Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top paid

Every year in January a list of the cities highest paid makes the front page of the newspaper. Did I miss it this year or was it not there? Are they hiding it this year ahead of the override so residents don’t see the high salaries, think they’re overpaid and therefor an override isn’t needed? Are they being sneaky?

Re: Top paid

Does the city own the newspapers? Is Gail spending her evenings in the basement of city hall with a printing press, cranking out the latest propaganda? Do the weekly city hall staff meetings include a mock up of the latest front page draft for editorial analysis??

Get a grip.

Well if the city doesn’t release the earnings of its employees then the newspaper can’t publish it can they? Idiot

It's public record. Statewide. Dummy.

Paranoia Paranoia
Does the city own the newspapers? Is Gail spending her evenings in the basement of city hall with a printing press, cranking out the latest propaganda? Do the weekly city hall staff meetings include a mock up of the latest front page draft for editorial analysis??

Get a grip.
Go get a grip yourself. Every town releases this information so that taxpayers have some oversight into spending. In Melrose one must beg or post a message on this site in order to get it done. This is a perfect example of why taxpayers in Melrose do not trust City Hall and why the override will fail again.

Filed A public records request for the top 300 employees for 2018. City wants to charge $100 to provide this info. Some communities already have this salary information. in an online database. Asked for a fee waiver because this info is in the public interest. However, they refused to waive the fees. State law allows the city at their option to charge up to $25 an hr to fill a public records request. Yes, Melrose is charging the maximum. Nothing like trying to prevent sunshine laws by charging fees. If the city really wanted to be transparent they would put out a listing of all the employees salaries.

Yes, Massachusetts for all of its good gummint talk is absolutely terrible about public records laws. It's one of the things that discourages critical municipal-level journalism outside the major cities, and it's precisely designed to do that.

Like the original poster said it has been done every January for the past few years at least. Why could possibly be different about this year?

Article in the melrose weekly news this week

Your agenda and your loyalties become clearer and clearer with every post you make. Crawl back under your rock.

You are correct that there are a few no voters who say pretty dumb things. That's going to be the case in any population. What you fail to mention is that that number is at least equaled, and probably surpassed by the stupid things said by yes proponents, and that doesn't even take into consideration the deliberate misleading - properly classified as lies - put forth by city officials and the majority of the most vehement yes supporters, of which you are one. Your deceptive use of half-truths is typical, and puts a point on why voters just don't believe either you, or the administration any more. Trust is earned.

"Don't much like taymore, but she's what we have." That's it? That's your response? Why don't you spend as much time and effort trying to get rid of her then and finding someone competent as you do trying to justify the bull spewed by the administration and the yes supporters? It's obvious from your comment that you realize she's a huge part of the problem.

This disjointed run-on sentence is an affront to the English language.

“What you fail to mention is that that number is at least equaled, and probably surpassed by the stupid things said by yes proponents, and that doesn't even take into consideration the deliberate misleading - properly classified as lies - put forth by city officials and the majority of the most vehement yes supporters, of which you are one.”

This kind of terrible sentence structure makes people think you’re stupid, and erodes any confidence the reader may have in your position.

Be better.

PS - If you’re wondering, I am not “Come on, man”.

I'm stupid? It's not a run-on, and it's not disjointed. Perhaps if your reading skills were a bit better, you'd know that. You must be a Melrose High graduate.

I have to agree. It's not a run on, and it's not at all disjointed. While it's long and complex it's properly constructed, and indicates the author is anything but stupid. Feel free to disagree with it's content if you like, but don't resort to insults simply because you couldn't comprehend that.

So here’s my thing after seeing the list. First, yes I wish I became a cop. Second, understanding that a lot of last years pay was do to retro pay, exactly how much of a raise did the cops get? It must have been a pretty decent amount. Im not anti-police, I think for the most part (I say that because a lot of times they split their time at details while getting fully paid) they earn and deserve their pay, but they were earning a decent wage before whatever their raise was. They didn’t need a large raise. Teachers on the other hand are offered what? A 1% yearly raise while earning half of what most of the police earn, a barely livable wage, without the opportunity to make more in overtime and details. If I were them I would hire whoever negotiates for the police union. We wonder then why the district has a hard time hiring and keeping good educators.

Cut The Crap
You are correct that there are a few no voters who say pretty dumb things. That's going to be the case in any population. What you fail to mention is that that number is at least equaled, and probably surpassed by the stupid things said by yes proponents, and that doesn't even take into consideration the deliberate misleading - properly classified as lies - put forth by city officials and the majority of the most vehement yes supporters, of which you are one. Your deceptive use of half-truths is typical, and puts a point on why voters just don't believe either you, or the administration any more. Trust is earned.

"Don't much like taymore, but she's what we have." That's it? That's your response? Why don't you spend as much time and effort trying to get rid of her then and finding someone competent as you do trying to justify the bull spewed by the administration and the yes supporters? It's obvious from your comment that you realize she's a huge part of the problem.
Cut The Crap, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this message board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Another one. Not only was the post by Cut The Crap not "insanely idiotic, rambling, and incoherent", it was quite clear and rational. Your response is the only irrational thing I read, and the viciousness of it reveals your character. Believe me, you're not fooling anyone, nor are you advancing your argument in any meaningful way. In truth, you are damaging it's credibility even more.

You have every right to challenge the city for their ugly attempt to scam/intimidate you with their $100 charge. Just file a public records complaint with the state. Watch how quickly the city will turn everything over at that point. They count on all of us being suckers. Good for you for seeking what is supposed to be publicly available information. Don't let these creeps win!

Just researched the Melrose Police Civil Service Eliagibility list. Surprised to see that #33 is Michael P. Zwirko.

? Mike Zwirko wants to be a cop? No way!

