Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Latest Margolis Insurance Con We Pay For

[8-)] Mel the buzz word is "dupe"

All the realtors need to be is an Actor or Actress and most are. The city is so over crowded and the water bill is hurting residents, along with local business.[Expressionless]

Agreed, it has always amazed me how these multiple degree holding couples making 6 figures each don't know how stupid they are when they drop $800,000 and move to a community 7 miles from Boston. Come on, don't they know that the high school educated townies in Melrose know the truth and tell like it is on Melrose Messages? Imagine their ignorance, you can get a degree from an Ivy League school, go on to get your masters, get hired by the best firms in Boston...but they are so stupid when they decide to buy into Melrose. I don't get it. It is really that they just don't know how truly bad Melrose is. OML violations, paraprofessional scandals, evil dictator in the corner office, incompetent school committee. Its just terrible. Anonymous blogs should be mandatory viewing before any bank decides to finance a mortgage for a Melrose house. Pants on fire needs to sell to one of these morons right away before MM makes it big on the man stream news circuit.

It's not about being smarter than the transplants. The quality of most of the housing stock in Melrose and the land you get is worth no where near what is being paid right now. Worse than other towns. Even the die hard Melrose supporters must laugh when they see some of the asking prices. I blame that Boston magazine article for this. It is a fantastic time to sell.

The schools are OKAY. Not awful but not great. You can argue all day giving examples to show how good or bad they are but in the end how they serve the average student is adequate but not more than adequate. You really shouldn't move to Melrose FOR the schools.

The newcomers who want to ban plastic bags, have a million bike routes, and have lowered the speed limit on certain streets that didn't need it irk me. As does the Women's Commission. I am female and I think it's a step backwards since whatever issues they have should apply to all genders.

There are endless ideas being enacted to save us from ourselves. The kicker is that most of these good new ideas cost money. Money that I am expected to pay in some form.

It's not about being smarter but about being left alone and not being told what to do by some ill informed sanctimonious individual.

Pants on Fire
It's not about being smarter than the transplants. The quality of most of the housing stock in Melrose and the land you get is worth no where near what is being paid right now. Worse than other towns. Even the die hard Melrose supporters must laugh when they see some of the asking prices. I blame that Boston magazine article for this. It is a fantastic time to sell.

The schools are OKAY. Not awful but not great. You can argue all day giving examples to show how good or bad they are but in the end how they serve the average student is adequate but not more than adequate. You really shouldn't move to Melrose FOR the schools.

The newcomers who want to ban plastic bags, have a million bike routes, and have lowered the speed limit on certain streets that didn't need it irk me. As does the Women's Commission. I am female and I think it's a step backwards since whatever issues they have should apply to all genders.

There are endless ideas being enacted to save us from ourselves. The kicker is that most of these good new ideas cost money. Money that I am expected to pay in some form.

It's not about being smarter but about being left alone and not being told what to do by some ill informed sanctimonious individual.

Could not agree more. We are also putting up too many apartments and condos. We are bursting now! I will never ever vote for an override. I truly miss my old quiet quaint Melrose .

I hope the city will honor Mr Conn for his years of service to our city. Great guy!

Resident
Could not agree more. We are also putting up too many apartments and condos. We are bursting now! I will never ever vote for an override. I truly miss my old quiet quaint Melrose .

The population is down over 5,000 people from its peak. Melrose had graduating classes of 500+ in the 70s; now they're barely over 200. Private and charter schools are only partly to blame for that.

Plenty of room to welcome more residents. We've done it before and can certainly do it again.

M10
Resident

The population is down over 5,000 people from its peak. Melrose had graduating classes of 500+ in the 70s; now they're barely over 200. Private and charter schools are only partly to blame for that.

Plenty of room to welcome more residents. We've done it before and can certainly do it again.

In the 70s; more families were having more children. I do agree the public schools are failing with other schools to attend and less bullying.

I would like to take this moment to thank Mr. Conn for his great years of service.

I'm thanking Mr. Conn too.

Yes, families were much bigger here in the 70s. Loads of children were common. But walking was also common. Not every family had 2 or more cars. Many had one. Some had none & did errands with the grandparents.

So you had a house, 5 kids & 1 car. Now you have a condo which is one of many in the building & you & your partner have 2 cars. Congestion.

The days of Leave It To Beaver are over. No more 1 Mom 1 Dad families with Dad working and mom managing the household. No more days of 1 car in the driveway and streets wide open for the kids to play touch football, street hockey, etc. Gone are the days of 1 income that could buy that house and 1 car and support a family. Gone are the days of students respecting teachers and teachers not afraid to teach and discipline. Gone are they days of kids respecting adults and elderly and the adults acting like adults in front of the kids. Gone are the days where newly arrived immigrants try to conform with the existing society. It's chaos out there folks.

Those days of full-blown McCarthyism and Red Scare were just great. Men/priests/movie stars could rape children without concern that anyone would notice or care. (In Melrose they still can apparently, if the Y rapist is/was any indication.) The local repugs could gorge themselves and plot their next bullying moves at Caruso's without concern that anyone would hold them accountable or even care. They prided themselves on the building of a true dump (then and now), MHS, while other school districts cared enough to invest in quality for their community's children. That generation thought it was just fine to have the likes of Mateus "teaching" for decades in Melrose. Sure, kids could be ruled with a stiff hand (or worse) back then, and but no one incompetent or abusive gets fired in today's MPS, but rather is celebrated with self-concocted awards duly sanctioned by the sanctimonious and crooked SC. In fact the more incompetent and abusive, the better when it comes to the public schools. Attention to civil rights or social justice was only done for show, as is obviously still the case in Melrose. But at least the golf courses were and still are a number one priority, as is football, keeping Melrose great, after all. Kids don't have Yik-Yak for online bullying anymore, but they and their equally nasty parents can still count on the Melrose forces that be to look the other way at heinous abuse perpetrated by officials right in full view, all the while gathering for their quaint little fairs and Kumbaya vigils and hypocritical October Walks. Yeah, those out-of-control kids these days with all their costly "social-emotional" issues came out of nowhere, raised by all those upstanding boomers who understood what made a "True Melrosian" great.

WE are paying for that useless channel 3???

I wasn't aware of that. I'd like to save some $$$ on my cable bill

I can't think of the last time I saw anything relevant or from the last five years broadcast on that channel.

WOW!
WE are paying for that useless channel 3???

I wasn't aware of that. I'd like to save some $$$ on my cable bill

I can't think of the last time I saw anything relevant or from the last five years broadcast on that channel.
How much of the monthly cable bill goes to MMTV? It must be many hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Where does all the money get spent? Showing government meetings?