Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The enemy of truth in Melrose

from today's Boston Globe, Joan Vennochi: "As visitors enter the John F. Kennedy Library, the first stop is a biographical film that includes the late president speaking at Yale University’s commencement in June 1962: “The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived, and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”"

There is very disturbing actual truth based on irrefutable fact about Melrose in circulation right now. There is also the "deliberate, contrived, and [openly] dishonest" being vigorously circulated by officials.

What's even more disturbing though is that the teflon-coated myth about this "hot zip code" is being circulated with more stubborn assertion, directly and by default. Go to any function and listen to the entrenched "leaders" try to pass off the serious matters now surfacing about 2 federal civil rights investigations as just another "tempest [of the haters] in a teapot," or worse just dismissing such things as not even worth a mention. Then look at virtually all of the Melrose social media sites and try to find a single mention of anything of substance. Instead there are lengthy discussions about traffic patterns, rankings of local hair salons, trimming cat nails, the preponderance of pizza shops, helping the zoo, extensive pro-override discussions (that are allowed by site administrators, while criticisms are quickly removed), etc.

Instead of the caring, passionate and open dialogue that other communities naturally open when confronted with deeply disturbing news, Melrose seems content to bury its collective head in the "persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic" myth that appears on the mayor's blog or school/parent websites, in too many public discussions (limited as they are in the "unrealistic" focus), in every coffee and pizza shop, on every playground. Time for the discourse in Melrose to mature and responsibly connect to the reality and demonstrate a stronger community conscience, if not for the grown-ups (who may be too far down their insulated, self-concerned path), at least for the sake of the children who deserve better. There's nothing wrong with loving one's home and community unconditionally. Part of loving it in a responsible way should include fixing catastrophic problems and being constantly aware of those that may be brewing potentially, just as you would as a responsible homeowner, where looking the other way might just mean that the termites win or the roof actually caves in, or the situation in the schools is now so bad that the United States government has to investigate insidious and overt wrong-doing that has gone unaddressed by local authorities.

Re: The enemy of truth in Melrose

"At that 1962 Yale speech, he [JFK] went on, “Too often we hold fast to the clichés of our forebearers. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

The discomfort of thought has the potential to draw in a crowd. But it can’t happen without more truth, openness, and debate first."

Re: The enemy of truth in Melrose

When the Override goes down in flames reality will force the budget process to change. The slush fund accounts, "free cash", and paying for salaries and services under one department line item for something totally different will come out in the open. The BOA are responsible for allocating, authorizing and accounting for every penny in our municipal budget. The last two years have been shameful. The rare time when someone shows leadership or has the guts to question another bond item that increases taxes, there is a "silent majority" of men and women who say/do nothing. Debate is closed down and then the BOA members who are "in the bag" for various reasons (including GIC) give Dolan the $ requests on the spot. If the parking spaces were not owned by The Cinella family, I doubt it would have been given the go ahead as an additional and questionable bond. The water and sewer budget is a prime example of irresponsible government and will be cited as one of the main reasons the Override is defeated. The calculator that residents can check to see how much their RE taxes will go up is deliberately manipulative. Interesting to see that Wards 3, 5 and 7 have more than one candidate this time. I don't know anything about the first time office seekers.....nothing about their priorities, agendas or political affiliations. I will venture to guess that they will get many votes and perhaps unseat Wright, Infurna and Tramontozzi. Sad state of affairs that there are 4 BOA Incumbants running unopposed which limits debate and ensures some of the status quo of ineffective governing continues. I will leave my Ward vote blank since no one is running against the current office holder. I may only vote for 3 "At Large" candidates....DC, MM and JD. MBMM must go. I can't quite support MZ.....maybe or maybe not.....I worry he owes RD for his wife's job and that he is too close to GI.

I can't write a word about the SC debacle or I'd have to take a blood pressure pill.