Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vote yes for police and fire

Compensation for Melrose fire and police are below what they deserve.
Continue to underpay them and we'll get what we deserve.

Please vote yes to get started fixing this.

Dolan's override attempt was soundly defeated because he didn't specify what the money would be used for. This year's override is highly specific to the schools. But both of them fill the same bucket. Money that belongs to police and fire will continue to be redirected to schools until the city starts to get enough revenue to keep up with the state minimum legal school mandate without raiding the other departments.

Don't fall for the all-taxes-are-bad-taxes spew.

Re: Vote yes for police and fire

I suppose that if one person believes you and votes yes because of it, it was worth your time to type out this balderdash!

Nice try deflecting the real issue regarding Fire and Police. Override WILL NOT pay to build Fire and Police Stations. This Override is for the schools. “Trump” tactics employed by One Melrose are pushing at all costs to get $ for Schools Only. As stated on other strings today, the Public Safety Buildings must be “BONDED” separately. A male leader of One Melrose” told me that if the “fire and police sink this Override we will make f...ing sure they don’t ever get a dime”. One Melrose and One Community Open to All is rhetorical bull. We are Voting No on the Override! VOTE NO, too.

Let me take a WAG (that's a wild a$$ed guess for you non-military types) that the name of the person who said that might have been McLaughlin. Right out of the Dolan playbook.

As far as I know the police and fire have wisely remained silent about this override, unlike the teachers, who have been anything but, even though for the most part they have total contempt for the City administration as a whole, having been the target of so many of Dolan's outrageous accusations and so much of the City's neglect in the past. I can't say I blame them.

Nice Try
Nice try deflecting the real issue regarding Fire and Police. Override WILL NOT pay to build Fire and Police Stations. This Override is for the schools. “Trump” tactics employed by One Melrose are pushing at all costs to get $ for Schools Only. As stated on other strings today, the Public Safety Buildings must be “BONDED” separately. A male leader of One Melrose” told me that if the “fire and police sink this Override we will make f...ing sure they don’t ever get a dime”. One Melrose and One Community Open to All is rhetorical bull. We are Voting No on the Override! VOTE NO, too.
The poster very clearly stated that they were talking about police and fire pay. They literally said nothing about the stations. You're fighting against an argument no one is making.

We all know that new buildings are paid for with bonds.

Anonymous quotes presented by an anonymous poster aren't particularly credible.

The Health and Safety issue the deplorable buildings and old equipment pose is the issue which needs megabucks.
Salary compensation is the least of the Public Safety personnel’s concerns.
They are working in unsafe environments and their mental and physical Heath is at risk.
Voting NO on any new taxes until buildings are funded. Voting No tomorrow.

Nice Try
“A male leader of One Melrose” told me that if the “fire and police sink this Override we will make f...ing sure they don’t ever get a dime”.”

That didn’t happen.

It happened and was said in front of me and another person.

Sad but True

It happened and was said in front of me and another person.
I believe you. These override supporters are nasty and selfish. I have heard in person and read online some horrifying statements from these self described liberals.

There is no evidence that the fire fighters and police will be better compensated if the override passes. It's dishonest to float the idea. Disgraceful and dishonest.

This yes group will say anything to get this passed. There will be disappointment if it does because some of the sheep will wake up and realize they were lied to.

Guys, you're not paying attention.
It's really quite specific.
Here's the city budget in the case of an override failure:

Cut $138,000 from Melrose Police Department:

* Eliminate staff position: School resource officer at MVMMS (*)
* Eliminate staff position: Detective Position (*)
* Eliminate staff position: Drug task force officer (*)
* Eliminate staff position: 1 Full-time police officer
* Eliminate police details for community events (memorial day parade, etc.)
(*) For the first three, officers would be reassigned back to patrol - reducing overtime costs. The fourth would be a straight cut.

If you're not familiar with how police get paid here in Massachusetts, let me enlighten you: Overtime matters, and is part of the compensation you plan your life around.

If you're really concerned about the mental and physical health of police officers (see comment higher up) don't cut overtime pay by voting 'no'.

Support police by voting yes.