Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It’s OVER. A BLOW Out

Passes by over 1K votes.

Re: It’s OVER. A BLOW Out

I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who "can't" afford this override.

Resilts
Passes by over 1K votes.
Where are these blowout numbers

VOTE NO
Resilts
Passes by over 1K votes.
One Melrose site. I'm sure you could check MTA's site but they actually would've had to have run a campaign and had people out there checking polling location results as they were printed. They were just happy to take your money and reuse their old signs.

Movement of Jah People
VOTE NO
Resilts
Passes by over 1K votes.
One Melrose site. I'm sure you could check MTA's site but they actually would've had to have run a campaign and had people out there checking polling location results as they were printed. They were just happy to take your money and reuse their old signs.
Good. It's over....now we will not have to wait long for the next dire financial situation...spurred by the incompetent leadership in city hall and the schools. But hey, the teachers are going to get a big raise, while the students will see little or no impact from the increased spending. But hey, it's not their money

yes. some of us are concerned about affording the increase in taxes. the likely increase in water bills, increase in tuition at ecc, increase in ed stations tuition. I don't understand why this is a foreign concept to some of you folks? please explain where the endless amounts of cash come from. It will be interesting to see what the fine leaders do with the increase in funds. I pray its not the same old same old. I do hope we see big changes for our kids educational experiences.

worried
yes. some of us are concerned about affording the increase in taxes. the likely increase in water bills, increase in tuition at ecc, increase in ed stations tuition. I don't understand why this is a foreign concept to some of you folks? please explain where the endless amounts of cash come from. It will be interesting to see what the fine leaders do with the increase in funds. I pray its not the same old same old. I do hope we see big changes for our kids educational experiences.
What they are going to do with the money was spelled out in the actual language of the ballot question that you voted on today. Bother to even check it out before committing pen to paper?

Movement of Jah People
I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who "can't" afford this override.
Do you think it’s a joke. You think people lie when then they say they don’t have $700 extra a year plus what the water bills are going to go up? Must be nice to have that kind of money that you think everyone does.
Can someone give me the actual percentage of teachers who own property in the city. They had teachers pushing for this, but if those same teachers own here their entire raise will be going towards taxes and water increase so explain the point. And all those students they tried to persuade to vote yes. How many of them will come out of college owing student loans and ever be able to afford to live here while competing with those who can almost afford Cambridge but not quite. No Melrose you blew it.

Sorry not rich
Movement of Jah People
I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who \"can\'t\" afford this override.
Do you think it’s a joke. You think people lie when then they say they don’t have $700 extra a year plus what the water bills are going to go up? Must be nice to have that kind of money that you think everyone does.
Can someone give me the actual percentage of teachers who own property in the city. They had teachers pushing for this, but if those same teachers own here their entire raise will be going towards taxes and water increase so explain the point. And all those students they tried to persuade to vote yes. How many of them will come out of college owing student loans and ever be able to afford to live here while competing with those who can almost afford Cambridge but not quite. No Melrose you blew it.
I would be willing to bet that most teachers in Melrose do not own property in Melrose. One of the biggest components of the override was to pay for teacher and administration raises...of course they said it was retention...hahaha
Every home owner should hold the school system accountable, and expect better outcomes for the students. Sub standard teachers should be relieved and replaced with component educators. The Taymore should be replaced.

I saw a yes signs in the window of Giacamos. Do the wonders of Giacamos live in the city? I don’t think so. So push for a vote for your patrons taxes to go up kind of shooting yourself in the foot. Less money to spend out. I know I will spend as little money as possible in Melrose now. No more restaurants here, no shopping, nothing. The city takes enough of my money.

Giacamos.
I saw a yes signs in the window of Giacamos. Do the wonders of Giacamos live in the city? I don’t think so. So push for a vote for your patrons taxes to go up kind of shooting yourself in the foot. Less money to spend out. I know I will spend as little money as possible in Melrose now. No more restaurants here, no shopping, nothing. The city takes enough of my money.
yes. the owners of giacomos live in Melrose and have children that I believe attend Melrose public schools.

