Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More Scare tactics

People’s finances are very uncertain. The most incompetent, unstable and vindictive “leader” of our country released his budget for the next fiscal year.
Cuts in Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Food Stamps, the EPA and the Education Departments will lose the most. The deficit will soar for another decade due to the irresponsible tax cuts benefiting the rich. Middle class folks need to conservative about their savings and spending. MUST vote NO.

Disgust
I have an elderly parent who lives in the Levi Gould house. They had a meeting with the residents to discuss the override vote. They told these senior citizens that if they didn’t vote for the override that they would lose the Milano center among other things. I am so disgusted at the way the democrats in the city are fear-mongering. Just disgusted in liberals in general. The lies, the deceit at all levels of government apparently. Like the college students, the residents of these buildings do not have to pay for the taxes and no it will not show up In their rent either. They are scaring them into voting for their override knowing they don’t have full support of property owners. My parents moved us here 52 years ago and I’ve never felt such a disdain for the city and how it’s run as I have over the last ten years. shortly after the democrats took over after 100 years of republicans. It wasn’t perfect by any means those 100 years but didn’t have the level of bull****ery it does now.
Illegitimate Gail had a Coffee this morning with seniors who live in senior housing. Set up by Eugenia Walsh’s Mother and Sam Hammar. GI “worked” for that dump Epoch with seniors for years after she was asked to leave her Nurse Manager’s position at Mel Wak. She should be sensitive to family concerns for the elderly and more caring of seniors.Proves she will throw anyone under the bus. She is such a phony. Already threw police and fire under the bus and now is actively throwing senior citizen’s under the bus. Pure Evil! One Melrose is a FARCE. Voting No! I am a Democrat and a Liberal. There are many of us who are voting NO including families on my street who have kids in the MPS.

Thank you, "Illegitimate Tactics"! We, also, are liberal democrats who are voting NO (and did last time). The idea that this is a Dem vs Repug issue is wrong. Those in the Melrose Dem Committee are a bunch of two-bit, self-serving phonies without any real philosophy, let alone integrity. They'll say or do anything as long as they keep their tight little bunch of frauds in business. They could just as easily be Republicans, except that, ironically in Melrose there are Rs who have actual integrity and care about the core issues in much the way that old-fashioned Dems and Republicans both used to care equally.

I wish the right-wingers who are writing to say why they are against the override would cut it out with their anti-"libtard" anti-dem mentality. They sound so Trumpian and undignified/ignorant. They are only hurting their point against the override (on which we happen to agree, along with a whole lot of other local issues about which we'd also probably agree for the most part!).

Many of the current fake Dems in Melrose now tend to be well-heeled (and often very spoiled) types who either arrived fairly recently or who had lots of help in buying into Melrose (lots of parents providing down payments and even the entire package for many of these families). Many have no idea what it means to have had to scrape every penny together to buy their home, cars, etc. They have zero empathy with those who might look affluent here but in fact are struggling to make ends meet. They are not happy with their large water/sewer bills, but they just figure the bills are legitimate and don't make a stink about it. They are unwilling to question the status quo, and they really seem to need to believe they are supporting their "One" community in this unthinking, unquestioning way. They have zero tolerance for those who have different beliefs (though they're they first to line up for the feelgood international dinners and celebrations. They shun and/or attack openly those they have been told to criticize and bully (also sounding and behaving in a very contemptuous, ignorant way).

There isn't much new in this current fear-tactics campaign. They did it all before, and it caused a lot of harm in the community, not because it failed but because of the flawed and fraudulent reasoning and because of the disgusting conduct of so many who are trying to cram this down our throats. Now they are demanding a lot more money and have beefed up the fake stats correspondingly.

Sadly, there might be reasons that we might want to sacrifice a little more each month (like for a new public safety building), and even for the schools if only we had any reason to trust that the bunch of weird freaks in charge would make better decisions and manage better. (And do they really think that having a SC Chair who is a convicted, disbarred felon is going to help their cause?!) Given the atrocious people on the school committee and throughout the administrative structure (that awful super and her two ignorant, foolish asst supers, none of whom can utter a grammatically viable sentence), along with the batch of thoroughly unqualified principals throughout the district, and a laughably unqualified business manager), there is zero reason to trust that appropriate decisions would be made. The scorn and contempt that the people in charge and running this campaign have for those who dare to question them is also reason enough to say no!

I tend to forget this is not a party issue because its democrats who constantly want to shove a big one up the asses of the middle class and it’s the democrats of the city who are pushing it. I do also personally know democrats voting against it and even a couple “trumpians” as you do lovingly refer to them, who are not.
I’ll bet my left *** that the senior center will not close should it not pasa, unless out of spite.

Neighbor
And yet...
Despite all your complaints about Gail, she was elected Alderman for your Ward. Clearly, the majority doesn’t share your opinion. Same for all the complaints about the “convicted felon running the School Committee.” He was elected and re-elected. Clearly, the majority doesn’t see his prior legal troubles as disqualifying. All the complaining and name calling in this small little message board and nothing is changing. Keep it up, suckers....
I don’t think she had an opponent most of the times. Nobody cared enough? Wasn’t enough issues? Who knows. The political climate was different for most of those years. I’ve lived in Ward 5 for 31 years, two different homes and she was my alderman for most of that time and I don’t remember her being visible. Like I said she expected more people (neighbors) to unapprecialtively do for her than she ever did for anyone.
Maya Angelou is famous for her wisdom.

