Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
?!

It has been heard that the Melrose PTO has offered free pizza for any student who votes "Yes" on the override question. Putting aside how insulting and morally corrupt this position is, it is nice to know that votes can be 'bought' this easily. Down the road, when these children become adults, they'll be another extension of the "what's in it for me" crowd.
If this is 'offer' is indeed true, Instead of encouraging young adults to think freely and formulate their own decisions by listening and reading true information, you encourage and foster a behavior that shows just how easily it is to 'purchase' someone's vote. And that is the most disturbing thing, regardless of how the vote turns out.

Re: ?!

A piece of pizza for your vote
It has been heard that the Melrose PTO has offered free pizza for any student who votes "Yes" on the override question. Putting aside how insulting and morally corrupt this position is, it is nice to know that votes can be 'bought' this easily. Down the road, when these children become adults, they'll be another extension of the "what's in it for me" crowd.
If this is 'offer' is indeed true, Instead of encouraging young adults to think freely and formulate their own decisions by listening and reading true information, you encourage and foster a behavior that shows just how easily it is to 'purchase' someone's vote. And that is the most disturbing thing, regardless of how the vote turns out.
100% true. The PTO Vote Program is:

1) A slice of pizza before going in to vote Yes;
2) A PTO parent must observe you voting Yes;
3) Once you walk out after voting Yes the student gets a Kamikaze Shot and handjob/bean flick.

Yes is gonna crush the Nos.

Is this legal. I am absolutely ashamed of this PTO with their bribery. One Melrose you should be ashamed of yourselves! Omg I am sick to my stomach reading this Sorry voting NO. I was on the fence but this sealed the deal Where is the administration. 😢

I will be contacting the temporary Mayor and our police chief

Don't worry, the Melrose Taxpayers Association is countering with day-old Munchkins and Market Basket fruit punch.

It is illegal to stand over a person voting in the voting booth.
More so telling them how to vote!

The critical thinking skills on this message board are so lacking it’s almost hard to believe. You are doing a real public service pointing out their nonsense, Come On Man!

Again...who are you to judge whether or not someone's comment is true or not? Or should we trust you because you think you are a pillar of morality and civility? All sarcasm intended.

Here's the deal. While it would be stupid for the PTO to plan something like this, I would not dismiss it as a lie out of hand without verifiable information. Not for me to determine the validity of the post, however I would make an attempt to verify the information before I made a decision. But hey, that's me. My point is that if you think it is a lie, that is your opinion. Absence of information proving it is a lie makes it an opinion only. Calling someone a liar without proof is also an opinion only.

I don't know if the OP is spreading false information, overheard a member of the PTO saying something to this affect, or if it is just an opinion. Of course there is the fact that this board is completely anonymous, and people can say anything that they want (we have both seen this on this board, some so absurd they aren't worth commenting on)
Here's the real issue...everybody votes based on several factors. The wallet is one of the biggest factors. How a vote will impact them directly is another. I have made my decision, so have you. Therest is just entertainment

Well....if you were the original poster, then you have proven that you have zero credibility. And even less integrity

Forgot the 🤣🤣😁

Hassan Ben Sober
Don't worry, the Melrose Taxpayers Association is countering with day-old Munchkins and Market Basket fruit punch.
I'm a NO voter and this is still funny.

Hey everyone!
My name is Maribeth Darwin and I am the president of the Melrose High School PTO. A friend just pointed me to this string of comments and I thought it would be a good idea to clear up any confusion. I believe so strongly in civic responsibility and the kids I know are excited to vote. It is absolutely amazing to me how they've researched the direct impact of the override on MHS, and have learned the history of Proposition 2 1/2 and what overrides mean to a community. I will tell you what: I am so very proud of the next generation. They are amazing and educated and have registered to vote in record numbers. SO EXCITING!

To celebrate these well-educated voters, I plan to purchase a slice of pizza for any young voter who simply votes!
This is the exact text that I have shared in my weekly PTO email:
Michelle Carson and I will be at Comella’s on April 2nd to celebrate our young voters with free pizza slices. Tell your 18 to 21 year old voters to come on down between 6pm and 8pm with their I Voted sticker (available at every polling location in Melrose) and we will buy each young voter a slice. All young voters need to do is vote in the April 2nd election to get a slice on the house!
I sure do hope this helps with the confusion. I am confident that many of you know me and my commitment to the youth in our community. I hope that you realize the silliness in me ever buying a vote from anyone or morally corrupting any young citizen (or old citizen for that matter). If you'd like to chat about anything, please send me an email at maribeth.darwin@gmail.com. I don't plan on following the comments here, just wanted you to hear it from the source.

Best to all of you Melrosians! Get out there and vote, vote, vote!

Too bad they are getting fed only the information that One Melrose wants them to know. My high school student said the teachers keep saying vote yes. Not sure they are truly hearing all of the facts. Keep emphasizing well educated whatever helps you sleep at night. Yes everyone get out & Vote No!!

