Melrose Messages

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Business
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Melrose Chamber of Commerce

Are the chamber folks clones of the Melrose School Committe? They just don't get it! Melrose does not need a Whole Foods or Mexico Lindo. Have they not noticed the homeless man that occupies a seat in front of Star Bucks? Kids drinking in the woods are not nearly as much a problem as the homeless residing in Pine Banks Park, the woods between the Wyoming and Forestdale cemeteries, the Fells Acres, Wyoming Depot, and the lobby of the Soverign Bank. The merchants complain about the lack of parking spaces, but in reality it's their ludicrous prices that drive consumers away. Hey Truly...HomeDepot and Lowes gives a 10% discount to veterans!
How many people are only a pay check away from being destitute? Melrose is not Wayland, Weston, Sudbury, or, may I dare say WAKEFIELD! Melrose needs "people" establishments like the Dollar Tree Store, Sparks, Market Basket, Trader Joes, Taco Bell, etc: The current "established" businesses should improve their product and pricing. How many of you have been to Turners Seafood and left still hungry and felt overpriced (don't get me going about Whittemore Hardware)! That's why I go to the Ship in Lynnfield, Michael's Harborside in Newburyport, or Fanueil Hall in Boston.

Re: Melrose Chamber of Commerce

I actually think downtown Melrose looks great. I love all the new businesses. Melrose is a hidden gem that has finally been discovered. To the dismay of some longtime residents I might add. I'm waiting for the first bar. Whoever does it will be a **** millionaire. Think of all the people that leave to go to other cities when they could just drive right down town. I wish I had the balls to do it.

Aristotle
Melrose is not Wayland, Weston, Sudbury, or, may I dare say WAKEFIELD!

This I do throughly agree with. Melrose is a middle class city, always has been, always will be. It is changing a bit, but defiantly no where near the elite wealthy cities/towns in the area. Put Larchment Road in Weston or Sudbury and that would be the poor section of town.

Aristotle
Are the chamber folks clones of the Melrose School Committe? They just don't get it! Melrose does not need a Whole Foods or Mexico Lindo. Have they not noticed the homeless man that occupies a seat in front of Star Bucks? Kids drinking in the woods are not nearly as much a problem as the homeless residing in Pine Banks Park, the woods between the Wyoming and Forestdale cemeteries, the Fells Acres, Wyoming Depot, and the lobby of the Soverign Bank. The merchants complain about the lack of parking spaces, but in reality it's their ludicrous prices that drive consumers away. Hey Truly...HomeDepot and Lowes gives a 10% discount to veterans!
How many people are only a pay check away from being destitute? Melrose is not Wayland, Weston, Sudbury, or, may I dare say WAKEFIELD! Melrose needs "people" establishments like the Dollar Tree Store, Sparks, Market Basket, Trader Joes, Taco Bell, etc: The current "established" businesses should improve their product and pricing. How many of you have been to Turners Seafood and left still hungry and felt overpriced (don't get me going about Whittemore Hardware)! That's why I go to the Ship in Lynnfield, Michael's Harborside in Newburyport, or Fanueil Hall in Boston.

You really need your head examined after those comments! If you want a reasonably priced, quality meal - you can always go to Stearns & Hill Bistro although there is nothing wrong with going to Turner's - also Giacomo's is another excellent choice. Concerning Mexico Lindo - can't find a better family-owned Mexican restaurant than them and again reasonably priced! It is a given fact that you will pay slightly more for things at Whittemore's Hardware but why not? They are local and you avoid that crazy and dangerous Rt. 1 - also you get individual help at Whittmore's - help will answer any of your home repair questions - just ask Jay there!

The restaurant situation in Melrose is not great for what I consider mid level dining out. Except for Mexico Lindo and maybe Giacomo's, the other options are either carry out or too pricey for a quick casual meal where you don't have to think about the bill.

If Grimsby's, on the city border, had better food and a more pleasant staff, they could fill this niche.

Bleak
The restaurant situation in Melrose is not great for what I consider mid level dining out. Except for Mexico Lindo and maybe Giacomo's, the other options are either carry out or too pricey for a quick casual meal where you don't have to think about the bill.

If Grimsby's, on the city border, had better food and a more pleasant staff, they could fill this niche.

I don't consider the Bistro as pricey - and they are quick in delivering the tasty food! The staff are very friendly and accommodating.

