Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
List of Colleges of MHS Accepted Students

A message from MELROSE HIGH SCHOOL

Today is a special day: We are announcing the list of colleges that have accepted Melrose High School seniors. This list is really something to be proud of: This year, as every year, our Melrose High students have been accepted into a full range of colleges and universities, including the top schools in the country.

Arcadia University
Assumption College
Baldwin Wallace University
Barry University
Baylor University
Becker College
Bentley University
Berklee College of Music
Boston College
Boston University
Brandeis University
Bridgewater State University
Bridgton Academy
Brown University
Bryant University
Bunker Hill Community College
Clark University
Clemson University
Coastal Carolina University
Colby-Sawyer College
Columbia College Chicago
Connecticut College
Curry College
Cushing Academy
Daniel Webster College
Daytona State College
Drew University
Drexel University
Duquesne University
Durham University
Earlham College
Elmira College
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University – FL
Emerson College
Emmanuel College
Endicott College
Fairfield University
Fisher College
Fitchburg State University
Fordham University
Framingham State University
Franciscan University of Steubenville
Franklin Pierce University
George Mason University
Georgetown University
Gordon College
Goucher College
Hartwick College
Harvard College
Hofstra University
Ithaca College
James Madison University
Johnson & Wales University
Johnson & Wales University (Providence)
Keene State College
Lafayette College
Lasell College
Lesley University
Limestone College
Loyola University Maryland
Loyola University New Orleans
Maine Maritime Academy
Marymount Manhattan College
McGill University
MCPHS – Massachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
Merrimack College
Middlesex Community College
Mount Holyoke College
Mount Ida College
Mount Saint Mary College
Muhlenberg College
Nazareth College
New England College
New York University
Newbury College
Nichols College
North Shore Community College
Northeastern University
Norwich University
Pace University, New York City
Pennsylvania State University, University Park
Plymouth State University
Providence College
Purdue University
Queen’s University
Quinnipiac University
Regis College
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Rhode Island College
Rivier University
Roger Williams University
Rollins College
Sacred Heart University
Saint Anselm College
Saint Joseph’s University
Salem State University
Salve Regina University
School of the Museum of Fine Arts
Seton Hall University
Simmons College
Smith College
Southern New Hampshire University
Springfield College
St. John Fisher College
St. John’s University – Queens Campus
St. Lawrence University
St. Norbert College
State University of New York at Albany
Stetson University
Stonehill College
Stony Brook University
Suffolk University
SUNY College at Cobleskill
Susquehanna University
Syracuse University
The College of Saint Rose
The Culinary Institute of America
The George Washington University
The University of Alabama
The University of Arizona
The University of Tampa
Towson University
Trinity College
Tufts University
University College London
University of Bridgeport
University of Chicago
University of Colorado at Boulder
University of Connecticut
University of Delaware
University of Edinburgh
University of Hartford
University of Maine
University of Mary Washington
University of Maryland, College Park
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
University of Massachusetts, Boston
University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth
University of Massachusetts, Lowell
University of Miami
University of New England
University of New England
University of New Hampshire
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
University of North Carolina at Wilmington
University of North Dakota
University of Rhode Island
University of Rochester
University of Saint Joseph
University of South Carolina
University of Southern Maine
University of St. Andrews
University of Vermont
University of Wyoming
Villanova University
Wagner College
Wentworth Institute of Technology
Western New England University
Westfield State University
Wheaton College MA

Re: List of Colleges of MHS Accepted Students

That's a good list of schools and there were a number of Melrose kids accepted to some of the top ones. A couple of kids at Brown, a bunch of kids at Northeastern and BU, a few/several kids at Bentley, Fordham, NYU, Tufts, Villanova, WPI, RPI and then single admits at Harvard, G-Town, Berklee, BC a few more NESCAC's. Real good work, not to mention many, many Melrose kids admitted to Quinnipiac, UNH, Bryant, Fairfield and a few other great schools. A tip of the hat goes to the kids who thought big and were admitted to some great out of State University's...James Madison, University of North Carolina, U-Maryland, Alabama, Wyoming, UVM, Purdue, Clemson, Syracuse and a real tip to the kids looking internationally and were admitted to St. Andrews and University of Edinburgh. Melrose also has dozens of kids admitted to UMASS Lowell and Amherst in their honors engineering an business programs...which is no small feat these days.