Reading Comprehension
worried
yes. some of us are concerned about affording the increase in taxes. the likely increase in water bills, increase in tuition at ecc, increase in ed stations tuition. I don\'t understand why this is a foreign concept to some of you folks? please explain where the endless amounts of cash come from. It will be interesting to see what the fine leaders do with the increase in funds. I pray its not the same old same old. I do hope we see big changes for our kids educational experiences.
What they are going to do with the money was spelled out in the actual language of the ballot question that you voted on today. Bother to even check it out before committing pen to paper?
yes reading comprehension, I did read the ballot and voted no. if you comprehended my message, I am asking where everyone is getting the money to pay for all these increases in Melrose taxes, bills and tuitions?

> "I saw a yes signs in the window of Giacamos."

Shrug. Supporting the city's ability to keep up with basic services seems like a reasonable business move.

Btw, you're talking to an empty room. 50 of the "people" posting here have clearly all been the same person. This forum would work a lot better for civilized discourse and honest debate if people posting were asked to put their real names in.

What's more interesting is children of voting age voting to increase their parents taxes.....๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Your neighbor
> "I saw a yes signs in the window of Giacamos."

Shrug. Supporting the city's ability to keep up with basic services seems like a reasonable business move.

Btw, you're talking to an empty room. 50 of the "people" posting here have clearly all been the same person. This forum would work a lot better for civilized discourse and honest debate if people posting were asked to put their real names in.
What a moronic statement...but then again, you don't seem to want to use your real name for civilized discourse๐Ÿ˜…

"worried", in my case (although of course the same people still won't believe it!) the answer to your question is, a reverse mortgage.

BTW....the Melrose community page on Facebook shutdown civilized discourse by people using their real names throughout this campaign by turning off comments. Typical of the administrators of that page who do not care about opinions but their own or others who agree with them. Typical hypocrites....and they are your neighbors

worried
Reading Comprehension
worried
yes. some of us are concerned about affording the increase in taxes. the likely increase in water bills, increase in tuition at ecc, increase in ed stations tuition. I don\\\'t understand why this is a foreign concept to some of you folks? please explain where the endless amounts of cash come from. It will be interesting to see what the fine leaders do with the increase in funds. I pray its not the same old same old. I do hope we see big changes for our kids educational experiences.
yes reading comprehension, I did read the ballot and voted no. if you comprehended my message, I am asking where everyone is getting the money to pay for all these increases in Melrose taxes, bills and tuitions?
You said "it will be interesting to see what the fine leaders do with the funds" as if it wasn't fully and transparently presented to you. My reading comprehension is obviously fine. Your memory might need some work though... It is quite selective.

Sorry not rich
Movement of Jah People
I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who \"can\'t\" afford this override.
Yes, I do think people lie when they say they don't have the ability to come up with 500-600 dollars annually. And if they aren't lying, they need to downsize. They would be honestly on the verge of bankruptcy if that were the case.

It is WHAT IT IS.

Movement of Jah People
Sorry not rich
Movement of Jah People
I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who \\\"can\\\'t\\\" afford this override.
Yes, I do think people lie when they say they don't have the ability to come up with 500-600 dollars annually. And if they aren't lying, they need to downsize. They would be honestly on the verge of bankruptcy if that were the case.
Many of these people have paid taxes, been involved in the community for years longer than most. And your moronic answer to them is to downsize and give them financial advice....what an over inflated sense of self worth.

You need a reality check and to get off your gd high horse.

VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
Sorry not rich
Movement of Jah People
I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who \\\\\\\"can\\\\\\\'t\\\\\\\" afford this override.
Yes, I do think people lie when they say they don\'t have the ability to come up with 500-600 dollars annually. And if they aren\'t lying, they need to downsize. They would be honestly on the verge of bankruptcy if that were the case.
Many of these people have paid taxes, been involved in the community for years longer than most. And your moronic answer to them is to downsize and give them financial advice....what an over inflated sense of self worth.
If you literally cannot come up with 600 dollars a year, you absolutely MUST do something about your financial situation. That is just a fact. If you have less than 50 dollars a month in discretionary income and the rest is all spent on necessary expenditures, you have a serious problem.

Either you can't see that or you just want to use these (mostly imaginary) people as props for a political argument. Either way, you know what that makes you

Movement of Jah People
VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
Sorry not rich
Movement of Jah People
I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" afford this override.
Yes, I do think people lie when they say they don\\\'t have the ability to come up with 500-600 dollars annually. And if they aren\\\'t lying, they need to downsize. They would be honestly on the verge of bankruptcy if that were the case.
If you literally cannot come up with 600 dollars a year, you absolutely MUST do something about your financial situation. That is just a fact. If you have less than 50 dollars a month in discretionary income a month and the rest is all spent on necessary expenditures, you have a serious problem.

