Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One Melrose

So on the One Melrose Facebook states vote early or you will be getting a call from us ? How will they know who has voted ? Where will they get this info? This is concerning. Voting is PRIVATE. Could someone chime in please

Re: One Melrose

Baffled by One Melrose Post
So on the One Melrose Facebook states vote early or you will be getting a call from us ? How will they know who has voted ? Where will they get this info? This is concerning. Voting is PRIVATE. Could someone chime in please
I'm not a one Melrose rep or volunteer, so I don't know for sure. But based on communications from them, here's how I think it works.

In their canvasing/outreach, they have a list of people who have committed to voting yes over the past few weeks. I am On that list. I got an email this morning from one of their volunteers I am friends with reminding me to get out to vote, and to text a number when I was done saying that I had voted yes. My guess would be that this is how they'll be tracking who has voted and who hasn't. If you don't text, they'll give you a reminder call later in the day.

I can't imagine that reps from either side would be given access to the voter roles. But I'm not an election lawyer, so I don't know that for sure.

But there's one explanation for how they'd do that without committing some kind of illegal activity. Let's not jump right to "election fraud" every time.

Ahhh thank you ! Makes sense now

Yeah, because that's what people want; to be hounded while leaving the polling place...

Just remember, if anyone sees anything that isn't right (legal) just take out your handy mobile device and snap a picture or video. Also, you are obligated to tell ANYONE how you are or have voted.
Now....make sure you get to the polls before they close at 8pm!

Think it's the text thing. As said above. If you don't text, you get an encouraging call. Not election fraud or illegal but highly invasive.

Update: it sounds like they are having election observers at the polls (fully legal) keeping track of who has voted (again, fully legal) and are coordinating that information back to the one Melrose office so one Melrose volunteers can check that information against their database and start calling people who haven't made it to the polls.

Also, because I know how many people on this board like conspiracy theories, this is all fully legal. Observing and keeping track of who has voted is fine.
That is public information - they are not tracking how you voted in any way, shape, or form. http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/legalsum.htm?fbclid=IwAR36qMMfu9v2Cg6wQEgIge7aqZlViUgxINILX3GoK_1dUksThqdrdCr1a40

Individual 1
Update: it sounds like they are having election observers at the polls (fully legal) keeping track of who has voted (again, fully legal) and are coordinating that information back to the one Melrose office so one Melrose volunteers can check that information against their database and start calling people who haven't made it to the polls.

Also, because I know how many people on this board like conspiracy theories, this is all fully legal. Observing and keeping track of who has voted is fine.
That is public information - they are not tracking how you voted in any way, shape, or form. http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/legalsum.htm?fbclid=IwAR36qMMfu9v2Cg6wQEgIge7aqZlViUgxINILX3GoK_1dUksThqdrdCr1a40
A legal form of harassment...isnt life grand🤣🤣

Individual 1

Maybe legal but it's crazy, excessive & if I were a supporter, I would feel strong armed.

When one Melrose knocked on my door I listened politely. Then they asked if I supported their position. When I told them it was between myself, a piece of paper and a pen, the look I got was priceless.😁🤣

Ahhhhh, so that’s who those two women with clipboards sitting behind the “checkout table”, listening to my name and address were. I was wondering. Thanks!

All said and done. Congrats to One Melrose.
In retrospect looking at the One Melrose campaign, and city officials it is clear that the main talking point throughout the campaign was that Melrose does not spend as much as our neighboring towns and cities. Forget outcomes. Forget that Melrose teachers are paid on a step basis and a fair number of them are relatively new. Forget that surrounding communities have greater median incomes and home values. Forget that elderly home owners will be negatively impact. After all...we are all One Melrose (sarcasm)
Most One Melrose supporters will tell you that they want Melrose to be inclusive to all....if and only if everybody buys into their program. Their campaign showed otherwise. In reality they couldn't afford to live in Reading, Winchester, ect. so they are trying to make Melrose exclusive.
In the end we all have something in common....we will all be writing larger checks to the city of Melrose. Good job!