Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
89-degree rooms at MVMMS and MHS

It is unconscionable that nothing was done to remediate the working conditions for students and teachers the past two weeks. Plenty of portable air conditioners were brought in so that that administrators and their secretaries would be kept comfortable. Classrooms at the "green" building we are all paying override tax dollars for were 89 and 90 degrees, and teachers were expected to bring in their own fans for much of the building. Fiasco that this "Go Green" building was so poorly designed (don't believe the garbage the politicians put out there). (Any fool knows that weather in New England can be intolerably hot during portions of the school year.) Classrooms at MHS were just as intolerable in certain areas (not administration, naturally). Air duct/HVAC work had not been completed (though they had the whole summer to prepare for this and could have made sure all classrooms had adequate temperature control, even if temporary measures like the ones they brought in for administration). It's a disgrace that administration allowed this. Someone should call OSHA for the toxic work conditions. It was and is a health hazard, and it certainly has meant that no learning could take place in those conditions. And then we wonder why kids act up, teachers are miserable, test scores are lousy. This lack of caring for basics defines everything.

Re: 89-degree rooms at MVMMS and MHS

I agree. Way to hot, if that is truly the case. My child hasn't said anything at all so this is the first I am hearing of this.

One clarification question though:

When did we vote on a tax override?

So did you call OSHA or the administration?

when the MVMMS was built a choice was made to not fully install AC in the building This was because the tax payers would not have approved the override. My understanding was the MVMMS was designed so that AC could be added at a later time if funding became available. As far as the high school it needs a major rehab from top to bottom. Again for funding reasons the district has chosen to overhaul the building piecemeal. Its an old building, either way to upgrade or to replace it with a new building would cost millions not sure the tax payers would support an override. Lets be real here the number of 90 degree days in MA are limited.

My student has come home complaining about the extreme heat at MHS...some classes have been unable to use the classrooms, and are meeting outside, because the air quality is so bad. The conditions are not just uncomfortable, they are dangerous. For any children or staff with underlying medical issues, like asthma, heart disease, etc., they are being put at risk.

They need to mitigate the lack of AC, perhaps by bringing in window fans and running them all night to pull cooler, fresh air into the building, in addition to installing some strategically placed portable ACs. It's not just a little warm, it's sweltering, and kids are getting sick.

Administrators knew all year they would be returning in August, and they also knew that the work on the AC units would not be completed. This is just another example of poor management. The teachers have their union, the kids have no one advocating for them.

Where are the PTO members on this issue? Why aren't they speaking out and advocating for the students?

Don't call OSHA, call for the Waaaaambulance. It was a hot couple of days, deal with it. The school has been there for over a 100 years, so far nobody has died from heat exhaustion. Suck it up for a couple days, it is better already.

Parent
My student has come home complaining about the extreme heat at MHS...some classes have been unable to use the classrooms, and are meeting outside, because the air quality is so bad. The conditions are not just uncomfortable, they are dangerous. For any children or staff with underlying medical issues, like asthma, heart disease, etc., they are being put at risk.

They need to mitigate the lack of AC, perhaps by bringing in window fans and running them all night to pull cooler, fresh air into the building, in addition to installing some strategically placed portable ACs. It's not just a little warm, it's sweltering, and kids are getting sick.

Administrators knew all year they would be returning in August, and they also knew that the work on the AC units would not be completed. This is just another example of poor management. The teachers have their union, the kids have no one advocating for them.

Where are the PTO members on this issue? Why aren't they speaking out and advocating for the students?

Why don't you go speak out? Do you attend the SC meetings? Did you go see the superintendent in person?

You have legitimate concerns her , folks! If the health and well-being of your kids are not important enough to show up at school committee meetings, then you deserve what you get - just remember the teachers, admins staff, and Ms. Taymore got their raises. Kids come last for this administration and school committee- remember that the next time you vote for these clowns!

Ok, let's vote for an override so that we can put AC in all the schools for the 2 days per school year when it is over 90 degrees.

Wambulance
Ok, let's vote for an override so that we can put AC in all the schools for the 2 days per school year when it is over 90 degrees.

