Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Speeding and Traffic

Concerned Melrosian
Then be prepared to be shocked.

Melrose in the Baby Boom was a younger city with a lot more children than it has now. Even now, the school census is within the band it's been moving within for the past decade or more, pace the bleatings of the more-money-for-schools crowd. Boston has grown more than Melrose, which makes sense because Melrose has even less land available (proportionally) for development. It's not like the new developments along the railroad tracks are 10 stories high with room for big families. Melrose has a lot of households with one or two people.
Well, I'm not shocked, not even a little. Because I believe I'm correct about this. And if I'm wrong, please prove me wrong with statistics so I can get this idea of over development out of my head. Drives me crazy to see southern melrose look more and more like northern malden. I know, I know "you're crazy, man!", am I though? You see some of the characters in that hurd / derby / berwick / wyoming area? The city has changed folks, LOTS for the better, but lots isn't all.

Those apartment complexes are not 10 stores, you're right, but they're atleast 4 or 5 and they're huge. Not to mention they're not done yet. Talking about buying up greenwood construction, the brick building where marty's furniture is. Those would even more complexes. I just wish more Melrososians would open their eyes instead of pretending we living in Pleasantville. Just because people don't want to admit something is happening doesn't mean it isn't.

As I'm sure you are aware, Melrose WAS North Malden, and even though eventually given a different name, has never really changed. Realistically we are still North Malden!

"they're huge"

Hardly.

And Wyoming Square hasn't changed that much since I moved here almost 30 years ago; it and the southernmost points of Melrose near the Malden line have always been more Malden-like, as you frame it.

Congested
Concerned Melrosian

Melrose in the Baby Boom was a younger city with a lot more children than it has now. Even now, the school census is within the band it\'s been moving within for the past decade or more, pace the bleatings of the more-money-for-schools crowd. Boston has grown more than Melrose, which makes sense because Melrose has even less land available (proportionally) for development. It\'s not like the new developments along the railroad tracks are 10 stories high with room for big families. Melrose has a lot of households with one or two people.
Well, I'm not shocked, not even a little. Because I believe I'm correct about this. And if I'm wrong, please prove me wrong with statistics so I can get this idea of over development out of my head. Drives me crazy to see southern melrose look more and more like northern malden. I know, I know "you're crazy, man!", am I though? You see some of the characters in that hurd / derby / berwick / wyoming area? The city has changed folks, LOTS for the better, but lots isn't all.

Those apartment complexes are not 10 stores, you're right, but they're atleast 4 or 5 and they're huge. Not to mention they're not done yet. Talking about buying up greenwood construction, the brick building where marty's furniture is. Those would even more complexes. I just wish more Melrososians would open their eyes instead of pretending we living in Pleasantville. Just because people don't want to admit something is happening doesn't mean it isn't.
My parents graduated in the 70s and they had over 500 in their graduating class. I graduated in the 2000s and had about 230 in my class. Class sizes over the last 20 years seem to be more or less stagnant. There went from being 10 elementary schools then to only 5 now (though two were rebuilt larger than they used to be).

Granted there are more cars now because car ownership is much cheaper than it used to be, but to claim that the city is now bursting at the seams with people is incorrect.

There was a class in the 70's with a graduating class over 600. The last class over 400 was the mid 80's. It got as low as under 220 10 years or so ago. Even with those large classes in the 70's and 80's Melrose still had more kids in the local catholic schools and St. Mary's as they do today. Gigantic Irish family's throughout town. 6 to 10 kids in a house was not unusual. Coolidge, Beebe, Franklin and Winthrop schools were all open as elementary schools. Kids were everywhere...and with all these kids most families had 1 car, a few with 2 cares. Hardly any kids in the City had cars of their own unless they worked and bought it themselves. The increase in traffic is all due to more cars per household. Melrose is congested, but trying getting through Wakefield on a Saturday...cars and construction everywhere in every city.

M10
Congested
Concerned Melrosian

Melrose in the Baby Boom was a younger city with a lot more children than it has now. Even now, the school census is within the band it\\\'s been moving within for the past decade or more, pace the bleatings of the more-money-for-schools crowd. Boston has grown more than Melrose, which makes sense because Melrose has even less land available (proportionally) for development. It\\\'s not like the new developments along the railroad tracks are 10 stories high with room for big families. Melrose has a lot of households with one or two people.
Well, I\'m not shocked, not even a little. Because I believe I\'m correct about this. And if I\'m wrong, please prove me wrong with statistics so I can get this idea of over development out of my head. Drives me crazy to see southern melrose look more and more like northern malden. I know, I know \"you\'re crazy, man!\", am I though? You see some of the characters in that hurd / derby / berwick / wyoming area? The city has changed folks, LOTS for the better, but lots isn\'t all.

Those apartment complexes are not 10 stores, you\'re right, but they\'re atleast 4 or 5 and they\'re huge. Not to mention they\'re not done yet. Talking about buying up greenwood construction, the brick building where marty\'s furniture is. Those would even more complexes. I just wish more Melrososians would open their eyes instead of pretending we living in Pleasantville. Just because people don\'t want to admit something is happening doesn\'t mean it isn\'t.
My parents graduated in the 70s and they had over 500 in their graduating class. I graduated in the 2000s and had about 230 in my class. Class sizes over the last 20 years seem to be more or less stagnant. There went from being 10 elementary schools then to only 5 now (though two were rebuilt larger than they used to be).

