Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Superintendent Evaluation Video from MMTV

School Comm. July 22nd 2014 Part 1 on Vimeo
http://vimeo.com/101472991

Re: Superintendent Evaluation Video from MMTV

Needs a laugh track when RD speaks

When MD/Dolores Umbrage locks her jaw and pontificates, you can almost see the Dementors cheering.

Jon Stewart and Colbert would have a field day with CT (or most of them, actually). And they'd deserve it!

This was the most entertaining reference on MM in the short time I have been reading (4 months of so). I will admit that I have only recently started paying attention to SC dealings, since my kids are not yet school age. There were so many great highlights, I had to share with some friends from other towns. Needless to say that we had some laughs.. We loved the suspense of "Will they/Won't they eliminate class rank?" When the bald guy (Don?) stopped fawning over CT just long enough to say that if Newton and Weston were doing it, and they were turning out good students, well then, it should work for Melrose. (There's some misunderstanding of causality for you). Also appreciated was CT trying (and failing) to calculate 5% of 225. Beautiful stuff. LOVED when the big blowhard lady said she didn't really understand the proposal, but she would support it anyway. That some due diligence for you. I think they were all swayed by the enthusiasm radiating from the HS guy who presented the proposal. We truly enjoyed the evaluation of CT, where in any given category, she received an unsatisfactory from one member and an exemplary from someone else. I think the SC needs to get on the same page with the rubric. The rubric is supposed to make the process less subjective and more objective. How can members be so far off from one another? Oh, must be the lack of any actual concrete support for the evaluation score.
The craziest part of all of it is how the one lady who seems to actually have done her homework (She is actually prepared with stats and quotes and facts, unlike anyone else around the table) is just continually ignored. She points out that the superintendent swore at community member and never apologized, and still, they moved right on. CT never responded to one piece of criticism. To be honest, I don't think she was listening- I'd love to check the history on her iPad to see what she was watching during her evaluation. Must have been some good Netflix offering.
I am not a frequent contributor to MM. I do enjoy coming here to see what stories have been absent in the local paper. I have always taken things with a grain of salt, because most of them do not seem to have much to do with my life. I plan to be out of here before my kids hit grade school. But, watching this group does make me worry about my property value when it comes time to sell. This is the most inarticulate superintendent I have ever heard speak. Throwing in the jargon does not impress. And the SC members (except for that one woman, Mrs K) seem like a bunch of boobs who are unprepared at best, or just entirely ignorant. Yikes.

Thank you
I plan to be out of here before my kids hit grade school. But, watching this group does make me worry about my property value when it comes time to sell.

A wise move. I wouldn't worry too much about your property value quite yet - that bomb hasn't dropped yet, because the local real estate cabal does their absolute best to cover up what a deplorable state the schools are in. The day is coming though, when even their lies and the PR foolishness coming from City Hall won't work anymore.

To be bluntly honest, most people in Melrose are either too stupid to understand they're being fed a line of garbage, or too lazy and disconnected to care. The City side functions pretty well, which RD never ceases to claim credit for, but the truth is that his City Planner is worth her weight in gold, and is the real reason City side does well. There is nobody, absolutely nobody on the School side to carry that weight for him. Your impressions are correct - with one exception, the SC members are just about the biggest collection of blithering pontificating nitwits it's ever been my misfortune to run across, and the super is, quite honestly, a nasty old witch with few skills and a really rotten attitude. That one exception had them for lunch - again - with facts rebutting their idiotic platitudes.

Meanwhile, the system, and MHS in particular, continue to sink further and further with every passing year, and at his point there is no end in sight, especially since Doughboy was dumb enough to publicly announce he wants to give the nasty old witch another three year deal.

Get out as soon as you can.

First, real estate values in Melrose are exploding. The City is officially one of the hottest real estate markets in greater Boston...and the young families are moving in in droves.

Most people in Melrose are actually pretty savvy. The bashers will never admit it because it doesn't fit their agenda, but the reality is most of the families of school age children know what's going on.

The prevailing view on the elementary schools and the middle school are they are providing the education the kids need at this level. Some kids do really well on MCAS and in school, and the averages don't tell the whole story. If your kid is nailing the MCAS and doing fine on the report card Melrose is great. The young families love the early childhood center. Sold Out and they could get 50% more than they charge right now and it would still be filled.

The tremendous majority of people in Melrose love the community and the way the City is run, and don't care whether Dolan is a bully, deserves credit for the many great things in the City or what the whiners on this blog think.
They enjoy the community, pay their taxes, go downtown and watch their real estate values go through the roof.

