Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Additional driving change?

Apparently there will be a traffic commission meeting on Wednesday 6/21 at 5:30, during which a resident on Bellevue Avenue is requesting a change from current law which allows parking on one side of Bellevue Avenue and not both sides. This section of Bellevue is the one connecting Lynn Fells Parkway and Porter Street. While the rest of Bellevue Ave does have parking on both sides of the street, the rest of Bellevue Ave is also straight and not bending around a curve. As is, oncoming traffic drives into the opposite lane to avoid hitting the parked cars along the one side, while also making the curve. Allowing parking on both sides essentially narrows Bellevue to a one lane road where cars will have to take turns getting through (as the parked cars will be in the way). I have no idea which resident requested this but I do know several of the houses on that stretch have new homeowners. I am wondering if once again someone new has moved to a Melrose and only after buying their property decided the town needs to change it's traffic pattern to suit the new homeowner.

Regardless of who is requesting this, if you routinely use Bellevue Ave, it's worth your time to speak up to keep the parking as is (parking on one side only). Otherwise Bellevue will become a place for road rage and realistically more accidents as drivers don't want to take turns letting one another squeak by the parked cars on both sides of the road. Bellevue is a wide road but not wide enough for 4 cars to be side by side (2 parked on either side and 2 cars driving by in their own lanes). There is too much traffic on this road to accommodate the one resident's preference. Honestly the resident can simply park on the other side of the road if need be.

City Hall, traffic commission meeting,5:30 Wednesday 6/21

Or contact your alderman

Re: Additional driving change?

Most streets in Melrose allow parking on both sides similar to this arrangement. When people alternate parking sides (naturally based on where they are going), they cause cars to slow down and yield to each other. This keeps people from speeding down the street and is one of the most effective and cheapest traffic calming devices in existence. No one gets road rage on a side street from having to wave on another car to pass. While a convenient cut-through street, Bellevue Ave is a not a main road. Imagine the freeway that Lincoln St would be if cars didn't park haphazardly. It stands as a prime example of how parking on both sides works.

I trust that the traffic commission knows best practices in roadway design.

You do? Have you been through Essex Street or the Highlands recently? If you think either of those are a good example of thoughtful traffic mitigation and control, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

M10
Most streets in Melrose allow parking on both sides similar to this arrangement. When people alternate parking sides (naturally based on where they are going), they cause cars to slow down and yield to each other. This keeps people from speeding down the street and is one of the most effective and cheapest traffic calming devices in existence. No one gets road rage on a side street from having to wave on another car to pass. While a convenient cut-through street, Bellevue Ave is a not a main road. Imagine the freeway that Lincoln St would be if cars didn't park haphazardly. It stands as a prime example of how parking on both sides works.

I trust that the traffic commission knows best practices in roadway design.

Ask the police and fire folks about driving on most Melrose streets.
The traffic "slowdown" might just cause the death of your loved one.

Think about how Grammy drives; about 25 mph. Now think about the parade of cars behind her, frustrated about what is holding up traffic. Meanwhile, all the cars are bunching up. Now imagine Granny doing something stupid like stopping suddenly for a squirrel crossing the street. I ask you how many injuries and property damage was just caused by Grammy?. Well the new 25 mph speed limit in Melrose (where not posted) is making us all grammy drivers and making us all a risk for others.

Great. All these changes and still no one has banned idiot women driving around town in three ton SUV's.

Grammy traffic
Think about how Grammy drives; about 25 mph. Now think about the parade of cars behind her, frustrated about what is holding up traffic. Meanwhile, all the cars are bunching up. Now imagine Granny doing something stupid like stopping suddenly for a squirrel crossing the street. I ask you how many injuries and property damage was just caused by Grammy?. Well the new 25 mph speed limit in Melrose (where not posted) is making us all grammy drivers and making us all a risk for others.

I would rather drive behind "granny" as you so meanly label older drivers than behind the milleniel parents and their spoiled children who drive way too fast..... while texting! And they park whenever and wherever it is "convenuent" for them....drivers don't seem to know that they should pull over and stop when a siren announces an emergency vehicle.....

