Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Name change to city council

I am surprised there has been ZERO talk about this topic, which has now been voted on 3 times in 3 years. Every time this came to a vote --- a female member of the BOA voted against the name change (GI, MBMM, and MM) - this vote was he exception. Last night, several BOA members that previously voted against the change (JT, BB, MM) switched their stance.

The Appropriations Committee vote last night was 10-1 with Alderman Forbes being the lone NO vote. I actually thought his option to adopt the City of Woburn's government structure of a city council with individual Aldermen and his proposal of Alderwomen made sense. It was disheartening to watch that no other member of the BOA wanted to consider this scenario, since 9 members co-sponsored the order to make this change.

I know it is an election year --- and there is more pressure than ever take a stance on the issues. Surprised to see previous NO's change to a YES. I appreciate Alderman Forbes for standing his ground and offering a compromise that actually worked for people on both sides of the issue. It is never easy to be the lone vote - so I give him credit for that.

Re: Name change to city council

I always appreciate a lone vote because it takes courage. As you said it's an election year and nobody wants to lose votes in September.

I appreciate a lone vote, too. I have no use for someone like Frank Wright who doesn't even show up so much of the time. If he doesn't have the courage, doesn't want to do the job or won't make the commitment, he shouldn't run for office.

Wanted: Editor
I always appreciate a lone vote because it takes courage. As you said it's an election year and nobody wants to lose votes in September.

why did MM change her vote? i always supported her stance on this issue and cannot understand after voting NO on the change twice, she agreed to be a co-sponsor?

oh yeah, she's running for mayor - maybe that explains everyone's silence on the issue! i would imagine her supporters are keeping quiet for that reason. garbage.

thanks to the 1 NO vote for being consistent on the issue --- i don't always agree with SF but i always respect his reasoning.

No Show Frank
I appreciate a lone vote, too. I have no use for someone like Frank Wright who doesn't even show up so much of the time. If he doesn't have the courage, doesn't want to do the job or won't make the commitment, he shouldn't run for office.
HAHAHAHAHA!

I was surprised by MM too. I would be interested in hearing her reasons. I know she's running for mayor but much of her base, would not want the change. I guess she thinks she may pick up some votes by showing how modern she is.

Anybody else interested in why this vote was taken in an Appropriations meeting instead of the regular BOA meeting....

Who cares? If they want to call themselves the Gaggle Of Cowardly Lackeys that would have worked too.

Yeah, yeah - I know. Words matter. But actions matter more.

Citizen 1
Anybody else interested in why this vote was taken in an Appropriations meeting instead of the regular BOA meeting....
Every order goes to a committee first. Put your conspiracy radar away.

I wondered that too. Why the appropriations committee. Not because I thought there is a conspiracy but to learn more about my local government process.

In another thread on here, someone is saying that alderman was confusing to people and that they might think we're a town with selectmen so the name changed not to confuse people. I think we can learn and not have things dumbed down.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH ALDERMAN FORBES COMMENTS! COMMENTS BEGIN AT 56:08 - A COMMON SENSE SOLUTION THAT BRINGS US INTO 2019 WHILE RESPECTING THE TRADITIONS OF OUR PAST AND HOW WE GOT HERE.... COULDNT HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER.

WELL DONE SIR!

Calm down
Citizen 1
A name change is not an appropriation committee issue. Conspiracy theories? You are a special kind of stupid🤣🤣

Citizen 1
Calm down
Citizen 1
A name change is not an appropriation committee issue. Conspiracy theories? You are a special kind of stupid🤣🤣
All charter changes are debated in appropriations because it is the only committee that has every alderman as a voting member. Who's stupid??

Why have a subcommittee that has the same makeup as the full committee? Just have one vote.

Calm down
Citizen 1
Calm down
Citizen 1
All charter changes are debated in appropriations because it is the only committee that has every alderman as a voting member. Who's stupid??
Actually you are....using negative comments to try and prove your superior intellect....BTW...as proof of concept, nobody suggested a conspiracy.🤣🤣

Why?
Why have a subcommittee that has the same makeup as the full committee? Just have one vote.
There might be some convoluted reason but I thought the same thing. It's the same people voting.

