Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
November 7 Election...

The Melrose Weekly would not run the following as an oped or letter -- or even as a PAID political ad. Very troubling to have such denial of access to the public. I ask all readers herein to consider the following for November 7. And refer such to family and friends. Thanks.

To Melrose taxpayers and voters…

The November 7 local election is another opportunity for the silent majority of Melrose taxpayers to speak their minds about the unfair financial burdens put on their shoulders by a majority of long-standing elected officials.

On November 7, two good votes from the silent majority -- and well beyond – are, first, Nancy Lewis in the Ward 6 alderman race. Second, any combination up to four choices, while omitting Kate Lipper-Garabedian in the alderman-at-large race.

Testament to those choices and that silent majority being heard loud and clear are the past two override votes resoundingly defeated by a wide 2-1 margin, while an overwhelming majority of the aldermen and Mayor Dolan stood in unified support. All the while, we now have over 1,335 former and current city and school employees with full-time health insurance at over $18,000.00 in direct taxpayer cost of over 11 million dollars; some recipients are former and current aldermen. Not to mention all city-side employees are now eligible for a life pension after just 10 years service, thanks to an April 2, 2012, aldermanic vote put forth by Dolan. Many receive part-time wages for full-time benefits.

All while more non-related wages and benefits are quietly put in the Water and Sewer Enterprise Fund by Dolan, now over 14 million dollars, resulting in taxpayer water bills 50 percent higher than the state average. Yes, taxpayers are paying for wages and benefits unrelated to water and sewer use.

No coincidence after that 2012 vote for life pensions, there was an internal review committee established for Dolan’s $99,896.00 salary. On February 4, 2013, the aldermen increased it by 25 percent to $125,000.00, beginning January 1, 2014.

That likely spurred another outcry by that silent majority when the unopposed Dolan received some 5,000 blank votes in the last local election two years ago.

Also no coincidence is the fact that Alderman Mortimer from Ward 6, figured out how to “retire” as an alderman in order to begin collecting his life pension for two meetings a month. Then he got himself reappointed by the Board of Aldermen as Ward 6 alderman, then ran twice for reelection unopposed. Mortimer gets the aldermanic salary and expense account and full-time health benefits as well as the life pension for an annual income of some $25,000.00. Last count, the consummate double-dipping Mortimer has been in office over 25 years and taken well over a half million taxpayer dollars for his two meetings a month.

On November 7, only three ward alderman races have opposition. The most important is Ward 6 where newcomer Nancy Lewis is running against Mortimer.

Throughout all these costly shenanigans, only Aldermen-at-Large Monica Medeiros and Donald Conn have attempted to stem the red-ink tide that is overwhelming the city budget. Neither takes the health benefit. And, yes, that silent majority has consistently put them first and second in recent elections.

On the November 7 ballot, there is another newcomer – well not exactly -- to city politics in Lipper-Garabedian. There are six candidates for four seats in this race, including Medeiros and Conn. Lipper-Garabedian, with behind-the-scenes support, was immediately appointed by Dolan to various city and school “leadership” positions after moving to Melrose less than two years ago. Lipper-Garabedian has a well-oiled and organized election committee. According to online and required election oversight agencies, Lipper-Garabedian’s local committee has directly contributed to high-profile state political-action committees. Why? And where does that money come from?

Lipper-Garabedian’s connections to Dolan and state political committees give her biased access to Melrose election data for social media manipulation as well as subtle control over any information she sends to the uninformed or worse, misinformed voter. Not to mention becoming another rubber stamp on the Board of Alderman while collecting full-time benefits and a future life pension after 10 years for two meetings a month -- while climbing the political ladder.

On November 7, all three incumbents are stepping down from their school committee seats, meaning half the school committee will be new faces. What does that say about our school system’s management and the committee’s lack of contribution to our kids, parents and taxpayers --with Dolan a sitting member?

Dolan is not up for reelection, given the city charter change to a four-year mayoral term.

Something and some things have to change in Melrose.

Bob Snow is Co-host of MMTV’s Matters of Interest.

Re: November 7 Election...

Why would it be troubling that a local community newspaper wouldn't allow a non resident and non taxpayer to weigh in on local election? Snow hasn't paid so much as a utility bill in Melrose in years, never mind pay taxes or maintain a residence.

What about Nancy Lewis? Who is she? What are her qualifications, and why didn't she show up for the candidate forum. What do you know about her that makes her so great. Is it just because she agrees with you or because she doesn't know enough about Melrose politics to even have her own opinion. I agree with some of your statements about Melrose politics but that doesn't mean we should just accept any idiot. Who's the other last minute guy? These last minute entries in the race make me very uncomfortable. Just because someone is new to Melrose and politics and has a "background in finance" doesn't mean they are qualified. I've seen people who are bookkeepers or office managers say they have a "background in finance."

