Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MD Intends to Be SC Chair Again and Biz Mgr Elsewhere

School Comm Nov 10 PT 2
https://vimeo.com/145349148

This is a disaster already unfolding. MD stated at the last SC mtg that she intends to be a candidate (meaning in the bag) for SC chair again. In case everyone has forgotten she was a horrible chair before and also chair of the superintendent search committee that resulted in CT and numerous violations of state law.

She has also been on internal blogs for school business administrators (she is now certified as one and is actively seeking a job) asking whether it's standard for business managers to be required to attend school committee meetings, meaning she intends to try and get a job in another district but be chair of this SC simultaneously. Can you spell M-E-G-A-L-O-M-A-N-I-A-C ??? Since CT and RD already take marching orders from her, why doesn't MD just go for super and mayor while she's at it (and of course keep doing her nauseating blog)?

Granted there aren't any good choices for SC chair (except one, and doubtful she'd take it or even more doubtful that any of the hacks currently on the committee would vote for her). But it shouldn't happen this way, that is unless Melrose really wants RD's most strident (and Certifiable!) mouthpiece to be at the helm again. Honestly it would be preferable to have the convict as chair!

Also crazy that apparently they are planning to have outgoing members vote for the new chair and at the same time have incoming new members who haven't even taken their oath of office or gone through their state-mandated training do a "preliminary" vote for chair next Tuesday. It's all nuts! Whether any of this is legal or not, it's crazy and shows just how little any of these nutjobs care about their elected roles serving the public.

Re: MD Intends to Be SC Chair Again and Biz Mgr Elsewhere

More of the continuing contemptuous and disastrous mismanagement of the district

More
More of the continuing contemptuous and disastrous mismanagement of the district

Yes, but in a perverse sort of turnaround, this time people are watching, and her off the wall antics will be plain for one and all to see. Maybe we have to suffer through one more year before the total dysfunction will so blatantly obvious to everyone that some meaningful corrective action occurs.

As much as it turns my stomach to have the felon on the SC, he at least has stated publicly that he won't stand for the "marginalization" of the one SC member who actually has a clue. Keeping my fingers crossed. LDS? Not much hope for that one.

It is apparent that the Mayor still doesn't get it. I cannot believe she got re-elected. Was the fix in? Basically, the fact that she got voted back in by the highest vote count shows that many in Melrose just don't care about the role of the administration in the Civil Rights debacle.

I hope DeSelm and O'C show some independence. It is outrageous that members who did not run again get to vote for chair fir the term when they are no longer on the sc.

Not sure if it makes any difference- but the SC charter has always had the vote the first week of December- but, in an election year, that vote is preliminary, and it is the vote in January that actually elects the Chair. I checked out the SC Charter on line.

Question marks indeed.....what the heck is the point of a "preliminary" election?

I agree- I was just quoting the "rules" from the SC Charter. Seems silly to me.

More

And some people wonder why the Override failed almost 2 to 1.....outgoing members like KT and DC have no right to cast a vote for Chair of a SC to which they have not been elected.....

True, But.......
Question marks indeed.....what the heck is the point of a "preliminary" election?
The reason seems obvious. The December vote with outgoing members would obviously go MD's way. In January, incoming members would be hard pressed to upset the apple cart by voting against MD as newbies or be subjected to harassment by Dolan, Margaret Driscoll, Kristin Thorp and crew just as CKK found out. (Everyone knows how that goes by watching SC meetings on MMTV). It's a way to preserve that secret club atmosphere at SC meetings where transparency, accountability, public participation and lawfulness are tossed aside. Classic Melrose politics.

Hopefully Liz DeSelm won't end up being the same disappointment that Jessica Dugan turned out to be....!

She already is.

Hope you are right. It is too bad because together, CKK, Dugan, DeSelm, Casatelli and O'Connell could collectively stop the insanity and nastiness going on at SC meetings if they will just get some backbone. Wouldn't that be refreshing to return to some normalcy at SC meetings like all the other towns and cities around us? Job number one should be to abolish the McCarthyist Norms, used with regularity to silence any SC members or civilians calling for transparency, civility, public participation and lawfulness. Only CKK has stood up to them and said she will not abide by them, as they contradict good governance with transparency and the oath of office taken by all SC members.

CC is directly part of all this, fully supports those backwards Norms. She & DC are the longest serving, having shepherded, as it were, this committee straight into the dumpster in which it now finds itself.