Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Electricity Supplier -- Opinions Needed

Melrose is trying the alternate supplier for electricity again. The one that you are automatically part of unless you actively opt out.

Last time I opted out immediately but I am interested in people's experiences and opinions to help decide what to do this time. I realize this isn't city politics exactly but it's straight out of city hall.

With the new supplier the basic option is the cheapest, then there are 2 other options that are more expensive but with more renewable energy.

Who do you get your bill from? Do you notice a difference in your bill? Is it really cheaper?

Re: New Electricity Supplier -- Opinions Needed

It's Electric
Melrose is trying the alternate supplier for electricity again. The one that you are automatically part of unless you actively opt out.

Last time I opted out immediately but I am interested in people's experiences and opinions to help decide what to do this time. I realize this isn't city politics exactly but it's straight out of city hall.

With the new supplier the basic option is the cheapest, then there are 2 other options that are more expensive but with more renewable energy.

Who do you get your bill from? Do you notice a difference in your bill? Is it really cheaper?
Hi Electric
You get your bill from national grid the service part is supplied by the city’s choice.
As for seeing a difference in the bill no it’s slightly higher.

Thank you for replying. If it's higher then I'm not going to do it. I think there was some kind of problem last time and the city discontinued doing it.

The default that they're putting people in isn't the cheapest one offered. The cheapest one offered is the Basic so if you do it, check all the options.

I received a letter in the mail about this. The city is automatically changing residents to the middle tier rate, not the cheapest one offered by this supplier. If you want the cheapest rate, you have to call.

The last time this was promoted as saving money but now the letter says you may not which means you won't. If I'm not going to save money, why should I do it? Renewable energy is fine but much like the override, not everyone can afford extra charges.

I'm waiting for the water and sewer rate increase. I hoped that if the override passed, they would go easy on us but now, I think we'll hear some excuses and then when the bills come, we will be accused of having leaky toilets. April '19 will go down as an expensive month to live in Melrose.

https://www.cityofmelrose.org/home/news/melrose-community-electricity-aggregation-program-returning-june

In my opinion, it is likely to save you money. It’s less than the current national grid rate. It’s true that there’s no guarantee that the national grid rate won’t be lower at some point in the future but that’s not likely and if it does happen, you can always switch suppliers for one with a lower rate.

When the city’s last aggregation program expired, my electric bill shot up significantly. Many in Melrose were complaining about it.

I don't remember a significant increase last time when the city ended the program. I thought it ended because National Grid became cheaper and something bad happened to Constellation energy. I'm calling National Grid to find out the real proposed rate because I can only find their posted rates for other regions. That might be a red flag but it seems like the city is pushing hard for residents to use the aggregation program. I wonder why?

I already declined, no real savings here. Put in a few more LED bulbs you will save just as much.

resident
I already declined, no real savings here. Put in a few more LED bulbs you will save just as much.
But you'd save more if you did both the LED bulbs and the CEA. And if the National Grid rate got cheaper than the CEA rate wheb they do the next rate in November, you could switch back. It's the best of both worlds because there isn't a contract like a lot of the alternative providers.

No skin off my back as to why you chose opting out, but it is just better on it's face to join the CEA. You should keep in mind the National Grid rate is 13ish cents per kWh right now and going down to 10.8 cents in May. It could go back up to 12-13ish cents in November and people on the CEA will still be at 10.4 cents. If you opt out, you can't jump in. But if you don't opt out, you can go back to National Grid in November if their rate goes under 10.4 cents. It just makes sense in my estimation