Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: O'Connell to be MHS PTO President? & Site Council Representative?

Nobody cares who the PTO president is. They fund field trips that teachers request. They have nothing to do with academics, athletics or art programs. All of you bashers that are hoping that this is the big issue you can hook on to for your twisted agenda, think again. This is a non-issue.

The election of EOC is a travesty. PTO will not be getting my money.

nobody cares
Nobody cares who the PTO president is. They fund field trips that teachers request. They have nothing to do with academics, athletics or art programs. All of you bashers that are hoping that this is the big issue you can hook on to for your twisted agenda, think again. This is a non-issue.

If you believe what you wrote, that is very sad. If Parent-Teacher Organizations are irrelevant and no one cares, you reinforce the perception about what the school system has become in Melrose. Voting NO on the Override!

nobody cares

Below is the mission statement for the MHS PTO. It is amazing the ignorance of some people.

The purpose of Melrose High School PTO is to facilitate communication among parents, teachers, and school officials; and to support and provide programs that will enhance the academic and social environment of the school.

Thanks for the information but if I need to communicate with a teacher or school official I do just that, I communicate with them. I don't go to the PTO and I certainly don't do what most of the bashers on this board do...come out here and complain. My experience, like most others, has been that communicating with teachers and/or administrators is a very easy thing to do. If this is the only reason for the PTO then I would have no problem seeing it go away, or continue, I have no issue either way and I certainly don't care who the president is.

What the PTO does and the programs they sponsor and implement do impact students and their academic life while at the high school. Whether you want to realize this is based on your level of enlightenment.

resident
Interesting to note that no one wanted the position and Ed was asked to step up and only after he did that the other candidate, Liz Fousler at the eleventh hour put her name in the ring. Her action required a vote last night to suspend the bylaws for her name to be voted on. Ms Fowler neither sent someone to speak on her behalf or issued a written statement and was not in attendance as she was traveling. Interesting also to note that no one objects that Ed is on the site counsel, volunteering with Grad Night, working with Melrose Soccer and helping to introduce our students to civics in the middle school. Ed is making every effort to help our students and try to redeem himself for his past admittedly very bad actions. It would be nice if some of the trashers and bashers on this board and those who voted against him last night would show up and contribute in a positive way to our schools.

I agree, Ed is doing a lot to redeem himself and I think it's great! Have you forgotten that there are many other felons in Melrose? All of them do nothing to help the community or the schools.

Liz F. just put her name in the ring to run in hopes that this would prevent Ed from winning. She never wanted to job, and was not committed to it. So what does that say about her?

Oh, Please!
He has NOT paid for his crimes. Has every one of his victims been made whole? Until he pays back every dime he stole, he's just another convicted felon, not deserving of any consideration whatever. Ask his victims if they think he's "rehabilitated".

Exactly. I just don't understand why you people can't seem to get this. The first step towards "redeeming" himself is to pay back every single cent he stole. Exactly what part of this do you not understand?

If parents do not want to be involved in their children's schools that is their choice. If they are not committed to PTO's that is their choice. But don't expect me to support ($) their choices. Voting NO ON THE OVERRIDE . I'm sure that the victims who lost their savings because of Mr. O'Connell can't afford an override either and wouldn't believe that he would be elected to lead communication between parents, teachers and school officials of the district's "Flagship" school. The Mayor lauded the importance of PTO's raising money for the schools last night during his presentation to a joint meeting of the SC and BOA. Cognitive Dissonance anyone?

Not one more cent!
The Mayor lauded the importance of PTO's raising money for the schools last night during his presentation to a joint meeting of the SC and BOA. Cognitive Dissonance anyone?

