Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: If the Override Passes

Time will tell who is right.

So, in eleven days it will all be over,`cept the cryin` and movin` to Canada!
Hopefully we can all then suck it up, regardless of the outcome, and move forward without "toldyasos", to everyone's eventual benefit!
Once we get past the rhetoric, I think we can all agree that it's time for some changes to be made, and once this decision is behind us, we shouldn't just sit back and "wait til the next time"!

With all of the misinformation out there....one thing is for certain. More money taken out of the pockets of all property owners in Melrose will not solve the so called problems in Melrose. Taymore will still be a horrible administrator who has created a toxic working environment in Melrose schools. Melrose will continue to hire sub standard teachers, but at a higher pay rate. Teachers will still leave for better districts with better working environments, better pay, better benefits (like any other employee). Future incompetent mayors will still scream that they don't have enough money. There will be higher water rates, higher sports fees, higher everything else.
Still 2 NO votes here....

VOTE NO
With all of the misinformation out there....one thing is for certain. More money taken out of the pockets of all property owners in Melrose will not solve the so called problems in Melrose. Taymore will still be a horrible administrator who has created a toxic working environment in Melrose schools. Melrose will continue to hire sub standard teachers, but at a higher pay rate. Teachers will still leave for better districts with better working environments, better pay, better benefits (like any other employee). Future incompetent mayors will still scream that they don't have enough money. There will be higher water rates, higher sports fees, higher everything else.
I'm confused. If you hate everything so much, and have such a pessimistic view for the future, why do you want to stay?

For the record, I'm not saying you should leave. I'm just curious why, if Melrose is such a nightmare, you would want to live here?

Although I will be voting no, I'm not the poster VOTE NO. My answer to the above question is simply because I live here and raised a family here as my family raised me here. You have to reside somewhere. I like Melrose even if I don't like everything about it.

I don't like people moving here and immediately trying to take over, telling us long term residents that they know what's better for the city than we do. I definitely don't like when respect for what we can afford is belittled by those who secretly can't or don't want to pay for what I'm supposed to happily pay for.

I have tried to follow a path or fiscal responsibility in my life which means sacrifice. Many of these newcomers lease their phones, their cars, etc. Why? Because they want to live a lifestyle above their actual means. This currently includes extracting additional taxes from all home owners because they want what they can't afford themselves.

Last over ride vote was for 2.4 million now it's a demand over 5 million dollars? Has no one noticed that's a 100% increase in 3 years? This is nonsense.

Individual 1
VOTE NO
With all of the misinformation out there....one thing is for certain. More money taken out of the pockets of all property owners in Melrose will not solve the so called problems in Melrose. Taymore will still be a horrible administrator who has created a toxic working environment in Melrose schools. Melrose will continue to hire sub standard teachers, but at a higher pay rate. Teachers will still leave for better districts with better working environments, better pay, better benefits (like any other employee). Future incompetent mayors will still scream that they don\'t have enough money. There will be higher water rates, higher sports fees, higher everything else.
I'm confused. If you hate everything so much, and have such a pessimistic view for the future, why do you want to stay?

For the record, I'm not saying you should leave. I'm just curious why, if Melrose is such a nightmare, you would want to live here?
Why do I stay in a town that I have lived in for over 20 years? Just because I have a different opinion? My reasons for staying in this town are mine alone, and I would not discuss them on a public forum with a complete stranger.
I have been in this town long enough to see at least 2 override attempts crash and burn. Guess what? The city survived and prospered. When this override is defeated, I suspect the city will still survive and prosper.