Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHO WILL SPEAK FOR THE HOMEOWNER?

The homeowner is the backbone of any community including Melrose. Too often, in my view, the homeowner is ignored, over-burdened or taken for granted by our politicians, school officials and city administrators. Whether it’s approving inappropriate large scale development projects, maximizing the number of pot shops in the city for cash, or weakening our zoning laws, the homeowner is always paying the bill either literally or figuratively with a declining quality of life. I have raised a family in Melrose and consider it an exceptional place to live. However, I have witnessed the growth of our elected and municipal officials’ hubris reaching a tipping point in the latest override campaign. City Hall’s position reflects a mentality of condescension that our elected and city officials know what is best for us regardless of what we think.

The threatening tone of Mayor Infurna’s State of the City address in support of the override contains a political ultimatum; either vote for the override or you will be punished. The city will allegedly take away the playing fields our children play sports on, the library will be closed and the flower pots on Main Street will be confiscated. The description of Melrose as a ghost town with broken windows, battered doors and vacant buildings is ridiculous. When I woke up the day following Mayor Infurna’s address, I thought I would be seeing tumble weeds blowing down Main Street in a post apocalyptical world. Does anyone really believe these Doomsday predictions? If the tax-hike and the school employees’ salary raises do not get approved, is it really the end of Melrose as we know it? Of course, it is not.

These are the same dire predictions made in 2003 and 2015 by override supporters which never materialized when those overrides were defeated. Melrose is a strong vibrant community that will survive and prosper with or without an override. Homeowners will pay another 2.5 %increase without any override next year as they loyally do every year to help shoulder the burden, but at some point you have to say enough is enough. An additional $5.18 million on top of the 2.5% increase is the point at which I say no and hopefully every other homeowner will say no as well on April 2nd. Send a message to our elected and city officials that we are not be taken for granted any more. Vote no.

Christopher J. Sullivan
Melrose, MA

Re: WHO WILL SPEAK FOR THE HOMEOWNER?

patch reader

The homeowner is the backbone of any community including Melrose. Too often, in my view, the homeowner is ignored, over-burdened or taken for granted by our politicians, school officials and city administrators. Whether it’s approving inappropriate large scale development projects, maximizing the number of pot shops in the city for cash, or weakening our zoning laws, the homeowner is always paying the bill either literally or figuratively with a declining quality of life. I have raised a family in Melrose and consider it an exceptional place to live. However, I have witnessed the growth of our elected and municipal officials’ hubris reaching a tipping point in the latest override campaign. City Hall’s position reflects a mentality of condescension that our elected and city officials know what is best for us regardless of what we think.

The threatening tone of Mayor Infurna’s State of the City address in support of the override contains a political ultimatum; either vote for the override or you will be punished. The city will allegedly take away the playing fields our children play sports on, the library will be closed and the flower pots on Main Street will be confiscated. The description of Melrose as a ghost town with broken windows, battered doors and vacant buildings is ridiculous. When I woke up the day following Mayor Infurna’s address, I thought I would be seeing tumble weeds blowing down Main Street in a post apocalyptical world. Does anyone really believe these Doomsday predictions? If the tax-hike and the school employees’ salary raises do not get approved, is it really the end of Melrose as we know it? Of course, it is not.

These are the same dire predictions made in 2003 and 2015 by override supporters which never materialized when those overrides were defeated. Melrose is a strong vibrant community that will survive and prosper with or without an override. Homeowners will pay another 2.5 %increase without any override next year as they loyally do every year to help shoulder the burden, but at some point you have to say enough is enough. An additional $5.18 million on top of the 2.5% increase is the point at which I say no and hopefully every other homeowner will say no as well on April 2nd. Send a message to our elected and city officials that we are not be taken for granted any more. Vote no.

Christopher J. Sullivan
Melrose, MA
I'm a homeowner. I feel pretty well spoken for by the people promoting the override and the pot shops, both of which I support.

Don't try to pretend that "homeowners" are some kind of silent, homogenous group.

I am a homeowner and I agree wholeheartedly with the original post, specifically the ever increasing tax burden, the over development and the smug knowing what's good for everyone.

No on the Override. It an expensive power trip.

I own a home too
I am a homeowner and I agree wholeheartedly with the original post, specifically the ever increasing tax burden, the over development and the smug knowing what's good for everyone.

No on the Override. It an expensive power trip.
Exactly. Homeowners are not homogenous as the OP suggested. Some of us support it. Some of us don't. He's not speaking for homeowners.

No on the Override.

Todd

No on the Override.
Cool that you're just reposting the same thing with a new name. Really subtle ploy.

GI was a horrible BOA rep for Ward 5.
You can’t believe a word that comes out of her mouth.
Our family is voting against the Override primarily because of Infurna!

In my neighborhood anyway, the yes/no signs are pretty closely aligned with the ages of the homeowners!

Spot on, Willie. It takes a lot to rile us old farts up, but maybe it's time we showed them exactly what we're capable of when people mess with us too much. They have no idea. Super entitled holier-than-thou little brats who don't care a whit about anyone but themselves.

I agree with the original poster. I see the correlation between those who want higher taxes with those with kids still in the schools. I never met a Democrat who didn't like a nice tax hike.

Nice to meet you Another Homeowner!
Now you have.