Either you can't see that or you just want to use these (mostly imaginary) people as props for a political argument. Either way, you know what that makes you
Doubling down on the moronic statements. Most people would not want your financial advice, nor did they ask for it. Do you really think this is the end of the city burdening it's citizens with overrides, increased fees, and a relative lack of value for what they pay?

it is what it is.

VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
Sorry not rich
Movement of Jah People
I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" afford this override.
Yes, I do think people lie when they say they don\\\\\\\'t have the ability to come up with 500-600 dollars annually. And if they aren\\\\\\\'t lying, they need to downsize. They would be honestly on the verge of bankruptcy if that were the case.
If you literally cannot come up with 600 dollars a year, you absolutely MUST do something about your financial situation. That is just a fact. If you have less than 50 dollars a month in discretionary income a month and the rest is all spent on necessary expenditures, you have a serious problem.

Either you can\'t see that or you just want to use these (mostly imaginary) people as props for a political argument. Either way, you know what that makes you
Doubling down on the moronic statements. Most people would not want your financial advice, not did they ask for it. Do you really think this is the end of the city burdening it's citizens with overrides, increased fees, and a relative lack of value for what they pay?
Obviously costs will increase even if it due to inflation alone. You should assume 3 percent per year. That is your opinion regarding lack of value. Even more reason why you should prepare if you are a shoestring budget.

I can't see why you think the idea that someone who (in the theoretical case presented by dozens and dozens of posts on this message board) literally does not have the ability to free up 50 dollars in discretionary income needs to lower their cost of living is moronic. To think otherwise is the moronic opinion. The good news is is that these people don't exist and are made up to advance a political point by posters on the board.

If you do have the discretionary income to move from somewhere else to pay for your 600 annual property tax increase, then you just didn't want to. It was that you couldn't. Lots of couldn't on this board on the days leading up to the vote, not a lot of don't want to. Just noting.

Movement of Jah People
VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
Sorry not rich
Movement of Jah People
I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" afford this override.
Yes, I do think people lie when they say they don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have the ability to come up with 500-600 dollars annually. And if they aren\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t lying, they need to downsize. They would be honestly on the verge of bankruptcy if that were the case.

Either you can\\'t see that or you just want to use these (mostly imaginary) people as props for a political argument. Either way, you know what that makes you
Doubling down on the moronic statements. Most people would not want your financial advice, not did they ask for it. Do you really think this is the end of the city burdening it's citizens with overrides, increased fees, and a relative lack of value for what they pay?
Obviously costs will increase even if it due to inflation alone. You should assume 3 percent per year. That is your opinion regarding lack of value. Even more reason why you should prepare if you are a shoestring budget.

I can't see why you think the idea that someone who (in the theoretical case presented by dozens and dozens of posts on this message board) literally does not have the ability to free up 50 dollars in discretionary income needs to lower their cost of living is moronic. To think otherwise is the moronic opinion. The good news is is that these people don't exist and are made up to advance a political point by posters on the board.

If you do have the discretionary income to move from somewhere else to pay for your 600 annual property tax increase, then you just didn't want to. It was that you couldn't. Lots of couldn't on this board on the days leading up to the vote, not a lot of don't want to. Just noting.
If you had any grasp on reality, or knew a single mother, single father, or an elderly person on a fixed income you would realize how moronic your comments are. Because they are on a shoestring budget, they can't afford to live here? Maybe they should move? Maybe they should sell their home? Your comments are beyond disgusting. You are the new Melrose going forward? People have legitimate concerns. Maybe you should post on the MCG where you will feel right at home. BTW....starting on July, I will begin to pay for this ridiculous override. I am thankful my house is paid for, I was able to retire in my early fifties, sent children through the Melrose school system. BTW....nice to see the large turnout in voters...not happy that 28% of registered voters increased taxes for the other 72%๐Ÿ˜

I have to say that I am surprised by the result, but that's why we vote, so the majority of the people (or of the people who vote anyway) make the decision (except of course with the electoral system).
So, to the "yes" voters, who are still my good neighbors, I say, good organizing, good job, .......and good luck! :)

VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
Sorry not rich
Movement of Jah People
I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" afford this override.
Yes, I do think people lie when they say they don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have the ability to come up with 500-600 dollars annually. And if they aren\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t lying, they need to downsize. They would be honestly on the verge of bankruptcy if that were the case.