Melrose High School is its own animal, and is the biggest issue in the City right now. But the whiners don't really break the issues at MHS down and that is why their is no traction with their opinions. The top 25% of each MHS class level do excellent in school. They get great grades, hit the honor roll, do real well on MCAS, play sports or participate in other stuff, go to their first or second choice colleges, etc., etc. etc. Life is good for these 300 families. In Melrose the bottom 25% don't care what their kids are doing in school (which is half the problem with the MCAS averages)Life is good for those 300 families to, as they could care less about what their kids are doing in school. That leaves 600 families with varying levels of issues, success and failure at MHS. Clearly many of these kids are getting screwed and are being hurt by the poor teaching at the standard level classes and below at MHS. The kids that are trying and care are getting hammered. That's what needs to be fixed first. Its a small percentage of a population in the community, and they have a beef. The question is what do you do about, and most rational people see an effort from the administration to try and fix the problem. MFD and the self proclaimed education experts are carrying far bigger axes and grudges and it effects their judgment and opinion...which is why you see the calls to kick Dolan, the school committee, the super and her staff out of office. However, rational people know that isn't going to fix anything, and we sure don't want MFD, CKK and GMROZ running the school system.

1. True. Real Estate values are exploding - everywhere, actually, but in Melrose more than most. I see that as tenuous, because real estate agents are not being honest about the state of the schools.

2. If most people in Melrose are pretty savvy, why isn't there more of a hue and cry about the debacle that is the HS?

3. Ask the people at Hoover and Roosevelt how happy they are.

4. As I said, the City side is doing reasonably well. I credit Denise Gaffey for a great deal of that. She is, as I said, worth her weight in gold. I do care that Dolan is a bully. It's unacceptable.

5. MHS is it's own animal, and for argument's sake, let's use your numbers, even though I don't know where you got them. You could have pulled them out of a hat for all I know. Nonetheless - you say the top 25% (300 families) do well, and that the bottom 25% (300 familes) could care less. That leaves the other 50% (600) families not being well-served by the HS. When only 25% of a student population is doing well, in my book, that's an epic fail. Who are we supposed to hold accountable for that? The tooth fairy?

Incidentally, the only person I've ever heard describe themselves as an "education expert" is Dolan (his own words). I'm certainly not, but you don't need to be an education expert to know an abysmal failure when you see one. As for Lucretia McNasty - she has zero people skills, zero team building skills, and is single-handedly destroying what little staff morale was left when Casey bolted. What kind of a public official, especially a school superintendent swears at a member of the public during an open session?

Melrose deserves better.

great attempt at spinning. check out the police log regarding all the overdoses, robberies and restraining orders. If young families check out the Wyoming area they certainly won't want their children going to the Lincoln School or buy into Ward 5. Interesting stats, too regarding all the single women buying houses recently in the burbs including Melrose. Their financial priorities must be addressed and will not include voting for an override.

We are very happy at Hoover!

Hey True: Ask Horace Mann parents how happy they are over the last couple of years. Ask parents what happens to them when they have a complaint or advocate for their child. Do you mind getting intimidating visits from the school resource officer supported by the local police department? Do you mind seeing your name and address in the police blotter? Do you mind being suddenly told you are prohibited from being a school volunteer? If you intend to make a complaint or advocate for your child, be prepared to have a good attorney on retainer.

What about the Mr. McNasty at our school? Bad enough he's a fraud who doesn't know what he's doing or ever even bother to take the time to listen, pay attention, or proactively do what he's supposed to do. He's so arrogant and flip that he constantly makes bad decisions that affect the children and teachers, but will never admit a mistake, even when it's a serious one. He and his boss are birds of a feather.

Hey Thank You,

All good and well said and amusing, too.

"This is the most inarticulate superintendent I have ever heard speak. Throwing in the jargon does not impress. And the SC members (except for that one woman, Mrs K) seem like a bunch of boobs who are unprepared at best, or just entirely ignorant. Yikes." My only remark is that when it comes to inarticulate, I can't disagree that this one takes the cake, except that it sounds like you never heard her "Mr. YouknowYouknowMovingForwardMovingForward" predecessor who had a fondness for contractor-speak. This School Committee really knows how to pick them!

This one sits there during public Meet and Greets flipping things on her Ipad (probably the Macy's catalog) so energetically, in stark contrast to her bored, or sometimes eyes closed almost snoring look when she's supposed to be paying attention at SC meetings. Maybe it's better when she's checked out because at least her vindictiveness is inactive then.