Is your talk about the "silent majority" just code for republican? If so, what's wrong with saying that? These last minute people as well as some of the other entrants seem to be hiding who they are and what their views are on Melrose issues. Lots of Trump supporters suddenly calling themselves "non-partisan" when they supported Trump very publicly in the past and are tight with MM and DC. What's up with that? By the way, what a terrible disappointment MM has been. She shouldn't be an alderman much less the mayor spot she is aiming for. Now she has brought in all these other people who won't even own up to being republican or even knowing her. Funny how some of them seem to have scrubbed their social media clean from around the time of the election and are suddenly acting like newcomers when they have been involved with mm, trump and the state repub committee for ages. If you like trump and what he stands for, say it. Sounds to me like the same ol', same ol'. Just another side lying and waiting to exploit Melrose.

I don't live in Melrose any more either, but I was born there, lived the majority of my life there, and worked for the City for over 30 years. Melrose is my home town, and always will be, and as such I still have an interest in what goes on there. I find the argument that people who no longer live in Melrose cannot have any comment or opinion about Melrose matters insulting.

Personally, I find the state of affairs in Melrose today very disturbing. The schools, the water/sewer debacle, the lack of civility, boondoggles like the "learning commons" and the ridiculous override - Melrose is now a community that has completely lost it's way, and I'm torn about it. The City no longer has it's hands in my pockets, and I'm really glad about that, but because Melrose is my home town, I still care about what happens there.

What happened to you? How have you allowed this to happen? You should be ashamed.

Generally I would agree you don't need to live here to comment. But when like Mr. Snow you post, write, rant all the time while throwing bombs which seem baseless most of the time, and do it in a condescending manner, people don't want to hear it. He has no skin in the game. Plus, people who don't live here are not necessarily the best informed. When has he met this Nancy Lewis or the others? Why is he endorsing this person? People who live here now know more about what Is going on with their neighbors. All of these "old melrose was so great" people have a lot of resentment to people who moved in yesterday or even 30 years ago even. It's not about keeping Melrose the same to current residents and that's what the loudest and most obnoxious out of towners whine about. Then you look up where they live and they don't even live here. They moved years ago to New Hampshire or wherever and basically want Melrose to stay like it was in their minds from years ago. They want to dictate to current residents. That's why people who live here now get annoyed by others who haven't lived here and know not much about how things really are but who are full of -- or hot air.

Okay, but I didn't do any of those things. All I did was point out that in my opinion, the changes in Melrose have not been an improvement and as a townie that saddens me. It's not about what Melrose used to be - it's about what happens there now. I didn't try to blame anyone, even though there's plenty of blame to go around. I asked a simple question - how have you allowed this to happen?

They were talking about Bob Snow, not you. But you trying to shame people who live here isn't going to help. We need answers not someone else pointing out it is bad. The ones who know things are bad don't need you to tell them. The ones who don't think it is bad, aren't going to change their opinion because you say so on an anonymous board. This thread was started by Bob Snow. Why don't you try saying something of substance. And you are blaming the people who live here now. Do you know anything about Nancy Lewis or the other new candidates? Do tell. You are just making this about you. Get over it.

The Truth Hurts

Anyone who says Snow's statements about Melrose are "baseless" is a "let's attack the messenger" technique.
As a former longtime resident of Melrose and MMTV host, he knows where the bodies are buried and public concern should focus. You will seldom, if ever, read any rebuttal from the Administration or a BOA member about his revelations.

Re: The Truth Hurts

So Candidate opposing FW in Ward 3 aka Village Voice or Town Crier why don't you answer the questions? Why is your twitter account scrubbed around the election? You were trumping for Trump. Why are you calling yourself non-partisan all of a sudden? Are you denying there is a slate of republican candidates trying to paint themselves as new comers to politics but really recruited by MM and AS?

Double dipping 😳

Never had a Twitter or Facebook account. Twitter is for those who have little to say in as few words as possible.
Didn't vote for Trump or Clinton. We deserved better.

Not baffled
But you trying to shame people who live here isn't going to help. We need answers not someone else pointing out it is bad. And you are blaming the people who live here now. Do you know anything about Nancy Lewis or the other new candidates? You are just making this about you. Get over it.

Who else should I be blaming? The people living there now are the ones who continue to vote for the officials responsible for the mess in which you find yourselves, and should be ashamed of what they've allowed to happen.

