Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Announcement: meeting on overnight parking ban scheduled

Who?

KLG. Garabedian.

Just read her FB comments. This guy actually sued the Traffic Commission about this? Apparently there was a dispute over what the appropriate office was for petitioning for a change.

Okay, now someone tell me what's really going on here.

I know how this went down.

The guy asked the traffic commission to change the parking ban last year. The Traffic Commission tried to get him to withdraw the request because the city administration didn't like it. Dude refused, and the commission agreed to hold a special meeting in the fall last year. RVC then gave a super special expert opinion that said only the city council can change the overnight parking ban because there is no change the city council would have touched this with a 10-foot pole. The guy sued because the law clearly says only the traffic commission can change parking rules in the city. The city ended up settling before it got anywhere near a judge and even paid his court costs.

RVC give BS legal reasons all the time to effect policy change because he knows that nobody will challenge him. This guy challenged him and won. RVC needs to go.

Well, having lived here for a long time, what ticks Melrosians off about the year-round ban is that it's become more difficult than it used to be to deal with the police department. There used to be an informal system of calling ahead and alerting them to a parking need; now "permission" is only granted under more limited circumstance than was formerly the case (way back, you never needed to offer a reason or even car/plate info).

And the department has made a quite a show of ticketing in the first 15 minutes after 2AM for the past several months.

I think a proposal that would satisfy what most Melrosians would really like but is impractical to implement would be free street by street "permitting" for overnight parking from April 1 through Dec 1 - not citywide or neighborhood permits like Boston et cet.: residents will not warm to having strangers who are not neighbors or guests parking in front of their homes at night - there will be anxiety about potential crime, among other things. Remember, one way Boston-area folks say hello to strangers is "Who the f*** are you?". Simply eliminating the ban is not going to be seen as the right solution to the problem.

And all residents will still need to have enough parking on their own property for the winter months. The city will no longer be readily approving the paving of front yards for that purpose - creates too much runoff unless its done in a much more expensive way that encourages percolation of storm water on-site. (We pay for treating runoff: if you hate our water/sewer bills, you'd appreciate the city's attitude about paving yards for parking.)

ESQ
I know how this went down.

The guy asked the traffic commission to change the parking ban last year. The Traffic Commission tried to get him to withdraw the request because the city administration didn't like it. Dude refused, and the commission agreed to hold a special meeting in the fall last year. RVC then gave a super special expert opinion that said only the city council can change the overnight parking ban because there is no change the city council would have touched this with a 10-foot pole. The guy sued because the law clearly says only the traffic commission can change parking rules in the city. The city ended up settling before it got anywhere near a judge and even paid his court costs.

RVC give BS legal reasons all the time to effect policy change because he knows that nobody will challenge him. This guy challenged him and won. RVC needs to go.

Is this related to the issues he had about Upham Street speeding and truck noise ? Was he suing because of nowhere to park on Upham? I am so confused. This needs to wait

He sued to protect the rights of all residents to make requests to the traffic commission, including those disliked by the mayor's office. It had nothing to do with a particular street.

"There used to be an informal system of calling ahead and alerting them to a parking need; now "permission" is only granted under more limited circumstance than was formerly the case (way back, you never needed to offer a reason or even car/plate info)."

Having lived in Melrose for 15 years we have always called the Police when we had out of town guests. and gave the vehicle description including make, color and plate info and have never been told I couldn't leave the car on the street. They usually ask that you call before 11 pm.

The parking ban should not be lifted, as emergency vehicles will not be able to get down the street.

Again, that’s an absurd ‘scare tactic’ argument, with no basis in fact/reality!

Okay. Then I'll give you my reason for opposing changing it. I like it the way it is now. I don't need any other reason than that.

Well, it’s changing, so get over it. And if it doesn’t change with this round of meetings it will eventually be lifted. Too many people getting unnecessarily ticketed. And to the guy whining about fire trucks not getting down the street, do fire engines get around just fine during the much busier daytime hours? Exactly, take your nonsensical scare tactics elsewhere.

Old
Well, it’s changing, so get over it.

We'll see. Don't count on it.

"Okay", now your reason I accept, because I admire your honesty! If more people would just admit that, instead of coming up with these BS arguments, it would make a lot more sense.

Willie
"Okay", now you're reason I accept, because I admire your honesty! If more people would just admit that, instead of coming up with these BS arguments, it would make a lot more sense.
Agreed, he's just up front and honest. People who makes these wild myths to scare people are the annoying ones, not the honest ones like "okay."

The parking ban should not be lifted.

ESQ
He sued to protect the rights of all residents to make requests to the traffic commission, including those disliked by the mayor's office. It had nothing to do with a particular street.
Thank you. This is just confusing. I was not sure why

Seems like this guy had a few law suits. Google

Talk about a masochist. Guy didn’t even have the guts to make his case. Just let everyone else crap all over it and get unanimously voted down. Overwhelming opposition.

With all in favor on here gotta wonder if he’s just posting over and over again.

Well that's that. Now I have a question - in what alternate universe does an advisory board or commission have the authority or responsibility to set or change policy?

As it turned out, the Commission had no balls. Lousy decision, but that's the way It goes in Melrose. We just accept things and move on, saying whatareyagonnado. Hopefully the election will change that a bit!

That's your opinion. You don't like it because they didn't do what you wanted. I, on the other hand, as well as the vast majority of those in attendance, think they arrived at the correct decision.

Get over it.

Can't imagine any of the candidates for office next month would publicly embrace a repeal of the parking ban. Repeal won't address the real issues for most Melrosians, who would likely be up in arms if it were repealed. Tackling the issues with the parking ban is not a binary choice matter.

**** libtards trying give me the freedom to park where I want to.

“Okay”, of course that’s why I don’t like it, DUH! And of course anything other than stating facts is simply my opinion, which I am entitled to have.
As far as getting over it, it’s ancient history to me, and won’t affect my life one iota, until we discuss it again, or not, the next time.

This is how Smellrose makes it's $$$$. Parking tickets and not all downtown is the same amount of time. One part is 2 hour and the other side is 30 mins...watch the signs. I have 3 cars and this $ucks thanks to the realtors for not telling us this information.

That's been that way for years. It was a deliberate decision to allocate part of the parking for short-term use (to encourage more turnover), and others to longer-term use. No surprises except to anyone who never bothered to check the signs that have been there for years.