Calm down
Citizen 1
Calm down
Citizen 1
I see the One Melrose trolls are still at work

WELL DONE!
ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH ALDERMAN FORBES COMMENTS! COMMENTS BEGIN AT 56:08 - A COMMON SENSE SOLUTION THAT BRINGS US INTO 2019 WHILE RESPECTING THE TRADITIONS OF OUR PAST AND HOW WE GOT HERE.... COULDNT HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER.

WELL DONE SIR!
A City Council comprised of individual Aldermen and Alderwomen. Checks off all the boxes for people on both sides of the issue!

Thank you Alderman Forbes for being a voice of reason and the only person to offer a solution instead of simply changing the name altogether.

I wish the other Aldermen will take this into consideration before the final vote on Monday!!!

Our mayor voted against this twice during her time as the ward 5 alderman. Yet the people during public comment seemed to put this aside because it didnt fit their narrative. Women have always voted against the name change in previous votes. Alderman medeiros changed her stance because shes running for mayor and thinks she needs to appeal to all of melrose instead of her base. Not impressed.

I dont always agree with alderman forbes, but i give him credit where credit is due. He has been consistent on the issue the entire time - that means something.

How?
Compromise
WELL DONE!

WELL DONE SIR!
A City Council comprised of individual Aldermen and Alderwomen. Checks off all the boxes for people on both sides of the issue!

Thank you Alderman Forbes for being a voice of reason and the only person to offer a solution instead of simply changing the name altogether.

I wish the other Aldermen will take this into consideration before the final vote on Monday!!!
Why is this a good solution? It is weird. It's basically going out of the city's way to be even more confusing.
Not confusing to me at all. And not confusing to the City of Woburn which has this type of government structure in place. Including the term Alderwoman makes sense and gives people on both sides of the issue something to consider - i liked the way Alderman Forbes presented his view on the issue.

Hey - he was the lone vote, and nobody is likely to change their minds at the BOA meeting. So we know the name change is coming; I can appreciate somebody thats willing to look at issues from a different point of view in order to find an answer :)

Compromise
How?
Compromise
WELL DONE!

WELL DONE SIR!

Why is this a good solution? It is weird. It\'s basically going out of the city\'s way to be even more confusing.
Not confusing to me at all. And not confusing to the City of Woburn which has this type of government structure in place. Including the term Alderwoman makes sense and gives people on both sides of the issue something to consider - i liked the way Alderman Forbes presented his view on the issue.

Hey - he was the lone vote, and nobody is likely to change their minds at the BOA meeting. So we know the name change is coming; I can appreciate somebody thats willing to look at issues from a different point of view in order to find an answer :)
There is probably a reason why Woburn is the only city with this "compromise" solution. It is needlessly convoluted. It genders a term even further when a perfectly good option in Councilor is right there if you change the name to City Council. Alderwoman is just a mouth full and sounds rather silly as well. Try saying Alderwoman Lemmerman 5 times fast lol

A foolish diversion of limited significance.

VOTE NO
Calm down
Citizen 1
Calm down
Citizen 1
All charter changes are debated in appropriations because it is the only committee that has every alderman as a voting member. Who\'s stupid??
The level to which people on this board cover their ears and cry troll when confronted with a differing viewpoint centered around facts, such as this one, is truly impressive. It sure must be nice to be able to hide within the safe little world you’ve created for yourself by denying reality.

Calm down
VOTE NO
Calm down
Citizen 1
Calm down
Citizen 1
All charter changes are debated in appropriations because it is the only committee that has every alderman as a voting member. Who\\\'s stupid??
The level to which people on this board cover their ears and cry troll when confronted with a differing viewpoint centered around facts, such as this one, is truly impressive. It sure must be nice to be able to hide within the safe little world you’ve created for yourself by denying reality.
The point is that you don't have a different point of view....you, in fact are living in a fantasy world of your own. Still a troll, funny you are trolling this forum.
Mommy must have let you stay up past your bedtime. HaHaHa

Citizen 1
Calm down
VOTE NO
Calm down
Citizen 1
Calm down
Citizen 1
All charter changes are debated in appropriations because it is the only committee that has every alderman as a voting member. Who\\\\\\'s stupid??
The point is that you don't have a different point of view....you, in fact are living in a fantasy world of your own. Still a troll, funny you are trolling this forum.
What’s fantasy about the fact that charter changes are debated in appropriations committee? Cry troll and hurl insult. Juvenile but comical enough to be mildly entertaining.