No, I don't know anything about Nancy Lewis other than what I read, except that she grew up across the street from my Grandmother, and in the same ward I grew up in, but the fact that she's running against Mortimer, he of the GIC/pension debacle, makes me want to know more. I know a lot more about McAndrew, who has already clearly demonstrated she's in the Mayor's pocket. Remember the failed override, where she proved conclusively she was willing to spout any nonsense and distortion to try to get it passed?

How am I making this about me? Other than a historic connection, I have no dog in the hunt. I can't vote there. That doesn't stop me from being appalled at how current residents allow this to continue. Perhaps it's you who needs to get over it.

Go back and read the posts above. You ended up where I started. Sheesh. What does Lewis stand for and why didn't she show up to the forum? She can't even face Mortimer? If someone can't even show up, they can't be that serious about leading. Aldermen have to show up for a ton of meetings. Blindly voting against the incumbent is stupid. See where the protest vote has lead us nationally. PM is not perfect by any means but he is better than an uninterested plant.

I suspect she is just a body MM and AS (from the state republican committee) got at the last minute to bolster their Trumpian views. Same with the other last minute entry I am guessing. MM, JD, CH were out stumping for Trump and still support that liar and traitor. JD claiming she is non-partisan suddenly when she is going door to door is a lie. Right out of the starting gate. Don't think it will be any different if she wins.

MM and DC will top the ticket at #1and 2 respectively.
Newcomer KL-G will also win and come in third.
Either MB or MZ will win at #4 and the other will lose at #5.
MA will be the other loser at #6.

The taxpayers in Melrose have paid the stipend to Peter Mortimer
long enough.

What a disgrace his underhanded scheme was and is.

wildfire
long enough.

Can someone explain this to me. Why didn’t the city stop it ?

Curious
wildfire
long enough.

Can someone explain this to me. Why didn’t the city stop it ?

Dolan, Dolan and more Dolan.

Additional Candidate

Actually, four ward Alderman, not three, have opposition. Julie DeLillo is a late entry and running for Ward 3 Alderman against Alderman Wright. She was the leader of the Melrose Taxpayer Alliance which has saved Melrose taxpayers thousands of dollars when the $2.25 million override was defeated in 2015 by a 68-32 percent margin. A "results-oriented" would be a welcome addition to the BOA.

Re: Additional Candidate

The Town Crier
Actually, four ward Alderman, not three, have opposition. Julie DeLillo is a late entry and running for Ward 3 Alderman against Alderman Wright. She was the leader of the Melrose Taxpayer Alliance which has saved Melrose taxpayers thousands of dollars when the $2.25 million override was defeated in 2015 by a 68-32 percent margin. A "results-oriented" would be a welcome addition to the BOA.

DeLillo is lying about her record when she calls herself nonpartisan. She was and is a Trump supporter. Her and Monica Medeiros are huge Trump supporters and on the extreme right. Plus, she did not defeat the override herself nor did the Taxpayer Alliance on its own. She seems to be taking all the credit when she doesn't deserve it. Christian Hashem is also on the extreme right in addition to being under 21. Askenazy is also an extremist on the right. Monica Medeiros brought in Lewis and the other guy. A vote for any of those people is a vote for extremism. They try to hide it but look past their words to their record. Ask them where they stand on social issues. Ask them who they supported in the last election. Ask them what they think about rights for LGBTQ.

that was a little much resident, you just convinced me to vote for Julie

Im With You.Vote For Julie.So Sick Of Liberals in melrose...

Another vote for Julie here. Thanks Resident!

Julie also spoke before the BOA against Melrose being declared a Sanctuary City. Her opponent, Alderman Wright,
was in favor of it.

If you support liar JD and the others, you were probably going to vote for her anyway just like you voted for Trump. You obviously don't mind electing liars to public office, but others who read this board won't. They have standards and integrity unlike you. She also spoke against the formation of the women's committee for crying out loud. If not being a Trump idiot makes me a liberal, I'm proud of it. I don't believe FOX news or the Russians who played to your selfish, narrow-minded, racist selves and tricked you into electing the biggest traitor and unpatriotic con man ever. Watch him go down in the coming weeks. Everyone around him is dirty and they played and continue to play you as the fools you are.

Sounds like Frank and the Melrose Dems are nervous. His attendance record should be considered when voting next Tuesday.He misses 1/3 of the meetings and often misses votes on important issues.

Liar?

"If you like the plan you have, you can keep it. If you like the doctor you have, you can keep your doctor, too. The only change you’ll see are falling costs as our reforms take hold."