No
Too bad they are getting fed only the information that One Melrose wants them to know. My high school student said the teachers keep saying vote yes. Not sure they are truly hearing all of the facts. Keep emphasizing well educated whatever helps you sleep at night. Yes everyone get out & Vote No!!
I can’t believe this. The fact that grownups are bribing yes bribing kids to vote. I am 46 will they buy me a glass of wine if I show up with my sticker. I am sorry but this is so wrong. Voting NO and so happy I will do this on my own. You two should be ashamed of yourselves. It proves to me how desperate YES is If the NO committee did this all hell would break loose. Thank you Vote No for staying classy

No
I truly hope this is incorrect. Teachers to often instruct according to their views, which should not be the case. Teachers should be unbiased, yet bring forth differing views for healthy debate and the development of critical thinking.

Unfortunately it is very true!! My high schooler texted me during the school day. Honestly I’m sick & tired of teachers pushing their political views on my kids. My child knows that our family is voting No, we have had many discussions in our home about this. I think it actually made my child uncomfortable. Teachers are only pushing the narrative of One Melrose not giving all the facts of both sides just the one the city wants us to believe.

They are giving pizza regardless of your vote. It’s encouraging students to engage in the civic process.

In fact, the sticker itself is kind of a bribe.

We should want all our voices heard, whichever way you vote.

Why Be Anonymous
They are giving pizza regardless of your vote. It’s encouraging students to engage in the civic process.

In fact, the sticker itself is kind of a bribe.

We should want all our voices heard, whichever way you vote.
Sad that we have to give away free pizza to encourage civic, and Constitutional rights. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for the future

The researching the direct impact on the high school, the history of 2.5 and what an override means .... I am sure the kids learned a neutral version. /sarcasm.

The OP was correct. The pizza is a small bribe. The kids were registered and brainwashed but that won't mean anything unless they get in the booth. Get in the booth. Get some pizza.

No one is going to blatantly say that they are bribing anyone.

She is perky, chipper and phoney as heck.

All the mudslinging is on the yes side... 🙄

Come On Man certainly doesn’t need me to defend him. But really? How does this in any way substantiate the ridiculous claim that kids are being bribed to vote yes??

How?
Come On Man certainly doesn’t need me to defend him. But really? How does this in any way substantiate the ridiculous claim that kids are being bribed to vote yes??

The part of the OP that I was replying about was that it wasn't a false rumor of supplying pizza for voting - not the part about the actual intention to vote yes. My fault for not clarifying.

But one doesn't have to be a free thinker to come to the probability that possibly some teachers wouldn't be leaning students to the yes side of the debate.

You are correct! Pizza is ethical and the best food group. However, I prefer Petrone's....if that offer still stands for Petrone's....

Giving away pizza for voting is an area to tread carefully. It's probably OK for municipal or state elections, but for a Federal election, providing anything of value in return for voting is clearly illegal - 52 U.S. Code § 10307(c) - "...or pays or offers to pay or accepts payment either for registration to vote or for voting shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both..."

Thank you for clarifying the pizza issue. I originally thought it was a pizza if you voted yes. My post was a rant, but I do have a problem with rewarding these kids just for voting. This is a major issue nowadays. Reward the kids for something they should be doing. I still think this is so wrong What has happened in this town is just so sad. Melrose will never be the same. Winchester and Reading did not reward the students with pizza or anything else. I thought Melrose had more class than they actually do. If I had a student at MHS I would make sure they did not go collect their pizza reward

Rewarding those that you indoctrinated to vote the way you pushed them to vote is just a continuation of the original immorality. No surprise there.

No ethics here
Rewarding those that you indoctrinated to vote the way you pushed them to vote is just a continuation of the original immorality. No surprise there.
So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019 .Vote NO ON APRIL 2 2019

Yep
A piece of pizza for your vote
It has been heard that the Melrose PTO has offered free pizza for any student who votes \"Yes\" on the override question. Putting aside how insulting and morally corrupt this position is, it is nice to know that votes can be \'bought\' this easily. Down the road, when these children become adults, they\'ll be another extension of the \"what\'s in it for me\" crowd.
If this is \'offer\' is indeed true, Instead of encouraging young adults to think freely and formulate their own decisions by listening and reading true information, you encourage and foster a behavior that shows just how easily it is to \'purchase\' someone\'s vote. And that is the most disturbing thing, regardless of how the vote turns out.
100% true. The PTO Vote Program is:

1) A slice of pizza before going in to vote Yes;
2) A PTO parent must observe you voting Yes;
3) Once you walk out after voting Yes the student gets a Kamikaze Shot and handjob/bean flick.

Yes is gonna crush the Nos.

18 y/o from MHS. They’re still doing the kamikaze shots and handjobs, right?

Well, the hj has to be administered by OM. Double up on the kamikase shot.

April 2 2019 Tuesday .
No ethics here
So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019 .Vote NO ON APRIL 2 2019
You know it!!!