RD is the reason this EoC has gotten any traction in this city since he pushed to allow him to get CORI'd and involved/approved by SC in that ridiculous Project Citizen thing several years ago. He was/is(?) a Dem political fundraiser (google him and you'll find references of his Somerville political fundraising). RD wants this guy around, maybe even for a future city solicitor if the guy ever gets back on the bar (hopefully not likely). They are narcissistic birds of a feather. RD said lots of foolish things in his speech last night, all with an overarching purpose of laying the groundwork for an Override and giving himself cover for all the things not being funded appropriately. Yes, Cognitive Dissonance is exactly the term for the colossal mess this district finds itself in, getting worse by the day it seems. This latest EoC outrage is symptomatic of so many kinds of dysfunction it's hard even to calculate where one mess begins or joins with another. Maybe the main players figure if they consume enough alcohol, it'll all go away. So it would appear the answer is in the approval of many more liquor licenses.

Poster above: "I agree, Ed is doing a lot to redeem himself and I think it's great! Have you forgotten that there are many other felons in Melrose? All of them do nothing to help the community or the schools. "

EOC does nothing for the schools that doesn't feed his ego and help him get legitimacy. He is a master manipulator who will charm those willing to be charmed and bully those seeing through him. When it comes down to actually doing some heavy lifting, EOC does virtually nothing for the school or for any of the committees. He acts as if, he dresses the part and talks the talk, but he actually does very little, if anything.

PTO is now defunct for many. I hope those other officers get ready to have all the work, if there is any, dumped on them. That is what he does. Notice he didn't volunteer for anything except president. All the form and no substance.

MHS
$hitstorm at MHS PTO meeting last night. Felon is now PTO Prez and on Site Council.

yes, it was quite the sh*tstorm. i found it impressive that at least a dozen people who haven't been to a single PTO meeting all year - or longer, if ever - felt the need to show up and lecture the rest of us about how we were being horrible bullies. sorry, i don't need someone showing up and screaming themselves red in the face about how i'm being a bully. if you want to show up, participate like an adult, and make a rational case for your side, i'm all for it. frothing at the mouth, though, is just a waste of my time - and also doesn't do much to support your candidate.

i also don't need a man telling the entire group that in his experience in multiple states, men aren't welcome at PTOs because PTOs are generally run by all women, and it's about time we elected a man to run the PTO so that other men will show up and participate. what a load of misogynistic cr*p. first off, sir, sorry to hear that you're so insecure in your masculinity that you're scared off by a group of your equals. secondly, i'll put money on the fact that even with EOC as president, you won't show up to a single meeting next year.

it was an utterly ridiculous parade of schoolyard bullying and ranting. i really believe that we, as a community, are capable of much better than this, and was disappointed by the circus act that showed up.

Not that I care much, but the last post about bullying wasn't that clear. Who was bullying whom and what was the issue?
Again, not that I care. In looking at their website, the PTO had a end of year balance last year of $5K. If the guy running it is a criminal, he isn't a very smart one if he wants to use this to get rich. Also, if you look at the agenda, all that the PTO does is buy digital cameras and the like when teachers ask for them. They also run the senior night and a few fundraiser to get their $5K per year. This is really much ado about nothing since the MHS PTO, like all high school PTO's really isn't very relevant to the student experience. Nevertheless, it makes for good Melrosemessages reading so please fill us in.

there were roughly a dozen or so people who have rarely if ever showed up at PTO meetings - but who chose to come to the last meeting, scream at folks who do regularly attend, accuse us of railroading EOC and treating him poorly because we're all bullies, tell us what a standup guy he is, and yell about how we'd done horrible things to EOC.

there are a whole lot of assumptions packed into what was hollered at us - that regular attendees didn't support EOC, that the vote was somehow predetermined, that making an independent choice that doesn't agree with their point of view is somehow bullying, and that we as adults aren't capable of coming to an informed conclusion on our own. i'd also submit that the people who felt the need to show up and scream aren't exactly diplomats.

the caliber of folks who showed up to defend EOC speaks quite a bit about the company that he keeps. and i find it fascinating that he needed a gallery of apologists to show up and make his case for him.

