Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trustworthy Medeiros

I Don't Know
Maybe. I haven't made up my mind. Monica has supported Trump often enough that it makes my skin crawl, but Paul is the epitome of an empty suit. Once again, we have a choice between bad and worse.

Exactly how I feel.

Addressing the person [Nope] about who said all the Monica signs are put out by far right constituents is incorrect. I know several people who have them that are very moderate and there are most likely more.

Nope, I'm glad you're part of the club of people that dare not to have an independent opinion ever. Middle school follow the herd mentality. Don't be too hurt when you find out that some animals are more equal than others.

"All the Monica signs are in front of Trump supporting Republicans. Every hard core MAGA in my neighborhood has a Monica sign up. The Monica sign identifies them as a far right, Trump supporting Republican. Fair enough, we all know who you really are now."

And you know this as a *fact* precisely how? I can think of a number of progressive folks who voted for Monica in the preliminary stage, even if they might not all at general election. The problem in Melrose with making assumptions about local government as tied to national politics is that the issues don't neatly align at all. (And tagging people in the trolly way the above quote does might just trigger some contrary behavior that you might not wish for.)

Some progressive folks, particularly those who might have been tagged as good-gummint types back in the day, might vote against PB simply because they want to see more active friction between the parts of our city government that have in recent administrations (not just Democrat but also Republican when that acted like a machine here) used a self-serving institutional consensus to mask maladministration and worse. In the context of Melrose, it's not like the national level issues driving MAGA-type voters map to any particular local issues (fiscal probity or at least accountability/transparency, of course, being an absurdly ridiculous association with the current national GOP).

One can see this at work at the state level in Massachusetts: plenty of people who are hard blue voters at the national level will prefer Charlie Baker or his like in the Corner Office simply to force friction within the State House in a way that invites greater accountability because no one party has a lock on all the power.

Concerned Melrosian
Some progressive folks, particularly those who might have been tagged as good-gummint types back in the day, might vote against PB simply because they want to see more active friction between the parts of our city government that have in recent administrations (not just Democrat but also Republican when that acted like a machine here) used a self-serving institutional consensus to mask maladministration and worse.

That "institutional concensus" is what you get when your Mayor has a Nero complex and gets away with it, and has certainly been the root of many - or most - of the "issues" we've faced here over the past twenty years. It's hard to argue otherwise. The question is whether there are enough of those votes to have an effect on the result.

"I don’t think she’s going to get much support this November."

All well and good. Just don't be among those making facile assumptions that all the folks who bother to vote "for" her are MAGA-types. Local politics is about who has incentives to refuse to "go along to get along".

Registered Dem here who has received two mailers and a door knock from MM since the prelim.

PB - no mailer, no door knocks, no nothing. Well, he did send his paid staffer around to knock in August. Not sure what that guy is after.

MM wants it. PB thinks he already won. He’s like the hare asleep at the finish line.

I will probably go PB just because MM’s cronies scare me but memo to PB - shoe leather is rewarded in local elections.

Tea leaves
Registered Dem here who has received two mailers and a door knock from MM since the prelim.

PB - no mailer, no door knocks, no nothing. Well, he did send his paid staffer around to knock in August. Not sure what that guy is after.

MM wants it. PB thinks he already won. He’s like the hare asleep at the finish line.

I will probably go PB just because MM’s cronies scare me but memo to PB - shoe leather is rewarded in local elections.
Yeah, I can see your point. But remember, most people have day jobs and families and can’t campaign full time. And I’m sure Monica is getting a lot of financial support from the Republican Party outside of Melrose to fund her campaign. When you don’t have a job to go to every day, no partner, no kids who need rides, have games and teacher conferences to attend, etc., you have lots of time to campaign, lol.