Either you can\\\\'t see that or you just want to use these (mostly imaginary) people as props for a political argument. Either way, you know what that makes you

If you had any grasp on reality, or knew a single mother, single father, or an elderly person on a fixed income you would realize how moronic your comments are. Because they are on a shoestring budget, they can't afford to live here? Maybe they should move? Maybe they should sell their home? Your comments are beyond disgusting. You are the new Melrose going forward? People have legitimate concerns. Maybe you should post on the MCG where you will feel right at home. BTW....starting on July, I will begin to pay for this ridiculous override. I am thankful my house is paid for, I was able to retire in my early fifties, sent children through the Melrose school system. BTW....nice to see the large turnout in voters...not happy that 28% of registered voters increased taxed for the other 72%๐Ÿ˜
Ending it here. You have the gall to just trot out tropes like "single mother" and "elderly on fixed income". I bet you couldn't find me a single one that couldn't move discretionary purchases around to make up 50 per month living in Melrose. And if you did find one, I would tell them the exact same things I posted here. That they need to get their fixed expenses down one way or another. Even just to prevent against inflation alone.

Also, my personal bet would be that a majority of single mothers supported this override considering they have kids in the schools.

Movement of Jah People
VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
VOTE NO
Movement of Jah People
Sorry not rich
Movement of Jah People
I guess we can expect the immediate mass Exodus of all of the posters on here and on FB who \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" afford this override.
Yes, I do think people lie when they say they don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have the ability to come up with 500-600 dollars annually. And if they aren\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t lying, they need to downsize. They would be honestly on the verge of bankruptcy if that were the case.

Either you can\\\\\\\\\'t see that or you just want to use these (mostly imaginary) people as props for a political argument. Either way, you know what that makes you
Doubling down on the moronic statements. Most people would not want your financial advice, not did they ask for it. Do you really think this is the end of the city burdening it\'s citizens with overrides, increased fees, and a relative lack of value for what they pay?

I can\'t see why you think the idea that someone who (in the theoretical case presented by dozens and dozens of posts on this message board) literally does not have the ability to free up 50 dollars in discretionary income needs to lower their cost of living is moronic. To think otherwise is the moronic opinion. The good news is is that these people don\'t exist and are made up to advance a political point by posters on the board.

If you do have the discretionary income to move from somewhere else to pay for your 600 annual property tax increase, then you just didn\'t want to. It was that you couldn\'t. Lots of couldn\'t on this board on the days leading up to the vote, not a lot of don\'t want to. Just noting.
If you had any grasp on reality, or knew a single mother, single father, or an elderly person on a fixed income you would realize how moronic your comments are. Because they are on a shoestring budget, they can\'t afford to live here? Maybe they should move? Maybe they should sell their home? Your comments are beyond disgusting. You are the new Melrose going forward? People have legitimate concerns. Maybe you should post on the MCG where you will feel right at home. BTW....starting on July, I will begin to pay for this ridiculous override. I am thankful my house is paid for, I was able to retire in my early fifties, sent children through the Melrose school system. BTW....nice to see the large turnout in voters...not happy that 28% of registered voters increased taxed for the other 72%๐Ÿ˜
Ending it here. You have the gall to just trot out tropes like "single mother" and "elderly on fixed income". I bet you couldn't find me a single one that couldn't move discretionary purchases around to make up 50 per month living in Melrose. And if you did find one, I would tell them the exact same things I posted here. That they need to get their fixed expenses down one way or another. Even just to prevent against inflation alone.

Also, my personal bet would be that a majority of single mothers supported this override considering they have kids in the schools.
Actually I know people in all the groups I mentioned. All are worried. Why should someone have to "move around" their free cash just to pay taxes? Again, another moronic statement by someone who is obviously oblivious to the challenges other face. One Melrose? Sure...if you can afford it๐Ÿ˜…

That's what it was, a 28% turnout? And here I just "praised the system". I'm sorry people, but that turnout on this issue, sucks!

Willie
That's what it was, a 28% turnout? And here I just "praised the system". I'm sorry people, but that turnout on this issue, sucks!
No....turnout from what I believe was 40-50% of registered voters...which is approximately 21,000. 6000 yes votes means approximately 27-28% of registered voters increased taxes for most

Oh, ok, my bad, thanks for clarifying!