An eclectic group of great schools from one of the best MHS classes, both athletically and academically, Melrose has had in a while.

Congratulations MHS Class of 2014. You all have very bright futures in front of you and have made Melrose very proud of your accomplishments in the classroom, on the fields and in the auditorium where your artistic and musical talents are unmatched in Massachusetts.

I personally know one young woman who was accepted at six different schools on that list - oh, wait. Oops!

Pretty Nice
Congratulations MHS Class of 2014. You all have very bright futures in front of you and have made Melrose very proud of your accomplishments in the classroom, on the fields and in the auditorium where your artistic and musical talents are unmatched in Massachusetts.

What a bunch of pure unadulterated horse$hit! [:))]

Great list. Expect the haters to try to marginalize the list, as one has already done. It is often used as a talking point by the haters when MHS does not have someone going to Harvard, but then marginalized when MHS does send students to the Ivies (again!). They just hate good news for Melrose schools.
Regardless of your views, this list only proves one thing…if you want to get into an Ivy league school, MHS is a viable option. Everything else is just opinion.
Good job graduates!

MHS forgot to include Bard and Skidmore on that list.

Yes...I hope you congratulated this young woman on the wonderful opportunities she has in front of her based on all of her hard work and her MHS degree. That is a great accomplishment. Makes me proud that Melrose High can offer such great opportunities to the children of Melrose

LMFAO - The haters always come out. This MHS class has many, many kids going to great colleges, multiple Middlesex league titles, more playoff berths, individual state champions and league all-stars and all scholastics. The music department has the best student orchestra around, the band is a champion caliber marching band and the art work these kids do is amazing...but your too hung up on your inadequate little pee pee syndrome and hatred because MHS just didn't work for you...or your limited spawn...so you:

1) Hate,Whine & Complain, and/or
2) Ship your kid to a second rate parochial school for $15,000 a year.

Here is a list you should put together as it dribbles out in the news papers over the coming months:

Put all of the college acceptances of "MELROSE" residents who are currently attending local parochial schools and the charter school together. Add to the list those Melrose kids that received All League or All Scholastic recognition in any sport at these schools, participated in their schools orchestra, marching band or had individual work presented in their schools art show...then right next to it put your kids SAT scores and GPA down, roll it all up in a ball and choke on it.

The success of the MHS kids in all areas completely blows away the collective successes of the kids who cut bait and ran because MHS was just a little too tough for them. Then go give your kid a kick in the @ss for being too lazy to take advantage of what MHS has to offer. It either cost you $60,000 somewhere else, or your kids flushing down the toilet at MHS, or at the island of misfit toys known as the Charter School.

In what alternate universe do you spend most of your time? [:)s]

LMFAO....which part do you object to?

LMFAO lives in the complete State of Denial. It's easy to live in that State when the actual results of a school system and a group of students fly completely in the face of all the baseless accusations, false information and lies you have been spewing on MM to justify why A) your kid can't cut it at MHS, and/or B) you're $60,000 lighter in the wallet and your kid is on target to go to the same colleges are Melrose kids are going for free.

The truth struck a nerve and all LMFAO could do was stick the head in the sand.

State of Denial
LMFAO lives in the complete State of Denial. It's easy to live in that State when the actual results of a school system and a group of students fly completely in the face of all the baseless accusations, false information and lies you have been spewing on MM to justify why A) your kid can't cut it at MHS, and/or B) you're $60,000 lighter in the wallet and your kid is on target to go to the same colleges are Melrose kids are going for free.

The truth struck a nerve and all LMFAO could do was stick the head in the sand.