Paraphrasing here. “People may forget what you did and people may forget what you said”. “But people will NEVER forget how you made them feel”.

How Gail made people feel will be a factor in the Override’s defeat. She rolled over for Dolan and the Planning Board every time. As a resident of Ward 5-1, we saw how Gail was rarely available, never followed up, lied and covered up for other incompetents on the City payroll. Gaffey’s gaffs and Gail’s go along to get along behaviors will certainly cost YES votes. If she were still Ward 5 Aldermen, we would be smoking weed during Little Sprouts pickup.

So....
So why didn’t you run instead of whining on an anonymous message board? Because you are in the minority, that is why. Complain all you want about the elected officials in town, but - unfortunately for you - they are ELECTED. You lose...good day, sir.

Why don’t you run? Typical go to line. Not everyone has the time, personality, money, etc to run for office. That’s why we elect people to represent us and unfortunately there isn’t always someone running who represents our views. That doesn’t mean we can just up and run. But this is America, and at least right now we do have the right to ****** moan, and complain if we do not like our elected official and hope that, if we personally can’t step up, that someone else who can, will.

The only reason Gail got so many votes is because she was the only one running. Most people will fill it in on such a case. I think that 117 did leave it blank is very telling.

Folks! As someone who has kept up with school issues for the past 18 years - don't be crazy enough to buy into the phony override request!

You can learn more in the coming weeks. The Melrose Taxpayers' Alliance will be educating you with accurate, factual information to help you make the right choice in the April 2nd election. This is an important vote, so be sure and make your decision based on facts, not fiction! Visit Our new Melrose Taxpayers' Alliance website: www.melrosetaxpayers.com and follow us on Facebook to learn more https://www.facebook.com/melrosetaxpayers/

We will be working hard to reach out to all of our neighbors. If you have questions or would like to get more involved, please email us at MelroseTaxpayers@gmail.com.

As someone who often gave GI ‘s sons ride to school, to and from sporting games, I will say that there was never reciprocation, never a thanks. That’s the kind of woman she is. Yea you would see her blowing her bugle on LL opening day and think, how wonderful, but who someone is when nobody’s looking is what really matters.

37 year resident here and I’m not voting for this override. The democrats have been in charge for almost 20 years now. Let them eat ****. I’m not handing them money to bail them out. If people didn’t vote based on their concern for transgenders and which bathroom the can use they’d realize democrats can not run things. My $129,000 house is paid off. If and when I decide to sell and get $650,000 instead of $750,000 because Melrose is no longer the most desirable, I don’t care. I wasn’t stupid enough to pay $60000 over asking.

People forget (if they were around at the time and are still here) how narrowly the 1992 override (for the Tot Lot takings fiasco - another example of lifer insiderism (GOP flavor) and self-serving bad legal counsel) won. And that we are still paying that override long after the takings compensation was paid. Imagine if someone proposed an underride (the mostly forgotten part of Prop 2-1/2 - but there have been 10-20 of them in the Commonwealth, if memory serves).

Wrong
BO
Now the library and city hal employees are on the chopping block, at least hours cut. . None of the second floor employees are threatened though. How many assistants does GI have? How about the part-time aldermen getting full-time health insurance? Why isn’t that being threatened?
The mayor has one assistant. Aldermen don’t get health insurance anymore. This has been debunked so many times on this board already. Catch up please.
THE ALDERMAN VESTED STILL RECEIVE HEALTH INSURANCE!

Wrong
BO
Now the library and city hal employees are on the chopping block, at least hours cut. . None of the second floor employees are threatened though. How many assistants does GI have? How about the part-time aldermen getting full-time health insurance? Why isn’t that being threatened?
The mayor has one assistant. Aldermen don’t get health insurance anymore. This has been debunked so many times on this board already. Catch up please.
Jackie Bird
Brigit Alverson

Wrong is Wrong
Wrong
BO
Jackie Bird
Brigit Alverson
Brigid Alverson is an administrative assistant. And the only one. Jackie Bird is the Director of Community Services and City Operations. Not an assistant just because she happens to sit in the mayors office.

Still wrong
Wrong is Wrong
Wrong
BO
Jackie Bird
Brigit Alverson
Brigid Alverson is an administrative assistant. And the only one. Jackie Bird is the Director of Community Services and City Operations. Not an assistant just because she happens to sit in the mayors office.
Thanks for the facts. Keep these fools honest.

Trump Budget

People’s finances are very uncertain. The most incompetent, unstable and vindictive “leader” of our country released his budget for the next fiscal year.
Cuts in Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Food Stamps, the EPA and the Education Departments will lose the most. The deficit will soar for another decade due to the irresponsible tax cuts benefiting the rich. Middle class folks need to conservative about their savings and spending. MUST vote NO.
Two weeks until this override.APRIL 2 2019 AND the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. There is currently $1.46million in reserves in the water & sewer enterprise funds.

Vote Big No
Trump Budget

Two weeks until this override.APRIL 2 2019 AND the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. There is currently $1.46million in reserves in the water & sewer enterprise funds.
Who said anything about increases?