Calm down
Citizen 1
Calm down
VOTE NO
Calm down
Citizen 1
Calm down
Citizen 1
All charter changes are debated in appropriations because it is the only committee that has every alderman as a voting member. Who\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s stupid??
The point is that you don\'t have a different point of view....you, in fact are living in a fantasy world of your own. Still a troll, funny you are trolling this forum.
What’s fantasy about the fact that charter changes are debated in appropriations committee? Cry troll and hurl insult. Juvenile but comical enough to be mildly entertaining.
Your capacity for critical thought is astounding (sarcasm) You are a troll in every sense. Playing with your juvenile mind has been fun. Now tell mommy you are ready to go to bed.

Citizen 1
Calm down
Citizen 1
Calm down
VOTE NO
Calm down
Citizen 1
Calm down
Citizen 1
All charter changes are debated in appropriations because it is the only committee that has every alderman as a voting member. Who\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s stupid??
The point is that you don\\\'t have a different point of view....you, in fact are living in a fantasy world of your own. Still a troll, funny you are trolling this forum.
Your capacity for critical thought is astounding (sarcasm) You are a troll in every sense. Playing with your juvenile mind has been fun. Now tell mommy you are ready to go to bed.
You’ve proven my point for me many times over. My work here is done. :)

Wow...the force is strong with this one...🤣🤣🤣

Staying on topic would be nice. These threads always end with people going in a different direction and essentially killing the conversation.

Frustrating to say the least!

Citizen 1
Those laughing emojis should be saved for how poorly you did when you ran for school committee in 2013, you blowhard

Funny
Citizen 1
Those laughing emojis should be saved for how poorly you did when you ran for school committee in 2013, you blowhard
Wow....must have missed the part when o tan for school committee...🤣🤣 More clueless people 🤣🤣🤠🤠

This entire thread is nonsense. Who gives a $hit what they call themselves?

Citizen 1
Funny
Citizen 1
Wow....must have missed the part when o tan for school committee...🤣🤣 More clueless people 🤣🤣🤠🤠
Either you are lying about being at the alderman meeting in person or you are lying about who you are. Pick one. Only people at the alderman meeting "as seen on TV" were 2 people speaking in favor of the name change, Rob Van Campen, Paul Brodeur, John Schena and a guy from National Grid, and a certain failed candidate for school committee from 2013. I should've known he wouldn't stoop to the childish insults you put in basically every post. My apologies to him.

Please forgive me for thinking you might have actually meant it when you said you saw the alderman meeting from the BoA chamber.

Who Cares?
I used to enjoy this site. The back & forth was informative and entertaining. My how times have changed!

Funny
Citizen 1
Funny
Citizen 1
Either you are lying about being at the alderman meeting in person or you are lying about who you are. Pick one. Only people at the alderman meeting "as seen on TV" were 2 people speaking in favor of the name change, Rob Van Campen, Paul Brodeur, John Schena and a guy from National Grid, and a certain failed candidate for school committee from 2013. I should've known he wouldn't stoop to the childish insults you put in basically every post. My apologies to him.

Please forgive me for thinking you might have actually meant it when you said you saw the alderman meeting from the BoA chamber.
Jokes on you buddy.....proof that Melrose is populated by ignorant, self important blowhards who have zero clue. Go back and review the footage....you missed something🤣🤣 Easy to call someone a liar on an anonymous forum. Harder to prove it when you have no clue what to look for

Who Cares?
That's the point isn't it...👍

Citizen 1
Who Cares?
That's the point isn't it...👍
Please forgive me for thinking you might have actually meant it when you said you saw the alderman meeting from the BOA chamber.

What makes you think I wasn't? An anonymous troll who can't prove what they said....

Trollio
Citizen 1
What makes you think I wasn\'t? An anonymous troll who can\'t prove what they said....
You are the troll. You weren't there. Show me on the footage where you were. Just give me a timestamp where you are on camera. It is on Vimeo, I will wait.
Nice try....prove that I wasn't....ohh...thats right....this is an anonymous forum🤣🤣🤣
Even more hilarious is that you think I need to prove something to an anonymous poster

Good heavens, if this is the most interesting thing to discuss, then we need another special vote, about anything!

Right? It's okay, though. In a couple of months they'll be in fourth grade.

TOTALLY AGREE .