The truth? You wouldn't know the truth if it crawled up behind you and bit you on the a$$. Say it enough times and maybe you'll begin to believe it yourself. The truth is MHS is a third class school, and produces, with some notable exceptions, third class results. Incidentally, all three of my kids were very successful at MHS, and in college as well, but that was back when MHS wasn't the sewer it is now. If you think today's MHS is something to crow about, your name must be Ed Norton.

And I'm not denigrating the kids, either. They're stuck with what they're provided, which is not much.

The nasty VUVU moonbats have been unleashed.... They want us all to think that the only reason anyone would be critical of the sainted MHS is because our kids "couldn't cut it," couldn't pass MCAS (utter foolishness, since that is such a low bar), or is having regret over paying tuition at a private or parochial school. This is all just specious nonsense.

Plenty of people who are strong supporters of MHS and who have their kids there are critical, and for plenty of solid reasons based entirely in fact. None of that legitimate criticism in any way minimizes the real accomplishments of the students at Melrose High School. Only an insecure, small-minded fool could make such silly and nasty deductions as these moonbats. They must be incredibly insecure about the general state of affairs if they have to protest so mightily! But then there is much to be insecure about, which even a casual observation would reveal.

LMFAO, you are either full of crap or mentally ill. 3 kids that did great at MHS and college and are out of the system...yet you feel the need to make sarcastic remarks about the accomplishments of kids that are part of a system you no longer have anything to do with....Nice try.

You really are a stupid flogger, aren't you? Exactly what part of this did you not understand? "And I'm not denigrating the kids, either. They're stuck with what they're provided, which is not much."

My "sarcasm" was directed entirely at the miserable excuse for a school system we provide (or don't provide). The poor kids are the victims of it.

BTW dipwad, as long as my tax dollars contribute to this so-called school system, I do have something to do with it. As I said, you wouldn't know the truth if it crawled up behind you and bit you on the a$$.

"mhs"...I agree with you that there are some strong supporters of MHS that have some criticism of the high school. That is admirable and somewhat expected in a district of this size.
Where I completely disagree is the contention that any of those strong supporters are on this message board. The strong supporters with criticisms deal directly with their child’s teachers or the school administrators. Any long time reader of this board knows that this a cess pool for parents that made other choices for their students. They have buyers’ remorse and this is a place where they vent. Nothing folks like you and your ilk (there it is!) hate worse than positive news for the district.
Again, all of this is opinion. There is only one fact that has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. If you live in Melrose and you want to send your child to an Ivy league school, MHS is a viable option and there is no tuition required.

LMFAO and Revisionist history below please find the post that prmpted your initial response. Tell me where your sarcasm is? You are a liar and a fraud.

Here is the bottom line with the Melrose messages Haters. Just because you really wish it, and hope its true, doesn't make it a fact. The class of 2014 gained entrance into great schools. FACT. The football team, volleyball team, Lacrosse team, tennis team, gymnastics team and track teams did win League Championships.FACT Many of the other teams made deep playoff runs, Many of the kids were all league and a few were all scholastic. The track and cross country kids won individual league championships, the band and orchestra members are unbelievable at what they do.FACT It drives the haters crazy when Melrose kids find success at MHS...and you think it's "a bunch of pure unadulterated horsesh*t!" That's the truth. If your kids did find success at MHS you wouldn't be the cynical low life flip flopper that you are. FACT. Enjoy paying your tax bills. I enjoy paying mine. My dollars are doing great things for the kids in Melrose.

"Congratulations MHS Class of 2014. You all have very bright futures in front of you and have made Melrose very proud of your accomplishments in the classroom, on the fields and in the auditorium where your artistic and musical talents are unmatched in Massachusetts."

"What a bunch of pure unadulterated horse$hit!"

tafka VuVu
Any long time reader of this board knows that this a cess pool for parents that made other choices for their students. They have buyers’ remorse and this is a place where they vent. Nothing folks like you and your ilk (there it is!) hate worse than positive news for the district.

