Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trustworthy Medeiros

OneMelrose (contradiction in terms) morphed into whatever one wants to call the MelroseFakeDemMachine, the monolithic Mommy group that started out as the overwrought group who didn't get their first choice of kindergarten for their little geniuses about nine years ago. They were instrumental in hiring Taymore (3 of them on the search committee railroaded by Driscoll and Thorp, with VanCampen's incompetent and law-breaking "help"--that cost the taxpayers a lot in fighting the successful actions brought by citizens against their illegal actions--setting up the sham processes all geared towards exerting the will of that ignorant and pig-headed bunch). That mob morphed into the political arm of Melrose Mean Girls (and boys) that now parades around pretending to care about social justice issues when in fact they actually behave like Trumpettes in expensive yoga pants or gym shorts instead of MAGA hats. As the override campaign demonstrated, this is now a well-organized cabal with a lot of disposable cash and zero tolerance for alternate views. They disdain facts or critical thinking, as demonstrated by their fanatical and unthinking support of the school committee and administration. So even if they are technically disbanded according to election law, make no mistake that they are still a highly metastasized organization with tendrils into every aspect of the current Melrose governing and business (as in Chamber) structures.

Just think . Melrose may have its first duly-elected Mayor (Sue Kelleher came close). As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "Not that there's anything wrong with that".

My post should have read...."first duly-elected FEMALE Mayor"

NOOM

Would you venture a guess which sides of each of the contested at-large and ward aldermanic races that group favors or fears?

When you're right, you're right. Metastasized is the perfect word for it. They are a cancerous growth.

Thats great another liberal running melrose and you want to know why this city is so screwed up....go monica

She refused to leave anyone behind and stood up to city hall during the override and demanded truth.. my vote is her because SHE CARED ABOUT OUR FAMILY.. one that faced the loss of a home because the override was going to finically cripple us!

Vote for women I am a Dem.

that was 6 years ago. what else you got? so boring

It's a valid question. Read her comments on the subject at the time. 6 years is irrelevant. Not that it will be a legitimate choice for her to make. She is going to lose by 20%

"legitimate choice"?. some need to put the thesaurus away, some need to buy one.

you can be a democrat and vote for trump as i did.I am a democrat not a liberal.I am against abortion thats my rite as a democrat.lots of democrats voted for trump and will again.No way i could vote for that idiot hillary.she is a disgrace and her little sister warren is even worse.I am a democrat and proud to be one.but i know i could never vote for the liberal agenda its crazy what these nuts talk about.I am a democrat that will vote for monica not paul and his friends that are into killing babies except in rape cases or incest or health of the mother.after that no excuse to many ways to not get pregnant.THIS DEMOCRAT VOTING FOR MONICA....

Personally, I don't care whether she supports Trump or not. That has about as much to do with running the city as Boris Johnson and Brexit.
What I like is that she seems the more fiscally conservative of the two. Brodeur, as state rep, supported bolstering public union bargaining positions. Don't know whether he gets it that as Mayor, he will be in a naturally adversarial relationship with them.
Also, I hope liberal Dems get the joke that if Warren wins the stock market will likely tank 20% minimum. Who cares? Public unions and taxpayers should. Where do you think pension funds are invested? That's right, the market. Already stretched, the City will then have a choice: weaker pension funding ratios or higher taxes. Which way do you think Mr. Brodeur would go?

I believe PAUL Brodeur there tonight and i was not impressed.Has he forgotten about running for mayor?I was at a public meeting he talked about things that might help melrose funding repairs to the arts.Maybe Paul has to remember just showing up all public events will not you elected as mayor.IT like at picture in the paper.Meeting 6 13 2019.The Poses every candidate has to prove themselves. We have a lot of poser.Have big shoes to fill.The question becomes.WHOS going to work at it hard?

I am a lifelong Democrat, but, even though one would think that a pet rock should be able to beat the current buffoon, I don't see any of the current crop of potential candidates as 'electable'. Scary!

Monica Medeiros is the only mature, fair-minded voice.

Did I read this right?
In her comments to the newspaper after her 2nd place finish Monica said "I am very enthusiastic about the task at hand to be able to have this opportunity for myself and really all woman," she said. "Melrose is such a forward-thinking city and we've never elected a woman in all these years," Medeiros said. "I know that weight is on my shoulders and I'm not going to let people down." Really? Monica let all women in Melrose down when she refused to support the Commission for Women and in her negative campaigning on every debit exclusion and override that came up during her tenure in Melrose...effectively telling all students and teachers, male or female, that they were not worth the investment.
It is clear you were not paying attention as to WHY Monica was upset with the democrats in town trying to ram through two successive overrides without proper public participation. Its the same problem that has plagued the City for the last 15 years: A complete lack of transparency by city politicians and employees and complete arrogance and downright anger by political hanger-ons ( aka, The One Melrose Crowd) towards others who may have good ideas, alternative opinions or simply insist on transparency before they vote for a multi-million dollar override. Sadly, it will take many years before these wack-jobs leave town and we are able to re-establish the sharing of thoughts and ideas without attacks. So there it is; the primary reason for breakdown of democracy in Melrose.

