Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Override waste/theft!

There will be no support for another Override because people cannot afford more taxes. The newbies on the City Council will make sure all the Override money goes to the schools and will not support $ for new police and fire stations. Selfish millennials may regret their narcissism when their house catches fire, their kids need a narcan fix or a family member is injured in a car accident caused by speeding and traffic. Who cares if 1st responders work in buildings which should be condemned. Certainly One Melrose has different priorities.

We NEED another override to fix the police/fire and program to dig up and repave all roads in Melrose over a two year period. The cost isn’t that much, and our taxes are ridiculously low versus other towns in the area. We can afford this! We can do this!!

Let’s go!!!!!!

It’s happening
....our taxes are ridiculously low versus other towns in the area.

Surely you jest. Either that or you maxed out on the edibles.

Just gave up another big bunch of tax dollars per year in tax revenue to protect that s..thole building of dubious age, very limited architectural interest, and definite obsolescence on Essex Street.
Now will have to pay tax $ to fight - and lose - developer's 40B lawsuit.
I have not seen this year's budget yet, but you'll know what's going on when the Council under-appropriates schools out of General Fund in favor of other accounts while saying all override dollars are going to education as promised. Which - technically - they are, but are also being diverted elsewhere through budget machinations.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think the smart money's betting on me!

I agree with you, and particularly about the building on Essex Street. That was one of the most asinine decisions regarding development, in years!