Unbelievable! VuVu, you are either totally full of $hit, or as dumb as a stump. I'll post it again, so that even a simpleton like you can understand it. "Incidentally, all three of my kids were very successful at MHS, and in college as well, but that was back when MHS wasn't the sewer it is now." Where exactly does that say I made other choices and now have buyers remorse? I get that you have some serious reading comprehension problems, but even a nitwit like you should be able to see that. Yeah, yeah, I know..........it doesn't fit your agenda, so you ignore it.

The truth
Tell me where your sarcasm is?

You really are an idiot, aren't you? Sarcasm was the word you used. That's why I put it in quotations. You do know what quotes are for, don't you? I would have chosen disgust as my word, or maybe contempt, which is what I have for the apologists who believe that everything is just hunky dory and then attack anyone who says otherwise with this "Melrose hater" garbage.

I see you emphasize the extracurricular stuff, and sort of gloss over the academics, which - correct me if I'm wrong - is the primary purpose of a school system. The fact is, academics are in the toilet. I'm not even going to bother listing all the examples - you know what they are.

You go right on believing in whatever bizzarre alternate reality you inhabit. The fact remains that your posts are "a bunch of pure unadulterated horse$hit".

I find myself wondering why, if everyone who posts anything on this board is just another "Melrose hater" who feels driven to lash out at anything "positive" about the school system, is suffering from "buyer's regret" because they sent their kids somewhere other than MHS, and should just be ignored, that people like VuVu and The Truth spend so much time and effort attempting to rebut those posters.

It is wonderful to think that kids from MHS would be accepted to the schools on this list, but the list itself distorts reality. The most successful applicants from the top of the class no doubt represent the acceptances to the most prestigious schools on this list. So one or two students could be solely responsible for the inclusion of, for example, Harvard, BC, NYU, Brandeis, and Brown on this list. If so, then congratulations to those few students, but what does it say for the remainder of the class?

A much more interesting and probative list would be a list of colleges MHS seniors are actually enrolled in for next year. On that list, each student would be counted exactly once. If each student can be counted only once, I wonder how many of the most prestigious schools on the list would still be on there.

Real facts
It is wonderful to think that kids from MHS would be accepted to the schools on this list, but the list itself distorts reality. The most successful applicants from the top of the class no doubt represent the acceptances to the most prestigious schools on this list. So one or two students could be solely responsible for the inclusion of, for example, Harvard, BC, NYU, Brandeis, and Brown on this list. If so, then congratulations to those few students, but what does it say for the remainder of the class?

A much more interesting and probative list would be a list of colleges MHS seniors are actually enrolled in for next year. On that list, each student would be counted exactly once. If each student can be counted only once, I wonder how many of the most prestigious schools on the list would still be on there.

You hit the nail exactly on the head.

LMFAO - You ducked the issue. There was a compliment posted about the achievements of MHS Students and you called it Unadulterated BS. Your a clown and a fraud.

Wondering - The same reason anyone who posts anything positive about MHS gets called all kinds of names. Its what you get on a POS anonymous blog like Melrose Messages. Grow up, stop whining.

Real Facts and MHS. That would be a great list. I'd like to put it right next to the list of all of the Melrose residents that graduated from local parochial/charter schools this year with the colleges they wind up going to. Right next to that all of the all league & all star designations, all scholastic designations and League champion teams they were part of, along with those who participated in their schools orchestra and marching band programs.

The comparison would be humiliating for the charter school and the local parochial schools...which is why you will never see it here or anywhere else. MHS graduates completely destroy the collective academic, athletic and artistic results of those Melrose residents that left and that is a REAL FACT.

"The truth" is actually Vuvu, who is a rabid fanatic who simply must get on here to sing the praises of MHS and her faves on the school committee. She cannot put a rational thought together, always falling back on the crazed notion that "buyer's remorse" must have something to do with what drives the "haters" who dare to criticize her beloved object of obsession. This poster is a tired broken record with a very sick fixation, something that has a bizarre tie to those leaving the district for other schools. The charter is the first object of derangement, then the parochial and private school families, as if they somehow threaten her very existence. Their education choice is construed in her sick mind to indicate a whole slew of bizarre notions--that they were somehow dodging the MCAS for their kids who couldn't cut it (silly) or that they are somehow flinging criticisms at MHS because they're regretful about paying tuition for private/parochial school (ridiculous). Actual facts are of no concern to this poster, only her bizarre obsession.[:|]

"I find myself wondering why............people like VuVu and The Truth spend so much time and effort attempting to rebut those posters.