I just think that quitting your job, because you think you have the election in the bag, reveals an amazing sense of entitlement. Or maybe she was fired, and just really needs a job? Again, it’s all very unclear, and candidate Medeiros hasn’t really explained. She supposedly lives with her parents, and has her whole life; maybe that’s why she can quit jobs and take chances like this without worrying about who is going to pay the bills. Again, not something many of us can relate to.

I don’t think Monica is really interested in representing ALL of Melrose; she has a long history of aligning herself with some of the extremist political gadflies and anti- government zealots in this town. The local Republican Party has swung hard right MAGA, and that level of extreme alt-right politics doesn’t really reflect the current Melrose demographic. I’m predicting a win by Brodeur, based on the primary results.

Well....
I don’t think Monica is really interested in representing ALL of Melrose; she has a long history of aligning herself with some of the extremist political gadflies and anti-government zealots in this town. The local Republican Party has swung hard right MAGA, and that level of extreme alt-right politics doesn’t really reflect the current Melrose demographic. I’m predicting a win by Brodeur, based on the primary results.

Not sure I can agree with all that. The "political gadfly" part - okay, I'll give you that one, but I can't agree with the "anti-government zealots" part. Most of those I think are more "anti bad government" like the kind we've been saddled with for the last twenty years. I think they'd support government they had faith in, if such a thing even exists anymore.

I also suspect PB will win, in that he is the "insider" and MM the "outsider", and the insiders are still in control. Nothing has changed in that regard.

I think Brodeur will win as well but I appreciate him having a challenger. The not representing all of Melrose comment? Most of the candidates in this election do not represent me and I doubt anyone cares. It's how life is.

I see people hitting below the belt with Monica saying she lives with parents, doesn't have a job, personal lifestyle attacks. For all their (obviously phony) talk the so called progressives are not very classy. They are frauds.

I would never vote for Monica. She did not support the override. I think she panders to a certain group in melrose, a large group that is on this website. Please do not forget she is a REPUBLICAN and as far as I can tell not a good one.. A good one would try to unite our city. She campaigned and endorced trump, and has not spoken out against.. I hope everyone goes out and votes for PAUL...

I generally agree with all who are arguing for why to vote for PB. But it seems to me that they are arguing for the cardboard cutout of a generic Democrat.

Where is PB? He’s not out knocking doors and is mailing it in. Monica was at the Traffic Commission this week taking a stand. Where’s PB?

Does he even want to be mayor?

If he doesn’t have the stamina to run for it how is he going to govern?

90% of life is showing up and he’s absent all of a sudden.

He's not absent "all of a sudden". He's been nowhere to be found for years.

she didnt vote for the override? course she didnt she new it was a scam.they found 2 plus million 2 weeks after the vote and you fell for it.shes a republican so shes a bad person? you just hate the party.by the way take a look around the country the liberal democrats have made a mess of every city they run hows baltimore hows LA hows sanfran hows portland they are all a mess thank god for president Trump you mite hate him but he gets it you liberals dont just look around paul just like the rest has done nothing time for a change in melrose you go monica and work for all the people

Her not supporting that override is a plus for her in my book. I still haven't figured out how people could have been so dumb as to have not seen that for what it was. Paul supported it because he's an insider, and there's no reason to suspect or even hope anything will change if he's elected.

I Don't Know
Her not supporting that override is a plus for her in my book. I still haven't figured out how people could have been so dumb as to have not seen that for what it was. Paul supported it because he's an insider, and there's no reason to suspect or even hope anything will change if he's elected.
Agree completely that her articulate reasoning against the override (and of those joining her!) is a huge reason to support her mayoral candidacy. PB is just part of the PoopTornado Status Quo. If you like how Melrose has been mismanaged under this corrupt status quo of Yes Women & Men (who fancy themselves liberals but are most certainly not in any real sense), then you will surely vote for PB. If you value honesty and integrity (regardless of national party politics), then Ms. Medeiros is the only choice. She will stand up for and represent all of us, regardless of party. She is a mature and thoughtful servant of the people, as her 16 years of public service already prove. She will stand up to the truly vile status quo Melrose Machine and make Melrose a much more responsive and ethical community. PB will do as he's always done, cater to his political patronage system and spout a lot of empty words (when he isn't trying to impress with his silly hat and trenchcoat).