So what in the heck was the Ms. Perky Junior Miss Hoover principal doing at the meeting Tuesday? There to Show the Flag for her beloved mentor, perhaps? These BizzaroWorld (good one!) alliances are just as weird and unbenefitting to the students as the ones JC had with his lineup of loser administrators (one of whom has just ascended up his Peter Principle ladder to the middle school). What ever happened to Basic Professionalism, you know, the kind that's built on basic ethical conduct and a baseline of competence and good training? I wouldn't care if any of them were Stars as long as they were basically competent and unfailingly professional. That seems to be something they are universally Not. And they get big six-figure-plus salaries now! Plus, once upon a time accountability actually meant something in this district, with teachers sent packing if they did something bad. Now, it seems like even something as outrageous as what happened in that 8th grade class is rewarded instead of treated appropriately, and the community just yawns. Just don't get it.

hhf
We are very happy at Hoover!

So very Happy for you. Go back to your yoga class and stay off this board! Be sure Not to look at your kid's MCAS results because they are the worst in the district.

My comment about Roosevelt and Hoover was intended to rebut Another View\'s contention that \"The prevailing view on the elementary schools and the middle school are they are providing the education the kids need at this level.\" The subsequent comments would seem to show otherwise. In addition to the disaster that is the HS, there are plenty of problems at the elementary level too.

My point remains the same - \"Who are we supposed to hold accountable for that? The tooth fairy?\" The depth of the denial exhibited in this town is astonishing.

Would the members of the Fellowship of the Miserable like a little cheese with their wineeeeeeeeeee.

With regards to MHS, the newspaper published the top 76 students graduating this year with various honors designations. Only 16 were boys or 20 percent. Analyze that.

Rick P obviously belongs to the Fellowship of the Ignorant, since he doesn't know the difference between wine and whine.

It's a pun :DUMMY

Whine IS the pun, halfwit. Stop advertising your ignorance.

Hey Pitiful: U R very PITIFUL. Do you get it or do I have to draw u a picture.

Ps. Taymore is going to get a new 3 yr. contract because the mayor said so.
[:))][:))]

Well, that may be the undoing of his political career.

Roosy Parent
Well, that may be the undoing of his political career.

That will be the icing on the cake because his carear [sic] has been unraveling for some time now with each revelation of his schoolyard bully conduct and poor decisions. It was incredibly stupid of him to publicly telegraph his intent to renew that superintendent contract during a televised and recorded meeting. All of his "exemplary" votes say just how much he actually knows about what's going on in the district and how little he really cares. All those lemming parents who think he walks on water have only hurt their own children with their blind support of this menace and buffoon.

From this week's FreePress: "Dolan said Tuesday marked a great day for Melrose, as state and local government were able to work together to build up an economy, which many have said is in a worse state than during the Great Depression."

This guy will literally say any foolish thing if he (or his ghost-writer Brigitte) thinks he can get political mileage. Apparently he hasn't heard of the Economic Recovery or that the stock market has been exceeding some of the 90s numbers. No, right now the economy is Not in a "worse" state than during the Great Depression. What absolute horse pucky!
But that's okay. Maybe Dolan wants to claim credit for this, too:
Melrose officials rescue cat in tree
http://melrose.wickedlocal.com/article/20140724/NEWS/140727908

(We do need a Colonel Potter right about now!)

Unless the Melrose voters get a clue and put up a decent couple of effective candidates to run against this guy, it's their own fault that he's still their city's leader. They've had plenty of evidence for some time that this guy was bad news, especially for the schools, which have been in a deplorable state for years where the decline directly corresponds to the amount of time that guy has been allowed to micromanage its affairs.

Things started to go downhill early on, especially from the financial end. The mess escalated the moment the charter was changed and this guy started messing with more than just the budget and hiring decisions (which he inappropriately micromanaged behind the scenes, despite his bogus claims of respecting the "separation of powers" right from the start). Now there is no attempt to respect any separation of powers, nor are there any checks or balances whatsoever. That's on the aldermen and the voters, who've allowed this dangerous descent into Unitary Executive Power. (It's not even worth mentioning the School Committee, with that one powerful exception, because they are so far beyond in their alternate reality that they scarcely even count as players.)

Really folks, get a clue. It's your own fault, by and large. Most of you reading this have sat back and allowed it all without so much as lifting a finger or a phone, or in the case of many of the younger parents, even showing up to vote (or even registering to vote). It's a shameful state of affairs.

You should watch that darn video and get some outrage. This is what You have wrought! Change it!

Yes, EVERYONE needs to watch this video:

School Comm. July 22nd 2014 Part 1 on Vimeo
http://vimeo.com/101472991

Rick,
It's ok that your joke failed. You can accept it. You tried to take a witty shot, and you missed because in order for that to be a pun, you needed to write "whine" - as in, "Have some cheese with your whine". You might reply that you didn't miss, but your sarcastic, aggressive attempt at a pun failed because it was not a pun

This might explain why you think Taymore is worthy of 3 more years. You thought you were right, but were not.