The truth
Wondering - The same reason anyone who posts anything positive about MHS gets called all kinds of names. Its what you get on a POS anonymous blog like Melrose Messages. Grow up, stop whining.

What? Your answer makes absolutely no sense.

You'll see that list soon. Usually published in The Imprint, I believe, and perhaps in the local paper. Then we can all come back and yell at each other some more and call each other names and all that fun stuff. Yeah, MM!!

First of all, congratulations to all of the students who worked hard and got accepted to the colleges on that list; I am pleased to see such a great list of schools, both public and private. Many of the schools listed are very selective, and it really reflects well on our students that they were accepted to these schools. I am also happy to see such geographic diversity, and that MHS students are venturing beyond New England. I think this list is one of the most impressive lists I have seen in several years.

I also agree with posters who point out that the local Catholic and charter schools list of college acceptances would not look much different than this, and may in fact be less impressive.

However, I also agree that "acceptance lists" put out by high schools can be deceiving. Many of the top students are applying to ten or more schools each; that means that the top 6 students could account for over 60 acceptances. Even with some overlap, it is quite possible that a relatively small number of students are responsible for the more selective schools listed. MHS is not the only school to post acceptance lists, many schools do because it tends to look more impressive. A more accurate list would be where students will be attending next year. That information used to be found on the guidance website, but there is now virtually no info on the new guidance section since the district updated it's website.

The good news is, even if these acceptances are the result of the hard work done by a small number of students, it means that parents of very bright, accomplished, hard working young people are keeping their kids in the district. This is a good thing for Melrose, as these families are far more likely to advocate for students and be more involved; they are more likely to speak up when there is a problem.

Overall, a positive result for Melrose students, but I do hope one of the local papers asks the HS for the list of schools graduates will attend, as it will give a much more accurate picture.

Please do not believe the IMPRINT. The Admin and the Staff were too lazy (or mean) to actually follow up with students. Lot's of unknowns published next to students names, kind of unprecedented in fact. Previous IMPRINT staff made an effort before publishing the final list.

Ironic since we all know that they had our email addresses.

Brown, Princeton, Yale, Naval Academy, BC, BU, NYU, Rutgers, Tufts and many others. Another impressive year for MHS graduates. Congratulations all!

Parent
Overall, a positive result for Melrose students, but I do hope one of the local papers asks the HS for the list of schools graduates will attend, as it will give a much more accurate picture.

Wait a minute - you are asking this school administration to be "more accurate"? We can't even get them to give us honest budget numbers and to be transparent with the numbers - and now you expect them to give us an "accurate picture" of student college acceptances?

Where have you been for the past 3 years since we hired Gustapo Taymore? Wait in line for honesty, truthfulness, and transparency!

The list of acceptances measures our students performance, where they end up enrolling measures the amount of financial aid they may receive as well as a host of other family factors. Oh and the list on this string dates from 2014, the current list for 2015 is available on the city home page. Congrats to all our graduates wherever they may have gone to school.

Here is the link to the list....

https://mayordolansblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/04/great-news-from-mhs-college-acceptances-are-in/

Love to see the Melrose High School kids doing great things. Congratulations to all and to the great teachers and staff that helped them along in their journeys.

Yes it is a great list, but don't mis-interpret this. Students typically apply for multiple schools and receive multiple acceptances (and this is a credit to their hard work). They typically make a choice based on which school can provide the better financial aid package. We need to be concentrate on the students who didn't get to a place where they were accepted to any colleges because they were left behind by the MPS system.