Grammy traffic

I am all for 25 mph on side streets. These are residential areas and driving speeds of 30 to 35 is way too fast. Care should be taken to drive down these side streets as people are walking and crossing, animals such as pets, yes squirrels too. Slow down and care for others lives besides your own for a change. You can speed up when you get on the highway. Jees, if you are late for something then leave earlier. Slow down and RELAX!

Grammy traffic

I was driving the 25mph on Upham St and had such an irrate driver behind me. She was beeping, hands flaring, and riding on my bumper! I cannot imagine how Melrose especially Upham St will be affected by the numerous apartments going up on Route 1. I am sure there will be a lot of commuters traveling to Oak Grove. I don't think anyone will be able to go any faster than 25 because we will be sitting in traffic!

The idea that people should drive fast to avoid ticking off a honking lunatic is so backwards. Speed kills, not impatient drivers.

I'm also so sick of hearing about how the Highlands project has caused a safety issue. Once again, slow down and you won't hit anything! Take some responsibility for your actions. Car-car collisions are not the problem. You have airbags and crumple zones in your metal boxes. Ped and bike vs car collisions that case DEATH are what they are trying to prevent. No one cars about a side view mirror or other property damage in the grand scheme of roadway safety. Actually, some of you do care, but I guess that's the why you don't design roads.

Highlands area many houses up for sale because of the Roosevelt school is not performing well.

Again, I almost ripped off a woman's car door on Franlkin St. near Earnie's. She opened her door into the car lane just as I was passing by. I was able to swerve into the other lane to prevent another tragedy and was lucky there was no car coming from the other direction. Did We really need 10 foot wide sidewalks at the expense of safety Robbie??

The only way to fix the Highland's Rob, is to get rid of the principal at your elementary school fast.

I can't drive...Twenty-Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Fix Highlands mistake, Rob
Again, I almost ripped off a woman's car door on Franlkin St. near Earnie's. She opened her door into the car lane just as I was passing by. I was able to swerve into the other lane to prevent another tragedy and was lucky there was no car coming from the other direction. Did We really need 10 foot wide sidewalks at the expense of safety Robbie??

Such a tragedy when you have some damage done to your car. Tell that to the families of traffic fatalities. Once again, protecting humans is the goal.

No lie! Has the driving rule's changed? You can pass on the right and not the left or is it me. I think people are driving irresponsibly today.

The YMCA needs a lot of work to be done. This would bring more families to join. Is this a school issue or city?

Apparently it's an "Additional driving change?" issue.

Agreed Bruce, but to answer the person's question, I believe that the YMCA is an independent, charitable, non-profit organization, and therefore certainly not the City's responsibility.

"I was driving the 25mph on Upham St and had such an irrate driver behind me. She was beeping, hands flaring, and riding on my bumper! I cannot imagine how Melrose especially Upham St will be affected by the numerous apartments going up on Route 1. I am sure there will be a lot of commuters traveling to Oak Grove. I don't think anyone will be able to go any faster than 25 because we will be sitting in traffic!"

Sadly it's the Melrose a-holes who are giving the finger, refusing to yield to anyone trying to pull into or out of a Main Street parking spot, honking their horns and riding bumpers, right along with supporting crude, ignorant, elected and hired officials who give us all the finger routinely now with their so-called "leadership." Melrose has become one of the rudest, nastiest communities around, with spoiled, law-flaunting jerks at the top of the political system and their "trickle-down" horrible entitled and ill-informed attitudes and lack of conscience, let alone manners. So far, the newbies stepping up to run are right in line with this default sanctioned bad conduct. Cross into some of the other communities and instantly it's not so hard, generally, to get into a traffic lane when signaling, or out of a parking spot, or so many other things. It may seem subtle and unimportant, but it's a real thing. Melrose is just rude and crude now, just like it's "leaders"....

The best way to combat this is to just continue to be neighborly. When I moved to Boston for school and settled there for a few years later as a young professional, I didn't talk to any of my neighbors. It's sad to think the same could be happening in Melrose where the new people might not engage and build that sense of community. The existing/longtime residents need to step up and welcome these people. Teach them the "Melrose way", otherwise how else will they learn it?