I'm going to start a marathon of "Superintendent's New Clothes" on Netflix tomorrow.

Wow is right. Started digging into the DESE data to see for myself because the figures quoted by Mrs. K were pretty disturbing and didn't seem to jive with the stuff I'd heard:

http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/mcas/achievement_level.aspx?linkid=32&orgcode=01780305&orgtypecode=6&

38% of all our Middle School students in Needs Improvement or Warning for MATH!!!!

That isn't just an indictment of the middle school, folks, because that indicates all the education up until that point. The high school actually fixes some of that, with some obviously competent teaching (not that MHS should be bragging either, with their disgustingly low scores in a lot of things, especially SATs). But all those elementary parents who are tut-tutting about how great the schools are doing need to pay attention because you don't get that bad a result with 8-9 years of Melrose education just from the middle school, which can't be expected to fix 6 years of bad elementary education. 38%!

And then it gets worse:

52% of ALL Middle School students in NI or W for Science, that's 52%!

And don't go buying that horse dung that the administration keeps putting out there about the state curriculum because other districts are still doing just fine, regardless of what changes are being made at the state level!

So the next time you elementary parents are tempted to believe the flowery pretentious garbage this superintendent, curriculum director, principals, or school committee (minus one) are trying to sell, offer them back a bridge to nowhere for a few bucks and take stock--that is, if you care about the education your kids are getting. It's a pack of lies. They have ruined this district and they should be held accountable!

Now I need some blood pressure medicine and then to try to see how much we can borrow to get our kids out of here before any further damage is done!

And don' forget, our illustrious Mayor thinks that everything in our school district is great and that Taymore and her admin staff should be extended another 3 years! Actually, we can't afford to keep her around for another 3 years, then our schools will certainly be in a dismal state.

I found this clip of Taymore discussing the future with a student and her parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopdD9Cu-So

"Who would of thought a beautiful little girl like you could have destroyed my wickedness".....

Yes, HizDishonor's Exemplary ratings show how cynical he is about the intelligence of Melrose citizens. How dare he dish out those ratings, and with not a shred of evidence that would support them (just the contrary)!

parent
Wow is right. Started digging into the DESE data to see for myself because the figures quoted by Mrs. K were pretty disturbing and didn't seem to jive with the stuff I'd heard:

http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/mcas/achievement_level.aspx?linkid=32&orgcode=01780305&orgtypecode=6&

38% of all our Middle School students in Needs Improvement or Warning for MATH!!!!

That isn't just an indictment of the middle school, folks, because that indicates all the education up until that point. The high school actually fixes some of that, with some obviously competent teaching (not that MHS should be bragging either, with their disgustingly low scores in a lot of things, especially SATs). But all those elementary parents who are tut-tutting about how great the schools are doing need to pay attention because you don't get that bad a result with 8-9 years of Melrose education just from the middle school, which can't be expected to fix 6 years of bad elementary education. 38%!

And then it gets worse:

52% of ALL Middle School students in NI or W for Science, that's 52%!

And don't go buying that horse dung that the administration keeps putting out there about the state curriculum because other districts are still doing just fine, regardless of what changes are being made at the state level!

So the next time you elementary parents are tempted to believe the flowery pretentious garbage this superintendent, curriculum director, principals, or school committee (minus one) are trying to sell, offer them back a bridge to nowhere for a few bucks and take stock--that is, if you care about the education your kids are getting. It's a pack of lies. They have ruined this district and they should be held accountable!

Now I need some blood pressure medicine and then to try to see how much we can borrow to get our kids out of here before any further damage is done!

Mr. "Statman" from another string must also be living in that alternate reality.

Hey “Parallel”-thanks for including the link to the DOE website that give the MCAS score. Your post is very typical of the anti-Melrose crowd that likes to post incomplete information and BALD FACED LIES and then add in your own foolish analysis. To respond to your last line first…let me know if you need a ride to the bank. Those of us that like this city are only too happy when idiots like you leave.
Now, regarding your post, I think you clearly expose yourself by what you leave out. Using the link that you provided you will see that in the ENGLISH section the Melrose Middle Schools had 82% of their students in “Proficient or Higher.” This is above the state average of 73% . You must have forgotten to post that.
You also pointed out that 38% of the students were in either Needs Improvement or Warning for MATH. You did not mention that the state average for that is 43%. You also didn’t point out that 62% of the students are Proficient or Higher, as compared to 57% for the state.
You then go on to post a BALD FACED LIE and say that 52% of the students are NI or W for Science. That is incorrect. Check your own link you liar. The total is 49%. Please do not try to chalk this up to rounding. You took shots at Melrose and did not know what you were talking about. If you look at you own link you will see that Melrose has 52% Proficient or Higher as compared to the state average of 43%.