Sure, just dismiss the concern (you sound an awful lot like CC on the s committee with your tone and phrasing). You can be as snarky as you obviously are compelled to be, but that doesn't help anyone. I for one don't like hearing about this problem because it demonstrates a situation that should and could have been managed well but clearly wasn't. Now students and teachers are paying a bad price. No one should have to be in overheated and poorly ventilated rooms, whether it's two days a year or 25 days. It's two too many. The override idea (it's still only that) has nothing to do with this. It's just bad management.

Grow up. So what, it was warm a couple of days. I have 3 kids between both buildings...no big deal. They said one day it was real hot...but no hotter than in my own house that doesn't have AC either. If they fully AC'd the buildings you @ssholes would play the other end by saying why are we paying outrageous electric bills to make these worthless teachers cool for 2 days a year.

Wow. Your house doesn't have AC. You're a real hero. I suggest you tell someone who actually gives a $hit about you, your house, or your opinion.

Boy, talk about making up issues to get excited about. This one has Myron written all over it. I recall going through the same thing back in the 50's and 60's. It was no big deal then and it's no big deal now.

My kids didn't mention it so I am not sure it was a big deal.

But I agree, we should add a proper ventilation system to the middle school and the highschool, so we can add this to the funds requested in the override, which I would definitely vote for.

Instead of Melrose "Red Raiders" how 'bout a more politically correct Melrose SWEAT HOGS![Piggy]

It may be a big surprise to some - but I can't take credit for this chain! When I was a young student, when it got this hot in classrooms, not much teaching or studying got done - we would all just hibernate!

However in this day and age, better steps need to be planned and taken by school management than letting young kids swelter in the heat. There is so much pressure now on school systems to increase student performance levels that every day in school and class counts! Nobody wins in these situations - therefore, better planning for some heat days needs to be done - but don't look to our current management staff for help because as the saying goes, "They are out to lunch!".

MM Whiners Unite
Grow up. So what, it was warm a couple of days. I have 3 kids between both buildings...no big deal. They said one day it was real hot...but no hotter than in my own house that doesn't have AC either. If they fully AC'd the buildings you @ssholes would play the other end by saying why are we paying outrageous electric bills to make these worthless teachers cool for 2 days a year.

You probably failed science....the reality is, you can't put 1000 human beings in a building with no ventilation....the heat is only one aspect of it. The carbon dioxide levels will keep rising until people start to feel sick; tired, dizzy, etc. The kids won't be learning anything, between the discomfort of the heat and being soaked in sweat, and the fact that their brains are not getting enough oxygen to stay alert and focused. These buildings were not designed to function without a working ventilation system.

What I would expect from the administrators is some communication home to explain what is going on, and what steps they are taking to mitigate the problem. Are they monitoring the air quality to make sure students are safe? Are they attempting to cool down the building by using fans, opening windows, etc.? Can the principal dip in to her PTO slush fund and go to Costco and get cases of water and some ice, and make it available to students?

Can they at least make sure that the service dog that guides the blind student is provided water frequently and is not at risk of heat exhaustion?

Hopefully the heat will pass soon, and the building will be more comfortable..in the mean time, the administrators have offered no communication to parents as to what happened to the ventilation system and when it will be fixed. Will the building have no heat in November? Will the inner, windowless classrooms have no ventilation at all until this is fixed? It's not a good feeling to have your kids in a system where the adults in charge seem so incompetent.

Wow! I watch the Big Bang Theory too. So, go to the SC meeting and give them this information.

Here is a big revelation for you "Love It". This website is in lieu of bringing anything before our school committee! Have you seen those meetings or have spoken during a public session? If you have, then you know how fruitless it is to bring anything before them and expect an answer, resolution, or any interest! Get real! They are a "show group" to give the impression that things are being done for students and parents, a big charade!

love it
Wow! I watch the Big Bang Theory too. So, go to the SC meeting and give them this information.

Why would it be necessary to go to a SC meeting to "give them this information"? It's not like it's any secret, everyone knows there is an issue with the ventilation system, including the SC and all the administrators.