All good points, "Peanut gallery." I heard about this meeting and at first wished to have been present, but in retrospect am thankful there was a conflict. The described dysfunctions are a microcosm of a system that continues to be in free fall. Keep thinking that things have sunk to bedrock, but then it keeps nosediving lower. Very discouraging. And then the administrative spin surfaces, with glowing whitewash over a situation that seems to be some other parallel universe it's so far removed from the truth. That's alongside the blatant neglect, chronic failure to return phone calls/emails from administrators, basic incompetence and contempt of too many staff. No excuse for it!

peanut gallery

the caliber of folks who showed up to defend EOC speaks quite a bit about the company that he keeps. and i find it fascinating that he needed a gallery of apologists to show up and make his case for him.

Ed O'Connell took a page right out of Doughboy's play book. Pack the venue with sycophants who will call you mean spirited if you have a problem with his serving or Dolan's 26% raise. Even the guy from the Human Rights Commission spoke on Dolan's behalf. I think he was the one that called out anyone that was opposed to the raise "mean spirited". NICE!

Ed can surround himself with all the little fish he can muster. But in the eyes of the people that matter in the state and the bar association he is a felon of the highest order and will never get his ticket back. The old people of East Cambridge that he stole 160K from and has not repaid one dime of that money will show up enmasse at any hearing that he may go to to get his license back. And believe me. Judges listen to that.

The PTO is as good as it's gonna get for you Ed!

So much for the people at the meeting who said they didn"t know about Melrose Messages. I feel bad for all of your children if they ever make a mistake. I guess they will be disowned. Punishment forever and I guess no one deserves a second chance after many many years. So sad.

Liz only put her name in once she saw Ed's name there. He was volunteered for the position, he indicated that at the meeting. I understand she couldn't be there because she was on vacation (weren't her kids suppossed to be in school that day??). But she didn't even care enough to write something up to send with one of her supporters.

It was obviously to block him. That was childish.

And for the people saying the meeting was childish, you should have seen your own frothing, disbelieving , shaking faces.

Priceless.

I'll be at every meeting next year.

" Even the guy from the Human Rights Commission spoke on Dolan's behalf. I think he was the one that called out anyone that was opposed to the raise "mean spirited". NICE!"

Actually, that was the once highly esteemed Dr. Suzy Groden who sniped her nasty remark as she concluded her remarks for her darling Robbie. Pretty despicable conduct (and in fact mean-spirited in its own right), totally hypocritical, and not representing the tolerance her commission was supposed to be at the front of the city promoting. Ms. Lavender-Bird called her out most effectively and said that she sincerely hoped that the new commissioner would begin his new role by addressing that very conduct, and getting the HRC back on track as an organization promoting tolerance for dissenting views. That doesn't appear to have happened, but L-Bird was spot on.

Was there
So much for the people at the meeting who said they didn"t know about Melrose Messages. I feel bad for all of your children if they ever make a mistake. I guess they will be disowned. Punishment forever and I guess no one deserves a second chance after many many years. So sad.

It hasn't been "many many years" since Ed's theft. He was convicted about 10 years ago. So it's okay with you that a guy that robs old people of their savings and hasn't paid a single cent of it back should be allowed to assume a position of trust? Pay back the 160k first Eddie. Then go looking for legitimacy. But oh wait! You can continue to be the big fish in Ell Pond with the Swans. Don't expect Clark or Broduer of Dolan to stand beside you when you want them to. My guess is a great big disappearing act from the lot of them.

Was there
So much for the people at the meeting who said they didn"t know about Melrose Messages.

there were plenty of folks who had no idea that this board existed - you seem to be given to painting with a broad brush. since someone (you?) started screaming about it, i'm sure there are a few folks who decided to find out what put the bee in your bonnet. and you're entitled to your opinion of liz's candidacy - i'm not defending her actions, or lack thereof.

all i know about EOC is this: he was disbarred for stealing. period. other than that, i don't have enough data to know if he's a worthwhile candidate for anything. he may be a perfectly lovely guy to have a beer with, and a good friend of yours. fantastic. that has nothing to do with either of the offices he's run for so far.