Now I know what your agenda is. Thanks for making it clear. Who gives a $hit what the state average is? Unless you want to contend that Melrose, Lawrence, Brockton, Springfield, etc. have a similar demographic, your comparisons are irrelevant. Just another example of how stats can be spun to reflect a bias.

Exactly. Make your comparisons between systems with "similar" demographics.

kudos
With regards to MHS, the newspaper published the top 76 students graduating this year with various honors designations. Only 16 were boys or 20 percent. Analyze that.

Of the total graduating class of 2014 how many were male and how many were female?

Statman is having a bird because a poster made a 3% error (49 instead of 52% in NI/W for middle school Science) but purposely throws in State comparisons as the red herring to "prove" his spurious points. How about comparable demographics that show Melrose is in serious decline, like:

Westford (far less per capita for schools, especially now with Melrose new teacher's contract), but FAR BETTER performance overall than Melrose:

http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/mcas/achievement_level.aspx?linkid=32&orgcode=03260000&orgtypecode=5&
All middle school Math: Westford 13% in NI/W instead of 38% Melrose
8th grade science: Westford 95% in Adv/Prof instead of 59% in Melrose
7th grade Math: Melrose Needs Improv/Warning 47%; Westford: 6% Needs Improvement, 0% Warning (!)

There is no way that Melrose statistics are worthy of defense. Melrose has declined significantly and is not at all on an upward trajectory, contrary to the public spin of officials. The evidence truly speaks for itself. Look at the many indicators easily available, and the facts speak for themselves. There are some small areas that are okay, even praiseworthy in a limited sense. Overall, though, Melrose is far, far below where it should be for this demographic. The red herrings about the charter school are just deflections from the compelling truth that the entire community should be focused on if it hopes to make anything better here instead of just fomenting a hate campaign, like Vuvu/Statman-type posts.

OK, so nobody likes the comparison to the state averages. Fair enough. Let’s see how the Melrose Middle school stacks up to the Award winning, phenomenal Mystic Valley Regional Charter School. This should be a valid comparison since these are the 2 public school options for Melrose residents (private schools would not dare subject themselves to this testing). Staying with the Middle School analysis you will see that for English, the award winning MVRCS had 84% of their Middle School students are Proficient or Higher. A good score. This compares to 82% for the Melrose district. Not bad considering Melrose had 845 students sit for the test vs 338 for the MVCS. Now look at the Math, 62% Proficient or higher for Melrose vs 67% for the MVRCS…fairly comparable despite the disparity in number of test takers. Also, for all the Melrose middle school math bashing on here you’d think and award winning school like the MVRCS would far outpace the Middle school…I guess not.

Now let’s look at Science. I should have pointed this out before when the liar “Parallel” tried to claim that the Science scores were for the entire middle school. That is not true. Science is only administered to 8th graders. As noted above, in Science Melrose had 52% of the 8th grade students in Proficient or Higher and 49% in NI or W. (This is pulled directly from DOE so there is slight rounding). Now look at the award winning MVRCS. For 8th grade Science they had only 16% of their students in Proficient or higher (Note, they had 0% Advanced; all 16% here were proficient). They ALSO HAD 84% OF THEIR 8TH GRADE POPULATION IN NEEDS IMPROVEMENT OR WARNING FOR SCIENCE. Yes, the same school that wins awards by the US News and World Misreport is among the lowest in the state for Science.

It has been said before and bears repeating. If a kindergarten parent is serious about looking at this school, do your own analysis of the results. At the elementary levels the Melrose district far outperforms the MVRCS. As you get to middle school the numbers level off. In my opinion this is largely because the underperforming and special education students leave the MVRCS at a very high rate because the sending districts provide better services. For comparison, just look at the current 10th results for the MVRCS where they had 96 students sit for the exam and compare that to when they were in 3rd grade in 2006 and had 134 students sit for the exam. Over 28% of their students left in that time period and if you then look at the very low spend for sped at the MVRCS, the results are pretty clear as to what is happening. This creates a skew in the results at the higher grades but, in any event, the Melrose district at the elementary levels far outperforms the MVRCS by any reasonable comparison.

To sum it up, despite what the US News and World Misreport says, parents of toddlers should do their own research when considering elementary school options. They will quickly see through the smoke and mirrors that is created by the taxpayer-funded marketing director at the MVRCS tries to create each year.

