Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Using the College Students for Votes

It's pitiful that they have to stoop so low.

Saw something on the Taxpayers Alliance Facebook page about getting college students absentee ballots. But yeah, I’m sure it’s a conspiracy from the yes side. Carry on.

Disingenuous
There appears to be an effort to get the city\'s living away at college population to vote yes on the override. Obviously this is done to counter all the no votes that the last override received. To turn the numbers in the yes\' favor because so many people said no the last time.

I have a big problem with this. Of course students should be involved in the electoral system and vote as soon as they turn 18. My issue is the selectivity for this issue. There was little encouragement for this same population to vote in other elections. The statewide referendum questions would have been a good place to start because some of those questions truly have 2 sides and are open for debate.

This override is simply asking the college students to ask people to pay higher taxes when they themselves will not be affected by it at least for a few years. I am respectful of the legality of non property owners voting. This is targeting a population to get the result that the yes crowd wants. And only that. It\'s not about the college students.

It\'s disgusting.
Engagement of college students to exercise their right to vote happens in ALL elections; at a national, state and local level. It is outrageous that you would infer that ALL Melrose citizens should not be enrolled, engaged and actually exercise their right to vote on such a critical election for the City. This dumb argument is already being made in the Sam and Rob thread, feel free to lodge your ridiculous complaints there.

You can’t really believe this, right? “This override is simply asking the college students to ask people to pay higher taxes when they themselves will not be affected by it...”

So, really, what you are saying is that “landowners” are the ones that will pay these taxes, so they should be the only ones to vote? Nice platform. Unfortunately, you are about 200 years late for that argument. While you’re at it, why don’t you throw in the mix that this tax burden will really fall on the male breadwinners. Your buddy THE TRUTHSAYER is fighting that fight over in the WAKE UP GUYS thread.

“If ... an override passes, who will pay for for it? Mostly wage earners who are mostly male...” Again, nice platform.

Get a different slant.

I looked at the taxpayers alliance page this week and I didn't see anything about absentee ballots. It must be a new addition that came after the yes peoples idea of getting votes through college students.

The override is an important issue but to push this on college students who live away from home is manipulation. And the approach is dishonest. If the idea is to get more votes, then admit it. Hiding behind the guise of civic engagement is duplicitous and frankly like the rest of the grind to get people to agree to the override.

@Disenfranchisement, You can stop right there. The original post mentioned respecting the legality of non- property owners voting. It was suggested that focusing on getting more votes, I mean college students voting on this issue, is an obvious grab for votes more so than a sincere attempt to have young people involved in the electoral process.

Your pseudo high minded argument falls flat with me. You seem quite hostile as well. Maybe you need to visit the pot shop?

Posted on Monday at 7:02 pm on Taxpayer Alliance page. “They did it first so it has a different meaning,” is a weak argument. But seriously, carry on.

I never said it had a different meaning if it's on the TA page. I said I hadn't seen it.

Nothing wrong with getting college students to exercise their right to vote but knowing how most are indoctrinated into the leftist mentality, are being "encouraged" by the leftist leaders of the city to vote absentee, and seeing as it's safe to say that NONE of these students will be paying the tax bill on their homes, there is an obvious unethical overtone to all of it.
Not surprising as that is the left's way of doing things.
I wish it was limited to the property owners of the city. I don't think how much I pay in taxes should be decided by renters, most of whom will never pay taxes in this city, or college students, who themselves will never reap the benefits.
I have two college students in my home who will make the short trip home to vote no by the way. They are more concerned about Daddy and Mommy's financial situation than they are about the schools they already graduated from and made it through just fine despite past override fails and similar threats.

Also to all the obvious leftists in the city, no one cares about your thoughts or your posting of articles on Melrose sites telling us over and over what we've already heard. You're preaching to the choir. Nothing is going to change the minds of no voters.

No one is attacking people for reaching out to college students.

It is simply noted that this selective outreach is done to increase the number of yes votes. There is no other purpose for it.

The reason you don't see many administration supporters posting here is because every time they do try to pass on the administration's propaganda, they are totally and thoroughly debunked with facts they can't dispute.

The administration is scared to death of this site, both now, and in it's prior incarnation. Why else do you think Dolan banned access to it, a practice that continues to this day?

This is the only place where voters can get even a portion of the truth. They certainly can't get it from city officials, who continue to mislead, obfuscate, and outright lie about all things fiscal. Melrose is a house of cards. The sooner that house of cards collapses, the sooner we can get a mulligan and fix the mess we've allowed to happen.