Where is the bistro? I've never heard of it.

Bistro Where?

It is also called Stearns and Hill directly across from Turner's on Main Street!

The Bistro
Bistro Where?

It is also called Stearns and Hill directly across from Turner's on Main Street!

Thank you. I think of them simply as Stearns & Hill. I will give them another try. I haven't been there for dinner in awhile.

Is there a color code in Melrose because Franklin Sq. looks like a Xmas tree. Hugo's appliances why are they fined for not sign on the building for years. Is this a pay off?

Are you complaining?

colors
Is there a color code in Melrose because Franklin Sq. looks like a Xmas tree. Hugo's appliances why are they fined for not sign on the building for years. Is this a pay off?

I too have wondered why it's been 10+ years and they still haven't replaced their temporary sign. That red tacky banner has seen better days.

The historic district ends at E Foster, so Hugo's doesn't need a 'period' Victorian sign, but they should invest in something...

Hugo's is a dump and the brothers that own it spend most of their time at the Fish and Game bar. And what about Caruso's? City Inspections are a joke.

Pocaro Caruso
Hugo's is a dump and the brothers that own it spend most of their time at the Fish and Game bar. And what about Caruso's? City Inspections are a joke.

If you want fancy stores with lots of ambiance and high prices - go elsewhere! Who really cares where they go to have a drink - actually - it's good that they support the Fish & Game club - I use their gun range frequently!

Bought a wall air conditioner at Hugos last year - they were friendly and gave me a good price!

Do they need glasses because the spelling of MVMMS is spelled wrong on the school. Tell Ms. Taymore to Paymore.

Get a Life
Pocaro Caruso

If you want fancy stores with lots of ambiance and high prices - go elsewhere! Who really cares where they go to have a drink - actually - it's good that they support the Fish & Game club - I use their gun range frequently!

Bought a wall air conditioner at Hugos last year - they were friendly and gave me a good price!

The city would like it to look nice that is what we are asking for. We know they have the money to do the sign so what stops them?

OK, being too lazy to drive by, and having read it 5 or 6 times now, I'll bite. What is the misspelling on MVMMS ?

Bistro Where?
The Bistro
Bistro Where?

Thank you. I think of them simply as Stearns & Hill. I will give them another try. I haven't been there for dinner in awhile.

We went there for pizza and the cheese falls off the pizza. Not sure if it was a off day but not good.

20/20
Do they need glasses because the spelling of MVMMS is spelled wrong on the school. Tell Ms. Taymore to Paymore.

The poster Prof. Correctipa Jr. made a incorrect statement about the middle school.

Had the squash ravolis at the year old resturant in Melrose and the North End is so much better.

I went to do laundry and the machines all went up cause of the water and sewer price, Dolan has put on the residents and city. WOW!

Liz 857-544-4923 and Christine 781-662-2347 call the SC this is Cindy's boss. She has the school's ranking 70.

Melrose has hit it's limit it is tapped out. I wish the restaurants would close at 11.

Melrose is at a limit and the school has not helped this city at all. The hidden treasure Melrose is not doing too well. The educated families want more for their money. A new zip code will be coming soon.

at a limit
Melrose is at a limit and the school has not helped this city at all. The hidden treasure Melrose is not doing too well. The educated families want more for their money. A new zip code will be coming soon.

You can tell when someone makes the above statement - that they are new to Melrose! Melrose has had much higher populations in the '60's, '70's and '80's than they now have in 2017!

Do you know that city hall had a clinch on just the paraprofessionals checks, no union dues taken out, no dental taken out, and no health ins. taken out. Just the paraprofessionals which they have a big vote too go with the teachers union or stay as a paraprofessional union. Something stinks and we know what it is. To show they have control over us and our $$$.

Alex
Do you know that city hall had a clinch on just the paraprofessionals checks, no union dues taken out, no dental taken out, and no health ins. taken out. Just the paraprofessionals which they have a big vote too go with the teachers union or stay as a paraprofessional union. Something stinks and we know what it is. To show they have control over us and our $$$.

Get a grip. Sit down; take a breather; gather your thoughts. Come back with a coherent message stating what the hell you are getting at.

Think Mayor Dolan is smitten with Superintendent Taymore. BIG Money and Three More Years?

mayor and ct
Think Mayor Dolan is smitten with Superintendent Taymore. BIG Money and Three More Years?