You don't have to watch a TV sitcom to understand basic science. And it's not unreasonable to expect the school administration to explain what is going on to the parents whose tax dollars pay their salaries.

Don't worry peeps; we will be complaining about the cold and snow before you know it.

Parent, or should I say Ignorant parent...you're facts are incorrect. My guess is intentionally as they suit your anti Melrose agenda.

The ventilation in the building is fine and the fans are circulating air. There is no carbon dioxide issue or lack of oxygen. That part of the project is complete. The AC's are not on line yet.

You're entire response is meaningless except for its intent to distort the truth.

It appears you have some inside knowledge on the building. I'm guessing your whiney kid is coming home complaining about the heat. Send em out for some exercise and shed a few pounds.

MM Whiners Unite
Parent, or should I say Ignorant parent...you're facts are incorrect. My guess is intentionally as they suit your anti Melrose agenda.

The ventilation in the building is fine and the fans are circulating air. There is no carbon dioxide issue or lack of oxygen. That part of the project is complete. The AC's are not on line yet.

You're entire response is meaningless except for its intent to distort the truth.

It appears you have some inside knowledge on the building. I'm guessing your whiney kid is coming home complaining about the heat. Send em out for some exercise and shed a few pounds.

So the ventilation system in the building is working.....great! Why did I have to find this out on a stupid message board? Why couldn't the administrators post an update on the website?

If you don't want negative rumors about your school, the best defense is to simply act like a professional and communicate the CORRECT information to your stakeholders. It's not that hard. None of the parents know what is going on, all we know is what students tell us, and they are absolutely complaining about the heat; teachers are complaining too. Considering there are many internal classrooms with no windows, this is a concern.

No need to get so defensive, when my student athlete, who never complains, tells me it's too hot to concentrate in a few of those windowless classrooms, I believe it.

And yet Parent, you are on this "stupid message board" yourself. Did you complain in person when your "student athlete" gave you the information? Hopefully the dorms at Stanford have AC.

Parent, too late to run for cover. You made a big stink about nothing because it suited your anti Melrose agenda. My kids came home and said it was hot as well. They also asked an adult in the building what was going on with the air conditioning and were advised that the AC system wouldn't be ready until Ocotber but the fans were being turned on and it should help. I then confirmed it with an adult when I picked my kids up from practice. Basically we got the information in a manner that reflects rational sanity. We didn't need a robo call, an announcement or to look on MM to get the information. What your intentional distortions intentionally avoid is the fact that the City of Melrose spent $5,000,000 to put airconditioning in a building that never had it before so the building would be better for staff and teachers. That since the building was built in 1978 every student and teacher dealt with hot days in that building and finally something was done about it...by this administration that made it a priority. Ignorance is a learned behavior. Try to teach your little all star that sometimes its hot and he needs to deal with it, and that if he opens his mouth and asks intelligent questions he will be a step ahead of his ignorant parent.

NOT the "City of Melrose" paying 5 million for a new HVAC system, but rather the citizens who are paying via their taxes

your snide nastiness is your message

Thats right "think", don't respond to the facts, just whine some more...and complain, distort the facts, avoid, deflect, crticize, do nothing, repeat. Recipe for a MM Whiner.

It's over folks MM Whiners Unite wins by KNOCKOUT. Find a new topic to Whine about.

"The ventilation in the building is fine and the fans are circulating air. There is no carbon dioxide issue or lack of oxygen. That part of the project is complete. The AC's are not on line yet."

Did you receive results from a certified air quality study to confirm this? Since you are intent on marginalizing the concerns and claiming to have factual knowledge, where do you have proof of the safety of the air quality? Students and teachers have been forced to put up with toxic mold throughout the ceiling panels of that building for years, with a lot of negative health consequences. Has all of that been fully remediated? No. With the heat, humidity, and lack of appropriate ventilation during this construction period, the air quality is more toxic than ever. Parents and staff have every reason to be concerned. They can't expect this administration to be forthright about anything, let alone safety and health concerns, which they routinely marginalize. Someone should have called OSHA a long time ago, and perhaps now someone will. That agency can't address student issues, but it certainly can for the staff. Let's see how the snotty comments go when it's a federal agency investigating.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH More lies, more distortions and negative innuendo. In the midst of a major improvement to this facility the MM Whiners can't even acknowledge the positive change without lying to create issues where there are none. Inside, your hate for all things Melrose is crystal clear. Take your comments to your shrink and see if he can help you out. It's so pathetic that only a person with severe mental health issues wouldn't see it.