I’m disgusted at what this election has brought out in this city. I can’t believe there are people so out of touch with reality they think everyone does or should have extra money to spare and it they don’t well they’ll have to sacrifice something. I’m disgusted at the yes voters who tried to shame people for “not caring about the children” or their city. Well you got what you wished for. Officials are pushing their staples button right now saying that was easy. I guarantee in three years they’ll be saying they need another.

Disappointed
I’m disgusted at what this election has brought out in this city. I can’t believe there are people so out of touch with reality they think everyone does or should have extra money to spare and it they don’t well they’ll have to sacrifice something. I’m disgusted at the yes voters who tried to shame people for “not caring about the children” or their city. Well you got what you wished for. Officials are pushing their staples button right now saying that was easy. I guarantee in three years they’ll be saying they need another.
First we will see ever increasing city and school spending forcing another override "for the children". In the mean time, there will be bonds for the police and fire. Roads and infrastructure will continue to degrade, even with additional funds. If Melrose was a for profit company it would have failed years ago. Oh, and just wait for the teacher contract....

For every action there is an equal or opposite reaction.

While I've never understood why people would say "Yay! Let's pay MORE taxes!!", here we are. It will be interesting to see the final financial reports of both sides, because that will tell a lot, if anyone would still be interested. Win or lose, it's always important to see what transpires financially, in other words, follow the money.

Wasn't exactly a "blowout", but tomAto - tomato. The only precinct that the No side won was Peter Mortimer's. I wonder how long it will be before he's replaced...

How insensitive of you. But this is what Melrose is. An INDEPENDANT, financially responsible organization doing the best with what they received, and you belittle it with these statements...
There's nothing worse than a sore winner...have some respect and class.

Rediculous
How insensitive of you. But this is what Melrose is. An INDEPENDANT, financially responsible organization doing the best with what they received, and you belittle it with these statements...
There's nothing worse than a sore winner...have some respect and class.

The average Melrose home owner now has a tax burden of approx. $600/month. Add in water, sewer and trash pickup, closer to $800/month. If you are retired, or at the average income of 90k in Melrose, this is a concern. The proponents of the override largely ignored this, and some suggested going without something else, moving, and other insensitive and disrespectful comments. Yes....this is the city we now live in

or "lived in", which some will still apparently not believe. We're just "made up" senior citizens!

Oldie
or "lived in", which some will still apparently not believe. We're just "made up" senior citizens!
The "senior citizen" make believe comments were almost comical if they weren't so hateful and pathetic. Unfortunately, the country treats senior citizens poorly and Melrose is no different

I understand, so just lie about it, and go away! OK
You’re right, I can’t belive that Social Security sends me this much of my money back every month. I’m running out of things to spend it on!

TCB
Oldie
or \"lived in\", which some will still apparently not believe. We\'re just \"made up\" senior citizens!
No one is said you are "made up", Oldie. They are saying that you can actually afford the override but would rather not. People not being able to afford the override is what is being called "made up". You and the MTA folks just need to say you don't want to rather than can't and it won't be an issue.
Amazing how out of touch some people are. Melrose is such a utopia of wealthy people....how dare someone say that every penny counts in their personal budget....but hey, at least the city has an open well brimming with new tax revenue, and peasants who are willing to hand it over to them....because after all :its for the children" HAHAHAHA

Lost in the I can't afford it argument is the degree of can't afford it. $558 spread out quarterly is approx $140. It's possible this amount could push you over the brink.

But not the way the jerks who don't care about you think. You probably will get behind on your taxes owing the city the interest money which starts accruing the day after payment is due. You might put something you would have paid cash for on your credit card so you can pay your tax bill. You will definitely have to go without something. Even if the something is sort of optional, small pleasures are part of living.

When they bring up how the money is a cup of coffee a day. If you can afford a cup of coffee out a day, and many can't, that might be the only thing you do for yourself all day. The people telling you it's only a cup of coffee most likely have a number of things they could cut out of their day before getting to one final thing.

The discussion is how much are you willing to sacrifice for the override? Going in to debt? No. Losing the one thing I do for myself? No. But now that it's passed, that's what I have to do. It sucks because I do not believe all that money was needed.