Was there

good to know - thanks for the heads up![:)]

Ms F was performing with the Boston Symphony in China, hardly "on vacation." Her kids are no one's business but her family's.

More garbage remarks:
"But she didn't even care enough to write something up to send with one of her supporters.
It was obviously to block him. That was childish."

She cared and put her name in. She did not send a cabal to scream at others (THAT would have been "childish"!). So what if she didn't send a written statement! She is an MHS parent of several students, a respected member of the community with a track record of volunteering for many years. She got voted down by a cabal of which was made up of "members," many of whom had never been seen at any meeting prior, and probably won't be heard from again.

This nasty attempt to smear Ms. F, a dignified and worthy individual from a family whom the community takes pride in, is just another low tactic by EoC's bottom-feeding sycophants.

This is apparently the new "norm" (a Melrose School Committee favorite garbage word, along with their lists of "Big Bones and Little Bones"--priorities, etc.--can't make up stuff this ridiculous!) for the Melrose Schools and Melrose High. Truly embarrassing and reveals how low the culture in the district has sunk that these kinds of individuals would get any traction ever. EoC is gobbling up every micky-mouse position he can get himself elected or appointed to in his pathetic power grab. Really disgusting and sad.

Was there
So much for the people at the meeting who said they didn"t know about Melrose Messages.

Hey genius, you (they, whoever) screamed like a two year old about how unfair all the bullies were on this site did you really expect no one would stop by to see what the heck you were blathering about? I wasn't even there and heard far and wide all about the fun that went on, because of that I was curious and had to look in - and now that I am here I must say I have become highly amused by your post in particular. Your commitment to your own inventions are breathtaking!

I feel bad for all of your children if they ever make a mistake. I guess they will be disowned. Punishment forever and I guess no one deserves a second chance after many many years. So sad.

I am always amused when some people (looking at you Was there) just make stuff up and present it as reality. What you lack in fact you more than make up for in commitment to presumption and your own delusions.

Liz only put her name in once she saw Ed's name there. He was volunteered for the position, he indicated that at the meeting. I understand she couldn't be there because she was on vacation (weren't her kids suppossed to be in school that day??). But she didn't even care enough to write something up to send with one of her supporters.

It was obviously to block him. That was childish.

Again, do you actually use a crystal ball when you make this crap up? You have no idea what was going on inside Liz's head. The only thing that is "obvious" is you have convinced yourself that you can read minds. Again, I find this quite funny.

And for the people saying the meeting was childish, you should have seen your own frothing, disbelieving , shaking faces.

Priceless.

If half the crap that was said at the meeting was as disjointed and dimwitted as the things you just made up for this post the expressions you took for frothing may have actually been folks biting their cheeks to stifle their laughter. You are very, very, funny was there. The appearance that you do not seem to know this only makes your ranting even more hysterical.

Promise? Because if you really are going to every meeting - I'll be there too. I find your smug commitment to fantasy land darling and absolutely hysterical.

For the record I think EOC is a charming guy, I wouldn't let him anywhere near MY money but I think he's a pleasant enough fellow.

"For the record I think EOC is a charming guy,"
Most effective con men are.

"I wouldn't let him anywhere near MY money"

smart!

but I think he's a pleasant enough fellow."

again, Most con artists are perfectly charming.

The story of what happened at the PTO meeting is all over town by now. The members who were unaware that Ed was being criticized on Melrose Messages, or who didn't even know what Melrose Messages was, must all know by now.

Here are some facts;

*A vote was to be taken on who would be PTO president next year. One candidate, Liz, could not be there as she was traveling.

*There were many new faces at this meeting, predominantly friends of Eds who had never attended a PTO meeting this year, (or possibly ever)

*Each candidate was to be given five minutes to make a short speech. Ed made his speech. The PTO president asked if anyone would like to speak on Liz's behalf. No one there had formally been asked to speak for Liz, but a few people who knew her tried to give some background on her, sharing that she had been a dedicated volunteer at the Roosevelt school.