"Tes leaves", I apologize for questioning in what City you're driving! It does appear that fairly recently the 'Monica signs' have been put up all over, and do indeed outnumber Pb's. Not sure that means anything relative to the election, but you were/are indeed correct!

Apparently the message board is doing the job it's supposed to be doing. That's the freedom of speech.

Monica is a far right, Trump supporting Republican. She would be a disaster for Melrose. You honestly believe she’s going to hire qualified people to head city departments? She wants a career in politics, she’s going to stack City Hall with unqualified political hires. She doesn’t remotely have the professional knowledge or connections to make appropriate hires.

She has never wanted to represent everyone in this city, and she never has. She was unpopular as a Ward alderman, and a disaster during her brief 2 year stint on the school committee. She’s never been an advocate for anyone but herself. Aside from her political gigs, what has she done for this city? Where has she volunteered on a regular basis? She never sets foot in our public schools, does she volunteer somewhere else? Where has she given back to this community? Other than complaining about paying taxes, she’s not done anything that hasn’t been self serving.

She’s getting signs put up because she’s lying to voters and misrepresenting herself as a moderate, and not the far right MAGA that she is.

Unqualified Political Hires????? Really?
Mike “the thief” Cemetery Godfather?
Scenna, Vanny (Deputy Mayor) Peter P, GTA all of the Everett nepotism list of hires?
Will PB fire Ruth Clay?
Will PB promote Elena as DPW Head?
Clean sweep of City Hall, Paul!
MM’s support is deeper and wider than the “Let’s Talk Melrose”, One Melrose and the MEF want to admit.
PB may win or MM may win.
It will be very close.
The Override is on the ballot again.
I honestly change my mind daily on how I plan to vote.

Well....
Everyone who voted no on the override is voting for Monica, because she voted no. All of the local Republicans are voting for her because they are voting straight party. She’s been endorsed by at least two far right organizations, which explains her position on two issues; she supports overturning Roe v Wade and criminalizing abortion, and is against any sort of gun regulation. She supports Trump, and will vote for him in 2020. She’s a perfect reflection of the current Republican Party.

Beyond that, I don’t see much support from educated Melrose residents. She did poorly in the forum, repeating her talking points over and offer, offering generalities and platitudes, and nothing very specific. She’s not very articulate. There’s really no explanation as to what she’s done for a living for the past several decades, it’s all rather vague....what was her career, and how long did she work in her field? How would her work experience make her a better Mayor? She’s currently unemployed, which is a bit of a red flag for me.

A long time resident told me she only served two years on the school committee, and was a poor advocate for students. She has no children, and has never had any involvement with the schools, or volunteered with the youth of this city. Why should families with kids vote for someone whose shown no interest in the issues parents face, and just can’t relate to them?

People like to claim Brodeur is a “professional politician”, but the sense I get from Monica is that she’s a wannabe professional politician, who is just looking for a job where she can get paid to be a Republican, lol. Other than complaining about taxes, I do t see what she brings to the table. I don’t think she’s going to get much support this November.

Monica is unemployed because she resigned her job to run full time for Mayor.
Jackie resigned her job as GI’s flunky to run full time for Mayor.
Manisha resigned her job and became unemployed to run full time for Mayor.
Monica is single and has no children but ran and won and served on the School Committee.
Anyone ever question why Zwirko and his wife have no children?
Why didn’t any of the ONE MELROSE parents who “love the children” and feel the “schools are the most important priority” in Melrose run for SC?
We are still stuck with the FELON, Driscoll and DeSelm (who is running for the State Legislature if PB wins).
All the SC up are running unopposed!
We voted for the Override.
We are voting Monica for Mayor and will leave 3 blanks beside all of the SC candidates running unopposed because of hypocrisy!