Seems that "MM Whiners" is the one with "hate" and psychological issues and an overwhelming compulsion to trash anyone and everyone who might have a concern, legitimate or otherwise. Certainly isn't someone with mature tolerance or compassion. So juvenile and makes the environment so toxic, speaking of toxic. If this is what "loving" Melrose now requires, then a culture change is drastically needed. How sad.

Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo

Big difference between legitimate concerns and making sh*t up.

No one has to make up anything because the truth is worse than anything that could be invented. So the ever-obsessed Vuvu/akaMMWhiners can crawl back into that dark hole and wait as the next round of disastrous news surfaces. Too bad the Fair isn't a couple of weeks later when there will be an urgent need for a huge deflection circus. Hang onto your hats, folks.

Thats right , don't respond to the facts, just whine some more...and complain, distort the facts, avoid, deflect, crticize, do nothing, repeat. Recipe for a MM Whiner.

I see we are now calling the idiot Melrose Haters, the "Melrose Whiners". More accepting I guess. Isn't political correctness grand?

I would rather call them the “The Fellowship of the Miserable”.

It's fascinating that suggesting something one might not like 'labels' them as a hater or whiner. So if there's something I'd like to see changed about the way this country is run, I'm a "USA hater"? Obviously that's absurd!

Willie
It's fascinating that suggesting something one might not like 'labels' them as a hater or whiner. So if there's something I'd like to see changed about the way this country is run, I'm a "USA hater"? Obviously that's absurd!

Unfortunately in Melrose this is the mentality, backwards as all getout. You might think we were in some remote backwater or hills community, but actually you'd probably find more civilized conduct in those places these days than here, where the bad behavior starts right there at City Hall and emanates outward. Those that label people with criticisms or concerns as "haters" in Melrose are the actual ones demonstrating hateful behavior, as they drape themselves in the flag and "Melrose Open to All" banners.

Too bad Robin Williams isn't still around because he'd manage to find a way to make it funny, so at least we could all get a good chuckle.

Well now, wait, maybe he did leave us something apropos....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfFzsqgaLtM

The typical Melrose messages whiner follows a pattern as seen in this thread. It begins with a false statement, ad hominem attack, distorted fact or a flat out lie. In this particular case the City of Melrose and the school department spent $5,000,000 upgrading the ventilation system and adding air conditioning to a building that had never had air conditioning since it was built in 1978. The tremendous majority of school buildings in Massachusetts do not have air conditioning, including the majority of new schools being built today. The project was done in less than 4 months, on time and on budget. For the record, the ventilation system was working and the building has been constantly monitored for air quality during the duration of the project. Instead of acknowledging the positive change for Melrose teachers and students, here is what the whiners did when their little cherubs faced the same heat wave in early September that the rest of the State did:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Someone should call OSHA for the toxic work conditions. It was and is a health hazard, and it certainly has meant that no learning could take place in those conditions.

The carbon dioxide levels will keep rising until people start to feel sick; tired, dizzy, etc. The kids won't be learning anything, between the discomfort of the heat and being soaked in sweat, and the fact that their brains are not getting enough oxygen to stay alert and focused. These buildings were not designed to function without a working ventilation system.
Did you receive results from a certified air quality study to confirm this? Since you are intent on marginalizing the concerns and claiming to have factual knowledge, where do you have proof of the safety of the air quality? Students and teachers have been forced to put up with toxic mold throughout the ceiling panels of that building for years, with a lot of negative health consequences. Has all of that been fully remediated? No. With the heat, humidity, and lack of appropriate ventilation during this construction period, the air quality is more toxic than ever.

Seems that "MM Whiners" is the one with "hate" and psychological issues and an overwhelming compulsion to trash anyone and everyone who might have a concern, legitimate or otherwise.

