Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Random Acts of Kindness

I've seen signs and stickers around supporting Melrose Random Acts of Kindness Day. The slogan, we are Kindness Warriors with a picture of a heart with what looks like a v-jay jay inside of it. How much did all this stuff cost and who paid for it? Who designed the image, paid for printing, passed out the signs and stickers, etc?? All in an effort for our desperately poor town to promote kindness? Nice idea, but a waste of city money and resources especially, if your town is so darn poor we desperately need an override. Irresponsible spending IMO.

Re: Random Acts of Kindness

Come on Man, if Monica Mederios a City Alderman was denied access to financial forecasts by PDR (as detailed in the Melrose Weekly News paper on November 9th) what makes you think residents are able to get credible information from the City regarding spending?

NO TRUST

It boils down to trust. If you trust the folks in charge of our $ and accept that those in charge have done a great job, you will vote yes on the Override. Or, if you wonder why the state of our finances are such a problem you will vote NO. With the same people in charge playing the same games and continuing to lie, we can’t trust them. Trust will decide the fate of the Override. It will fail again!

Re: NO TRUST

Trusr

It boils down to trust. If you trust the folks in charge of our $ and accept that those in charge have done a great job, you will vote yes on the Override. Or, if you wonder why the state of our finances are such a problem you will vote NO. With the same people in charge playing the same games and continuing to lie, we can’t trust them. Trust will decide the fate of the Override. It will fail again!
Well said. I don't trust them and will be voting NO!

Took me about 30 seconds of research to get the details.

From The Free Press:

“The cards, posters, and stickers were financed in large part by local supporter Stephanie Nelson, and other people have thrown their skills and resources behind the project too.

“Glenn Blackburn, a local artist, donated his time in creating the materials,” said Darwin. “Cathy Zinck, of the Amazing Grace Golf Tournament, gave us a small grant to offset the cost of reproduction. The rest, Stephanie [and I] paid for out of our own pockets, because we believe so strongly in the movement.”

Facts
Took me about 30 seconds of research to get the details.

From The Free Press:

“The cards, posters, and stickers were financed in large part by local supporter Stephanie Nelson, and other people have thrown their skills and resources behind the project too.

“Glenn Blackburn, a local artist, donated his time in creating the materials,” said Darwin. “Cathy Zinck, of the Amazing Grace Golf Tournament, gave us a small grant to offset the cost of reproduction. The rest, Stephanie [and I] paid for out of our own pockets, because we believe so strongly in the movement.”
I saw that too, but I don't believe that the City wasn't involved financially. How about the 10,000 given to the Melrose Education Foundation and the money spent every year on a publicist for the MPS. How about the way our Water and Sewer account is funding all kinds of things other than water and sewer?

Okay, so you’re calling the woman who organized it a liar. What a sad, cynical person you are.

There is zero reason to trust any financial dealings of this city government. "I saw that too, but I don't believe that the City wasn't involved financially. How about the 10,000 given to the Melrose Education Foundation and the money spent every year on a publicist for the MPS. How about the way our Water and Sewer account is funding all kinds of things other than water and sewer? " These are legitimate sentiments that reflect the views of many of us. It doesn't mean that the generous souls who contributed and made this one thing a kind reality, as it were, weren't good-hearted, well-intentioned community members. It just means that with all the lack of boundaries from Melrose City Hall (MEF, Emergency Fund, Enterprise Funds/Water&Sewer, etc.), there is zero reason to expect that city officials haven't muddied the ethical and legal boundaries even in this well-intentioned project. It is the city officials and those who support them so blindly that are indeed the cynical ones. It is patriotic and responsible to question those in charge of our government, especially when they have a proven track record of obfuscation, deceit, and outright illegal conduct, as Melrose city officials surely have.

This will be it for me. You can’t stay on topic and can’t be reasonable, so it’s really useless for me to keep trying.

The woman who started the kindness thing is a private citizen. It has nothing to do with city government. She gave a newspaper interview. She said it was funded privately. Where is your proof that the city contributed funds? You’re calling this woman a liar without proof. That’s slander.

Btw, aluminum foil is on sale this week at Shaw’s.

Facts
The woman who started the kindness thing is a private citizen. It has nothing to do with city government. She gave a newspaper interview. She said it was funded privately. Where is your proof that the city contributed funds? You’re calling this woman a liar without proof. That’s slander.

"I saw that too, but I don't believe that the City wasn't involved financially." That's not slander. For it to be slander, it would have to be stated as fact. That's clearly an opinion, and doesn't rise to the level of slander.

I lied, that wasn’t my last time, but this is. OK maybe not slander to imply that she is a liar, just jerky. And pathetic.

Was not the original poster, so please stop conflating the replies you don't like to be all one person. You ("Facts") aren't exactly reasonable or fact-based, looking at your obvious biases and lack of patience. Seems like you want to fall on some sword or another, defending the honor of a private citizen engaged in a benign-seeming thing, so have at it. There are lots bigger fish to fry. Seems like you're not the type to care when and where it counts, but maybe you are, in which case, thanks and good for you.

Kindness in the Workplace. When it comes to personal set backs, remember that people generally need three times the recovery time we think they do. Patience understanding count big time, more so the adults especially in the elementary, middle and high school need to show respect.