*Friends of Ed's began making negative comments about Liz's candidacy and questioning why she didn't e-mail a statement in, why she wasn't there, and speculating as to why her candidacy was so "last minute".

* Some individuals who knew Liz attempted to explain that she HAD given a great deal of thought to running, was concerned about the time commitment; initially she considered running for co-president, but had questions about whether she could do this, because of the way the bylaws were written. This was the reason for the delay in her candidacy announcement. It was also mentioned that communicating while traveling internationally can be difficult, which may have been why she had not sent a formal statement.

* It was assumed that it was time to vote, as everyone had said their piece.

* At this point in the meeting, a friend of Eds, who is also a member of the Melrose High School site counsel, stood up and had a meltdown, screaming at all the regular attendees and accusing everyone on the PTO of being a "part of a witch hunt" against Ed, and of "being a bunch of bullies" and of attacking him on Melrose Messages. She then screamed that "I can't stand being in the same room with you people" and stormed out.

* Several regular members of the PTO expressed confusion over the allegations, and were justifiably offended at the outburst. A few had never heard of Melrose Messages. It was pointed out that this group of individuals ( friends of Eds) who had shown up to make accusations against PTO members they did not even know had never appeared at PTO meeting before.

* The vote was taken, and Ed won.

Those are the facts. There was no PTO conspiracy against Ed. Most of the regular members were there because they attend every month, not because they were coming just to vote for a specific candidate. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if PTO membership drops considerably after the verbal abuse the regular members took from Ed's friend on the site counsel.

It appears that Ed won "fair & square" so now let's see what he does as the new PTO president! I'm sure his leadership and activities in the PTO will be carefully scrutinized during his tenure. Time to move on!

Gee, how nice and comforting. Myron has declared Ed the winner and is going to let us now move on.

What a Pompous Ass

How nice
Gee, how nice and comforting. Myron has declared Ed the winner and is going to let us now move on.

What a Pompous Ass

Thank you! Some people just need a kick in the posterior to end the conversation and move on to other important matters!

EOC did not win fair and square. He loaded the election with people who never attended a PTO meeting and probably won't again. He or his groupies insulted the opposing candidate and made misrepresentations about the other candidate who could not be in attendance. He bullied others into not opposing him. He pulled the victim card when he is the bully and certainly no victim. Nothing fair or square about that or him.

Oh, and Ed would not have won if only the regular members had voted. Even with his groupies, Ed did won by a very small margin.

parent
The story of what happened at the PTO meeting is all over town by now. The members who were unaware that Ed was being criticized on Melrose Messages, or who didn't even know what Melrose Messages was, must all know by now.

Those are the facts. There was no PTO conspiracy against Ed. Most of the regular members were there because they attend every month, not because they were coming just to vote for a specific candidate. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if PTO membership drops considerably after the verbal abuse the regular members took from Ed's friend on the site counsel.

nice rundown of the meeting, parent, and thanks for posting this. much clearer description than what i offered - i'm still riled by the abuse and the misogyny.

I ask you, if there is a sex offender out working in the school's would there be an outcry?

We all know the answer is YES.

So he committed the sex crime 10 years ago he served his time so let him work.

Now lets get to Ed he conned people out of millions and he stole and was found GUILTY!

So 10 years ago is good for him but not a sex crime?

Where is the reasoning?

Just to clarify PTO Mom, O'Connell did not "con people out of millions". All but $37,000 was paid back and that amount is now part of his parole.

Did he do something illegal? Yes.
Did he steal "Millions" of dollars? No.

It is all relative isn't it? A million or a few hundred thousand. To his victims, I am sure that whatever the exact amount, it was more than they could afford to lose and probably felt like millions to them. Money returned years later somehow doesn't really make up for the theft at the time. How about someone takes your 200K now and gives it back in installments ten years later? Good deal?