Please not the last sentence “trash anyone and everyone who might have a concern, legitimate or otherwise”. In this case “otherwise” must refer to a completely fabricated issue based on lies and distortions. There is no toxic air, no OSHA issues, just a September heat wave in Boston
This is the regular pattern. An issue is created where there is none, distortions of the truth and lies are thrown out all in an attempt to make the City look bad.

After being called out for the blatant false statements and lies a second whiner jumps in with the following:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Unfortunately in Melrose this is the mentality, backwards as all getout. You might think we were in some remote backwater or hills community, but actually you'd probably find more civilized conduct in those places these days than here, where the bad behavior starts right there at City Hall and emanates outward. Those that label people with criticisms or concerns as "haters" in Melrose are the actual ones demonstrating hateful behavior, as they drape themselves in the flag and "Melrose Open to All" banners.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this case the whiners lied, and then when they were called out a second whiner called Melrose uncivilized and blamed the Mayor. Classic behavior from a bunch of anti-Melrose, anti-Dolan haters.

You haven't "outed" anyone. Just a lot of angry ranting because you don't like it that people are more and more aware of what's going on. Good that it struck a nerve. You only "outed" yourself as a shill for City Hall.

Spot on "Outing"! The reply by "hmm" only further illustrates your point. Well done!

That's all you can say? This entire issue was a fabrication and a lie of the worst kind...it commented on the health and safety of kids...with no merit or evidence. There is nothing to low for the MM Whiners. Angry ranting about what's going on? Certainly. There is a small crowd of mentally ill adults willing to make up any type of outrageous lie because they don't like the Mayor, Superintendent or the school committee. It's completely pathetic.

heat wave has ended crises over

Outing the MM Whiners
That's all you can say? This entire issue was a fabrication and a lie of the worst kind...it commented on the health and safety of kids...with no merit or evidence. There is nothing to low for the MM Whiners. Angry ranting about what's going on? Certainly. There is a small crowd of mentally ill adults willing to make up any type of outrageous lie because they don't like the Mayor, Superintendent or the school committee. It's completely pathetic.

I would suggest several hundred kids coming home to their parents complaining about the heat is evidence enough. This knucklehead who claims to be "outing the MM Whiners" clearly works in air-conditioned space and doesn't give a crap about your kids...but then again, who in the school administration does?

There were 350 communities in MA with kids in school and 3000 other
Kids in Melrose. Only the d bags here were complaining

please

Not all those other communities have a school district as poorly run as Melrose. Some even have appropriate facilities management! Call people names if that's all you have in your intellectual or emotional toolchest, but the truth is still the truth.

please

Again, this coming from another loser who probably works in air conditioned facilities while your kids were roasting in 80+ degree temperatures in the classrooms for several days. But much like the administration, he doesn't care about your kids.

Now, now "please", lets not give the whiners the opportunity to change the subject by calling them names. They are ready willing and able to deflect, divert and distort the truth at any opportunity...and revert back to the old mantra "the school district is poorly run" any time they get pinched in a flat out lie, as was the case with the toxic and dangerous building condition claims that started this thread.

Point was in the right direction However. In Melrose only the whiners would blame a heat wave on the Mayor and the school administration while the other communities in the State did what kids and families have been doing for a 200 years...deal with it.

Grow up, "Outing"! How would you know what went on 200 years ago (as if that were even relevant)? Probably kids and teachers wouldn't have been stuffed in unventilated rooms for school days (they probably had windows that could open). Certainly there were ugly, juvenile characters like yourself shilling for the local politicians and resorting to any kind of rhetoric necessary for political expedience. That, unfortunately, is the dark side of human nature. But fortunately, that is not the only side of the picture, and there is still a portion of the population more interested in reason and truth.

"Outing" - Keep it up. It is great to see you expose their real agendas!

Oops, now I went and did it as well.

"Now, now "please", lets not give the whiners the opportunity to change the subject by calling them names. They are ready willing and able to deflect, divert and distort the truth at any opportunity"

While you are up on the high horse "Adult", please comment on the outrageous lies and accusations the initial poster made on this string and try to focus less on the minor details.

1 2 3