No- he's just ignorant and he shows it just about everyday at city hall!

Time for a change and not a career for Dolan. I am glad I do not have to work with him.

Honest Opinion
mayor and ct

Cindy Taymore will walk by you and not even say hello.

hello
Honest Opinion
mayor and ct

Cindy Taymore will walk by you and not even say hello.

Look at her in the front page of the newspaper she is smiling! This is because the city of Melrose just gave her 3 more years and more money. Any SC that is still running for this position do not vote for them including Mayor Dolan.

School or police departments obligation to have a officer on duty at MHS? Especially after a horribly event last Friday. NO, police officer on duty Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The administration were away this week too.

How are we to park in downtown Melrose? No more being lucky and get a spot. Over crowded Melrose. As a resident we do not even try to eat in Melrose.

Not true. Higher populations, yes. Much higher, no. Population in Melrose is spiking. I can see the city surpassing the 33,000 mark (record population). They build too much, places going up all over the place. They are over developing.

Times sure are changing in this city. I moved back here after 10 years and wow, it has gone from a small town to small city. Not complaining or praising, just listing observations. Downtown looks like something you'd find anywhere else now. This used to be the "hidden gem" of the metro area, not anymore. It sure has been discovered, and with good reason. I'd like to know what the real population of the city is. Most websites have us hovering around 28,000. I say not a chance in hell. When I left that was the population. Now you have to factor in empty nesters being replaced by young families, massive apartment complex's, homes being turn into condos. I see it all over the city. You also have to factor in they aren't done. I still see plans and hear rumors to build more, lots more.

Like anything else, with all of this comes pros and cons. Look at the restaurants in Melrose, Bobby C's all the way to Tahpas 529 and everything in between. People want to be here now. But people wanting to be here now crams the schools and loads up the traffic. Is it worth it? I don't know, I'm a 50/50 guy, I can take it or leave it. One thing that surprised me was that crime has gone up. Melrose was always very quiet, but I guess this can be attributed to the population rise. Can't have it both ways. Drugs have plagued the area (metro area and beyond). The parks are very nice, my wife and I noticed that immediately. But then I thought, are the new schools and parks worth having our Fire and even more so Police departments so undermanned? I think there is a fine line that could have been walked and Rob (dolan) didn't do it. I think he did a decent job with this city, it is definitely better off after him than before him. However, new blood (after infurna) will be refreshing.

Hoping other people chime in like adults and fill me in on what I've missed, thank you.

You may have missed seeing the two homeless people who 'lived' on the benches at the Ell Pond gazebo for the summer.

Willie
You may have missed seeing the two homeless people who 'lived' on the benches at the Ell Pond gazebo for the summer.
There were much more than two. And I think I see how feel on this issue haha.

If you mean as a tragedy in our country and our City, yes.

WOW, the prices and the amount you are paying for is crazy. Have not been in La Qchara for a few months, it has changed for the worst.

The other night I went to dinner and the waitress was not helpful at all. (tatoo on hand)

Lorenzos place
WOW, the prices and the amount you are paying for is crazy. Have not been in La Qchara for a few months, it has changed for the worst.
Paid a visit once, and I noticed that his business plan is the same as many Asian restaurants: countrymen only as employees. Employment discrimination laws only apply to YT.

Are you "identifying" the non-helpful waitress for us, or backhandedly linking the tatoo to a different class of person?

The owner of the nail salon Gloss she is not nice. She will not have her workers get tipped with a cc only cash.:no_good:

Gloss
The owner of the nail salon Gloss she is not nice. She will not have her workers get tipped with a cc only cash.:no_good:
SO, pay them in CASH!

The workers do not want to work on sunday because no tips. No one has cash.

If you don't have $$ to pay for a tip then you really should not be paying to get your nails done.

gloss nails
The workers do not want to work on sunday because no tips. No one has cash.
Stop by the ATM before you go then. EVERYONE prefers getting a cash tip vs card tip.

This happened to me at a hair salon and you can not add the tip on the credit card how embarrassing. I never bring cash with me. Owners are not being fair to the people that work for them.

EBT
If you don't have $$ to pay for a tip then you really should not be paying to get your nails done.
How rude can you be. People need the cards hopefully for food and not your nails done.

I certainly hope it’s not because workers are trying to cheat on their taxes by not reporting cash income!

1 2