Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Take Off The Blinders

I will file complaint with state ethics commissions and forward the pictures to them. You can file the complaints online. Enough is enough!!

Informed Parent
I will file complaint with state ethics commissions and forward the pictures to them. You can file the complaints online. Enough is enough!!

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that your ethics complaint will be met with a derisive scoff, and then they'll move onto important issues, because this hardly seems illegal.

https://m.sfgate.com/nation/article/Teachers-can-picket-protest-on-school-district-12529916.php

Slightly different political context, obviously, but the free speech argument seems identical to me.

There are state laws against using public resources to campaign. Campaigning on school property by the teachers is using public resources

https://www.mass.gov/advisory/state-ethics-commission-advisory-11-1-public-employee-political-activity

FYI - I agree with you. Apparently we're having to deal with hijacking screen names now. That prior post was not mine.

Seriously?
FYI - I agree with you. Apparently we're having to deal with hijacking screen names now. That prior post was not mine.
Oh come off it. I didn't realize it was your screen name. It's hardly a unique and original one.

If you say so. It's just right there in front of you. Whatever.

Citizen observation
It is certainly their right to campaign for it. However, I think it is a conflict of interest and may violate state ethics rules when they are openly campaigning for an override using school resources by being on School grounds as students are being dropped off. Parents of other children felt bullied by this. You cannot use city resources to campaign for the override. Campaigning on school grounds before school is using city resources. There are several pictures of this and this should be forward to the appropriate state officials .Perhaps the city solicitor should comment on their behavior.
In looking at the picture in the Weekly News, the majority of them are on the sidewalk, which is not school property. It does appear though that there are eight of them in the driveway, which is school property. I don't honestly know if it's prohibited or not, but if it's not it ought to be.

Look at the pics from The YEvwebsite it shows a whole group of them directly in front of the school. This is school property and against state law. Look at the pics from dec 12

Parents who cannot afford more taxes may feel intimidated or bullied by teachers outside schools. This Override has already become poisonously divisive!