because of a lost election does not aspire to the ideals of our foundation documents."