Granted there are more cars now because car ownership is much cheaper than it used to be, but to claim that the city is now bursting at the seams with people is incorrect.
I keep hearing about the 70's and the large classes. I know all this, I grew up here. But what you're failing to see is the difference in infrastructure in the city, that is what is making the difference. I never said it's the most populated Melrose has ever been, I said no way we are under 30,000. There are more homes, homes that have been made into multiple units, large apartment complexes and condos all over the city. As for the car talk, I don't think cars are more expensive (relatively speaking), I just remember only Dads having cars back in the day haha.

Population of Melrose
There was a class in the 70's with a graduating class over 600. The last class over 400 was the mid 80's. It got as low as under 220 10 years or so ago. Even with those large classes in the 70's and 80's Melrose still had more kids in the local catholic schools and St. Mary's as they do today. Gigantic Irish family's throughout town. 6 to 10 kids in a house was not unusual. Coolidge, Beebe, Franklin and Winthrop schools were all open as elementary schools. Kids were everywhere...and with all these kids most families had 1 car, a few with 2 cares. Hardly any kids in the City had cars of their own unless they worked and bought it themselves. The increase in traffic is all due to more cars per household. Melrose is congested, but trying getting through Wakefield on a Saturday...cars and construction everywhere in every city.
The largest class ever was 581 and that was in 1981 or 82. And as I said to the prior poster, I understand there were more kids years ago. I don't know if you have kids now, or the prior poster. But i do, and the kindergarten classes are HUGE again. To the point where they just had to add on and modify three schools. And its not going to end there, because eventually that kindergarten class will be first graders and then second graders and so on and so on. All these new/young couples that have moved here over the past 10 years are now having school aged kids and it is seriously showing. Also as I said to the previous poster, I don't think this is the most melrose has ever had, I think we are over 30,000 and rising.

Congested
Population of Melrose
There was a class in the 70\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s with a graduating class over 600. The last class over 400 was the mid 80\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s. It got as low as under 220 10 years or so ago. Even with those large classes in the 70\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s and 80\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Melrose still had more kids in the local catholic schools and St. Mary\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s as they do today. Gigantic Irish family\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s throughout town. 6 to 10 kids in a house was not unusual. Coolidge, Beebe, Franklin and Winthrop schools were all open as elementary schools. Kids were everywhere...and with all these kids most families had 1 car, a few with 2 cares. Hardly any kids in the City had cars of their own unless they worked and bought it themselves. The increase in traffic is all due to more cars per household. Melrose is congested, but trying getting through Wakefield on a Saturday...cars and construction everywhere in every city.
The largest class ever was 581 and that was in 1981 or 82. And as I said to the prior poster, I understand there were more kids years ago. I don\\\\\\\\\\\\'t know if you have kids now, or the prior poster. But i do, and the kindergarten classes are HUGE again. To the point where they just had to add on and modify three schools. And its not going to end there, because eventually that kindergarten class will be first graders and then second graders and so on and so on. All these new/young couples that have moved here over the past 10 years are now having school aged kids and it is seriously showing. Also as I said to the previous poster, I don\\\\\\\\\\\\'t think this is the most melrose has ever had, I think we are over 30,000 and rising.
The students will be housed everywhere including the franklin school. The city of melrose is all tapped out. Sell your house ASAP.

Liz
Congested
Population of Melrose
There was a class in the 70\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s with a graduating class over 600. The last class over 400 was the mid 80\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s. It got as low as under 220 10 years or so ago. Even with those large classes in the 70\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s and 80\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Melrose still had more kids in the local catholic schools and St. Mary\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s as they do today. Gigantic Irish family\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s throughout town. 6 to 10 kids in a house was not unusual. Coolidge, Beebe, Franklin and Winthrop schools were all open as elementary schools. Kids were everywhere...and with all these kids most families had 1 car, a few with 2 cares. Hardly any kids in the City had cars of their own unless they worked and bought it themselves. The increase in traffic is all due to more cars per household. Melrose is congested, but trying getting through Wakefield on a Saturday...cars and construction everywhere in every city.
The largest class ever was 581 and that was in 1981 or 82. And as I said to the prior poster, I understand there were more kids years ago. I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t know if you have kids now, or the prior poster. But i do, and the kindergarten classes are HUGE again. To the point where they just had to add on and modify three schools. And its not going to end there, because eventually that kindergarten class will be first graders and then second graders and so on and so on. All these new/young couples that have moved here over the past 10 years are now having school aged kids and it is seriously showing. Also as I said to the previous poster, I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t think this is the most melrose has ever had, I think we are over 30,000 and rising.
The students will be housed everywhere including the franklin school. The city of melrose is all tapped out. Sell your house ASAP.
With all of these young families moving here it will have to be the Beebe or the Franklin. Enough with this trailer BS.