So, what should he do? Go be a hermit and never show his face again? Seriously....do you think he should ever be allowed to serve/hold office? When, if not 10 years later? 15? 20? 50?

How about a drunk driver who kills someone? Someone who is busted for selling drugs as a 20 year old? A guy who is arrested for being with a prostitute? A woman who is arrested for shoplifting? Insurance fraud? Can people ever escape their pasts?

Hey "Wondering":

EoC is not the victim here, so his sob story is not relevant. If he were genuinely contrite and wanted to make up for what he did and make a difference, there are plenty of ways he could do that without (1) running for office, (2) seeking political power in his childrens' various schools, (2) seeking positions that involve easy access to other people's money. Mercy is one thing, and it is not the same as EoC earning trust. He hasn't, and the way he's gone about things in his power grabs, it's clear that the same personality defects that led to his feeling entitled to dip into others' money is the same defect that allows him to think he's entitled to the trust of this community. He hasn't earned it and he isn't entitled to it. The way he commandeered the PTO position demonstrates more of his true colors--bringing a cast of bullies to besiege his way into enough votes to put him in the winning column. Well great. They say that in politics and love it's all allowed. But not when it comes to schools, children, or earned trust.

Read the court transcripts on the other strings and add that to the recent conduct. It equals a sordid picture where ego, a quest for power, narcissism, a willingness to bully matter more than anything else. Defend that all if you must. But don't equate a desire to be a pawn in this narcissist's scheme to human mercy or anything approaching dignified and contrite service.

To wondering, putting aside all your hypotheticals and sticking with EOC, he should be allowed to participate when he changes his ways. Thus far, he has been a bully and not played fair and square. When he learns to play by the rules that apply to all is when he will be welcomed. When he is sincere in his efforts to help others in his volunteerism and not only in it to attain legitimacy for himself, then he will have become a better person than he was and have shown that he has learned from his crimes. Rehabilitation and deterrence are hopefully what he gained from his punishment. This latest debacle does not show that he has changed his ways. He could have done the work for PTO in any number of ways. But he chose to be a devisive force when he ran for president, insulted the regulars, insulted the opposing candidate and brought in his groupies to get his way. This is not the behavior of a changed person. This is the behavior of someone who throws a tantrum and manipulates the system and people when he does not get what he wants when he wants.

And furthermore, if this guy supposedly thought he should be on the school committee, where has he been? He hasn't attended a single meeting since he lost the election. That's not what someone does when they are supposedly so committed to a role. Same with DeS and JK. Where are they? Gerry M is there every week still working hard, and doing the homework on each and every issue, regardless of whether you like what he's saying or not. These others are all poseurs and interested only in the power. When that doesn't work out, they're gone. Some commitment! Anyone who has been part of that senior party committee knows who's doing the heavy lifting and who is a fake just in it for the title and influence.

Nope, Melrose is not smart for letting this guy get a foothold in any of it. But history is just repeating itself. Sooner or later the truth will win in the end. Hopefully no one will get ripped off, but no reason to trust anything where this one is concerned. Also no reason to invest alongside. No more donations to any cause where he's involved, or where his pitbull crew of bullies asks for support either.

Is it true that no one wanted to run for PTO pres and he was asked to?

Done says: "When he learns to play by the rules that apply to all is when he will be welcomed. When he is sincere in his efforts to help others in his volunteerism and not only in it to attain legitimacy for himself, then he will have become a better person than he was and have shown that he has learned from his crimes."

Who decides when he (or any criminal) will be welcomed? What should his path be to redemption be? Who decides if it's been a "legitimate" path? If EOC was off helping orphans in a third world country, wouldn't there still be those talking about his self-serving ways?

For the record, I don't believe anyone on the PTO is losing sleep over who gets to be PTO president and make important decisions like whether to bring cookies or brownies to Sophomore/Junior College Night. I don't think anyone was emotionally invested in the outcome, or else they would have run for it themselves, or got groups of friends to come support a particular candidate.