There is absolutely zero chance he will get a MPD job before this list expires. Notwithstanding being #33 is way down the list, there are three 402 preferences (killed/permanently injured line of duty) and three disabled Melrose veterans ahead of him.

He must have taken the test for fun. There is no way that lib could be a cop. I think he’s afraid of guns

Zwirko cares only about the schools and One Melrose. He has not led on anything related to the Public Safety Buildings fiasco. When the Override fails, maybe the BOA will get the message that people in Melrose want other problems solved in addition to the MPS.

Don't be deluded into thinking MZ is informed enough to "care about the schools." He is blinded by political ambition (and thus buys all the BS that is spun about the schools), so whatever native intelligence he has is squandered in his pursuit of political expedience. Like most of the Melrose officials, MZ also has no apparent humility, so he's not likely to be able to acknowledge where he needs to learn and all the wrong he has to unlearn if he wants to be credible. He has rendered himself at least as arrogant a fool as RD, and he's not as wily in knowing how to twist the truth. Melrose has quite a lineup of these a$$es (including the rookie females on both boards, who are equally obnoxious and willfully ignorant).

The rookie women politicians are equally ambitious. JL is rumored to be running for Brodeur’s Representative seat (when he becomes Mayor) which is why she is so cozy with him. SH is rumored to get JLB’s job when Brodeur becomes Mayor. MB is still learning the ropes and comes across brighter than GI but she is almost as inarticulate. By becoming “Appropriations Chair” Kate will actually be stopped in her questioning and won’t be able to push for transparency which is probably what GI, JL, PDR and Vanny want.

Just researched the Melrose Police Civil Service Eliagibility list. Surprised to see that #33 is Michael P. Zwirko.
What a grade A loser this guy is! Trying to be mayor, trying to be a cop. Wonder if his employer knows all the ways he is desperately trying to find another job. And of course all of them include being on the Melrose dole. Guarantee when all else fails, he’ll stick around on the board of aldermen long enough to get his lifetime pension and health care.

"Kate will actually be stopped in her questioning and won’t be able to push for transparency"

You've got to be kidding. She wants transparency about as much as RD wanted it, meaning the more that can get hidden and buried in process, the better. She is a wind-up doll for the fake Dem agenda in this sorry community. She is certainly well-schooled and well-heeled, but she is ignorant and arrogant in all the ways that count. She is just another social/political climber and carpetbagger, and she will be onto bigger things as soon as her political connections open up to allow that. Until then she will suck up and mouth the PC gibberish, while continuing to demonstrate contempt for those actually working for the community's greater good (like Gerry or Phil Taymor or any of the others who have the actual facts and are willing to state them).

I think Zwirko’s wife Use to work at City Hall. MZ has zero sham!.

taxpayer
Don't be deluded into thinking MZ is informed enough to "care about the schools." He is blinded by political ambition (and thus buys all the BS that is spun about the schools), so whatever native intelligence he has is squandered in his pursuit of political expedience. Like most of the Melrose officials, MZ also has no apparent humility, so he's not likely to be able to acknowledge where he needs to learn and all the wrong he has to unlearn if he wants to be credible. He has rendered himself at least as arrogant a fool as RD, and he's not as wily in knowing how to twist the truth. Melrose has quite a lineup of these a$$es (including the rookie females on both boards, who are equally obnoxious and willfully ignorant).
Well said. The politicians in this city think very highly of themselves. It doesn’t help that they are often referred to as “celebrity guests” when attending events in town. PB has a little man complex thinking he’s a big man. He’s an arrogant ass. MZ may not be arrogant but he loves getting credit, especially for getting rid of plastic bags. Just listen to him. All he does is repeat the same old leftist talking points. It’s lole come on man, you act like you’re intelligent, you can’t actually believe all this crap.

Nothing wrong with leftist ideas. Lots wrong with MZ and PB, too. PB (just call him The Hat) is such a pompous, useless, worthless nothing. But watch him pop up for every photo bombing opportunity, sometimes with his ridiculous hat as well.

If you think MZ is not arrogant, you haven’t had a conversation with him.

Ed O’C is a bombastic, arrogant blowhard. Says a lot about Melrose SC and MPS.

Has he finished aging his court ordered restitution?

The Felon

Ed O’C is a bombastic, arrogant blowhard. Says a lot about Melrose SC and MPS.

Two main contributors to the Override’s defeat will be “The Felon” and “Illegitimate Gail”.
Political timing is everything and April 2019 is not the time for an Override.

I find very little humility not only in Melrose politics but In the liberal population in general. Just read the MCG. The same people I know are liberals, are alway so quick to want to help. I’ll help! What can I do? I’m voting yes because I love everyone. I care about everyone. Everyone comes back with you’re so wonderful.
When I donate, clothes, money, toys whatever it may be, or help someone in need, I don’t tell a single soul let alone go on a public website to seeking praise. I’m not saying such is the case for al non-liberals, but I think liberals in general feel the need to brag to convince people that democrats are the more caring party.

The fIre and police who serve Melrose are excluded from caring otherwise they would have had new buildings years ago.

Bragging about a charitable action on a website is done for one reason only - to attempt to validate their own miserable existence and feel better about themselves. Aside from being totally phony it's also pitiful, isn't it?

Rose
I find very little humility not only in Melrose politics but In the liberal population in general. Just read the MCG. The same people I know are liberals, are alway so quick to want to help. I’ll help! What can I do? I’m voting yes because I love everyone. I care about everyone. Everyone comes back with you’re so wonderful.
When I donate, clothes, money, toys whatever it may be, or help someone in need, I don’t tell a single soul let alone go on a public website to seeking praise. I’m not saying such is the case for al non-liberals, but I think liberals in general feel the need to brag to convince people that democrats are the more caring party.
Well said. Agree 100%.