In past years guidance revealed how many applied to each school, how many were accepted (not being afraid to reveal the actual numbers of how many might have been rejected), and how many matriculated at each school. That was a much more real set of statistics. What isn't shown by this fluffed-up list is how many of those acceptances were actually going to one particular student, because they want it to appear as if there were many. You also will never know how many come back after a month or two because they found out they couldn't cut it, that between bad guidance sending them to schools not appropriate for their skills or interests and grade inflation, there are many bad fits that don't work out at all. That's not to take away anything from those students who worked hard and achieved well. Kudos to all who put in the honest effort and won based on real accomplishments. For the others, we're sorry for the demoralizing you will go through and hope you don't party yourself into oblivion because of the depression many of you will face.

That is right. This list of college acceptances is terrible. Everything about Melrose is terrible. People need to quit breaking the board rules by posting positive things about our schools and students. And when anything positive is posted, it must be refuted and/or beaten down as an anomaly immediately. So thank you facts for doing so, thus keeping the mean spirited nature of this board alive and well.

Grow up

Facts is just another Bozo on the Melrose Messages Circus Train. My guess is the post comes from first hand experience with alcohol abuse and depression. I have been in Melrose for 40 years and have never seen guidance publish a list of matriculation. There is a list, just not published in the paper, of how many kids got into each school. You simply need to ask guidance for it. As disappointing as it is for Facts and the rest of the clowns there were multiple kids from this MHS class getting into multiple great schools...and they all earned it. Most of the ills Facts wants to place on the public school system start at home and Facts house is ground zero.

Brilliant strategy, denigrate to show how "different" YOU are!

Bite me Willie. No criticism of posts that denigrate if they agree with your position...as plenty on this string have. You're a hypocrite and a bozo.

"Clown Patrol" (aka KakaVuvu) has some issues. Regardless of her 40 years here, facts remain a troublesome thing, particularly in her need for rabid defense of anything MHS. She really needs some new pom-poms because her old ones are getting pretty tired and rotten.

Masked Moron, stick to the bleeping subject matter. "Facts" the depressed alcoholic made several false statements in the post, and the wee willie perpetuated the lies. Lets examine Facts statements:

1) In past years guidance revealed how many applied to each school, how many were accepted and how many matriculated at each school.

That's a bald faced lie. Never happened.

2)What isn't shown by this fluffed-up list is how many of those acceptances were actually going to one particular student, because they want it to appear as if there were many.

Bald faced lie #2. Guidance issues a spreadsheet with the number of kids admitted to each school. You just need to ask for it.

3) Kudos to all who put in the honest effort and won based on real accomplishments. For the others, we're sorry for the demoralizing you will go through and hope you don't party yourself into oblivion because of the depression many of you will face.

What a load of garbage. here is where facts personal shortcomings and those of the children really kick in. Talk about denigrating a group of people.

Willie the Weasel doesn't pick up on that though. It doesn't fit his agenda. Neither do you.

I think the Masked Moron, Facts and Willie the Weasel should all pile into a little clown car in their little clown outfits and show up at MHS graduation to cheer on all of these phenomenal kids, who had a great 4 years at MHS and are on to great colleges and universities.

Clown Patrol
Masked Moron, stick to the bleeping subject matter. "Facts" the depressed alcoholic made several false statements in the post, and the wee willie perpetuated the lies...

Debate101 - When your argument is falling apart, make up insulting names.

KKVV can only operate in that crazed space where facts don't matter. Guidance most certainly did publish complete lists about college applications & admittances, right on the district website, along with school committee materials for meetings, with how many applied, were/weren't admitted, etc. CT made sure that this complete information no longer surfaces. Now it's just the puffery list, which can easily mean one student admitted into 10-12 or more schools. No sane person would want to denigrate any student's accomplishments. That being said, the public has a right to have factual representations about the true state of its schools, not just puff pieces. When national tests have MHS at or below the state level, the public has a right to know the full story because it can no longer be taken for granted that the district management is doing its best for our students (clearly they are not). It has a right to the full context, not a bloated glossover.