"It is clear you were not paying attention as to WHY Monica was upset with the democrats in town trying to ram through two successive overrides without proper public participation. Its the same problem that has plagued the City for the last 15 years: A complete lack of transparency by city politicians and employees and complete arrogance and downright anger by political hanger-ons ( aka, The One Melrose Crowd) towards others who may have good ideas, alternative opinions or simply insist on transparency before they vote for a multi-million dollar override. Sadly, it will take many years before these wack-jobs leave town and we are able to re-establish the sharing of thoughts and ideas without attacks. So there it is; the primary reason for breakdown of democracy in Melrose."

Thank you for this correct post!

Many of the self-righteous and arrogant "OneMelrose" types will slink out of town, or will have their kids placed in schools outside of the district, the moment the realize (if they care enough to notice) that their geniuses (because they all tend to be the types who think their kids are "gifted") aren't up to snuff in their academic work (and/or that they have been poorly coached and won't be winning any sports scholarships, as they had expected). They will never have the humility to recognize the connection between their unthinking, often fanatical support of the school administration/school committee and their own childrens' subpar achievement results. They will never take any personal responsibility for their own lack of courage, let alone critical thinking. They just won't connect the dots because they either have no integrity and/or they are too self-absorbed to care. But at some point a lot of these parents have quietly moved their kids (those that can) or even moved out of Melrose entirely. In fact at least one of the OPs (I think several) of that so-called "Melrose Community" page left Melrose exactly for these reasons, but they continue to stay on as OPs and have the arrogance to continue telling the rest of us what we should think and do. There are others whose children have graduated from MHS, done okay (nothing exceptional), and are now living with enormous debt (or rather, their poor children are) because there was little to zero financial aid offered. Many others are dealing with the fact that their kids truly aren't doing so well, many not getting past even the first semester of college, and many more not be getting decent jobs even if they did manage to graduate, because they looked at college as MHS II, majoring in beer (vodka/vaping) and parties. But these parents will still not step up and realize their own deep culpability in their children's under-achieving lives.

Just watch how vehemently these spoiled, willfully ignorant parents jump on Paul's bandwagon, while they self-righteously MeanGirl his opposition, with zero willingness to understand exactly what a fine representative of all of us Monica Medeiros has been and what an empty suit PB has always been simultaneously.

In spite of their protestations that this one or that one "doesn't care about the kids", what is being blatantly obvious here is that for them, it is NOT about the kids, and never has been. It's all about them. It always has been and always will be. As long as they can tell themselves how wonderful they are, they'll be satisfied, no matter what the actual empirical results are. Unfortunately, it's the rest of us that are stuck with the cost of propping up their egos.

ED, Bush is still alive, it's pretty rude to call him "passed" already!

Mel
I’ve heard of people being pro-choice but it takes a sick f#&k to be pro abortion.

What? By definition they are one and the same.

"The United States abortion-rights movement (also known as the United States pro-choice movement) is a sociopolitical movement in the United States supporting the view that a woman should have the legal right to an elective abortion, meaning the right to terminate her pregnancy."

Just curious. What is the philosophy behind identical posts under different topics?

Reading your post, I do indeed believe that you’d be voting for trump, if you get the chance, and as I said, that’s scary!
Do you read/listen to/watch the news??? Or do you think it’s all “fake”?

Geezer
ED, Bush is still alive, it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s pretty rude to call him \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"passed\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" already!
Hey, get it right Bush Sr. died last year so get the facts. The place I live Melrose, Ma Must Vote For Monica. She will not have her hand in the bag...you will be sorry if you vote for the man.

The statement is about hate and the facts. You go Monica, you will be the first women for Melrose, we need you for our mayor...Mayor Monica.

What else is next for this group of haters???

My neighbors on Melrose st. are both selling their house because Melrose is a different city then before. School problems never solved only becoming worse.

‘correct’, get YOUR facts straight! ‘ED’ (who has since rightly removed his post, because it was ridiculous) was referring to a recent story regarding Ellen and George W., who is very much alive, and called him a passed President.

I am going to assume he meant "past". This entire discussion is ridiculous. Honest to God.

Words matter.
We all know what happens when we “”assume”.

Everyone on this site knows you took ED's down because it had the HATE word to you. Starts with a T and end
in a p. People are not believing you Geezer.

Yeah, like I have the ‘power’ to remove posts on here!
My comment to ED was a polite way of saying “Hey, buffoon, when you don’t know the difference between passed and past, I immediately discount everything else that you have to say”.

Monica is not a true politician like we are seeing on the DEMS side. Geezer is teaching posters how to be a bully. The cause and effect the DEMS are causing around the world is to weaken our president. The effect is what is happening today with Turkey so start RESPECTING our country.

Geezer
Yeah, like I have the ‘power’ to remove posts on here!
My comment to ED was a polite way of saying “Hey, buffoon, when you don’t know the difference between passed and past, I immediately discount everything else that you have to say”.
Like not knowing how to say nuclear and saying nucular instead. Prior poster is right. This entire discussion is ridiculous.

You are so right hate is not the answer. Move to a liberal city or town if you are not for Monica.

