Melrose Messages

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Business
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Empty Buildings

What is the status of Caruso's Pizza House, Moynihan Plaza and the gutted space which housed Coffee, Tea and Me?
They are ripe for accidents, vandalism and rats? Who is responsible for allowing them to stay empty?

Re: Empty Buildings

Empty Buildings
What is the status of Caruso's Pizza House, Moynihan Plaza and the gutted space which housed Coffee, Tea and Me?
They are ripe for accidents, vandalism and rats? Who is responsible for allowing them to stay empty?

The owners of the property - certainly not the city! Go search who owns them and tell them about your concerns.

Moynihan Plaza to be redeveloped soon, design for it already in Free Press, Coffee Tea & Me building has recently discovered structural issues that need to be addressed. These two are "in process".
Per Patriot Properties (assessor's) website, Caruso's is actually two buildings owned by the same owners and last transferred in 2014 probably out of the estate. Looks like the total value is about $1.1 million. They still have a couple of tenants there, but that restaurant and empty storefront next to it must be a pretty heavy tax/maintenance nut to carry every year. Hopefully, the city is pressing them a bit on it.

So many leaving the highland area cause the Roosevelt school is not performing well.

How can Hugo's get away with not placing a nice sign on the property. They must know someone in the city.

Hugo's exterior is a mess, Moynihan plaza is a mess, the Coffee, Tea and Me building is "on hold", Caruso's has been abandoned for years. Gerry's pizza is shut. The Planning Department and (Health and Building Inspectors) do not do their jobs. The PR truth regarding Melrose's wonderful downtown is exaggerated. All the empty and dialpted buildings and overflowing trash is great for the rat population.

Over 10 years that place has looked a mess. I have no idea how they get away with the plastic sign in Melrose.

Hugo's
Over 10 years that place has looked a mess. I have no idea how they get away with the plastic sign in Melrose.

Yea, what's the deal with that? They are outside the historic zone (ends at E Foster), but still, as a business owner wouldn't you want your building to be at least welcoming? That plastic sign was fine after the old lettering literally fell off the building, but now it's faded and ratty.

Family owned business that should not be allowed it make's the city look terrible.

Empty Buildings

Smart husband and wife team they do not send their child to the MPS.

Went to get a pass for the family to join the Melrose YMCA. I was amazed to see it had not been remolded for years. Taking my family to another YMCA.

New signs at Hugos. Coincidence?

Bruce
New signs at Hugos. Coincidence?[/quote NO shame or guilt. Only trying to make Melrose look nice.

Horace Mann was a big disappointment. Oldest daughter goes to Austin Prep and the other 3 to Mystic Valley.

Oh, ok, that explains the empty buildings.

Lorenzo and Emily
Horace Mann was a big disappointment. Oldest daughter goes to Austin Prep and the other 3 to Mystic Valley.

This is smart business couple and parents, learned fast in Melrose.

Everyone thinks your new sign looks great coming into Melrose. Thank You...

I love Hugo's'. I want to party with those guys!!!

Empty Glasses,

My biggest question for all these downtown projects......WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE GOING TO PARK? Because lets face it, when the Coffee, tea and me complex gets torn down, it is going to be put back up with residential on top and commercial on the bottom. Same exact thing for the breads and bits of Ireland complex at 530 Main St. And if you think this trend will halt after those two project you are higher than Willy Nelson. Now anytime a building needs to be torn down it will be rebuilt for res on top and com on bottom. When did our "quaint" down town turn into a little city? Time flies.

The square one mall is going under.

Curious
My biggest question for all these downtown projects......WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE GOING TO PARK? Because lets face it, when the Coffee, tea and me complex gets torn down, it is going to be put back up with residential on top and commercial on the bottom. Same exact thing for the breads and bits of Ireland complex at 530 Main St. And if you think this trend will halt after those two project you are higher than Willy Nelson. Now anytime a building needs to be torn down it will be rebuilt for res on top and com on bottom. When did our "quaint" down town turn into a little city? Time flies.

Soon it will be built back up to it's former glory. The 50s really turned it into a parking-centered nightmare. They should really return some of the second and third floor offices back to residential and put back the 2 stories that were removed from the top of the Starbucks/Gerry's building.

Bottom line, let them build residential and don't require parking. If people want to live there without cars, let them. There is a market for that. Let's not jack up construction prices for things people don't necessarily have or want.

The new signs look great. How about a paint job, Al and Robert?

Paint Job
The new signs look great. How about a paint job, Al and Robert?

Leave Hugos alone this is the season for AC. That sign I bet was sitting in a office for years.

its the time of the season for cheap whiskey and mountain dew

No ice cream store in Melrose that's so sad.

And SOCS is a ripoff!

Cloud 9 is an ice cream shop in the former Heavenly Licks site on Wyoming Avenue......Gail Infurna and her toy boy Mike Zwirko should work on the Wyoming neighborhood.....the dump of Ward 5 and Melrose!

Thank You Hugo's
Everyone thinks your new sign looks great coming into Melrose. Thank You...

I just noticed you have two signs looks great. A better Melrose.

Cloud 9
Cloud 9 is an ice cream shop in the former Heavenly Licks site on Wyoming Avenue......Gail Infurna and her toy boy Mike Zwirko should work on the Wyoming neighborhood.....the dump of Ward 5 and Melrose!

At the park by the common's, he has slush and ice cream too.

Willie
And SOCS is a ripoff!

What are you talking about? Cheaper than a lot of places I have been. If it's too expensive for you then do the economical thing and buy your **** ice cream and toppings from Market Basket and make your own. People want things for nothing. Get a job.

I suggest channeling your anger into something useful!

No ice cream for you...NEXT!

I do admit, that's funny!

The ice cream at soc's is expensive and not so good.

ice cream
The ice cream at soc's is expensive and not so good.

A kiddie ice cream at JP Licks is almost $5 for one scoop. Soc's is much less than that. What are you basing your cost comparison on?

The project taking place on the right side of the Lynn Fells Parkway is a adopted sight?

Rumor has it the car wash is being sold to make way for more condos? Not to mention directly across the street from Randy's that commercial property is also being turned into condos. Are they purposely trying to make sure no one can move come morning/evening rush hour? Obviously poking fun, not totally serious, but wow. Anywhere they can build, they're doing it.