You are right, used to publish a list of how many applied and how many were accepted to each school. Just pulled up the 2012 info. But really, this info does not tell us much of anything. No list ( on the school website,at least) lists how many students were going to each college. Again, not sure how this tells us much of anything. Figures can be spun to support any side of the coin.

Go back before 2012 (still CT time) and you will find that there were very complete lists, including of how many were rejected--which is important for students and parents to understand for a lot of reasons. (Of course Thorp et al made sure to delete all kinds of public information from the website, so can't say for sure any of that older data is still available. But you know there is at least one member who most certainly has all of that data if you asked her!) Knowing this helps parents and students to choose which schools to pay high application fees or not, and also how much to believe from guidance (if you're smart, you should be looking for information beyond what MHS guidance staff offer because MHS guidance is an incredibly poor department, with a couple of well-known exceptions).

About 5 years ago there was a class with no graduates going to an Ivy league school. This site dedicated string to the subject and used this information to slam MHS. Now that there are a few Ivy acceptances every year, the critics no longer want to use this as a benchmark. Funny how that works.

It is not about denigrating any student. The point is that so many more students from Melrose could do so much better if they had teachers who actually taught and were qualified to teach. Pushing students into AP and then giving them teachers who went to a short 3 day summer course results in low scores and frustrated students and teachers. The AP score results absolutely support this. For example, one AP English teacher was pulled out bc the scores were so poor. Another was put into place who also does very little to support all the students. Sure you might get one or two kids scoring well despite the poor teaching based on their own drive and persistence, but those two great scores does not mean the teaching and support was great. If there had been the right classroom teachers, there wouldn't be such low scores and more of the kids would have done better. Blaming the kids for not doing better is outrageous. The adults are allowed to do anything and nothing and the students get unjustiable blame for being incapable. If they were so incapable, they shouldn't have been forced into AP to begin with. That is the Melrose education problem in a nutshell.

I think weasels are actually sort of cute. Thanks! (Or was that meant to denigrate?)

Weasels are really smart too in addition to being adorable, fun loving and frisky! I think you've been complemented Willie!

No kkvv
It is not about denigrating any student. The point is that so many more students from Melrose could do so much better if they had teachers who actually taught and were qualified to teach. Pushing students into AP and then giving them teachers who went to a short 3 day summer course results in low scores and frustrated students and teachers. The AP score results absolutely support this. For example, one AP English teacher was pulled out bc the scores were so poor. Another was put into place who also does very little to support all the students. Sure you might get one or two kids scoring well despite the poor teaching based on their own drive and persistence, but those two great scores does not mean the teaching and support was great. If there had been the right classroom teachers, there wouldn't be such low scores and more of the kids would have done better. Blaming the kids for not doing better is outrageous. The adults are allowed to do anything and nothing and the students get unjustiable blame for being incapable. If they were so incapable, they shouldn't have been forced into AP to begin with. That is the Melrose education problem in a nutshell.

CT & MF (& lousy dept chairs) are actively hiring bottom-level teachers and not booting the known bad ones (these lousy administrators don't even know how to recognize good vs bad teachers, being barely competent themselves). Good and great teachers are being harassed into leaving or doing only the piles of meaningless work (not real teaching) demanded of them (by incompetent administrators). Students are being forced into inappropriate class choices and then blamed when results are poor. Students who manage to excel despite this systemic dysfunction often have massive amounts of private tutoring (and at significant expense of parents). This is not the MHS of even a few years ago. KakaVuvu and gang are buying&selling all of the official baloney (due to their desperate need to defend this system, for whatever sick "reason") and they have no clue that even they have been sold a bill of goods. It's a GD mess, and it's high time the community get behind the students and fight for the truth to make it better!

The local newspapers publish a list of colleges the MHS were admitted to, with some great schools on the list, and the Clown Patrol posts 40+ times that this really isn't good news, throws in a bunch of lies, and slams kids...and just can't let it go. Priceless. Lets see how many Bozo's show up at the budget presentation tonight.

1 2