Enough said.

[:))][:))][:))][:))]

Re: Fox News

Fox News was home to eight of the top 10 cable news shows for the month of October, both in total viewers and among adults 25-54. (TV Newser). Obviously meant for adults.

Informed Predictions
MM and DC will top the ticket at #1and 2 respectively.
Newcomer KL-G will also win and come in third.
Either MB or MZ will win at #4 and the other will lose at #5.
MA will be the other loser at #6.

It could be very interesting if newcomers (all favored) Manisha, Kate and Julie win and join Jennifer, Monica and Gail, then the majority of the Melrose BOA would be women.

Final, the paraprofessionals got to vote for officers. Most building reps. had their union members vote 2xs a day, morning and lunch. Other building reps. did not inform the paras they even had to vote on Wednesday, the early release day. Good luck, hope it's all fresh new officers to bring the union back together.

staff
Final, the paraprofessionals got to vote for officers. Most building reps. had their union members vote 2xs a day, morning and lunch. Other building reps. did not inform the paras they even had to vote on Wednesday, the early release day. Good luck, hope it's all fresh new officers to bring the union back together.

Typical.

If the local newspapers did not ape the Board of Alderman in being so docile about city government, we would not need Bob Snow.

I've lived in Melrose for over 25 years. I lean progressive, and for many years I thought of Bob Snow and others (the late Susan Kelleher) as something like Barbara Anderson wannabe-cranks. I felt the city's long-time GOP machine, which met regularly at Caruso's and then Paul's, ran the city into the ground and aided and abetted a certain cozy level of corruption (mostly by making sure scandals were not well aired), and welcomed the likes of Dolan. I am no tiny-government no-property-taxes crank.

But Dolan has in some measure become what he reviled. He's been in office too long, and the time-servers (and their wannabes: I am looking at you, Mr Zwirko, very disappointed in how you've put on a fascimile of good government earnestness but have substantially turned into a lap dog for the establishment) on the BOA roll over and play dead for him. When confronted, they whine about this being a strong-mayor city, and they have no real power. They've never fully illuminated the city government culture failures over the cemetery scandal (which was broader and deepr than what was reported in the news), and the local papers have zero appetite to even to *appear* to dig deeper.

The newspapers do themselves no favors trying to silence someone like Bob Snow on the pretexts they have done. It's shameful, and reflects badly on the papers, not Bob Snow. It makes me MUCH more distrustful of the bona fides of the papers.

To the local papers: be journalists, not lap dogs.

To the BOA: if you're going to anoint yourselves "City Councillors" and, worse still, try to remove voters' rights to approve changes to the city charter (an issue that neither local paper has seen fit to notice in the proposed charter changes, but that should be of first-rate importance to anyone concerned about good government), then act like adversarial councillors vis-a-vis the Mayor, the way the city councils of *real* cities do. Otherwise, leave the BOA. You have no business being time-servers any more.

To the Mayor: after this election, please announce you will not be seeking re-election (and don't presume to anoint a successor in substantive terms - really take a fiduciary disinterest in the matter - if you think this city is as well run as you say, then you should demonstrate trust in the voters of the city to take the matter into their own hands, but if you so much as put a thumb on the scales of a successor, you will thereby be proving that the city is not as well run as you say it is).

One can hope.

Concerned Melrosian

But Dolan has in some measure become what he reviled. He's been in office too long, and the time-servers (and their wannabes: I am looking at you, Mr Zwirko, very disappointed in how you've put on a fascimile of good government earnestness but have substantially turned into a lap dog for the establishment) on the BOA roll over and play dead for him. When confronted, they whine about this being a strong-mayor city, and they have no real power. They've never fully illuminated the city government culture failures over the cemetery scandal (which was broader and deepr than what was reported in the news), and the local papers have zero appetite to even to *appear* to dig deeper.

What an annoying, sycophantic, and useless drip Zwirko has turned out to be. Hate to sound to much like Trump, but... Total Loser!

His stupid Trick or Treating picture showed up on my Facebook feed from the 1980's in a lame sponsored post. When you can't run on substance, remind them that you once Trick or Treated as a kid. What a joke!

He is desperate to keep this job so his wife can keep her do-nothing 80k per year gig at city hall. How this isn't treated as a "bribed" official on the BOA, I will never know.

The best thing about Manisha and Kate running at large this year might be the fact that Zwirko will lose. His entitled a$$ will be out on the street and 2 women will take his place to hopefully provide some thoughtful insight on how to help Melrosians.

How many SC need to get elected?

HA HA HA This crowd needs to stop handicapping elections. What a beat down.