Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A way forward for new mayor

We can and should hope that Brodeur can demonstrate more class than so many of his classless and sycophantic supporters, and more importantly that he takes to heart the concerns of the 40% of this city's voting taxpayers who did not vote for him, many of whom are not Rs but Independents and even lifelong Democrats. (This doesn't begin to address the large portion of residents who chose not to vote at all, citizens who've thereby forfeited their right and responsibility but who are still impacted by the actions of the administration.)

If PB intends to succeed in the vein of his two predecessors by continuing to ignore (or worse, to shut down) the concerns of those who are not supporters and continue to behave arrogantly, then we will have to work very hard to make sure his tenure is short, rather than working to help his agenda in a positive, forward-thinking path. (The "stay in your lane"--JLB/GI--contemptuous behavior must stop!) If PB is to continue on the RD path of consolidating executive branch power and working from the Dolan/Infurna premise of secrecy and outrageous abuse of power, then we will need to fight harder than ever to expose the abuses. If instead he decides to take a more thoughtful and wise path, he will take seriously the reasons for the outrage against him, the override, the entrenched and law-breaking school administration/SC, Dolan/Infurna (Van Campen, Clay, DellaRusso, etc.). If Brodeur is capable of gracious and humble leadership (that remains to be seen and is doubtful based on his weak, no-heavy-lifting performance to date), then we can all work to support his efforts, which is the path we should all be hoping for. If instead he keeps the vile department heads who have caused so much irreparable harm, and if he continues on the same course as Mayor Poop Tornado and her deceitful predecessor, heaven help our sorely divided city. Elections certainly have consequences, and history will be the ultimate judge in the end. PB had the OneMelrose Machine at his disposal and still does. If he continues to rest on those hollow laurels, his tenure will be plagued and brief.

If, however, PB sees the possibility of a more positive and enduring legacy (and he wants to be another lifer mayor), he will have to dig in and dare to anger some of the non-thinking OneM sheep and sycophants who are a large part of his constituency. He'll need to roll up his sleeves and begin working with some of those who understand where the real structural and cultural issues must be addressed honestly for any meaningful progress, and that must include those who have been critical of the previous administration (GI doesn't really count). Here's hoping!

Re: A way forward for new mayor

Why would he care about the 40% who didn't vote for him?

There are so many of the one Melrose types living here now that they are the majority. To be a lifer mayor, at least right now he has to appease them.

If they like Taymore and hate straws, one will stay and one will go.

Like it or not, these people have taken over Melrose. And more are coming because regular people cannot afford to buy here and many old timers are selling in disgust but also to take advantage of the market.

It's the new reality.

A few years ago, Brodeur became known for his support of senior citizen related issues. I hope that he remembers this background because the one Melrose does not care about seniors at all. This was made very clear during the override debacle.

He may have to stand up to the one Melrose on this and let's see if he does. The one Melrose are here to raise their children in grand style. That is their mission. Others do not count.

The one Melrose cloaks itself in fake progressive values but when you look under the hood, it's a self serving power grab of resources to enrich themselves.

I have made good money on my house. True, I am not sure I can afford to stay in Melrose when in when we sell it. This won't be for a little while and while it makes me sad, many years ago I bought a house to raise a family. It is not right for me to be bitter, that others wish to do the same.

I blame myself. What did I expect? I never thought where I would live when I am old and fully retired. My house will be too big once the kids are fully out. There are not many smaller houses. I cannot in good faith blame others. I could have made a stink about senior housing, but I didn't even think of it. Now I get it.... oh well

But but but
Why would he care about the 40% who didn't vote for him?

There are so many of the one Melrose types living here now that they are the majority. To be a lifer mayor, at least right now he has to appease them.

If they like Taymore and hate straws, one will stay and one will go.

Like it or not, these people have taken over Melrose. And more are coming because regular people cannot afford to buy here and many old timers are selling in disgust but also to take advantage of the market.

It's the new reality.
A smart politician should absolutely care about those who did not vote for him or her, if he/she wants to be successful and earn the respect from the community at large (something Tisei did very well, for example, reaching both sides of the aisle). Brodeur hasn't done this, and it's possible that he doesn't believe he needs to. That would be a great mistake, since there is a sizeable and knowledgeable portion of the community that is not happy with the status quo, regardless of PB's significant win. Many did not bother to vote, having become so disenfranchised.

Looking at the disgusting makeup of the School Committee, for example, with the same three awful incumbents and no one else even bothering to run, it's easy to see the disenfranchisement and disillusionment in Melrose (not that it's an excuse, just an observation). (That no one else ran is not a sign that everyone is happy with the school committee, as Driscoll and Casatelli brazenly claimed publicly on numerous occasions. Quite the contrary!) Melrose is pathetic in putting forward good candidates, especially for the school committee.

Meanwhile everyone and his dog decided that the city council positions were their ticket to political power, with the exception of those who ran for mayor and forfeited their aldermanic/council positions. Maybe those think they are going to be the natural heirs to the state rep position. That would be silly, but then much of what happens in Melrose is pretty flimsy and silly in the big picture, with few demonstrating much in the way of maturity or a long view. Glad to see that Macmaster did well since he's obviously seen the light and understands how rotten too much of the political infrastructure is. Too bad that he will have a council of rookies and only two experienced incumbents (one of whom is typically asleep through most of the meetings or may as well be with his lack of attention and backbone, and is now claiming he wants to be President again while the other is the one who nominated the great (not) GI, calling upon her vast (not) knowledge of GI (ridiculous, as she hadn't even been in Melrose that long), and heralding the Woman Power connection (so foolish, as the city-caused Brazil Street catastrophe proved). At least we won't have to suffer through any more Morty bloviations, Gail blatherings, or endless equivocations from some of the failed mayoral candidates.

If PB really wants to succeed long-term, he can either reach out to all constituents and actually listen, or he can continue in the vein of his two predecessors (does he have a godfather perhaps looking to sell some cemetery plots or bury some oil tanks of political chums?). PB was aldermanic president, after all, during RD's many years of tenure, so maybe there are similar patronage schemes in the new/old Master Plan. Sure, we will forfeit straws if it means that we can move onto more serious matters and be taken seriously. It will take real leadership skill and backbone to get past the nonsense that passes for legitimate governance here. PB will have to do more than pose in his dude hat and trenchcoat if he wants to gain some traction with his large constituency of doubters. It would be a great thing if PB decides to try and earn the trust of all of Melrose (most certainly not currently ONE, let alone "open to all," by any true metric). This will take a lot of work and real humility. There are many who would like to help this administration be successful, if that trust is earned.

A smart politician should absolutely care about those who did not vote for him.

PAUL Brodeur really wants to succeed long-term, he can either reach out to all constituents and actually listen, or he can continue in the vein of his two predecessors.