Yet I’m sure you noticed that FOX news started saying “nucular”, so the President would sound ‘less stupid’.

....and when did expecting people to use proper English become bullying? Probably when you started accepting it when someone wanted to “axe” you a question!

Of course I will vote for Monica, I support our Great President and so does Monica! Monica knows that a President Trump is making America great! She voted for him and supports him, and ALL my Republican friends in Melrose do to! We will win this November, and Monica will make Melrose great again!

I'm sure no one would purposely sabotage their own candidate with a post like that, so you must be with the Brodeur camp!

I will vote for Monica.

PB is an empty suit, or rather a pretentious HAT (the one he likes to skulk around in to impress everyone). He's anything but impressive. He has always been a no-heavy-lifter, basically useless. But he's extremely entitled and feels he's owed this mayorship. He does not deserve it! He has actually accomplished about zero for Melrose, despite his many years on the public payroll. He's looked at as merely a lightweight at the State House, always playing the game trying to be smooth.

How would you describe his opponent. Deserving? Qualified? Come on Man. The next utility bill she pays will be her first.

Kenneth
I'm sure no one would purposely sabotage their own candidate with a post like that, so you must be with the Brodeur camp!
Are you suggesting that our local Republican candidates would be sabotaging their election by admitting their support for Trump? So should they lie about supporting Trump just to get votes? Why not ask Monica who she supports in the 2020 elections? Why are the local Republicans suddenly downplaying their love for Trump, and scrubbing their Facebook profiles, when we all know they are all in KAGAs? It’s dishonest and deceitful to embrace radical, alt right politics, but pretend you don’t when running for public office.

I’m not “suggesting” it at all, I’m saying it!
And of course it’s dishonest, but is a necessity, no one is going to admit that they support this boob!

PB thinks he has this race in the bag and he is arrogantly mailing it in.

News flash to PB if you drive around the city Monica signs outnumber PB signs 2 to 1. Nostradamus smells an upset coming.

What City are you driving in???

Tea leaves
PB thinks he has this race in the bag and he is arrogantly mailing it in.

News flash to PB if you drive around the city Monica signs outnumber PB signs 2 to 1. Nostradamus smells an upset coming.
Literally everyone I know is voting for Paul. No need to put up signs, we all know who we are voting for.

All the Monica signs are in front of Trump supporting Republicans. Every hard core MAGA in my neighborhood has a Monica sign up. The Monica sign identifies them as a far right, Trump supporting Republican. Fair enough, we all know who you really are now.

Maybe. I actually still haven't made up my mind. Monica has supported Trump often enough that it makes my skin crawl, but Paul is the epitome of an empty suit. Once again, we have a choice between bad and worse.

Without Monica’s unequivocal denouncement of trump, I think I have to hold my nose and vote PB.

"All the Monica signs are in front of Trump supporting Republicans. Every hard core MAGA in my neighborhood has a Monica sign up. The Monica sign identifies them as a far right, Trump supporting Republican. Fair enough, we all know who you really are now."

And you know this as a *fact* precisely how? I can think of a number of progressive folks who voted for Monica in the preliminary stage, even if they might not all at general election. The problem in Melrose with making assumptions about local government as tied to national politics is that the issues don't neatly align at all. (And tagging people in the trolly way the above quote does might just trigger some contrary behavior that you might not wish for.)

Some progressive folks, particularly those who might have been tagged as good-gummint types back in the day, might vote against PB simply because they want to see more active friction between the parts of our city government that have in recent administrations (not just Democrat but also Republican when that acted like a machine here) used a self-serving institutional consensus to mask maladministration and worse. In the context of Melrose, it's not like the national level issues driving MAGA-type voters map to any particular local issues (fiscal probity or at least accountability/transparency, of course, being an absurdly ridiculous association with the current national GOP).

One can see this at work at the state level in Massachusetts: plenty of people who are hard blue voters at the national level will prefer Charlie Baker or his like in the Corner Office simply to force friction within the State House in a way that invites greater accountability because no one party has a lock on all the power.

Concerned Melrosian
Some progressive folks, particularly those who might have been tagged as good-gummint types back in the day, might vote against PB simply because they want to see more active friction between the parts of our city government that have in recent administrations (not just Democrat but also Republican when that acted like a machine here) used a self-serving institutional consensus to mask maladministration and worse.

That "institutional concensus" is what you get when your Mayor has a Nero complex and gets away with it, and has certainly been the root of many - or most - of the "issues" we've faced here over the past twenty years. It's hard to argue otherwise. The question is whether there are enough of those votes to have an effect on the result.

I Don't Know
Maybe. I haven't made up my mind. Monica has supported Trump often enough that it makes my skin crawl, but Paul is the epitome of an empty suit. Once again, we have a choice between bad and worse.

Exactly how I feel.

Addressing the person [Nope] about who said all the Monica signs are put out by far right constituents is incorrect. I know several people who have them that are very moderate and there are most likely more.

Nope, I'm glad you're part of the club of people that dare not to have an independent opinion ever. Middle school follow the herd mentality. Don't be too hurt when you find out that some animals are more equal than others.

1 2