No....
Monica is a far right, Trump supporting Republican. She would be a disaster for Melrose. You honestly believe she’s going to hire qualified people to head city departments? She wants a career in politics, she’s going to stack City Hall with unqualified political hires. She doesn’t remotely have the professional knowledge or connections to make appropriate hires.

She has never wanted to represent everyone in this city, and she never has. She was unpopular as a Ward alderman, and a disaster during her brief 2 year stint on the school committee. She’s never been an advocate for anyone but herself. Aside from her political gigs, what has she done for this city? Where has she volunteered on a regular basis? She never sets foot in our public schools, does she volunteer somewhere else? Where has she given back to this community? Other than complaining about paying taxes, she’s not done anything that hasn’t been self serving.

She’s getting signs put up because she’s lying to voters and misrepresenting herself as a moderate, and not the far right MAGA that she is.
Now that's rich coming after the last administration flooded city hall and every other department with Everett crooks, and MEF people.

Monica is the one coming in with the broom, but that's what scares you in't it?

If that's what you really think scares people about Monica, then you indeed are bombed on Wild Turkey!

The desperation in these anti Monica posts from the PB mafia is disturbing.

MM is MAGA, I get it. But it’s not a coronation. Stop spreading weird innuendo and dealing from the bottom of the deck. There are legitimate things to criticize MM for but it’s seriously unconscionable to criticize her for not being married and not having kids. PB is a bald little troll who wears a stupid Pats hat like he’s pretending to be one of his out of town union cronies! See, two can play that game.

MM’s stand on the override was the height of grandstanding and was disingenuous. She hasn’t disavowed Trump publicly. She hasn’t identified any substantive thing she would do other than put together a 5 year plan which is interesting since she has unveils none of that plan and her term is 4 years long!

There, I did the job and I did it without attacking MM personally who is has served nearly as long as PB.

When the race is closer than expected or MM wins, it will be because people got fed up with PB’s sanctimonious whisper mafia.

Tea leaves
The desperation in these anti Monica posts from the PB mafia is disturbing.

MM is MAGA, I get it. But it’s not a coronation. Stop spreading weird innuendo and dealing from the bottom of the deck. There are legitimate things to criticize MM for but it’s seriously unconscionable to criticize her for not being married and not having kids. PB is a bald little troll who wears a stupid Pats hat like he’s pretending to be one of his out of town union cronies! See, two can play that game.

MM’s stand on the override was the height of grandstanding and was disingenuous. She hasn’t disavowed Trump publicly. She hasn’t identified any substantive thing she would do other than put together a 5 year plan which is interesting since she has unveils none of that plan and her term is 4 years long!

There, I did the job and I did it without attacking MM personally who is has served nearly as long as PB.

When the race is closer than expected or MM wins, it will be because people got fed up with PB’s sanctimonious whisper mafia.
No one is criticizing MM for not being married, for God’s sake. And not having kids wouldn’t be relevant if it were not for the fact that she has a very long history of not supporting the youth in this town. She fought against the building of the new middle school, when it was a health hazard, filled with mold and falling apart. Her time on the SC was spent voting against things that would benefit students. She fought against every educational override over the past several decades. Her brief time on the SC was just a steppingstone to a position on the BOA. She had no real interest in the education of our students.

She hasn’t shown any interest or investment in the young people of this city. Not in her political positions, or in any sort of community involvement. She has no empathy for the young families with kids, because she doesn’t relate to them. That’s the only reason her “not having children” seems relevant.

At least no one is criticizing the way she dresses, or her appearance, like they are doing with PB.