Parallel Reality
Statman................purposely throws in State comparisons as the red herring to "prove" his spurious points. How about comparable demographics that show Melrose is in serious decline, like:

Westford (far less per capita for schools, especially now with Melrose new teacher's contract), but FAR BETTER performance overall than Melrose:

http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/mcas/achievement_level.aspx?linkid=32&orgcode=03260000&orgtypecode=5&
All middle school Math: Westford 13% in NI/W instead of 38% Melrose
8th grade science: Westford 95% in Adv/Prof instead of 59% in Melrose
7th grade Math: Melrose Needs Improv/Warning 47%; Westford: 6% Needs Improvement, 0% Warning (!)

I'm not sure using Westford is realistic. They may spend less per pupil than Melrose, but the "personal" demographics, in my opinion, are not comparable. From what I know about Westford, the general population is far better educated than is Melrose's, leading to a pre-disposed ability to achieve better results.

Parallel Reality
There is no way that Melrose statistics are worthy of defense. Melrose has declined significantly and is not at all on an upward trajectory, contrary to the public spin of officials. Overall, though, Melrose is far, far below where it should be for this demographic. The red herrings about the charter school are just deflections from the compelling truth that the entire community should be focused on if it hopes to make anything better here instead of just fomenting a hate campaign, like Vuvu/Statman-type posts.

On that we agree completely, and that's exactly what I was talking about when I said Statman's agenda was perfectly clear. I don't give a $hit about the charter school, either, other than being furious about it's funding. Nor do I give a $hit about privates, either. I want comparisons made between communities that have demographics that are similar to Melrose's across the board. Statman's deliberately misleading contentions are the very same MO that the "leadership" (and I use that term extraordinarily loosely) uses to cloud the truth about just how poorly the Melrose system compares to other similar systems. The end game is simple - to make people believe that $hit is actually ice cream. It's a lie - plain and simple.

Okay, so you don't think Westford is a good comparison. What about Stoneham? Melrose used to far outrank Stoneham academically. Not so much now! If you don't like looking at the low achievement end, try the other end. It's not better.

Stoneham
http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/mcas/achievement_level.aspx?linkid=32&orgcode=02840405&orgtypecode=6&

8th gr Science Advanced or Proficient 61%
7th gr ELA Advanced or Proficient: 88%

Melrose
http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/mcas/achievement_level.aspx?linkid=32&orgcode=01780000&orgtypecode=5&

8th gr Science, Advanced or Proficient: 49%
7th gr ELA Advanced or Proficient: 81%

Another view
The City is officially one of the hottest real estate markets in greater Boston...and the young families are moving in in droves.

Baloney. #3 Wakefield -- 130 homes sold in Wakefield, an increase of 63% compared to Q2 2013 when there were 80 sales, putting it at No. 3 in the list of hottest towns for Q2 2014. Melrose wasn't on the list.

http://www.wcvb.com/money/massachusetts-hottest-real-estate-towns/27182216#ixzz38uynB38P

When it comes to comparisons, there are 2 public school choices for Melrose residents that want to stay here (1) the Melrose district schools and (2) the MVRCS. We’ve already debunked they myth of the MVRCS. Now if you want to move to Westford, feel free. Nobody is stopping you and despite claims to the contrary, this market is on fire so if you own a home, put it on the market.

I reject the notion of a city by city comparison as a valid measure. Some cities; like Melrose, have to deal with the skewing that results from having a parasitic charter school in the district that does not properly serve special education students thus putting a strain on the district. The only way to compare performance is to chart how a particular grade does year to year (i.e.: how did the current 10th graders score today vs. their last testing period). For instance, the current 10th graders had 94% of their students in Advanced or Proficient in ELA. In 2006, when they were in third grade, that number was 53%. For Math, they currently are at 87% and when in third grade they were at 58%. Now, to do this properly you have to go year to year….but I am sure that nobody will be willing to do this since it certainly won’t support the thesis that Melrose students aren’t improving. It also completely obliterates the theory that all the smart kids leave the district after 8th grade. The reality is that most go to lousy private schools to avoid the testing requirement.

Lastly, while I reject the notion of district comparisons, if you are going to do it be honest about it and don’t cherry pick. As a student of the MCAS results you know that the current results show scores in 17 different categories from grades 3 through 10 as well as 3 scores for “All Grades.” Looking at Melrose and Stoneham side by side you will see that of the 20 categories Melrose had a higher percentage of students in the Advanced or Higher category in 11 of the 20 groups. That includes all scores through 5th grade; two of the three high school categories as well as two of the three “All Grades” categories. Nobody is bragging about this, just putting the complete information on the table. Save the nonsense for the US News and World Misreport.

Look buddy,

You obviously have a bee up your butt about Mystic Valley Charter School. Everyone gets that. Now go get some help because clearly you are obsessed and going nowhere fast. Your arguments do nothing to improve or clarify anything. They are a failed attempt to obscure the corrupt and failing local district, which is failing not because of the charter school but because of bad politics, bad hiring, bad policy, bad practices, and an apathetic community that sits by while jokers like you expound on your personal issues (yes, the existence of the charter school, for some reason, is obviously personal for you, and to no one's benefit). Yes, the funding formula is wrong and harms every district that has charter schools competing for dollars (Melrose isn't the only one, you know).