There are apparently people in the community who have issues with Ed's involvement in the schools, and they have come to this board to make their feelings known. This has nothing to do with the PTO.

What is unfortunate is that Ed's friends somehow made the leap of logic that a group of parents they don't even know are responsible for comments made on some anonymous message board, and had conspired to somehow derail their friend's candidacy. These are the parents of their children's peers, who were screamed at and insulted, who certainly won't want to continue attending meetings or supporting the PTO financially.

If the goal of the PTO is to welcome parents and increase parental involvement at the High School, this was an epic fail.

Yes, "parent," but beyond that this was another fail by the principal, who has set this in motion by giving the guy a foothold validating him with a position on the site council. She should have demonstrated some leadership and backbone and stopped that precedent setter, and now she has this guy as the point person representing parents on both bodies. Her excuse that no one else ran is lame and unacceptable because she could have been effective in soliciting appropriate members of the parent body to come forward. Whether either body does their stated roles well or appropriately is now a moot point because both are stained with the membership and "leadership" of a convicted felon who is now also showing how low he will stoop to achieve what little power these positions entail, manipulating, bullying, anything....

Ultimately this is a failure of the principal and superintendent to set decent standards and uphold them, both in terms of basic conduct and in appropriate procedures/expectations. If in fact bylaws were changed by the PTO just to accommodate the other candidate, that is also an example of inappropriate management because bylaws are supposed to be changed only after careful and timely consideration. But this is the same administration that has allowed a superintendent to have a raging temper tantrum swearing at a member of the public (during a televised meeting, not that it would have been better done in private) in addition to a pattern of grossly intemperate remarks all over the place, which revels in redrafting policies and procedures with such vigorous officiousness as to make it almost humorous, that allows gross misconduct by staff, looks the other way at student cheating and continues to promote students as their Chosen Ones even when it's well known some have behaved inappropriately, and on and on.

What's most unfortunate is that the PTO, for example, is supposed to function as a support body for the entire school, improving communication and helping draw in all stakeholders for the betterment of the school--students, teachers, community. This PTO has cut off its nose to spite its face. Not only will the overall benefit be reduced, there is now harm as well. Where it was a basically benign body that occasionally had a mildly positive impact, it is now part of the negative culture, where the prevalent toxicity has infected it.

Wondering
Who decides when he (or any criminal) will be welcomed? What should his path be to redemption be? Who decides if it's been a "legitimate" path?

the answer is we each get to decide for ourselves. what passes muster for me may not pass muster for you, and vice versa. and since this applies to a candidate, i'll say that this is the beauty of democracy - we each get to decide for ourselves how we rate candidates and how we'd like to vote.

peanut gallery
The answer is we each get to decide for ourselves. what passes muster for me may not pass muster for you, and vice versa. and since this applies to a candidate, i'll say that this is the beauty of democracy - we each get to decide for ourselves how we rate candidates and how we'd like to vote.

Holy shi t. That has to be the first question I've ever seen on this board that was answered with a completely unbiased answer.

WOW! Maybe there is hope.................nah, must be a typo

Drafted?
Is it true that no one wanted to run for PTO pres and he was asked to?

i've heard both versions; wasn't part of whatever conversation happened, so it's a little hard to know. in the past, with this and several other PTOs, candidates are sometimes voluntold to participate, so it could be a little of both. having said that - i've never seen anyone nominated without their agreement to participate.

Was there

well, clearly that didn't extend to tonight's planning meeting and EOC's inaugural foray as leader. sorry to have missed your smiling face, was there.

oh, and? no more guys showed up, either. so much for the guy who said that other guys would participate if a guy was in charge.

Can everyone be kind on this board, at least for this week? This includes our favorite daily poster who loves to refer to everything going on in Melrose as a disgrace, as well as the originator of this string, which was uncalled for.

1 2