Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MHS below state average for AP scores

http://403vx628u78g1sx42w46scuxz4w.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2014/12/MHS-Five-Year-School-AP-Score-Summary2.pdf

Right from the district "data dashboard":

% of Total AP Students with Scores 3+ (passing scores)
2010 68.7 Melrose 72.8 State
2011 74.8 Melrose 72.8 State
2012 68.7 Melrose 73.9 State
2013 64.3 Melrose 72.6 State
2014 63.4 Melrose 72.2 State

So with all the Taymore and School Committee hoopla touting all the great initiatives of this administration (all those pages of bunk in the superintendent evaluation and school committee evaluation "evidence"), here it is. Bad enough that SATs and ACTs are so atrocious, but this administration touts the Advanced Placement program and Guidance practically forces students to enroll in APs, even when the student and/or teacher is totally unprepared. And this administration has the gall to come before the public and request more increases for superintendent and administration, while the SC rates itself "Exemplary"!

And here's the SC "Rolling Agenda", complete with plans for administrative raises, I kid you not!
http://1i8brn1xoauz1pwsvo1ktb7vb1q.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Rolling-Agenda-2015-April-July-03.31.15.pdf
July 28, 2015: "Approve Nonunion raises, Vote to approve pot of money for Superintendent to give raises"
(It actually says that!)

Outstanding! And these are the same people who think the public is dumb enough to vote for an override, on top of millions more this year for the basic school budget, PLUS $5.3 million for MHS renovations, $1.5 million for technology upgrade, etc. etc. etc.

Re: MHS below state average for AP scores

We have dumber kids today than in the past......

The Truth

Now here is one of those so called "concerned and interested adults" in Melrose who believes that education can make a difference! What a bozo!

The Truth

So you believe that Melrose has dumber kids than those from other parts of the state?? Or are YOU just dumber?

Percentages alone don't tell the story. I'd be interested in knowing the actual numbers. If twice as many kids are now taking AP classes than 3 years ago, and sixty six percent of those are now getting 3+ thats a good thing. That means that if 30 new students signed up for AP classes and 20 of them passed the test, thats 30 kids upping their expectations and 20 of them receiving a passing grade. How is that a bad thing?

Nice job trying to spin poor numbers. With a marked overall decline over the past few years and results that prove poor performance compared with the state average, it takes a lot of nerve (and an obvious agenda) to try and portray this as a good thing. Students are being hurt by administrators and politicians who are playing games with their futures. "upping their expectations" = Baloney!

Statistics
Percentages alone don't tell the story. I'd be interested in knowing the actual numbers. If twice as many kids are now taking AP classes than 3 years ago, and sixty six percent of those are now getting 3+ thats a good thing. That means that if 30 new students signed up for AP classes and 20 of them passed the test, thats 30 kids upping their expectations and 20 of them receiving a passing grade. How is that a bad thing?

STATE AVERAGE, Below the State Average! That means in comparison to the entire state, with lots of districts who don't have SmartBoards in every classroom. Even if more kids took the tests, it also means more of them FAILED, and relative to the state, Melrose does not measure up. And that's not the kids' fault!!!! It's the fault of all those who are trying to excuse away this district spiraling down the drain.

"And here's the SC "Rolling Agenda", complete with plans for administrative raises, I kid you not!
http://1i8brn1xoauz1pwsvo1ktb7vb1q.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Rolling-Agenda-2015-April-July-03.31.15.pdf
July 28, 2015: "Approve Nonunion raises, Vote to approve pot of money for Superintendent to give raises"
(It actually says that!)"

This is absolutely incredible. No wonder people think parents of Melrose are gullible. This is possibly the most cynical thing the Committee has ever posted (and also the most revealing). Just incredible and pretty much says it all.

As you may recall, they did the same thing last year. Mid summer $40,000 for Super's Admin staff bonuses. No deliberation, no discussion, nothing. Carrie K is the only one who voted no and commented how disgraceful it was. And the Pre-K elementary moms wonder where the extra paras and K-classrooms could be funded??

OMG
"And here's the SC "Rolling Agenda", complete with plans for administrative raises, I kid you not!

This is absolutely incredible. No wonder people think parents of Melrose are gullible. This is possibly the most cynical thing the Committee has ever posted (and also the most revealing). Just incredible and pretty much says it all.

This is nothing - just wait until they decide on another raise for our illustrious Superintendent! Then on to begin negotiations for the next teacher's contract - already, their sycophants are telling us that they are still underpaid - remember the 25% payraise they got over 3 years with the last contract?- just like the raises you and I got! Hold on to your wallets, residents - also an override is just around the corner - compliments of the school committee, Mayor Dolan, and Super Taymore - what a team - winners all!!!!!

Myron, you are a looser.

I think you meant loser, loser...

Rob
Myron, you are a looser.

Such predictable illiteracy and ignorance coming from Vuvu and her ilk!

los·er
ˈlo͞ozər/
noun
noun: loser; plural noun: losers

a person or thing that loses or has lost something, especially a game or contest.
synonyms: defeated person, also-ran, runner-up
"the loser still gets the silver medal"
antonyms: winner
a person who accepts defeat with good or bad grace, as specified.
"we won fair and square—they should concede that and be good losers"
a person or thing that is put at a disadvantage by a particular situation or course of action.
"children are the losers when politicians keep fiddling around with education"
informal
a person who fails frequently or is generally unsuccessful in life.
"a ragtag community of rejects and losers"
synonyms: failure, underachiever, ne'er-do-well, write-off, has-been; More
misfit, freak, unpopular person;
informalgeek, dweeb, nerd, hoser;
flop, no-hoper, washout, busted flush, lemon
"he's a complete loser"
antonyms: success
Bridge
a card that is expected to be part of a losing trick.

OMG

"Vote to approve pot of money for Superintendent to give raises"

Wow.

Well this is obviously how they think. Maybe this was Thorp and Driscoll (they are absolutely joined at the hip after all) thinking they were being cute in making their draft "Rolling Agenda" but there's nothing amusing from a taxpayer's point of view. And these are the gals (along with Melrose's very own "education expert") who want to bamboozle the entire city into approving an override! To quote Colonel Potter: Horse Pucky (and lots of it--like a whole POT full)!