Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Y parking

I am just curious what the restrictions are on parking at the YMCA downtown Melrose. I was trying to find a parking space behind Starbucks's this morning for a coffee and noticed a few people parking there then going to the Y. When I exited through the parking lot behind the Y there were quite a few empty spaces. Does the Y charge to park there? What are the rules? These people parking behind Starbucks were definitely going into the Y. Thank you.

Re: Y parking

Resident
I am just curious what the restrictions are on parking at the YMCA downtown Melrose. I was trying to find a parking space behind Starbucks's this morning for a coffee and noticed a few people parking there then going to the Y. When I exited through the parking lot behind the Y there were quite a few empty spaces. Does the Y charge to park there? What are the rules? These people parking behind Starbucks were definitely going into the Y. Thank you.

It's open parking - unless otherwise posted.

Melrose Resident
Resident

So why aren't the Y members using the Y parking instead of taking up very hard to come by spots behind the starbucks lot! If the Y lot is practically empty they should go there!!!

resident
Melrose Resident
Resident

So why aren't the Y members using the Y parking instead of taking up very hard to come by spots behind the starbucks lot! If the Y lot is practically empty they should go there!!!

Probably, the same reason why ILLEGAL immigrants are taking spaces that should be reserved for LEGAL immigrants.

The Y parking in the back is tax-exempt and for members only. No need for members to use more parking.

Best answer of the week @IHaveTimeToProtest 😂

Mimi
Best answer of the week @IHaveTimeToProtest 😂

Seconded!

It is a shame that our local merchants would miss out on customers because of no parking. That's all that post was about. Just stinks that Y lot empty and city parking tough to get. That's all 🙄

I love Melrose center but I can't stand the parking so I go outside the city.

resident
Melrose Resident
Resident

Because the spots behind Starbucks/Stearns and Hill are closer to the front door of the Y when walking down the alley between the buildings. Parking behind the Y is a longer walk. It's just a matter of convenience.

With that said, there is no enforcement in the Y lot anyway (no stickers, or membership posted in your window) so it doesn't really matter if you park there.

M10
resident
Melrose Resident
Resident

Because the spots behind Starbucks/Stearns and Hill are closer to the front door of the Y when walking down the alley between the buildings. Parking behind the Y is a longer walk. It's just a matter of convenience.

I guess that could be but wouldn't it be odd that people who are going to the Y would skip out on the tiny bit of exercise that is involved with walking the extra 20 feet from the back of the building? [:-?]