But not every district has sunk the way Melrose has, and continues to, despite all the factors (and mandates and all the other excuses our mayor and pathetic school committee and administrators rant about). All the communities in the Commonwealth are up against these things, and Melrose now ranks as disproportionately in the poorly performing categories on too many fronts, especially when considering the considerable amount of money now allotted to it, bringing it in more parity with other districts as far as per capita spending (didn't you hear the mayor brag about the "historic" teacher's contract last fall--you know, the same one they voted to "sign" something like 3 times, even when they hadn't seen any document at all?!). By the way, did that aforementioned contract ever get drafted in an actual version, and did they vote on it yet again? Or were they content to think they had done enough of a circus show about their total failure of due diligence? Surely their crack legal team advised them that they had done "enough" and didn't need to do anything else publicly lest those pesky ones who are still awake and watching raise more troubling questions that they couldn't answer.

Oh by the way, did I say, corrupt and failing? Yup, if you look at the payouts and patronage, Melrose should just be glad that it has "friends" in high places. Someday this garbage that's been going on under all our collective noses won't fly. Eventually more houses of cards and dominoes will topple. So all these arrogant pols had better get their groove on while the going's good and then "retire" before the house-cleaning starts, as it does in the perennial swing of politics.

Another blowhard that posts opinions without facts. Idiots like this have been threatening for the "other shoe to drop" for over 10 years yet home values in Melrose keep climbing. Move to Stoneham. Loser.

Some cities; like Melrose, have to deal with the skewing that results from having a parasitic charter school in the district that does not properly serve special education students thus putting a strain on the district.

So if the students from the "parasitic" charter school with poor MCAS results went to MHS it would improve the performance of MHS? Please explain.

To Statman: You may call them parasitic charter schools but I consider them legitimate alternatives to public education where public schools fail or lack the will or management to provide the education that some parents want for their children. Charter schools represent important options to parents in inner city or urban school districts where educational failures seems to still persist. In the suburbs, these charter schools offer parents alternatives to the typical public school curriculum or commitments based on the individual needs of individual children. I have seen some recent data that Boston has a waiting list of 10,000 children waiting for seats in charter schools which tells me that an alternative to public schools is needed and necessary.

If public schools are to compete with charter schools then they need to demonstrate their willingness to invest their resources wisely, improve the quality of their teaching, and to make a serious commitment to continuous quality improvement in all areas of education. Until this commitment is seriously made, charter schools will remain an alternative to public school education as it should be.

Concerning the analysis and comparison of student performance between different local school districts as well as state-wide districts, I agree that this is sometimes difficult to do and it will become more difficult as we transition from MCAS to PARCC testing. Massachusetts has spent billions of dollars over the past 20 years to perfect the existing educational state standards and the MCAS exams and now the state is embarking on a substantial change to "Common Core" standards along with its PARCC testing program. This in my humble opinion was ludicrous to do but who am I to doubt the super intelligent bureaucrats of Washington DC as well as our prestigious local educational experts!

You suggested a better way to do some of these comparisons between school districts such as comparing the individual growth of each student as he/she progresses through the various grades of the school district. This would indicate just how effective a school district is doing to educate its students rather than strictly using combined MCAS or PARCC data. You have exactly summarized the best data to use to evaluate a school system and one that Gerry Mroz has been recommending to our school district for many years. Here is some very important information for all of you...such an analysis has been done by Gerry Mroz who is a statistician by interest and training. He has done a thorough analysis of our school system student by student and has tracked their progress base on public data. As far as I know, he has the most extensive database of Melrose students and their yearly progress than even the department of education has in our state and he has made this available to our administrative staff with little interest from them. This is in large part why Mr.Mroz knows that our educators have let us down over the years and a reason why the school administration do not want to pursue these data.

Not even close, Statman. The facts speak for themselves, and facts are what I see in the post you're dissing. Go away, and take your so-called stats with you. You cherry pick whatever "stats" you need to reinforce your incorrect assertions. You're a spin doctor, and not a very good one at that.

Boston Business Journal

Laughable and the rest of the MM whiners bitterness knows no bounds, even when its good news for them. Do yourself and these families a favor and sell your house to someone who appreciates the community.