People without children can have empathy toward young families with kids. Statements labeling MM as unsympathetic or lacking understanding or caring is why Melrose is so divided. Thanks to the ways and means of One Melrose, illegitimate Gail, and JLB our city is in worse shape than even when RD left. JLB is such a phony! While pushing the override for the schools, she and her husband send their oldest son to Malden Catholic. They tried to keep MC attendance a secret as well as her role mishandling Brazil Street. BB is said to be very bitter about her loss. Glad he and JLB can pay the MC tuition. Most of the families in Melrose cannot afford it. My family cannot. Our kids go to MHS. We did not vote for the Override because we live paycheck to paycheck. Tonight is the Farewell Address of Gail! All the sycophants will show up even though they say vile things about her abilities and time as Mayor. Ask the Fire and Police about Melrose being #4. The award is such a farce when our public safety personnel work under conditions which are not fit for humans.

Everything your saying about monica its sounds like your talking about your liberal friends at city hall...you snowflakes kill me grow up

Thanks "mike", for adding to the division that has been created in our City, State, and Country.

It’s odd that the only candidate not getting personally attacked on this board is PB. Even the other 3 candidates who lost, the current mayor, the entire family of one prior failed candidate.

Odd. It’s almost like PB’s flunky flim flam phonies and mumbo jumbo hangers on are intentionally parodying what they think an MM voter sounds like. Very Odd.

It's not odd at all. PB is the insider, and as such has attracted all those who support same. You don't think the MEF mommies or the One Melrose crowd want anything to do with MM do you? These kinds of personal attacks are right out of the Dolan, and by extension their playbook.

I still don't know. i don't think MM is up to the job, and PB is a do-nothing empty suit. Very depressing.

For all these years we've been lamenting not having an election giving us a real chance to change the 'good ole boy' infestation of City Hall. Now, finally given that opportunity, it appears that we have ended up with a choice between a same old same old, and someone who politically supports an imbecile. What happened?

Monica Medeiros has proven herself to be trustworthy over many years of service to Melrose.She has proven that she can be trusted. She's not afraid to tackle the hard issues or speak unpopular truths. She's tough but a kind and honest public servant who has earned our trust and respect.

'Tamara', aren't you going to post this same thing on the old farts string also? I'm sure that a lot of them vote, and you might as well post in all three 'strings', to be completely annoying!

Monica she is the Best Person for the JOB. Get out and VOTE TOMORROW....November 5, 2019,

Granted, mid morning is probably not a peak voting period, but two people voting was not an encouraging sign!

Monica Medeiros has proven herself to be trustworthy over many years of service to Melrose.She has proven that she can be trusted. She's not afraid to tackle the hard issues or speak unpopular truths. She's tough but a kind and honest public servant who has earned our trust and respect.

To link Monica Medeiros to Trump begs the question about who can Paul Broduer be linked to in the Democratic Party. Has he renounced Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Al Sharpton, AOC, Joe Biden, Hunter Biden, and so on. On the state level we have had multiple senior state house leaders with legal and ethical issues. Other elected democrats at the state house have had legal problems as well. We have the democratic mayor of Fall River under federal investigation for shaking down people. There are numerous other examples. Should he take the blame for them? To link Monica to Trump is a cheap political ploy.

Tea leaves
PB thinks he has this race in the bag and he is arrogantly mailing it in.

News flash to PB if you drive around the city Monica signs outnumber PB signs 2 to 1. Nostradamus smells an upset coming.
Great insight!

The lack of support for the best President this country has had is disgusting. Labeling supporters as far right is equally disturbing. What has changed about the right? The right has and always will be supporters of the constitution and all its amendments, Avid military supporters and outspoken of their love for flag and country.

The left is the side that’s gone “far”. If you support democrats now you support socialism, which includes extremely high taxes. You support abortion up to birth, You support 4 year olds picking their gender and parents who chose not to assign their child a gender, You support open borders, allowing everyone and anyone to walk into the country. You support lawlessness. You support oppressing views you’re opposed to if it means sending masked people to beat them. A previous poster has already attempted to shame DJT supporters “we know who you are now”.

Now you tell me, which party has gone far.