Boston Business Journal Article

Topping the second quarter’s rankings and making its debut among the BBJ’s top-10 hottest communities was the middle-class city of Melrose, population 27,000. According to Zillow, Melrose home values were on a tear in the most-recent quarter, rising 7.4 percent since the end of March and posting a 19 percent gain on a year-over-year basis.
Bill Donohue, a broker and co-owner of Sexton & Donohue Century 21, said the city’s price appreciation has become palpable of late, citing as an example the recent sale of a Victorian that listed for $750,000 and ultimately sold for $805,000. He said the seller received eight bids after the first open house and that the same house probably would have sold for around 25 percent less just three years ago.
He said young professionals in particular are pouring into Melrose, drawn by the city’s diverse housing stock, historic downtown and commuting options. Indeed, it seems many of the same sellers in Boston’s frothy condo markets are pulling up stakes to raise families in the city’s northern suburbs, Melrose included.
“It’s amazing to me but we are getting multiple offers on just about every house we list,” said Donohue, whose Melrose brokerage has been in business for roughly two decades.
Other nearby communities are riding the wave, too. Stretching north from Cambridge and west to Hudson and Acton, the entire the northwestern quadrant of Greater Boston saw some of the strongest pricing and transaction activity in the state last quarter. For example, three different ZIP codes in Waltham saw year-over-year value appreciation of at least 15 percent through June 30, while neighborhoods in the nearby towns of Medford, Belmont, Winchester and Arlington all reported increases of at least 14 percent.
Bob Bowes, a 67-year-old broker who has been selling properties in Arlington for four decades, says the region offers a nice mix of urban and suburban amenities that are appealing to a wide swath of buyers. He described the influx of homebuyers as a confluence of local trade-ups, empty nesters and people moving in from the city and out of state.
“It’s a perfect storm,” Bowes said.

Melrose was tops among roughly two dozen red-hot housing markets northwest of Boston in the second quarter.

Re: Boston Business Journal

I didn't say I wasn't happy about the trend in Melrose. Why would I be unhappy about my equity jumping 60K? I said your contention that Melrose was the top "hot" market is baloney. Based on the % increase in sales, Melrose did not rank in the top 25. The top three were: Oxford 66% (median 185K), Chelsea 65% (median 270K), and Wakefield 63% (median 410K). Sale price and median price don't define a "hot" market, and every stat you listed was based solely on increase in sale price.

Is Melrose experiencing a big bump? Sure, and the increase in prices is a great for sellers, and for equity. A 19% jump in median price (value) is higher than Wakefield's 14%, but Wakefield's values hadn't dropped nearly as badly as Melrose's had since 2008.

MFD – as one that appears to be very interested in the use of public funds I am very surprised that you can put any support behind the MVRCS. Fools like “Consistency”, “Nope” and “Laughable” are tough to argue with since there is no hope for them, they only offer unsupported opinions, however, you appear to have thought this through on a National level. I do agree, that on a National scale you may have more of an argument. However, in looking only at “our” charter school, is it anyway appropriate for the chairperson of a public school to appoint multiple family members to taxpayer funded jobs? Also, when looking at “our” charter school, is in anyway appropriate for a charter school to have such a low percentage of minority students when the school system in the host city has a minority student population of well over 50%? Is that the intent of Charter reform (under serving minorities)? Also, with regard to “our” charter school, is it an appropriate use of public funds to allow the school administrators to have complete discretion to use “excess” taxpayer funds buy houses and build fields when all of the sending districts are struggling? Shouldn’t funds not used for education be sent back to the sending districts? Lastly, with such close (yet misguided) scrutiny of MCAS results by many on this board; is it appropriate to call into question the performance of an alternative school that has 84% of its students in 8th grade on either W or NI for Science? Why no commentary around that on this board? For some reason this school is allowed to skate by and take our money without legitimate scrutiny yet this board routinely rallies against the Melrose district. I’d be interested in your responses.

STATMAN
Fools like “Consistency”, “Nope” and “Laughable” are tough to argue with since there is no hope for them, they only offer unsupported opinions.

WTF are you talking about, you nitwit? Quoting sales stats from Money is an unsupported opinion? I could care less about the charter school, with the sole objection being my objection to the funding formula.

Statman - you make excellent points concerning specifically how our local charter school is run and what it spends its money on. Not everything is perfect over there and I have heard that some parents of students there have been very vocal about needed changes. I agree that there needs to be changes in the charter school setup and certainly more scrutiny and oversight by government agencies involved in these schools. It does seem to me that when the government tries to do good things, invariably things get perverted or not well thought-out to unintended consequences. In the private sector, this lack of oversight creates a failed business while in the public sector, life goes on, the bureaucracy expands to make up for failed efforts - more money is pumped in, nothing essentially changes until the public gets deeply involved.

However, if the charter schools do not meet the needs of students and parents, support will fall, monies will decrease, and it will fail - no possible change for a state take-over!

1 2